Is it possible to "Un-Verb"?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
6stringsat100mph
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1385
2004/07/15 23:59:42 (permalink)

Is it possible to "Un-Verb"?

Just a question, and as I know it may be a really stupid one I feel compelled to ask.
After something has reverb applied to it (added to the sound itself) is it possible to lessen this amount or maybe deaden the reverb a little?
I ask because I have a drum soundfont I use called "drums by slavo" and it is a killer rock drum sample that (for some songs) has just a bit to much reverb on it!
I know how goofy this sounds and dont blame you for laughing but I just had to ask....
Thanks
6strings

39 Replies Related Threads

tunakdude
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 00:08:34 (permalink)
    well, if you knew exactly which reverb was used on it and had all the right settings, you could add the very same reverb to it (100% wet) but phase reversed to cancel out the verb but leave the dry!
    i actually don't know if anything like that would work or not,
    sorry i don't have a practical (real) solution to your problem
    someone else should have a decent suggestion i hope-- i have the same problem with some downloaded samples
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 00:16:53 (permalink)
    It's hard to unring a bell as it is to deverb a track. On the other hand, you might be able to edit the sound font. I' haven't edited a sound font since back in the Vienna days but I'm sure you could find a free eidtor somewhere online. Come to think of it, VSampler might edit sound fonts. Anyway, once you find an editor you can look at the FX and turn them off or tone them down.
    joetabby
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 01:31:12 (permalink)
    If the soundfont has the reverb in the actual sample, you're pretty much stuck with it. However, if the sample is actually dry and the reverb is being added by your card (such as the EAX effects in a SB card) then you may be able to play the sample without the effects. But I suspect, it's the first case.
    cAPSLOCK
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1071
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 02:16:23 (permalink)
    Inversing out a reverb as descibed above it theoretically possible, but in practice (at least so far) not so easy to do.

It is, however, possible to do lots to get rid of a fair amount of the character of reverb in a recorded track under the right circumstances.

First it helps consider what reverb actually is, and how it applies to your situation. (your particular situation can be quite difficult since you might be dealing with more than one reverb on different drum parts... but I will describe some ideas to help in general so you can see if they apply).

1. The first part of reverb is the 'early reflections' which depending on the space the track was recorded in are anywhere from a few to 100 milliseconds after the initial sound. It seems to my ears these tend to act in two ways on a recording. They emphesize certain frequencies (especially in a room or booth). And they do things to the stereo field in the most immediate sort of way. The emphasis part is easily compensated for by surgical EQ cuts. If you listen (and perhaps use a spectrum gizmo) you should be able to tell where the room is ringing. Pull these frequencies down gently. This is similar to the sort of filter you would use to eliminate hum if you have ever done that, but MUCH more gentle. The second part is almost impossible to eliminate. You can reduce the stereo field a little, but in some circumstances this can cause phase relationship problems.

2. The 'late reflections' or what is often called the 'tail' of a reverb is the second part. Seems to me this is the problem you are most concerned with. Two tools spring to mind for fixing this. You could use a gate or downward expander to minimise elements of the sound that fall below a certain theshold. Beware of pumping artifacts. If you do too much you might make something sound unnatural. The other tool is something like the SPL Transient designer ($$$$) or the digitalfishphones 'dominion' plugin ( http://digitalfishphones.com ). These tools act as a specialized expander/gate sort of thing to help emphasize the attack and minimise the decay (or vise versa) of a track. Another element to consider is cutting down the stereo portion of the track to some extent thereby emphasizing the mono portions. This can help since reverb lives, in many cases, on the outskirts of the stereo field. Using M/S techniques (kinda deep to get into here) or something like the waves S1 plugin can help with this approach. But if the reverbs are part of a mono sample and in mono, this will do no good at all.

Some combination of these two elements might get you well down the road.

For your specific situation, you may need to take into account the way the soundfont you are using was recorded. If they added giant tails to the snare drum, and not to the other instruments as much it may be beneficial to separate the individual drum parts onto different audio tracks before you even try to eliminate the reverb so you can address each drum (or group) individually. In cases where the whole kit sounds kind of verby the dominion plugin might just do the trick strapped across the whole thing.

