C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking

Author
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
2010/02/06 17:59:29 (permalink)

C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking

to fully grasp this you really need to understand what ACPI is and to know that Vista was the first to "force" compliance and Win 7 has further enhanced
ACPI. While not new (97/98?) it was a long time in being implemented fully.
some of you remember being able to change/assign IRQ's. This ability disappeared with XP (software level) and with APIC motherboards (HAL) along the same time frame.
during that transition people were warned to NOT install the OS in "Standard computer mode" long gone is that option now. (XP SP1 it was gone)
This was the beginning of ACPI.
http://www.acpi.info/DOWNLOADS/ACPIspec40.pdf
warning very heavy reading. in i nut shell the beginning of "green" power management for computing.

All of the "power saving modes are intertwined but do function separately to a point.

Speedstep/ (EIST) was introduced i think with Pentium 4 desktop processors but more commonly became an issue with Laptops. (actually Pentium III mobile)
It was not uncommon to have a 2GHz Laptop and find it running at 700MHz. this is still a part of the issues with a laptops and most bios wont allow for
it to be turned off.
Thats why this guys software became very popular.
http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

the time it took to go from 700MHz back to 2.0GHz was way too long and caused drop outs etc with audio.

some quotes taken from here: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-028855.htm

" the processor is able to reduce periods of system unavailability (which occur during frequency change)."
" Clock Partitioning and Recovery" " The core clock is also able to restart far more quickly under Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology"
" Because Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology reduces the latency associated with changing the voltage/frequency pair (referred to as P-state),"

System unavailability? why would i want this on my system?
Recovery? Restart? Latency? sounds like what my wife goes thru trying to get me up in the morning for Church on Sunday.
all of this will cause issues for audio

EIST(desktop) dynamically increase/decrease its clock speed between its minimum clock and its normal operating frequency, as well as voltage, in order to optimize for power consumption.
in other words  a performance reduction while using the system, the system may feel you don't need full power. drats just heard a drop out.

C1E Halt:  while similar reduces Clock speed by adjusting the multiplier (Core clock to system bus ratio) and to some degree VID. (voltage) this is a more common occurrence with light use
or on today case of Multicore shutting down a core or 2.

C3, C6. This is a deeper sleep with a complete core(s) shut down (Gate off) and no voltage/Data at all. harder to recover from quickly, previous data is cached elsewhere and needs to be re-cached in L3 memory
to re initialize full muliticore, multithread use. Part of Core parking
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/applnots/320354.pdf?iid=tech_tb+paper

Turbo boost: this is for those who like pictures http://download.intel.com/products/processor/corei7/319724.pdf
and here with more pretty pictures http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634&p=4

Turbo boost looks like a great thing and it is for many applications. Bear in mind 1366 Processors' cant Turbo up past stated speed with all 4 core active like the 1156 can.
However its really moot. The issue with Turbo is while it may be clocking up 1 or 2 cores it can also set 1-2 cores into C3, C6 state.
Its that time it takes to go from C3, C6 to active when running at low latency heavy project that will be trouble.

Core parking: since this so far only seems a potential (not definitive) issue for Sonar i wont say much. (its also only for Sonar) its Hyper-threading way of doing C1E if there are not enough threads
required it will "park" shut down the HT cores to a ready but not active state. (Win 7 only). Core parking is supposed to be an efficient way of data caching with concern to HT as well. With Core parking enabled it can cause threading issues in Sonar.

All of this power management is supposed to be about "Green" frankly if i want to save energy i will lower my heat and put a sweater on.
for DAWs ideally you would turn all of this off and have 100% access to full power at all times. leaving it on can cause issues particularly low latency power users.

as  Turbo kicks in its raising the BCLK (base clock) or what we called the FSB as you raise the FSB it also increased the Memory speed. While this may seem good it can also push the system memory over the limit.
some of you may not be seeing issues if using DDR3 1066 or 1333 as this ram has some upper limit room, particularly if not a low CL setting.

if using DDR3 1600 (and its actually running @ 1600) and turbo clocks up say up to 145 from 133 base clock you ram is now @ 1680 which can fail at that speed depending on what ram you have.
all our systems have all power saving management off so we can redlilne the systems.
in other words all systems have a QPI of 6.4 and DDR3 1600 @ 1600.

The other thing i have concern for is how well (fast) the crystal clock (real system timer) is adjusting for this.
Audio is the only software i know of that is working at near real system time and as you lower buffer settings you get closer to it. modulations in the system timer (even slight) could create
system stability issues but now i am getting way out there. :-)

well enough for now
post edited by jcschild - 2010/02/06 18:03:51

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!

18 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/06 18:01:10 (permalink)
    I asked one of my support guys to write a why there is issues with Turbo etc.

