Helpful ReplyTrying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
Author
gospeltunes
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2010/12/31 11:15:11 (permalink)

Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6

About a year ago I was planning on switching from a Roland VS 2480 to Sonar.   However my money situation changed and I was unable to do it.  Now I am ready to make the change.  I’ve already sold off a lot of my studio equipment  (including the 2480) so I can buy a computer (from Studio Cat), software, and good interface (most likely RME though octa-capture looks interesting). 
But now I am having second thoughts about which software to use.  I was looking at Pro Tools 9, Sonar, and Presonus Studio One, and I have narrowed it down to Sonar X1 and Studio One 1.6. 

Here’s my take so far (from reading various professional reviews and forum posts):
Sonar X1 – more features, much better MIDI tools, better virtual instruments, Pro Channel, great usuer's forum
Studio One 1.6 – basic tools well implemented, unique mastering tools, great mix engine, potentially a really great upside
Any advice or comments?   I could really use some helpful information.  I really only have the time to learn one of them. Thanks.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 11:21:53 (permalink)
Which one do you think has the prettier looking gui?

Just kidding.

I think you have a tough choice to make... you should try them both out. I tried a demo of everything I was considering before I became a Cakewalk customer.

Does Presonus Studio One have a demo available?

Good luck.

best regards,
mike

datadog
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 12:28:13 (permalink)
There is a 30 day demo for Studio One Pro. They have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. The 64 bit version is new. I installed the 32 bit version the other day and started playing with it. It works very well, so far. It's very stable, has a 64 bit bit audio engine like Sonar and the GUI is similar to X1's. It's browser is bi-directional as of version 1.6, so you can drag and drop in both directions. One negative is there's no Direct X support but it supports VST 3. There have been many feature improvements in the 1.6 version with many more to be implemented in future releases. I was reading all the fine print on their website about the development of Studio One. They've got a team of experienced German DAW designers that have implemented new code techniques to achieve their goals. That to me is a positive approach.

I have been a loyal Cakewalk user since Cakewalk 3 and have followed them through the Pro- Audio years, through the Sonar development era and have upgraded to each version. Sonar 8.53 is working great for me and is my every day program. I even keep an old DAW around that has Pro Audio 9 installed for compatibility with old projects and I still use it! But now I'm not so sure about a move to X1 with all the issues people are reporting, the half implemented and broken features. The C++ issue concerns me. What other software conflicts are in it? I'll definitely wait for a few fixes before I upgrade. I don't want to go back to the days of problems like I had in the early Sonar days. It seems that X1 may still have enough old code under it's hood that maybe some features can not/ will not be fixed. Time will only tell. I'd like to hear more from the X1 development team about what's under the hood.

There is no X1 demo at this time so I decided to try Presonus Studio One and so far, I'm impressed. I'll be spending more time with it next week. I haven't opened the manual for Studio One yet and haven't needed to. It's very intuitive. Their development team is listening to the user base and they are improving this program all the time. Presonus seems very serious about the competition in the DAW market. The demo is worth a try!

It's going to be a tough decision whether to convert to Studio One or upgrade to Sonar X1. There is a crossgrade discount for Sonar and other DAW users. Maybe this competition will speed up the fixes for X1, otherwise there may be a lot of users looking elsewhere. -My 2$

datadog
http://www.518music.com

i7 920, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Mushkin DDR3 1600, ATI Radeon HD 5450, RME Fireface UFX, UAD2's, Windows7 x64, Sonar X3C x64, Reaper 4 x64, Studio One Pro V2.61 x64, NI Komplete 6, Waves v9 Gold, SSL Bundle x64.
Funkybot
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 796
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 13:06:20 (permalink)
I've been a Sonar user since version 1, and I'm going to be taking a look at Studio One Pro in the near future. Right now, that and Reaper are at the top of my list. However, Reaper's relatively weak MIDI features would likely mean I'd have to keep Sonar around for heavy MIDI programming (which I don't like). I'm hoping Studio One will be the happy medium between the two (Reaper's efficiency/stability, Cakewalk's MIDI and usability). Reaper scores huge points for having features like varispeed though. It's tough. No one DAW is perfect.