If you get stuck, upload a little bit of the drum track by itself and I will see if I can help.

cAPS
    < Message edited by cAPSLOCK -- 7/16/2004 2:23:11 AM >

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 08:45:47 (permalink)
    Holy Crap.....WOW...awesome response.....Yea and I might NOT post a bit of the font after that sweet little gratis tutorial...Sh-Yea Rite...
    Glad to do it cAPS...Thanks a lot you are very gracious with your time...
    It will be posted to my soundclick website tomorrow....
    That address will come once I have actually posted it...
    You da man,
    6strings
    mykee
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 09:22:21 (permalink)
    Would it be a gross oversimplification just to get the sample in an editor eg. soundforge, and fade out the end of the sample? Just to shorten the overall reverb length (is it called RT60, or is that something different?).

Or would that just sound rubbish?!

Edit: that was a reply to anyone btw...
    < Message edited by mykee -- 7/16/2004 9:23:58 AM >
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 09:33:01 (permalink)
    I've had pretty good luck with using a simple noise gate for this purpose. It's just a matter of adjusting it so that you get the decay you want.

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 12:28:47 (permalink)
    For the most complex (but most powerful) way to un-verb, you deconvolve. It's the inverse of convolution, which is what SIR does. Deconvolution is complicated, and an order of magnitude more intense to perform computationally than convolution, but you can do some pretty neat things with it. The technology is available right now... you can find it on the SIR site. It's used by the people who are "out there" capturing the impulses of real spaces for the rest of us. The difference is that they use deconvolution the other way, to remove the direct sound. But there's no real reason that you can't use it to remove the reverb. You just need a good sample of the reverb, with as little of the original sound as possible.

I expect that for one percusive shot, you'll probably get as good or better results with the expanding/gating techniques already recommended by the other gents. But if I had a whole load of them to do, or if I had something more sustained, like a trumpet or section for instance, I'd seriously consider the (de)convolution approach.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    RTGraham
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1824
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/16 16:20:27 (permalink)
    Another thought, similar to losguy's deconvolution theory:

If I were trying to remove reverb on a drum track, here's what I'd do, and I'd do it in Cool Edit 2000 because of its noise reduction capability. This concept will only work if the track is stereo, and if the reverb was a true stereo space simulation, because it depends on eliminating the center.

1) Open the track in Cool Edit. Use the "Channel Mix" transformation to remove the center. This inverts the phase of one side and then sums the channels - the classic Karaoke effect. The center will drop out, and you will most likely lose the kick, most of the snare, and some of the hat. Overheads and toms will depend on their panning.

2) Your resulting waveform should now be mostly reverb. Again, this will depend on the panning of the original drums before reverb. Select a particularly juicy section of reverb ambience, and access the "Noise Reduction" transformation. Set your parameters appropriately - I like an FFT size of 8192, but you may want to experiment. Then click the "Get Profile from Selection" button. DO NOT click "OK." Instead, click "Save Profile," and name the noise profile something sensible. This file represents a spectrum snapshot of the reverb. Click "Close."

3) Hit Control-Z a few times, or just re-open the original stereo drum track. Select the full track, and go back into the "Noise Reduction" transformation. The reverb profile should still be present, but just in case it isn't, you can load the profile you saved. Make sure "Remove Noise" is selected, and consult the help file for good settings for the other parameters. (I like to start at a reduction of 35 dB, a precision of 11, a smoothing amount of 1.1, and a transition width of 3.5, but then I adjust during preview and see how it sounds.) Try putting the slider at 50 (halfway mark), and hit preview, and play with the slider and the parameters to see how much reverb you can eliminate while still having the drums sound good.

I don't know if you have access to Cool Edit, but if not you might be able to do something similar in another editor.

Hope that helps!
    < Message edited by RTGraham -- 7/16/2004 4:21:27 PM >

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Keys, Vocals, Songwriting, Production
    russell DOT graham AT rtgproductions DOT com
    www DOT myspace DOT com SLASH russelltgraham
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 01:51:31 (permalink)
    OK....
    So there are some pretty bright people in here.....this could turn out to be very interesting....at least to me that is....click here for wav sample of what I am talking about..
    this is the drum soundfont with nothing added to it...It was recorded at 48.000 @ 24bits then of course edited down the bits and ditherd in Soundforge 7.0 to make it 44.100 @ 16.
    Take a stab...cant wait to see where this goes....and learn alot as well...
    Thanks for all the help
    6Strings
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 04:05:26 (permalink)
    Bump
    Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 04:18:01 (permalink)
    this is the drum soundfont with nothing added to it

