Soundfonts Sonar X1

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Billyk_uk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/12/12 07:51:35 (permalink)

Soundfonts Sonar X1

I like to use Soundfonts with Sonar, probably outdated, but my choice, I could select instruments from my collection of soundfonts with Sonar 8.5, but although X1 plays files created with soundfonts I can find no way to change or select  instruments.

Can anyone help?

32 Replies Related Threads

sergiobklyn
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2010/12/12 07:58:44 (permalink)
    How are you using the soundfonts?  Is it with Sfz, SynthFont, or your Creative Labs hardware synth?
    Billyk_uk
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2010/12/12 08:15:11 (permalink)
    using SB x-fi Synth, worked well in sonar 8.5, soundfonts appeared in menu system for instrument selection.
    sergiobklyn
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2010/12/12 08:27:18 (permalink)
    Maybe they removed the hardware soundfont support in X1.  I don't know when, but I'll install X1 in my system with hardware soundfont (E-mu APS) and will let you know what I get.
    I wished they'd post a list of X1 changes and bug fixes.
    Sergio
    AndrewLMacaulay
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/16 14:18:19 (permalink)
    It does look as if they have removed SoundFont support - which, although not a problem for many professionals, is a BIG problem for those of us who have built up a library of stuff that uses hardware soundfont support over the years and have invested in cards such as the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude (which is a great card, for what I want)!

Even worse, as you can't see what the settings were, there is even no way to go back and move it all to sfz (and this is before people have to cope with the additional processor overhead this will bring)!

Together with the pain of trying to move to x64 and the way that different plug-ins don't translate between x32 and x64 hosts (showing up as not installed) I am getting really really annoyed with X1 now - and starting to get to a point where I wish I never upgraded!

Come on Roland/Cakewalk - sort these problems out, and please get the SoundFont support back in the product..... and, if you are considering removing functionality as key as this, you really need to state clearly in your promotional material and your manuals what you are planning to do well in advanced of actually removing it so that people can (1) decide if they will upgrade and (2) know that they need to convert their material before they install the new version!

THIS REALLY IS STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A DISASTEROUS UPGRADE FOR SONAR!
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/16 14:33:14 (permalink)
    with regard to the sound font.. they are treated as midi if your using them via a sound bank much like any other device.. your loading them into you SB  and sys ram ?

I haven't use soundfonts in sonar, but they are just patch / bank number.. for example IF you had something on bank 11.. so if your loadin them into ram.. at say bank 11... try puttin in 11 into the bank bit OR * 128 = 1408 and then the patch number in the other box

they aren't really treated any different to a hardware sound module with sounds in various banks.

how do you get on if you load an 8.5 project into X ? maybe that will shed some light. open up the instrument pane and you'll see the patch / bank details..

other than that if your not using creative hardware you could use SFZ+

http://www.store.cakewalk...ductid=35-CWSZ1.40-20E
    post edited by Fog - 2011/01/16 14:37:06
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/16 20:45:50 (permalink)

Together with the pain of trying to move to x64 and the way that different plug-ins don't translate between x32 and x64 hosts (showing up as not installed)

You may get rid of some SoftSynth loading errors by always running SONAR x64 as an administrator.

If it's any consolation for hardware soundfont users, SFZ Player is a native x64 version in X1. Moreover, Cakewalk has released SFZ Player's Big Brother, SFZ+ Professional for free. There's not a native x64 version of SFZ+ Pro, but it appears to work OK in SONAR X64 under Bitbridge; just remember to set the SFZ+ Play mode to "PR32" or you will get a "not enough memory" error when loading soundfonts into SFZ+ Pro.
    post edited by thomasabarnes - 2011/01/16 20:49:33

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/16 21:02:38 (permalink)
    Yes, you need to use the sfz soft synth to play soundfonts in SONAR X1.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    Voxas
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/19 10:28:24 (permalink)
    It's very sad news , that  X1 don't have soundfont manager . &  to suggest to use SFZ plugin synth to play soundfonts is not correct , because this version of VST synth is not reading many controls, which I use in modulator properties in Veinna Soudfont Studio,  in SB X-fi card  there is hardware sample synth & it is not copatible with VST SFZ synth player . Yes if I make or use old soundfonts , or work in old fashion way with soundfonts it's O.K. I can use SFZ synth , but without modulator properties it's dull sound . & I'm not found in IT another Soundfont "mashine" , which plays soundfonts properly , only maybe speedsoft/mazsound Vsampler (it's not easy to use & total no support) , or maybe EMU X sampler ( I'd never tried ), others play not correctly . Only one surprise , that files , which are made with previous versions & include soundfont are playing in X1 correctly , but there is no features to edit & change these soundfonts in older file, on Sonar X1. Anyway o.k. I will use Sonar PE 8.5, there is no another way . In Old Cakewalk days was software Sound Font Manager , maybe needs to renew this old soft for some users . sorry for my english , I think U will understand me .... .
    AndrewLMacaulay
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/22 12:45:46 (permalink)
    This is a major step back - and SFZ is both lacklustre in terms of output, and only allows you one bank per instance. So when you have constructed music with many SoundFonts used, you will need that many SFZ instances - and you have to do all of this manually to move from the good (and I do mean good) old way to the new (i.e. only option available) way.