Intel i7 4790k, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 x64,  UAD2 Duo, RME Fireface 800, Sonar X1/X2 Producer
cornieleous
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 13:28:51 (permalink)
I would definitely spend a bit of time with the demo of each. Although it does use up a bit of time, you really need to spend that to know if the software works in a way you get along with. It may be that either one is a viable option for you, or you may find you like one or the other very much better. I hate to say it, but there is no escape from putting in the time to check these out yourself unless you are comfortable with the possibility of ending up with a non optimal solution. There is not really a DAW software on the market that has gotten everything right and is the clear winner.

D
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 14:05:48 (permalink)
One factor I'd suggest considering is the support available - both formal from the developer, and informal via forums etc. If you have a problem with the DAW or a question about how to do something, how quickly/easily can you get an answer to your problem/question?

If the answer is coming from the user-base via a forum then how experienced in recording/synthesis/digital audio is that user base? How experienced are they with the DAW in question? How big is that forum and how far back does it go (the bigger/older, the more likely your question has apready been answered).

Other than that, I'd say X1 is getting some justifiable flak over a few issues, and a lot of flak as a result of a completely new interface. Said new interface has probably caused confusion to reign most amongst the people most familiar with previous versions. Someone without that previous experience may well find things less traumatic.
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 14:24:13 (permalink)
This video shows a song created from start to finish using Studio One. I've not found something similar for Sonar. It's a great marketing tool.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/5201.page

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
gospeltunes
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 16:00:38 (permalink)
cornieleous

I would definitely spend a bit of time with the demo of each. Although it does use up a bit of time, you really need to spend that to know if the software works in a way you get along with. It may be that either one is a viable option for you, or you may find you like one or the other very much better. I hate to say it, but there is no escape from putting in the time to check these out yourself unless you are comfortable with the possibility of ending up with a non optimal solution. There is not really a DAW software on the market that has gotten everything right and is the clear winner.

D

I see how I can demo Studio One, but is there any way to demo SonarX1 without buying it?  Thanks for all of the replies.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 16:06:18 (permalink)

No there's no way to demo X1.

But a lot of people here say it is the best they have ever used.

I believe them... but I do not agree.

Good Luck,
mike

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 17:05:46 (permalink)
I have been test driving Presonus Studio One lately. And it is great that you can do this as well for free and spend a month testing.  This is what it can do which is the way I really like to work: 

You can loop over a section of music (or play straight through) and if you have external instruments you can jump tracks, go in and out of record, you can drag new virtual instruments from the browser into the session (and loops), select a preset, go out of record, rehearse, go back into record, record new data, switch tracks, drag an audio effect over a virtual instrument, drag out a loop, jump tracks go in and out of record again all while the music plays and it does this all without a single glitch. This is great for mixing too because you can do everything without stopping. 

Sonar cannot do this. (I like Sonar a lot and would love to be able to do this!) I have tried it many times and you simply have to stop at some point (or it glitches, especially when you start inserting synths) in order to continue this continuous process  etc. This simply slows the workflow, Studio One keeps it all going and you end up making the music faster. Somehow the priority is on keeping the music playing at all costs. I have found this to be a good feature. I know not all work this way but I am finding it a revelation. This type of performance is obviously aimed at composers making music, which includes me.

And you can turn the metronome on and off with a single keystroke too! External hardware midi timing is rock solid no matter how hard the CPU is working or how many audio processes are going on. Sonar seems to alter the feel of the external midi timing when under a lot of audio load (on my system anyway) This would not effect many of you but it is important to me as I still use some external midi devices. 

I am also a big K System fan and S1 has it built in as standard, very nice. No need to get a special plugin to do it.

