Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 23
Author
shea
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 343
2004/07/05 20:37:16 (permalink)

NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED

Hi folks
I hope you people out there don't think that I'm being ****y here. I am a Sonar and Cakewalk lover now for a long time. I got my hands on Nuendo 2 and did an exact project comparison in Nuendo and Sonar and I could not believe the difference in quality between the two audio engines. Nuendo is away ahead of Sonar even if it is only the audio engine.

Since our main priority is quality first, we are led to believe that we are using the best in Sonar but I don't believe that now after testing the same project in Nuendo and I think it begs the question of Cakewalk: Are we really up there with the best or is there still something seriously lacking in the audio engine? Is there anybody out there that has done a similar test that would agree or disagree with me? Again I don't mean to be ****y but since we pay our money we honestly believe it to be the best or is it?

What do you think????

Shea

678 Replies Related Threads

kylen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 20:48:32 (permalink)
    Can you break it down a little further shea ? It's not as easy as posting 2 different mp3s for comparison - or is it?

Sound quality
    Workspace
    Ease of use
    Features
    Native Plugins
    VST support

What about that kind of stuff ?
    Johnny
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 20:48:38 (permalink)
    This has been gone over millions of times. The "audio" is the same. Sometimes there are "presets" in Cubase various templates that are set in strange or pleasant ways. Take for instance the XG instrument definition in Cubase. I was wondering why the XG sounded so good in Cubase. Duh, they defaulted the "cutoff" to max, ie. the "briliance". My Aux program, XG Edit didn't.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 20:54:52 (permalink)
    Biting my tongue...

JD
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 21:07:30 (permalink)
    What do you think????
    i don't think you read the instruction manual.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 21:25:17 (permalink)
    Can you break it down a little further shea ? It's not as easy as posting 2 different mp3s for comparison - or is it?

Yes , please do that , shea .

< Message edited by Al -- 7/5/2004 9:26:56 PM >

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    shea
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 21:51:38 (permalink)
    Hi kylen
    im not comparing features or difference in use
    I would start a war if i started that
    Im only talking about the audio engine in particular
    I have a lot of pro people in my studio at the moment and believe me
    they could not believe the difference
    To say that the audio engines are the same is an understatement.
    Dont get me wrong no one praised sonar as much as i did and at the moment
    im confused and dissapointed

check it out for yourselves honestally and tell me if im right or wrong
    Surely cakewalk know this
    Hopefully it will be different om four and if not i will be going to nuendo
    not that i have any love afair with steinberg but at the end i do want the best i can get

shea
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 21:52:09 (permalink)
    Hi Shea. Please do tell what it is that you like so much. Just wrote this comment on another thread late last night and since it seems to apply I will just paraphrase it here.
    I have never found any program that limits me from doing what I need to do, yet on the other hand I had a month at Record Plant and didn't end up with anything all that spectacular. Constantly looking for something better in my opinion only slows down and confuses. Put an old piano or guitar in the hand of a gifted and inspired artist with a good mic and a Revox and you may create a moment. Bottom line-it's not the program, it's not the money, it's the man. Changing formats and programs becomes a lust for knowledge and the purchasing of new equipment has no end. Sonar 3 is a winner-if you choose Nuendo you lose this forum. You'll have to choose. Nuendo will not make your music better, but the things you can learn from this forum will. Would like to hear your music Shea. Will send you some of mine. I bet there are a lot of other things that would help your music more than changing programs. I can send you something I did on Cakewalk (pre-Sonar) about 6 years ago. Please don't take this as a "duel" or a challenge. I am merely trying to accentuate your career. Your post was sincere and I know you are asking for feedback so here it is.

Michael

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    michael japan
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5252
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 21:54:59 (permalink)
    it will be different om four

Hi Shea? what does that mean?

edit-I get it-you mean in Sonar 4. Sorry.
    < Message edited by michael japan -- 7/5/2004 9:57:52 PM >

Windows 10/64 bit/i7-6560U/SSD/16GB RAM/Cakelab/Sonar Platinum/Pro Tools/Studio 1/Studio 192/DP88/MOTU AVB/Grace M101/AKG Various/Blue Woodpecker/SM81x2/Yamaha C1L Grand Piano/CLP545/MOX88/MOTIF XS Rack Rack/MX61/Korg CX3/Karma/Scarbee EP88s/ Ivory/Ravenscroft Piano/JBL4410/NS10m/Auratones/Omnisphere/Play Composers Selection/Waves/Komplete Kontrol
    shea
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 22:10:53 (permalink)
    Hi Michael
    I appreciate your constructive reply
    I mean sonar 4 might be equal hope it is
    I make a living from my music all recorded in sonar and its by no means bad
    but what anoyed me most was that we recorded a song for a client the song
    that we used to compare at his request and there was no doubt in his mind
    which version he wanted and i had to agree with him
    Excuse my typing
    Believe me i have no desire to spend more money on another programe just to be investigative but the quality thing would definetally be an issue with me

shea
    WireRage
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 22:36:54 (permalink)
    I haven't been able to spend $1,200 on a DAW program because I have no means to justify it so my reasoning is probably different then yours. From a few Neundo users I do know it seems there system runs a little more smoother on the driver side of things. Probably few more power tools for editing Audio compared to Sonar. But as far as it delivering a better quality of audio I had not noticed and can understand why it would. Usually that kind of quality depends on their a/d d/a converters, pre-amps, efxs, mics., and instruments being used.