Also, just be aware that it looks like SFZ+ is being deprecated - it is now free, has not been updated since the original rcg:Audio version 1.00 (so only works 64-bit through bitmeter) and seems to have known problems of sometime simply not allowing you to load SoundFonts, saying there is insufficient memory (I am on a 64-bit 4Gb machine at this time, others have reported this on 6Gb and more machines).My guess is that this will go the same way as the built-in SoundFont support has gone in SONAR X1 - i.e quitely (without any comment) dropped, even if people actually rely on it! Having said this, when it works, at least SFZ+ does allow you to load multiple SoundFonts into different channels under one instance.

Also, and this is equally a big negative, neither SFZ nor SFZ+ show the list of patches available in the SoundFont nor surfaces this correctly, with the result that any track that used MIDI to change the patch, now simply DOES NOT WORK with either SFZ or SFZ+. The original SoundFont player included with Cakewalk (LiveSynth Pro) was better than these, although it was DXi, is no longer developed and therefore does not work 64-bit!

COME ON ROLAND. At least if you are removing the native (hardware based) support for SoundFonts, give us an equivalent way to work with them through software - there is a huge amount of SoundFont libraries out there that people are still using, and making it second-class in terms of SONAR will simply push people to look at alternatives.

(really getting annoyed about this now)
    Fog
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/01/22 13:23:28 (permalink)
    try this, and get back to me.. it should work "hopefully" >

edit > preferences

MIDI > devices
    devices make sure your soundblaster or whatever it is ticked / enabled .. it's listed as (synth or something ?!?!)

APPLY

then go midi > instruments

you will see a list of your soundcards midi , which is how you trigger midi

go thru each 1 on the list change from <default> to sound font device

APPLY

---

then save that out as a template .e.g. SFnormal or something

hopefully this will make a certain CJ happy if it works ;-)

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/22 13:25:00
    mrbumpy409
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/02/17 11:18:07 (permalink)
    Has anybody had any luck with this?  I want to know if hardware SoundFont loading works before I bite the bullet on the upgrade.
    carlosagm79
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/02/18 00:51:21 (permalink)
    mrbumpy409

Has anybody had any luck with this?  I want to know if hardware SoundFont loading works before I bite the bullet on the upgrade.

Sonar X1 soundfont supports reminds the same, solid as rock, 0 latency with creative cards, just remember to set control 0 when select patches
    carlosagm79
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/02/18 00:54:16 (permalink)
    Billyk_uk

I like to use Soundfonts with Sonar, probably outdated, but my choice, I could select instruments from my collection of soundfonts with Sonar 8.5, but although X1 plays files created with soundfonts I can find no way to change or select  instruments.

Can anyone help?

remember you have to use ¨Controller 0¨to select soundfont patches in a creative SB card, Sonar still support hardware sf2 synths
    carlosagm79
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/02/18 01:00:32 (permalink)
    AndrewLMacaulay

This is a major step back - and SFZ is both lacklustre in terms of output, and only allows you one bank per instance. So when you have constructed music with many SoundFonts used, you will need that many SFZ instances - and you have to do all of this manually to move from the good (and I do mean good) old way to the new (i.e. only option available) way.

Also, just be aware that it looks like SFZ+ is being deprecated - it is now free, has not been updated since the original rcg:Audio version 1.00 (so only works 64-bit through bitmeter) and seems to have known problems of sometime simply not allowing you to load SoundFonts, saying there is insufficient memory (I am on a 64-bit 4Gb machine at this time, others have reported this on 6Gb and more machines).My guess is that this will go the same way as the built-in SoundFont support has gone in SONAR X1 - i.e quitely (without any comment) dropped, even if people actually rely on it! Having said this, when it works, at least SFZ+ does allow you to load multiple SoundFonts into different channels under one instance.