The issues showing back here when Turbo Mode is active are random drop outs at lower latency and also plugins causing drop outs. Firewire Devices seem to be far more interrupted by the Turbo State changes. The issues are intermittent due to how Turbo Mode doesn't always change the Base Clock Frequency which alters the Ram frequency and it doesn’t always turn off cores. Sometimes it is fine frequency adjustments that raises the clock speed less than 100 MHz which also raises the ram speed. If you launch CPUID you can watch this activity real time. What is for certain is the C- State or Frequency changes happen via Communication to the ACPI which is on the SMBus and Bios. This communication is on the PCI Bus and at a very high Priority. Since audio requires constant CPU communication at a high priority especially at lower latency this will cause interrupts in the audio especially at lower latency or when plugins have some delay compensation affecting the audio.

The Turbo Mode will also gate off cores based on what the Host is sending for threads which was the real purpose for Turbo Mode. This works great with video games and Business applications. However for audio it's a nightmare. Remember your audio host program might multi-thread great but that doesn’t mean your plugins do. Plugins and Plugin cards often only single thread which will send high priority commands to one or 2 cores. All of the Turbo Mode moderation is at the CPU. If the CPU determines that the data is only single threaded it's going to start shutting down cores for performance sake. When this happens cache may be wiped which is part of the C state process which can cause current audio data that other cores were using to be wiped out. This process forces the CPU to restart the thread from the beginning which will show up as an audio drop out since audio requires the stream to be constant. Hence why this shows up intermittently and is much more common at low latency.

Remember all of this communication is traveling along the PCI Bus taking high priority. Other Devices requesting CPU time are pushed to cache state while this is going on. Also this communication is taking bandwidth that PCI bus devices are using. This really shows up on Firewire Audio devices due to how those are designed and laptops due to resource stacking and Device ID prioritizing to squeeze as much data through a limited highway as possible.

Once again all of this is intermittent due to what you are doing, what hardware/plugins you are using, and what latency you are running. You might be fine for 1 session and then have nightmares while mixing. Leaving Turbo Mode active is putting allot of possible failure points into your workflow and will cause issues that may seem like they are due to other factors but are really due to the C state changes and the PCI Bus activity that is occurring from the Turbo Mode and EIST.

There is allot more to what is going on in the Background on the current hardware besides this due to the architecture that will also exacerbate this issue more but that is a much longer discussion.  
    Eric

Scott
    ADK
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/06 18:35:30 (permalink)
    Well I asked for reasons and you sure as heck gave them. I will need some time to digest all this. In the meantime thanks for doing this Scott.

Best
    John
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/06 18:37:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info!

Can you tell me how to turn off core parking in Win7 64 bit, and Sonar 8.5.2 64 bit?

My Win7 meters for the i7 920 CPU show all 8 cores running at about 30%. The overall system is at about 33%.

But inside Sonar, I load the large transport bar which shows all cores running about 30% except the first one which is running around 70%. If I push the system I can get it to 80% and dropouts occur, but the other 7 cores are still at 30%. And there is no spike in the Win7 meters either.

I'm thinking somehow Sonar is mostly using core 1 and when that taps out, doesn't go to the other ones. I would love for it to use all 8 at once. Do you know if this is possible?

Thanks,

datadog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/06 18:55:52 (permalink)
    Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to post this geeky stuff for everyone to gain knowledge from.

When I first built my i7920 (1366), I ran with default Bios settings with Turbo Boost on. I had some issues with glitching at low latency settings and consequently upped my buffer settings to compensate not knowing about this.

Some time ago, I turned off Turbo Boost in the Bios to overclock the CPU to 3.2G and clock my ram at 1600 by raising Bclck- everything is working primo at these settings. I never lowered my buffers again until now and noticed I can run my soundcard's  buffers at 64 samples (The lowest it'll go) without any issues whatsoever. Part of this might be due to the enhancements to the audio engine in Sonar 8.52 but it seems that Turbo Boost was probably affecting performance also.

Again, thanks- you're a scholar and a master!

datadog
    http://www.518music.com

i7 920, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Mushkin DDR3 1600, ATI Radeon HD 5450, RME Fireface UFX, UAD2's, Windows7 x64, Sonar X3C x64, Reaper 4 x64, Studio One Pro V2.61 x64, NI Komplete 6, Waves v9 Gold, SSL Bundle x64.
    SONARtist
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 599
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/06 19:28:05 (permalink)
    Scott / Eric ...

many thanks for taking the time and putting out your "condensed" version on all this.  It certainly is fascinating to read how the gurus are going about solving one problem (power consumption / heat) while creating new ones.  As always, it's the minority groups (e.g. us DAW users) that suffer the most in the process.  Pity nobody thinks about creating a DAW-only OS, with DAW-only specific processors/chips.  The major DAW software, chipmakers and OS companies could all get together, just like the instrument makers did with MIDI back then.

Maybe, one day ...
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/06 20:13:51 (permalink)

Thanks for that techy info, Scott, but it wasn't me who needed to be persuaded that TurboBoost can be problematic.  hehe

A1MixMan:

Sounds like you need to apply the two relavant tweaks (which are the Disable Core Parking tweak and Aud.ini tewak)? Below is a link to a thread with the info for disabling core parking: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

Here's a link to a post for how to apply the Aud.ini tweak: http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1853288

And I think the best way to tell if all cores are more evenly sharing the load is to open the task manager and view the Performance tab or the Resource Monitor via the Performance tab in the Task Manager dialog/window. 

