Learning a new instrument vs cheating...?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Andrew G
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
2009/12/21 15:55:02 (permalink)

Learning a new instrument vs cheating...?

Hi all,

I currently play piano/keys and a little bit of drums to create my tunes, and am having a good time with it.  I have tried on and off to learn the guitar but to be honest I always get frustrated and play the piano instead!

Anyhow, I have recently come across the Real Guitar/ RealStrat soft synths, and they seem just the ticket when it comes to making guitar accompaniments for my tracks.   I am tempted to pull the trigger on them, but theres something niggling at the back of my mind....

Is using software to imitate a guitar part technically 'cheating'?.  Do any other non-guitarists use soft synths to produce guitar tracks with a clear conscience?  Should I just spend the money on guitar lessons instead and be done with it?

Please help me through this (musically..) moral dilemma!

Andrew

Q6600, Windows 7, FA-66, Sonar 8.5.2 Producer, Rapture, Komplete 5, SD2.2 with New York and Metal Foundry SDX, Nocturn, Remote Zero, KRK 6's, Fantom X8, V-Synth V2, TD-9K, Guitars. Anyone know where I can get some talent?!

40 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 15:58:27 (permalink)
    do you want humanity in your music, or robotics?

and i'm not saying one is better than the other, only that i prefer humanity in mine, so i limit my 'robotics' to extensively edited drum loops and drum samples.

i think it's a personal thing, to say to one's self 'i'm going to try to learn a new instrument well enough to emote with it'.

even if it's just a tupperware full of rice, used as a shaker.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 18:30:00 (permalink)
    I think bat's got a good idea.  But not practical for several of us.  I want all kinds of strings and flutes and guitars in my music.  There's no way in the world I could ever learn to play all those instruments.  On the other hand, a strummed guitar is almost impossible to emulate.  I'm thankful I've had a few collab partners help me out with that one. 

Of course my music doesn't sound like the real thing and it never will as long as I use samples.  But that doesn't stop me from the joy of composing.  Heck, I even have to edit my piano playing.  :-(  But if I were to take the time to play perfectly everything I want to compose, I'd never get on to the next song.  And after over 30 years of practicing, I'm ready to have fun composing.  If someone thinks my songs are good enough to play with a real orchestra, that would be really cool. Until then, I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing. 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 19:13:33 (permalink)
    Learning a new instrument is always good. Even if you never get proficient on it, it will still broaden your musical perspective.

But - I will never own a real cello, or a real set of tympani, or a glockenspiel. An accordion, maybe. But not bagpipes or a canon. These are all "instruments" I have used in songs and make no apologies for faking them.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 19:37:07 (permalink)
    I'm so disappointed to know you don't own a canon, Dave! 

And like you said, learning a new instrument is good.  I'm trying my hand (well, both of them!) at drums and it's amazing how in a short time you begin to realize who drums work. :-)
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 19:54:26 (permalink)
    I think musicianship and home recording is a trade-off.
    I play my guitar, bass, bongos, congas, piano, and sing (obviously without autotuning).  But I can't drum to save my life, it's the feet that throw me off.  Combining my lack of ability with the noise and trouble of recording live drums, I'm happy to synthesize them.  I also haven't learned the cello even though I'd like to, so that's a synth too.
    I use minimal in-the-box effects on my live instruments, and prefer to commit (apply fx) to the sound most of the time.
    But that's only my way of recording, accomplishing the combination of what i want to do with my musical ability against my recording ability...

ps.  i can play the cannon, but my girlfriend won't let me...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 20:32:20 (permalink)
    If composing is the main goal, use whatever you need to express yourself.  If you are aiming for the best sound possible, hire a guitarist with chops and mic his amp.  I know a few film composers that score full blown midi arrangements, then pay session players to replace those tracks with the real deal.  Fun stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/21 20:55:51 (permalink)
    Using a synth or even an artificial intellegent synth to create a part that you can not play is not cheating..... I use several including Jamstix because I am not a drummer... not even close. So I choose the synth. I look at it the same way as if I hire a session player. Hiring someone else is not cheating so why the guilt over "hiring a synth" to play the parts?

Embrace technology...and go create music.

If you want to learn an instrument...by all means learn it...you will be better for doing so.

A note on Real Strat & Real guitar..... even though it is a synth and sounds really good in the demo's.... you have to be willing to take the time to learn HOW to make it sound real..... the thing that makes a guitar part sound real is the small nuances that the player puts into the music...the way they pick or strum, the way they finger the strings...... but I have heard the demo's and with time and practice, it is probably a shorter route to a good guitar sound than buying a strat and practicing it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/12/21 20:59:23

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 01:25:14 (permalink)
    The consensus seems to be that there is no such thing as cheating, just exploiting technology.

Question is, how far are you willing to take that line of reasoning?

If you string some loops together and turn on an arpeggiator, is that being creative or is it just one step above switching on the radio?

What if you sync a drum machine to a classical recording and call it "Hooked on Mozart"? Remember those awful records?

My Stuff
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 01:59:09 (permalink)
    I think JamesYoyo once and for all convinced me:

Samples are samples, period ... no matter what the source!  But it gets hazy with DimPro *samples*.  Consider EWQL stuff ... these are authentic samples.