It seems to use a little less  CPU horsepower to do the same thing. I don't have to upgrade my computer to make X1 run well. S1 runs perfectly on my existing system. The concept of writing a completely new program from the ground up is a good one. Many DAW's cannot do this. X1 is not new from the ground up as are many other programs too. They just keep changing things around and bolting stuff on.  

In relation to support I had one little issue setting up the demo and the support was fast and excellent.  

Instruments are only OK compared to Sonar. That is one area Sonar really shines for me. But if you have a lot of third party instruments then it is not so much of an issue. Sonar is very well developed in certain areas that S1 is not, so it is a matter of how you work and exactly what it is you want to do. But do give it a shot. So far I have found there is not much I cannot do with S1. But for others that won't be the case. The best thing you can do is download the demo and try out a project and see how you go.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/12/31 18:13:37

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 17:08:35 (permalink)
I just watched that production video and my jaw hit the floor when the guy started strumming guitar.

Usually these videos start with "and now you drag this into here and look we're done".

The production value was fairly low but the info content was very high.

best,
mike

TStranger
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 17:17:02 (permalink)
tlw

One factor I'd suggest considering is the support available - both formal from the developer, 

Yeah I hate it when the best reverb effect I possess is the echo back of my voice in an empty support forum  (help -elp -elp -elp -elp....).  Sonar's forum is pretty darn good (the activity, not the echo..hehe).
post edited by TStranger - 2010/12/31 17:18:34

TS
1970 Gibson L5  -  Taylor Custom GS - PRS Hollowbody II - Surh Strat and Tele - PRS 305 - 1968 Fender Tele

SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 20:15:01 (permalink)
gospeltunes

About a year ago I was planning on switching from a Roland VS 2480 to Sonar.   However my money situation changed and I was unable to do it.  Now I am ready to make the change.  I’ve already sold off a lot of my studio equipment  (including the 2480) so I can buy a computer (from Studio Cat), software, and good interface (most likely RME though octa-capture looks interesting). 
But now I am having second thoughts about which software to use.  I was looking at Pro Tools 9, Sonar, and Presonus Studio One, and I have narrowed it down to Sonar X1 and Studio One 1.6. 

Here’s my take so far (from reading various professional reviews and forum posts):
Sonar X1 – more features, much better MIDI tools, better virtual instruments, Pro Channel, great usuer's forum
Studio One 1.6 – basic tools well implemented, unique mastering tools, great mix engine, potentially a really great upside
Any advice or comments?   I could really use some helpful information.  I really only have the time to learn one of them. Thanks.

Jeff Evans

I have been test driving Presonus Studio One lately. And it is great that you can do this as well for free and spend a month testing.  This is what it can do which is the way I really like to work: 

You can loop over a section of music (or play straight through) and if you have external instruments you can jump tracks, go in and out of record, you can drag new virtual instruments from the browser into the session (and loops), select a preset, go out of record, rehearse, go back into record, record new data, switch tracks, drag an audio effect over a virtual instrument, drag out a loop, jump tracks go in and out of record again all while the music plays and it does this all without a single glitch. This is great for mixing too because you can do everything without stopping. 

Sonar cannot do this. (I like Sonar a lot and would love to be able to do this!) I have tried it many times and you simply have to stop at some point (or it glitches, especially when you start inserting synths) in order to continue this continuous process  etc. This simply slows the workflow, Studio One keeps it all going and you end up making the music faster. Somehow the priority is on keeping the music playing at all costs. I have found this to be a good feature. I know not all work this way but I am finding it a revelation. This type of performance is obviously aimed at composers making music, which includes me.

And you can turn the metronome on and off with a single keystroke too! External hardware midi timing is rock solid no matter how hard the CPU is working or how many audio processes are going on. Sonar seems to alter the feel of the external midi timing when under a lot of audio load (on my system anyway) This would not effect many of you but it is important to me as I still use some external midi devices. 

I am also a big K System fan and S1 has it built in as standard, very nice. No need to get a special plugin to do it.