ALMOST nothing added to it actually ... you didn't mean to add distortion..did you ? It does sound compressed and distorted on the first beats especially - listen to the bass drum when the crash cymbal also playes on those downbeats , its squashed .

i played with this font many years ago.. as far as i remember these drums ARE sampled with the reverb.. and its ALSO NOT VERY CLEAN to begin with.. if that matters.
    so for the guys that were first wondering if its just the Creative reverb added ( and Vienna SF2 reverb settings .. sends less/more output to the reverb of their cards ) -
    nope.. it was sampled that way .. i can go and check just to be sure .. probably tomorrow .

so - what cAPS,jsaras,RTGraham and losguy said ! great tips there..so try the simple things first - shortening that decay time.. envelope kind of control similar to
    a gate/compressor with adjustable attack/release time .. any time based amplitude tweaking actually !! of course - none of these are "perfect" but they
    can get you what you want..or pretty close ..
    < Message edited by Al -- 7/17/2004 4:23:35 AM >
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 04:47:34 (permalink)
    ok.

this is getting nuts.
    ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    Al
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 04:53:52 (permalink)
    this is getting nuts.
    ;)

what now ?

WORK DAMMIT !!! ( i really like your "new" avatar ;)
    KevinK
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 06:05:02 (permalink)
    This topic has pretty much died out, and having been away from
    the office/studio for a few weeks, I missed the beginning.

But I would like to comment that it *is* possible to "un-verb"
    a signal, and it's done all the time - in wireless networking and
    mobile telephony, with RF signals. It's called "echo cancellation".
    Because it has important industrial applications, there's almost
    certainly a fair amount of example software out there - there
    are certainly a lot of commercial packages to be had. The
    question is whether anyone has ported any free code to run
    as a VST or DXi plug-in.
    Hsusy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 09:34:12 (permalink)
    What about the "undo" button?

Okay, not funny, I get it....
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 11:13:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RTGraham
    1) Open the track in Cool Edit. Use the "Channel Mix" transformation to remove the center. This inverts the phase of one side and then sums the channels - the classic Karaoke effect. The center will drop out, and you will most likely lose the kick, most of the snare, and some of the hat. Overheads and toms will depend on their panning.

I was thinking of a similar treatment but reversed. The PCM90 has an effect called Spatial Eq that plays with sum-difference, but you can steer it to either 'remove mono' or 'remove stereo'. Their intent is to use it to control the stereo spread of the low end so it has a cross-over point IE; the 'eq' function, but you can run it up to where it's full bandwidth.
    Your 'Channel Mix' might do the same.(?)
    Wayne
    RTGraham
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 12:17:04 (permalink)
    I downloaded the drumsample file and played with it, and I have some preliminary results, but I don't have a good way to provide the files for you to hear. Let me know if there's someplace I can post them.

I tried applying the transforms I detailed above, with moderate success. I can definitely remove the reverb, and the snare and hat still sound good, but the crash cymbal has a couple of tinny artifacts and the kick sounds thin and clicky. Now, it's possible that those are just the character of the kick and crash samples without reverb, but it's also possible that the noise reduction algorithm is inducing artifacts. I suspect that it has something to do with removing the entire reverb profile as it applies to all of the combined drums. I think that if I were to work with just the soundfont and remove each drum's individual reverb, it would retain more clarity. (I.E., right now the snare's reverb character is being removed from the kick, which might be taking away some of the kick's punch).

Let me know how I can let you hear the results.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 12:32:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KevinK
    But I would like to comment that it *is* possible to "un-verb"
    a signal, and it's done all the time - in wireless networking and
    mobile telephony, with RF signals. It's called "echo cancellation".
    Because it has important industrial applications, there's almost
    certainly a fair amount of example software out there - there
    are certainly a lot of commercial packages to be had. The
    question is whether anyone has ported any free code to run
    as a VST or DXi plug-in.

Hey, welcome back KevinK. You know, the technology behind echo cancellation is closely related to deconvolution. The main difference is that EC works adaptively online, continuously adjusting the deconvolver coefficients as it works. The straight deconvovler (inverse filter) takes all the info at once (in this case, reverbed signal and reverb impulse response) and computes the deconvoling filter and the deconvolved result in one huge pass. Adaptive EC works in applications where you need it to work right away, as the data is coming in, like all of the ones that you cited. The one-shot computation works when you have the luxury of having all the data available, i.e. recorded samples. In the end, the result is the same: you get a set of coefficients for the deconvolver, and you get a deconvolved result.