Could you explain a little more for me. I'm not a loyalist to any software and like you I am ultimately searching for whats an overall more stable and easier enviroment, but i'm paced a little slower because of budget.

John
    Jay Stephen
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 22:48:55 (permalink)
    Please clarify what you recorded and if you used exactly the same outboard gear on S3 and Nuendo. Also, did you compare the output from both dry?

Alright all you "silvers', is there anything to Shea's observations?

Of course, it not the money, not the...., etc. but if it were that simple we would all be recording our stuff with soundblasters and MS sound recorder. A quality final product is the result of many factors but surely an important one must be the audio engine.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 22:49:07 (permalink)
    It is my understanding that Nuendo and Cubase SX share the same core audio engine. Doesn't it stand to reason then that Cubase SX (by your assessment) would also sound better than Sonar? If that were obviously true, it would most certainly be common knowledge by now. (And Steinberg would be lording it in their advertising), but that isn't the case, is it?

Shea, are you really looking at the comparison with both eyes (and ears) open? You still haven't provided us with any details...

JD
    Jay Stephen
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/05 22:58:06 (permalink)
    Yes, details please Shea.

XP SP1 Home (tweaked)
    P4 2.8 HT on P4C800-E
    4x512 OCZ Dual Channel DDR
    Matrox G450 Dual
    10G SCSI O/S
    80G SATA Audio
    500G SATA Backup
    M-Audio Delta 44 -WDM
    Pioneer A107D DVD-RW
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 01:04:26 (permalink)
    I ditched Nuendo about a year and a half ago for many reasons and the audio engine being one of them.it seems the biggest problem with Nuendo is it's internal pan law which rears it's ugly head during internal mixdown,coupled with other math error's,mixing internally never produced good results for me,ever.Also the problem with clicking in crossfades has never beem fixed amongst never ending new problems that seem to appear with every update.After ditching Nuendo for good,Iv'e never been happier.I'm more interested in getting work done rather than constantly screwing with software problems,and that's what Iv'e been enjoying with Sonar for the last couple of years.
    Scott Reams
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1918
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 01:13:43 (permalink)
    You have yet to say what the difference actually was that you believe you heard... and you have yet to define your test conditions. No conclusions can be drawn until this information is made available.

For the record... extensive summing comparisons have been done that have found there to be little difference between these audio engines. These were scientifically run tests that involved many independent parties. If your personal finding is different, the first thing you should be doing is taking a close look at your testing procedures and getting 2nd and 3rd opinions on those procedures (one good use of this group). Don't draw conclusions prematurely.

-S
    Dyonisos
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 02:07:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: michael japan

it will be different om four

Hi Shea? what does that mean?

edit-I get it-you mean in Sonar 4. Sorry.

This garden universe vibrates complete,
    Some, we get a sound so sweet.
    Vibrations, reach on up to become light,
    And then through gamma, out of sight.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie,
    The sounds of color and the light of a sigh.
    And to hear the sun, what a thing to believe,
    But it's all around if we could but perceive.
    To know ultra-violet, infra-red, and x-rays,
    Beauty to find in so may ways.
    Two notes of the chord, that's our full scope,
    And to reach the chord is our life's hope.
    And to name the chord is important to some,
    So they give it a word, and the word is OM

- Moody Blues, In Search of the Lost Chord
    < Message edited by Dyonisos -- 7/9/2004 3:55:01 AM >
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 07:24:15 (permalink)
    Nuendo has a different pan law which might make it sound different.

Otherthan that I think you're listening with your eyes ;) - or working for steinberg.

I, and i'm sure many others on this board have used nuendo/cubase (same engine) and I'm sure if there was such a difference it would be well known about.

Maybe you're using 16 bit in nuendo or something? - did nuendo dither the sonar audio?

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    shea
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 08:59:38 (permalink)
    Hi guys
    First of all this is not a criticism, just an observation. I didn't post this to test my credentials or my musical ability. I do not listen with my eyes (I'm not stupid!) and I don't work for Steinberg. As a matter of fact, I used to be a Cubase user a long time ago and then changed to Cakewalk and never looked back. Yes there area lot of things in Sonar better than Nuendo and visa versa,
    but that doesn't change the fact that I find the audio engine to be 20-40% better in Nuendo. I'm just saying that if Sonar is going to be our long term sequencer, surely we want it to be the best and the only way to get the best is to insist on it!

There is no point in people coming back with bickering comments, this is definately a fact, so be brave to own up to it and perhaps we might get it changed.