It seems to use a little less  CPU horsepower to do the same thing. I don't have to upgrade my computer to make X1 run well. S1 runs perfectly on my existing system. The concept of writing a completely new program from the ground up is a good one. Many DAW's cannot do this. X1 is not new from the ground up as are many other programs too. They just keep changing things around and bolting stuff on.  

In relation to support I had one little issue setting up the demo and the support was fast and excellent.  

Instruments are only OK compared to Sonar. That is one area Sonar really shines for me. But if you have a lot of third party instruments then it is not so much of an issue. Sonar is very well developed in certain areas that S1 is not, so it is a matter of how you work and exactly what it is you want to do. But do give it a shot. So far I have found there is not much I cannot do with S1. But for others that won't be the case. The best thing you can do is download the demo and try out a project and see how you go.

I think both you guys summed it pretty well, I agree Sonar has overall better sound collections (VI) not surprising since CW has been around for quite some time.   As for features Sonar has more but are they 'all' very well implemented?... to be fair some features are outstanding and is the reason why I remain with Sonar.

There are some quality features within Studio One Pro, IMO 'the best quality' Time/Pitch, Transpose and Tempo tools,  yeah the quality is really that good and easy to use (nicely implemented).  But those tools/features are in their early stage, possibly improved in the next upgrade 2.0 to add auto and groove options which will speed up the workflow ten-fold!   Another area that's pretty cool are the envelopes workflows including 'part automation'.  Anyway there's a few videos on their site or YouTube (for larger display) that demonstrates these features.

Areas lacking for example; the Midi Editor you cannot display more than one midi-track in the Midi Editor like you can in Sonar. Basically Studio One Pro is a little short on features (midi editor) compared to the likes of Sonar which IMO for anyone heavily into Midi will probably want to use Sonar but why not have both Sonar and Studio One Pro?... use Sonar for all Midi VI workflow, editing then do audio editing in Studio One Pro, I think eventually Studio One Pro will improve in areas such as the Midi editor.

I also agree that support is good at Presonus, and they hang around the forums quite a lot and are very helpful.   I did try the demo about a year ago but later couldn't remember my user-name, password and my ISP had changed (could not retrieve pw) anyway Jonathan insisted he can sort that out for me and did so very quickly (simply sent him a message with my details ~ resolved the issue)!   Also there was a timing issue with some interfaces, I posted about it on the forums and in the next update fix (free) that issue was resolved.   Others posted the need for more features (wish-list) and a some of those got included in the later update 1.6.  Overall I think Presonus do listen to their customers and are pretty quick at resolving issues.

I have not yet purchased Studio One Pro and therefor no longer have it on my PC, but to be honest I'm seriously considering purchasing and with the spare change left-over I will update to Sonar X1.  Yeah I think It be nice to have both.

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 20:39:56 (permalink)
Studio One is a pretty click DAW. Great audio engine, awesome interface, very intelligently designed.

The drawbacks at the moment are: surround, video, and audio quantizing. Then little things like track folders and whatnot. 

As the most recent DAW to come out, it really benefits from everything that came before. I think in a few versions when they finish back-filling some features it'll be a pretty powerful beast.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 21:54:31 (permalink)
...wicked

Studio One is a pretty click DAW. Great audio engine, awesome interface, very intelligently designed.

The drawbacks at the moment are: surround, video, and audio quantizing. Then little things like track folders and whatnot. 

As the most recent DAW to come out, it really benefits from everything that came before. I think in a few versions when they finish back-filling some features it'll be a pretty powerful beast.

Yeah it's audio quantizing it still in it's early development, for now the workflow is done manually along with other tools such as; amplitude, pitch and transpose, but it's well implemented (tools readily available in the Inspector, easy to use), when adjusting the amplitude you can see the wav/clip change accordingly.   Oh well I'm guessing the 'auto and groove options' might be added in the next upgrade 2.0.  Video workflow did get enhanced (1.6) but I haven't tried it, and yeah there's no surround (hmmm I didn't think about that, I don't plan on doing surround but for other that do? I guess that would be a bummer)!

wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 22:29:50 (permalink)
If you are a cut and paste type, a looper and so forth Studio One may not be for you.
Sonar is the better choice.

