POLL: Workflow Improvements

Author
planist
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 883
2010/01/08 12:16:38 (permalink)

POLL: Workflow Improvements

Workflow Improvements

Some of the long awaited - workflow improving - features like Aim Recording during Playback or Lock Scroll found their way into Sonar.
Now, in order to streamline the general handling in Sonar further i compiled some more suggestions, which i think are equally important.

Please comment if you want to add or rate something

• Possibility to set keybindings for ALL functions that are available, e.g.:
    • Snap to Grid Resolution Options - 16th, 16thT, etc., (Keybind-able, like the nudge settings)
    • Transport Rewind/Forward (not Rewind W, not Space)
    • Left click locks Scroll on / off
    • Flexible Zoom Functions (e.g. ALT and drag mouse left/right = Zoom IN/OUT horizontally, SHIFT + up/down = vertically)
    • maybe also context sensitive keybindings, e.g.: opening a dialog like snap to grid via "c" and when active and open close it with "c" again.
  • Playback
    • Set Now Time during playback not only by clicking on the upper measure bar but also by e.g. Alt+Shift+Left Click on empty space in Track View, Piano Roll View (= much smoother handling of playback and shorter mouse paths while editing a specific part) 
    • A markers "playlist" to auditioning sections of a song in different orders (rtgraham's wish for Sonar 3). Or even better: Possibility to set different loops, name them and assign these loops to the matrix view
    • Most of the functions which - from a users point of view - should not necessarily require a stop of playback, e.g.:
      • bounce to clip, transpose audio, stretch audio, clip fx, draw envelope, etc.
      • Audio Snap Filter functions Threshold and Resolution
  • Zoom and Scroll
    • Center now time during playback on / off (Now-Time stays in centerof view while scrolling the TV vs. the reloading the screen)
    • Vertical track size should be made half the size (half track like in cubase. This doubles the number of tracks visible in TV.
    • Zooming functions: more steps (smoother) and extremer values vertically AND horizontally (more on the screen)
    • Scrolling is too important a function to leave as (more or less) a byproduct of how PC keyboards happen to work. Possible combinations with mouse and the keyboard could be
      • to ZOOM in both directions there could be something like moving the mouse (leftright/updown) while pressing a key
      • to SCROLL the same with another key
  • Misc.
    • Configs of menus should be memorized during one project or session or be saveable in global or project options, e.g.
      • such as Clone Track, Quantize, Groove Quantize, etc. of 
      • Global Grid Setting for one Project (TV, Piano Roll View)
    • Make Snap To Grid and similar menus more streamlined e.g. a litte floating window or a option dialog in the transport or a dialog in the toolbar on the top. 
    • Envelopes
      • Possibility to disable envelopes
      • Have different minimizable tracks for each envelope (like in Cubase), or a quick selection window to activate the desired envelope for each track
    • Folders
      • Folder in Folder
      • Folders could have faders for gain, pan

post edited by planist - 2010/01/13 13:12:32

11 Replies Related Threads

Sickvision
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 841
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/01/08 12:30:53 (permalink)
    this is to confusing for me . but if you read this bakers i like  bigger and better librarys
     for SD3 , dem pro and definitly Guitar rig there presets are good and helpful but not better than i can create on my own. and the beat librarys and not very good for metal or hard rock more of the stuff in sonar is geared for hip hop, but i see the ability and tools are there can cakewalk, help me take the metal world by storm with some cutting edge 2x bass riffs. and screaming guitar sounds there are better plugins than guitar rig. i like it ,but i get better results from free plugins for heavy guitar i have 2 or three that can come close but not heard the real guitar sounds like the big dogs in the big studios can pull off. sick guitar sounds

SONARX1-64 WIN 7-64 DELTA-1010lt 
    ASUS990 6 core with delta
    2ssd drives 16 gigs RAM
    BX5a monitorsYAMAHA 4416

http://soundcloud.com/american-metal/high-on-the-wire-pre
    planist
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/01/12 03:42:55 (permalink)
    Re-sizing multiple tracks at once...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1917291

by ...wicked
    planist
    SONARtist
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 599
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/01/13 17:19:43 (permalink)
    Hey planist - I tried sending you a PM, but you're not set up to receive them.  So I have to post my message here ...

Question: Did you ever find out which motherboard you have installed ?  Did you try the suggested trial software tool to save you opening the box ?  Thanks.
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/01/14 08:45:17 (permalink)
    I love every thread about workflow improvements in Sonar! Thank you for continuing to push this important topic!

planist, thanks for mentioning the other thread -- http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1888422 -- For the record here, the core ideas of that thread revolve around the following 10 areas:

Workflow Feature Request List

1 - Arrangement and Editing Environment
    2 - Command Access and Customization
    3 - Envelopes and Automation
    4 - Plug-in Management and Access
    5 - Project and Media Management
    6 - Video Post and Scoring Enhancements
    7 - Universal Track Architecture and Routing Matrix
    8 - Synth Rack and Freeze Improvements
    9 - Staff View Improvements
    10 - Various GUI Enhancements

planist
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/02/19 03:51:38 (permalink)
    Simple Feature Request: View Panning (Hand Tool)

It should be keybindable or fixed on the middle mouse button.
    Useful in Trackview and PRV.

I'd consider this a basic tool. It seems to be easy to implement and i am sure it was requested many times.
    Graal
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/02/19 05:01:03 (permalink)
    Where's the poll here?
    planist
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/02/19 09:26:24 (permalink)
    if you like

just post your main three workflow requests

when there is enough posts i would rank the requests corresponding to the number and hierarchical order.

SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/02/19 11:30:23 (permalink)
    Don't mute MIDI tracks when corresponding audio tracks are muted or soloed. This will ensure that when you mute/unmute or solo/unsolo, there will be no interruption of MIDI data to soft synths, meaning the output of those synths will be 100% correct when they are unmuted, and some VSTs like Jamstix, RealGuitar, RealStrat etc will not get out of sync due to interrupted flow of MIDI data.

This will make Sonar more gapless, and one will actually be able to mute/unmute without needing to stop/restart.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
    NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/02/19 12:59:55 (permalink)
    I have such a laundry list of tiny little improvements, and I've posted them so many times, that to belabor them all again is a task I should practically be compensated for.

However, never one to pass up a good workflow thread, I'll just reinforce one thing already mentioned: opening and closing dialogs with the same keypress. Just like switching tools on and off, the same key combo should open AND close dialogs. Views in particular, should really have this functionality. It otherwise requires switching to the mouse to deal with it and disrupts my workflow tremendously.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:POLL: Workflow Improvements 2010/02/19 13:23:23 (permalink)
    First choice:

Have different minimizable tracks for each envelope (like in Cubase), or a quick selection window to activate the desired envelope for each track

Second and third choice: see first choice.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1