Many guitar samples are authentic (like EW Ministry of Rock).  These are valid ... but require mouse inputs (like song writing) for me.

Robotics vs. human touch?  Your/my human touch may come more from 'writing' a guitar line and applying the *right* sample with TLC.

But robotics truly suck (in my pieces).  I'm afraid to use Jamstix and drum-machines ... but hypocritically rely on Superior Drummer phrases ... as a fast launching point for a *personable groove*.  Heehee.

Guitar is far more important than piano for my ears; the tones may be 'hacked' on an electric guitar, gently strummed on an acoustic, etc.

But I'm like you.  My guitar playing doesn't come near G_Hacker's, nor does my piano playing come near Mamabear's, nor does my vox come near Yoyo_Factory's. 

So I might do 10 times more takes than they do on guitar, piano, and vox.  Guitarists are also nearby and I solicit their help.

Some of us may *cough* hope to collab with you ... especially when you share your samples with us.

More importantly, might be: how to use the talent You/I have been born with.

The human vox (yours?) may be your/my ultimate focus anyway.  Like a portrait painter focuses on the head: other instruments support the head.

IOWs, my hypocritical cheating will not go un-noticed by anyone on this forum.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 02:05:35 (permalink)
    I play...

Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Bass, E. Guitar, Harmonica, Violin, Congos, Bongos, Drums, Mandolin.

Sometimes it's easier to fire up the software instead of setting up mics and finding a time when everyone is out of the house. Just saying.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 04:14:22 (permalink)
    I think bat's got a good idea. But not practical for several of us. I want all kinds of strings and flutes and guitars in my music. There's no way in the world I could ever learn to play all those instruments. On the other hand, a strummed guitar is almost impossible to emulate. I'm thankful I've had a few collab partners help me out with that one. Of course my music doesn't sound like the real thing and it never will as long as I use samples. But that doesn't stop me from the joy of composing. Heck, I even have to edit my piano playing. :-( But if I were to take the time to play perfectly everything I want to compose, I'd never get on to the next song. And after over 30 years of practicing, I'm ready to have fun composing. If someone thinks my songs are good enough to play with a real orchestra, that would be really cool. Until then, I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing.

That is an excellent summery Janet.

I would add the word respect. If I learn a new
    instrument be it vst or real both have a learning curve.
    One does not just grab a beat or sound and call it real.
    It is passion for the instrument that makes its sound. 
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 08:30:30 (permalink)
    Many of the VST instruments such as those found in Koreplayer and Cake's Soundcenter rely on midi sources to trigger them.....

So when I play the bass from Soundcenter...... it's me playing from a keyboard. I have to learn the nuances of bass playing to make it sound real. Soundcenter allows me to do it without having to buy an expensive bass guitar and amp. 

Same with Jamstix.....  JS actually creates the entire drum track for me.... however, I can not call it finished at that point. JS lays down a framework.... I have to now go in measure by measure and see if  what JS played agrees with what I hear in my head. If so, I leave it, but if not, I have to edit it...add fills, add the accents to make it "mine".

Again.... I look at these things as tools to help me do a job....create the music I hear in my mind.

BMI/NSAI

SeveredVesper
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 09:38:21 (permalink)
    In my own opinion, the guitar is one of the most, or if not the most, difficult instrument to digitally emulate.
    bitflipper
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 11:27:31 (permalink)
    In my own opinion, the guitar is one of the most, or if not the most, difficult instrument to digitally emulate.

Very true. That's why doing so is an art form unto itself. Check out the videos on the RealStrat site. The fellow performing those demonstrations clearly has a real talent that took some time and effort to develop. Similarly, creating convincing strings and brass requires special techniques that your piano teacher never showed you.

My Stuff
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 11:32:24 (permalink)
    Speaking as a guitarist, I would of course have to say that using an emulator would be cheating. I have taught my self to play various instruments, including the keyboards, and I love to just buy a new instrument some times and just play with it. However, I also cheat by playing the sax on the keyboard for example, when a real sax player isn't available. Why don't you befriend a guitarist, and get them to play the guitar parts. That way you can keep it real with out learning to play it.
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 12:25:31 (permalink)
    Ya think Beethoven could actually play all the instruments his scores called for?

Byron Dickens
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 13:49:33 (permalink)
    It's not a matter of 'cheating' as the whole recording enterprise is essentially cheating.    It's a matter of what actually sounds better.
    Always go the human route even if your chops aren't up to par...just play what you can as best you can then tweak with tools (cheat) at your disposal.
    To play a guitar part with midi is no more cheating than using processing on vocals or using Jamstix or DKFH but it sure sounds a lot more fake than a real human playing it.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 14:18:43 (permalink)
    Do you use EQ and compression?  It's not in the original tracks...you had to add it to sweeten the sound..... is that cheating?

Just how far do you want to carry  the "is it cheating" argument/discussion?
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/12/22 14:20:02

BMI/NSAI

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 14:35:28 (permalink)
    There is reality, which is the tracking, and there is the vision, which is the enhancing of reality. Depending on your vision, the message you are trying to convey lies somewhere in between.