However if you are a traditional musician used to playing live, old school with chops and only using basic overdubbing and so forth rather than playing around with audio snap and so forth, Studio One is the ticket.

The only thing really missing is scoring and you can find free programs to do that.

Windows 8 x64
Intel i7 950 3.06ghz 6 GB DDR3 1333(1066) OCZ memory
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R v.2.0
Delta 66.
Seagate 1.0tb drives x4 OS, Audio, VST, Backup Stuff. 
Mackie MCU Pro Latest.
Faderport.
Sonar X2, PreSonus 2.x, Reaper.

dgrm44
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 23:29:54 (permalink)
When Studio One implements a FREEZE function similar to Sonars, then I will take a serious look at it...until then I await Cakewalks X1b patch.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2010/12/31 23:55:32 (permalink)
Studio One definitely has a FREEZE function. It is not quite as fast as Sonar but there for sure. Also Video can be imported now as well. 1.6 is quite a different animal than version 1. There are 80 new features! Still no surround from what I can see. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 00:38:43 (permalink)
Yes I  just downloaded Studio one and am spedninngthe next month running through the free demo. 64 bit VST2.4 and 3 support, x64, can use jbridge for bridging 32 bit VST's aand a fully working demo of the current model.

I'm going to work with SONAR 8.5.3
Test Studio One fully for 30 days.
Let X1 keep baking through its updates

They offer a great crossgrade price for Studio One @ $299 for the full version.

You never know what might happen in 30 days.

To cap it off I may even have a serious look at the Studio Live 24.4.2 desk and replace all my Mackie Onyx 1640 as well as all my other IO. just thinking.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Babe1
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 01:04:24 (permalink)
I have fooled around with Studio One's demo in the past and I'm currently giving it a very close look and am liking it more and more.  Nothing against Sonar but I just like working on Mac instead of PC.

Some of the things that Sonar has that Studio One doesn't are track folders, freeze, event view, and staff view.  Jeff Evans, in the post above says SO definitely has a freeze function, if it's there, I can't find it and it's not mentioned in the manuel.  

SO does some things different that other DAW.  They have abandoned midi no more 0-127. Instead everything is 0-100, but you can get down to a reading like 45.32 although this is tough to do in automation and such as the only way to adjust these parameters is by moving nodes, no way to adjust by numbers.

Without folders, having a lot of tracks is a problem.  To make matters worse, you can have automation tracks that are assigned to a specific instrument (mdi) track, but they are shown as any other tracks, no indentation and you can't hide any tracks.  Imagine having a project with 100 instrument tracks with 2 automation tracks each; 300 tracks.  Instead of having all these automation tracks, you can do automation in the instrument track ala X1 or in what they call the edit view which in Sonar, is the PRV.  BTW, there is no PRV in the track view in SO.  

I think SO is very well thought out and with enhancements sure to come, will become a major player in the future.  Try the demo to see if it's to your liking.   
gospeltunes
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 03:22:14 (permalink)
Again thanks for all of the replies.  So it seems that it will be best to try out the Studio One demo to see if I like it.  If after 30 days I don't like it, then hopefully the programmers at Cakewalk would have had enough time to fix most of the major bugs of X1.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 03:41:42 (permalink)
I think you probably need to balnce out your expectations a bit.

As far as fixes go with SONAR their is usually one update that has quite some significant feature improvements or additions.

That certainly won't be X1b which we've already been told was to be the first update but they split it into 2 parts to get us some immediate bug relief in X1a with the 'b' part of the update as a pretty quick follow-up, probably towards the end of this month.

I fully expect that we will get the last update (bar any unforseen breakages which we've had in the past and even in this first release) in March to April 2011. and that will be it until SONAR X2. Of course that's only specualtion but its based on a pretty good understanding of the past update release cycles.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 03:55:51 (permalink)
mike_mccue

I just watched that production video and my jaw hit the floor when the guy started strumming guitar.