Note: The doconvolver coefficients, once obtained, could be inserted into SIR and used as a continuous deconvolver, for example, you could stick it on a track and automatically "un-verb" the entire track!

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    cAPSLOCK
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 12:35:03 (permalink)
    Oh, that is a mess. Lots and lots of verb on it. ;)

This is clearly a job where you would want to edit the soundfont and gate off the ends of each individual sample, as opposed to try to remove the reverb from a mixed down drumtrack...

Still here are a few combinations of expanders, dominion, and a little narrowing of the stereo field.

http://nukeular.com/drumsamples.mp3

2 bar groups

All of them have a slightly narrower stero field.

1. Full wet original sample
    2. Only a little expander
    3. Only dominion.
    4. Expander and dominion, pushed pretty hard
    5. Expander and dominion with less agressive settings

I like #3 and #5 overall.

But I would rather edit the samples and not try to get rid of the verb on a mix like this.

You really ought to download dominion and play with it if you haven't already... the third

cAPS

cAPSLOCK
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 12:47:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RTGraham

I downloaded the drumsample file and played with it, and I have some preliminary results, but I don't have a good way to provide the files for you to hear. Let me know if there's someplace I can post them.

Email em to james AT noisevault DOT com and I will plonk em up on nukeular with the one I did! (Just don't email me something over 10megs wihtout splitting it up - whew.. 10megs would be alot of that drum loop!)

cAPS

cAPSLOCK
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 13:16:34 (permalink)
    Also.. here is a little present. This is the 'drums by slavo' soundfont with the tails cut off from the kick and snare samples... youll have to do the rest yourself, and I don't guarantee that the soundfont still works. ;) I don't generally use them, so I am not really familiar with them.

http://nukeular.com/unverb.sfArk

(These links will only be up for the duration of this threads useful life...)

cAPS

cAPSLOCK
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 13:20:53 (permalink)
    One more thing... and then I will shut up... you could also use my nearly verb free drumsamples I posted here a while back...
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=167340

Course they are not quite as slamming as slavos... but they are kinda realer. ;)

cAPS
    < Message edited by cAPSLOCK -- 7/17/2004 1:22:09 PM >

6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 14:35:07 (permalink)
    Hey all,
    This sure is cool....I cant believe my "stupid question" is A: not so stupid after all and B: how kind it is of you guys to offer your time and energy for myself and anyone else reading this to learn about this procedure! Too Cool!
    Anyway...cAPS I have a better solution I think to the samle sending dilema....you can download it right here...it is the last one at the bottom of the page...tell me if there is anything else you may need or want. Thanks again for your assistance.
    RTGraham send it to mark at phrygian dot cnc dot net if that is not an acceptable method of transmission I will offer an ftp space. Thank you.
    AL thanks for your help and everyone elses as well.
    6Strings
    Thanks for the "unverb.sfark" file cAPS I am downloading now...I will let you know what I think....I am certain it will be a great job however.
    < Message edited by 6stringsat100mph -- 7/17/2004 2:40:04 PM >
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 17:27:55 (permalink)
    Bump
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 21:57:56 (permalink)
    Bump it up again....have we reached the end of the line?
    lol
    6strings
    Al
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 22:28:13 (permalink)
    have we reached the end of the line?

i think so .. what else ? even MORE ideas ? ;) i really think they got it covered .

did you try the freebie kit that cAPS made ? did you try the edited version of that sf2 file ? ..or tried editing some of its samples yourself ?

a compressor/envelope editing of the snare sample could really help there .. it would NEVER sound like a totally dry snare WITH its natural decay time ..
    but at least you can make it shorter ..and getting some less amplitude of the sample's decay means LESS reverb ( sort of ;) ..
    less noticeable reverb at least .
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/17 22:57:32 (permalink)
    well I was asked to submit a sample of the soundfont by a couple people...I did and that was the end of it....its cool though everyone was very very helpful...
    Thanks Al....
    Later,
    6Strings
    RTGraham
    RE: Is it possible to "Un-Verb"? 2004/07/18 01:05:09 (permalink)
    I've emailed the files to cAPS and 6string - let's see where it goes from here.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Russell T. Graham
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1