You may be enlightned to know that even with those tweaks applied, some situations can cause the CPU load to still be rather disproportinately distrubuted among the CPU threads, as mentioned in the post linked to below:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1866353
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2010/02/06 20:32:27

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    jcschild
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/07 15:07:17 (permalink)
    John

Well I asked for reasons and you sure as heck gave them. I will need some time to digest all this. In the meantime thanks for doing this Scott.
    My pleasure John! there is much more Eric or i could write but i ran out of time and really much more past what we posted would become too long a read.
    i had wanted to mention wave Rt and how its supposed to get us even closer to real system time by accessing the hardware layer more directly.
    but thats for another day.

When challenged i dont normally have the time to write essays ( as it was i was in here on Sat finishing it, when i was supposed to be working on my wifes website :-)  ) i just could not get it done during a normal work week. too many interuptions.

i also left off that settings vary with motherboards.
    that turning off C1E stops a good amount of it but your cpu can still throttle up/down with eist or by leaving turbo boost on.
    turbo cant function completely (cant turn off cores since C1e is off) but can change some things and again it varies by bios and how the manufacturer impliments it and ACPI.

post edited by jcschild - 2010/02/07 15:16:11

Scott
    ADK
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/07 15:22:19 (permalink)
    Thanks Scott,

clear as day.

best,
    mike

stratman70
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3044
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/07 17:04:00 (permalink)
    Really great Stuff! I have a new setup and still am "confused" about some of the BIOS settings. This helps and it's just great that you took the time and effort to explain all this so fully.
    I have the Asus P6T SE which has the AI tweaker crap. I have turned off things I was pretty sure of. Asus should write a manual just about their BIOS settings. I have 6GB Triple Channel Corsair XMS3 1600. It's running at 1066 according to the Bios. On the Asus website forums it says to leave it like that? Why did I buy 1600 if I am going to run it at 1066? But I am not sure what to edit to get "normal" operation from this MB. If that's even possible.
    Thanks for the fabulous reference info!
    Frank

attalus
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1687
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/07 18:50:49 (permalink)
    So i take it several things should be turned off in BIOS i.e. Turbo Mode, C1e, Speedstep, etc ? Or should only one function be turned off i.e. Turbo Mode?

And i assume Core Parking should be turned off aswell from a Windows files location?
    post edited by attalus - 2010/02/07 18:59:10

A wise man learns from his experiences, a wiser man learns from everyone elses experiences.
    jcschild
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/08 08:58:43 (permalink)
    All power saving should be turned off including turbo yes.

Scott
    ADK
    attalus
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1687
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/08 18:17:54 (permalink)
    Understood. Thanks for the good posts!

A wise man learns from his experiences, a wiser man learns from everyone elses experiences.
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/08 19:37:09 (permalink)
    ... only single thread which will send high priority commands to one or 2 cores ...
    ... it's going to start shutting down cores for performance sake ...
    ... cache may be wiped which is part of the C state process which can cause current audio data that other cores were using to be wiped out ...
    ... This process forces the CPU to restart the thread from the beginning ...
    ... all of this communication is traveling along the PCI Bus ...

???

Bill B.
    wolfstudios53
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/09 06:15:49 (permalink)
    I was also having audio dropouts, midi synch problems, and Sonar unexplainably crashing
    till I turned off the Speestep in the Bios with my Win7/64 machine.
    Thanks for information, for the machine is running great now and I can continue my work.
    Your information is invaluable, as is this Forum.

Cheers

Asus P6T - i7/920 - 18 GB ram - Nvidia ASUS GT640 Video - 3-1.5 TB HD - Focusrite 20/20 
     Sonar Platinum - Faderport 16 - Big Knob - Soundcraft - DA-30 - MR-2 - RT 707 - Studio equipment/Synth modules/keyboards/guitars
    Little time to use them! 
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/10 21:29:59 (permalink)
    As posted in my other thread, thanks, Scott! Information (partially, still working on it) assimilated and much appreciated.

My current DAW, built before the i7's were out I think, is (don't laugh) AMD-based (Phenom 9850). Is there any equivalent to all this in an AMD-based system I should be looking into?
    jcschild
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/11 12:03:37 (permalink)
    AMD has cool and quiet i cant recall if that was an issue or not its been awhile.

Scott
    ADK
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/11 12:15:43 (permalink)
    I asked Asus support about that; and when they said it could throttle down the system I left it strictly alone (default: not enabled). Also haven't messed with AI overclocking ("auto") in the BIOS.

Not that I'm anxious to overclock this system; it's been quite stable so far since I got the right RAM in it. I leave overclocking to experts like yourself.
    Since I don't have CPU spikes like others have reported I guessed that if there was an equivalent in the AMD BIOS it wasn't enabled by default (or isn't causing trouble); but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    Thanks again, Scott.

post edited by Phoenix - 2010/02/11 13:07:13
    eratu
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2856
    Re:C1E, C3, C6, EIST, Speedstep, Turbo Boost, Core parking 2010/02/11 13:01:22 (permalink)
    Thank you, Scott! Great info as always. You convinced me to check out my
    BIOS again. :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1