Usually these videos start with "and now you drag this into here and look we're done".

The production value was fairly low but the info content was very high.

best,
mike

In fairness, "the guy" isn't a Presonus employee.  He's just another Studio One convert (from Cubase) who is very friendly and likes to share his knowledge with others in the forum.  I hang out there, too - Yes, I'm bi-dawlingual! - and IIR, Johnny (the guy in question) just threw the series together very quickly in his home studio, in answer to another user's questions about his recording methods.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
The Maillard Reaction
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 08:02:39 (permalink)
Thanks for explaining.

For what it is worth, I maintain a preference for content, "Content is King" in the media world... so it was a compliment with a slight qualification preceding it. :-)

best regards,
mike

Supercomposer
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 08:50:00 (permalink)
There are rumors Studio 2 and Cubase 6 will be presented on NAMM in two weeks!!

Studio 2 better have some decent MIDI edting and track folders...
post edited by Supercomposer - 2011/01/01 08:51:21

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 09:28:56 (permalink)
Sonar seems to alter the feel of the external midi timing when under a lot of audio load (on my system anyway) This would not effect many of you but it is important to me as I still use some external midi devices. 

Hey Jeff. Could you elaborate on this? I've always felt some kind of wrongness going on with the midi timing.
Thanks

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Zuma
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 525
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 09:43:53 (permalink)
I don't know... I'm playing around with the demo as well... but I'm just not digging the "all in one UI" (for lack of a better term). I guess I still prefer to work in the Sonar Track view of versions past. And it's also clear to me now that a stable X1 is a much more desirable choice for me than Studio One. For instance, the Pro Channel alone is more desirable to me than anything I've yet come across in S1. It does seem to be very stable and intuitive, but there's nothing here that would cause me to want to ditch Sonar and Cubase... or even PT. It's a cool app but I won't be purchasing it.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

mikespitzer
  • Total Posts : 300
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 09:56:44 (permalink)
I see potential in X1
Although at present for my type of work  (live audio, live musicians , ocassional use of BFD drums, but no other form of virtual instruments, samples or loops) ... I find SONAR 8 to be more streamlined, stable and easy to use.

(although I can understand why a heavy MIDI, sample, loop, in the box composing type of user would like the XI interface better)

I am going to skip X1 altogether .......  like many new programs or technologies there are prone to be tons of glitches, hiccups and 5-6 "patches" to get the software tamed and under control.

But I like Cakewalk and SONAR above all other DAW out there  (although I confess the playing field is becoming more neck and neck and DAWs are converging to a more identical format) ......

I will revisit the software when they get the "X-series" more mature and release X2, X3 or whatever in about 1-2 years.

HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 10:02:48 (permalink)
If I were seriously considering between the 2 DAW's I'd check the video series posted above re: Studio One and also check out the Groove3 free (for 30 days) video series on BOTH Studio One and X1 to get an idea of the work flow between the 2 programs. The groove 3 stuff is excellent and for now you can check out tutorials on all the DAW's.

Here's the link

http://www.groove3.com/str/mt30.html

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
gospeltunes
Re:Trying to decide between Sonar X1 and Presonus Studio 1.6 2011/01/01 10:25:51 (permalink)
HumbleNoise

If I were seriously considering between the 2 DAW's I'd check the video series posted above re: Studio One and also check out the Groove3 free (for 30 days) video series on BOTH Studio One and X1 to get an idea of the work flow between the 2 programs. The groove 3 stuff is excellent and for now you can check out tutorials on all the DAW's.

Here's the link

http://www.groove3.com/str/mt30.html

Thanks for both links Larry, I will check them out.

Also, a lot of you have mentioned the lack of track folders as a major drawback to Studio One.  Being a newbie to the whole computer DAW thing (coming from the Roland VS2480), I have to ask, "What are track folders and what makes them so helpful?"  People keep bringing it up so I better figure out exactly what it is.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1