The test file is a song called The Rose. Two huge machines, P4 3.2 and AMD 3200 64 bit. The tests were run on both machines with identical sound cards (same result). 18 tracks consisting of:
    9 audio tracks and 9 midi tracks
    Same plug ins (waves and master reverb)
    Midi tracks using Kontakt Reason 2 and Hallion

By the way I have also noticed that when you open contact in Nuendo during playback, there is no cracks and pops but try that in Sonar, with 3 or 4 big samples, and you will see what I mean. I have also noticed that the quality of the samples in Reason, really stand out in Nuendo. I will admit that, the audio tracks are not as apparent. Icould go on but i wont.
    To Cakewalk i dont mean to be critical here just definette about what im talking about.

So my conclusion would be that the audio engines are different, period.
    P.S. 24 Bit Recording and surely if i were using 16 bit in nuendo the quality would be less.

Shea
    < Message edited by shea -- 7/6/2004 9:07:43 AM >
    Rustic Raf
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 09:12:47 (permalink)
    Dyonisos, you mystical creature.
    Beautiful & inspired.
    Bless you.
    shea
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 09:19:51 (permalink)
    Hi Paul

Since you have 4 stars bless you i would love to know what an instruction manual has got to do with a comparison between two audio engines

shea
    ghijkmnop
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3456
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 09:33:57 (permalink)
    I want to know how any of you can afford to A/B test these applications. I know I can't.

Nuendo costs 2.5X more than Sonar 3 if purchased at Sweetwater, the total price being $1800. Add to that a second DAW at $1500... I honestly don't know how people who are legitimate small studio folks (let alone hobbyists) can afford to engage in speculative wastes of money.
    Bill OConnell
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 09:47:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: shea

What do you think????

Shea

I think you should put on some virtual Kevlar. :-)

Seriously, use the search engine. You will find some heated discussions that run from the fascinating to the absurd--and everything in between. You might even find some of my opinions in there. :-)

It is The Can of Worms From Hell, and to quote Sargent Schultz: "I say nothing...."

Master Chief [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1053
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 10:11:44 (permalink)
    The test file is a song called The Rose. Two huge machines, P4 3.2 and AMD 3200 64 bit. The tests were run on both machines with identical sound cards (same result). 18 tracks consisting of:
    9 audio tracks and 9 midi tracks
    Same plug ins (waves and master reverb)
    Midi tracks using Kontakt Reason 2 and Hallion
    Would you be willing to email or upload this test file (both the SONAR and Nuendo version). I'd be curious to load it into both apps, do a mixdown to WAV, and then do a digital comparison between the results. Please contact me, ronkuper AT cakewalk DOT com, if you would like to help in this way.

Or, you could export a mix from both apps, find a passage where the difference in audio quality is especially noticeable, and then post the WAV files so others can do A/B comparisons.
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 10:12:45 (permalink)
    I honestly don't know how people who are legitimate small studio folks (let alone hobbyists) can afford to engage in speculative wastes of money

My whole music career is a speculative waste of money.

This has been brought up many, many times...

Here's the daddy of 'em...

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=82511&mpage=1&key=audio+engine
    spinner
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 10:19:15 (permalink)
    it doesn't seem possible that 44.1/16 or 48/24 is going to sound better through one program then another ... if all things are equal .. you mentioned the computers used are different but have the same sound card .. was the play back and moniotoring equipment the same ? were the AD converters the same ?
    Phil B
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 12:08:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: shea

I find the audio engine to be 20-40% better in Nuendo

I may have missed it, but I can't find where you explain what you mean by "better"
    turklet2
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 12:09:49 (permalink)
    Alot of people on this forum have broadband and downloading a 20 second wav excert shouldn't be a huge problem for alot of people - even at 48/16.

Ron Kuper has suggested you post a small excert - excellent idea. Then we can all have a listen and decide.

Could anybody spare Shea a small piece of server space - give him the FTP details and lets all use our ears.

I can't wait to A/B the wavs myself.

Lets conclude this once and for all.
    DaveR
    • Total Posts : 288
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 13:19:14 (permalink)
    I wonder, if Shea cannot even give more precise details about this issue, above and beyond "the audio engine is 20-40% better," can we really expect him to upload the proper WAV files, and if he does, can we trust that they are truly equivalent?

Maybe I'm wrong and Shea has uncovered a huge bug in the Sonar audio engine, but somehow I don't think so...
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: NUENDO SONAR REALY DISAPPOINTED 2004/07/06 13:45:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ghijkmnop
    ...Nuendo costs 2.5X more than Sonar 3...

I think you came across the real reason right here, Jeff. It has to sound better (edit: sound better to the victim of caveat emptor), because how else would you explain the added pain in the wallet?

Edit 2: Even if it really did perform 20-40% better (remains to be proven, good luck to you there), since it costs 2.5X as much, it's still a terrible deal!
    < Message edited by losguy -- 7/6/2004 12:51:57 PM >

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1