There is no cheat there is just what serves the intent of the artist.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 14:59:43 (permalink)
    There was a song posted awhile back in the Songs forum, that featured a Strat rhythm line. And while it sounded just like a well miked Strat tone-wise, it was just "too good". I asked the poster what he used, and sure enough it was Real Strat. That's the thing for me about midi vs real instrument. Unless you take the time to alter the midi track so it has that "human" element of imperfection, it might fool some of the people some of the time, etc.

Andrew, based on your original post, that niggling will still be in the back of your mind if you don't take a shot at learning to play guitar well enough to do some of the stuff you hear in your mind while composing. Who knows? You might find you write some interesting stuff on guitar that you might otherwise not have come up with on the keys.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 15:46:54 (permalink)
    Glad you brought that up, Randy.   That is exactly why i add so many imperfections to my guitar parts so as to insure ya'll know i'm really playing it.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/22 16:12:46 (permalink)
    Oh yeah Rick. Some of my earlier recordings are so "human" it's embarrassing.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/23 00:33:17 (permalink)
    Old story, I may have presented it here before. Back in drafting school, when you still drew on paper with pens and pencils, (maybe I should have said "really old story"), I had to do a three point perspective, so that it looked 3D, of a building. The instructor wanted me to put a figure of a woman standing in front of the building to add to the perspective, give it some life. I told him I could not draw human figures, so he pulled a sheet from a book with figures on it, slid it under the paper and told me to trace it. My first reaction was to say it seemed like cheating. He informed me that if I did not get past that attitude I would never make it in the field. "None of us can draw everything, and using a tool is never cheating." Side a tree under the sheet, trace it, I'm drawing landscapes.

Now we just copy and paste things into the autocad program, cars, boats, people, trees, etc. If you need to draw a box that is "x" wide and "y" tall, then another box that is "x" by "y", you copy it. Is that cheating?

Using the tools you have at hand is never cheating. Having the tools and not using them...that is cheating. You are cheating yourself.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    bdickens
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 847
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/23 10:15:40 (permalink)
    That was good!

Byron Dickens
    bitflipper
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/23 18:30:47 (permalink)
    So the near-unanimous consensus seems to be that there is no such thing as cheating when it comes to making music.

They're not cheats, just tools. All records are illusions of reality anyway. And Beethoven couldn't play the French horn. At least not very well.

Of course, this is exactly the response I would expect from a group of people who all cheat!

My Stuff
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/23 23:48:19 (permalink)
    this is exactly the response I would expect from a group of people who all cheat!

In the words of the great Bart Simpson, "It ain't cheatin' if you don't get caught."

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/24 01:21:41 (permalink)
    It isn't cheating.  However - guitar is pretty easy to learn and is a great compositional tool.  I play keys and guitar and compose on both.  Knowing a few easy open guitar chords will allow you to compose quickly - and differently than on Keys.  Plus - You can walk around with a guitar and catch some inpiration in different places.

Knowing how to play guitar - even a little - will allow you to use RealStrat more effectively because you'll know how to voice and arrange and think like a guitarist.

If you're considering guitar, why not give it a whirl?
    post edited by guitartrek - 2009/12/24 01:23:42
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/25 23:18:20 (permalink)
    +1 Guitartreck,

Guitar is pretty easy ... so is the piano ... the basics that is. 

I've played guitar daily for years, though, and don't seem to get much better than advanced beginner.

Problem is I think like a songwriter and producer ... the guitar is just one medium of expression to help me write lyrics ... a very tiny part in the big painting (AKA, symphony).

Portrait paintings and symphonies are both cheating performance.  But a live sitter should be the target (for me).  I paint or sing for *higher* love.

... but music (and portrait painting) are also an honest expression of love, hope, and/or faith (for many of us).  A product/production seems oft extremely comforting for oneself and others.
    post edited by Philip - 2009/12/25 23:19:51

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Andrew G
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Learning a new instrument vs cheating...? 2009/12/31 13:00:37 (permalink)
    Hi again all,

Thanks for the amazing feedback in this thread, its really helped put things into perspective.   In the end I decided to do both.  I picked up RealGuitar and RealStrat, as well as a copy of the Guitar Tab White pages. 

To start with I'm going to use the soft synths to mock up my guitar parts while the creative juices are flowing.  In the meantime I will continue plugging away at learning the guitar.  Hopefully one day I will be able to revisit these tunes and replace the 'fake' guitar sound with a real one.

Heres hoping...
    I do intend to post a few examples of my 'work' in the songs forum asap, however the high standard on display in there coupled with a bad case a thissongisneverfinished-itis has prevented me from doing so thus far...
    Andrew
    post edited by Andrew G - 2009/12/31 13:05:58

Q6600, Windows 7, FA-66, Sonar 8.5.2 Producer, Rapture, Komplete 5, SD2.2 with New York and Metal Foundry SDX, Nocturn, Remote Zero, KRK 6's, Fantom X8, V-Synth V2, TD-9K, Guitars. Anyone know where I can get some talent?!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1