Also, and this is equally a big negative, neither SFZ nor SFZ+ show the list of patches available in the SoundFont nor surfaces this correctly, with the result that any track that used MIDI to change the patch, now simply DOES NOT WORK with either SFZ or SFZ+. The original SoundFont player included with Cakewalk (LiveSynth Pro) was better than these, although it was DXi, is no longer developed and therefore does not work 64-bit!

COME ON ROLAND. At least if you are removing the native (hardware based) support for SoundFonts, give us an equivalent way to work with them through software - there is a huge amount of SoundFont libraries out there that people are still using, and making it second-class in terms of SONAR will simply push people to look at alternatives.

(really getting annoyed about this now)

Sonar X1 still support hardware sf2 synths, I use it everyday with my Audigy ZS,sfz+ its a great soundfont payer also, like reason NNXT, sfz+ its a bit tricky, you have to set just the MIDI channel in Sonar and the channel, bank patch in the vsti interface
    carlosagm79
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/02/18 01:04:50 (permalink)
    garrigus

Yes, you need to use the sfz soft synth to play soundfonts in SONAR X1.

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar X1 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

Or you can simply use the same soundfont manager that cakewalks use to have, I use Sonar X1 with an audigy ZS perfectly, load fast, 0 latency, no cpu, 4 effects for MIDI channel, the same bug when editing NRPNs 
    plamengv
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/27 20:38:32 (permalink)
    carlosagm79, I pretty much believe you speak about the software soundfont support via the SFZ+.
    None of us want to use SFZ+. We want to use our Creative X-FI cards with complete native hardware support for SoundFonts.
    There is No soundfont manager in Sonar X1 64bit.

Intel DX58SO | Core i7 930@3.8GHz | Thermalright IFX-14 | Kingston 3 x 2GB@2000MHz | XFX GT240@Accelero S1 rev.2 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | 2 x 80GB SSD Intel | 2 x 1TB Hitachi | Pioneer BDR-205 | CoolerMaster SilentPro M600  | Antec SLK1600 | Yamaha DB-50XG @ MidiTemp DoXBoX | MOTU Traveler | Dell 3007WFP
    Fog
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/27 22:48:15 (permalink)
    did anyone try what I suggested with relation to the ports on their SB card ? just curious.. as well SF2's regardless of sequencers are a bank + patch number..

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/27 22:56:15 (permalink)
    plamengv

carlosagm79, I pretty much believe you speak about the software soundfont support via the SFZ+.
    None of us want to use SFZ+. We want to use our Creative X-FI cards with complete native hardware support for SoundFonts.
    There is No soundfont manager in Sonar X1 64bit.

Well, you can only speak for yourself - I've never used a game card for a Sonar interface but I've used SoundFonts for a long time with SFZ and SFZ+ which can load 16 instruments at a time.  It's not tricky to use, it's like any other multi-timbral synth/sampler/soundfont player - you just match up MIDI tracks in Sonar to the MIDI tracks in the player.  Works great.

The old technology of using Creative cards was cool a long time ago, but it's so not needed now---.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    plamengv
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/27 22:58:15 (permalink)
    Fog, there is no problem to get the SoundFonts working. As this is not related to Sonar at all. Sonar can work with the soundfonts just like any external hardware sampler.
    The problem is that the soundfonts are no longer part of the project. They are not loaded with the project automatically. You have to use different way to load the sounds you have used in your project. Imagine that each time you open your project with Kontakt software sampler you have to load manually all the sounds for all 16 or more midi channels. This is what Sonar do now, it opens the midi project but no sounds are automatically loaded in the X-FI SoundFont memory. There was SoundFont Manager, now it is gone.

rbowser, Creative X-Fi Titanium is very recent PCI-Express audio card (which means it will work for the next 10 years), with amazing chip inside, hardware sampler with complete 24bit support and 4 FX Buses and you get zero latency and zero cpu load! I can use up to 4GB of memory to load SoundFonts.
    post edited by plamengv - 2011/04/27 23:06:05

Intel DX58SO | Core i7 930@3.8GHz | Thermalright IFX-14 | Kingston 3 x 2GB@2000MHz | XFX GT240@Accelero S1 rev.2 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | 2 x 80GB SSD Intel | 2 x 1TB Hitachi | Pioneer BDR-205 | CoolerMaster SilentPro M600  | Antec SLK1600 | Yamaha DB-50XG @ MidiTemp DoXBoX | MOTU Traveler | Dell 3007WFP
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/27 23:09:09 (permalink)
    plamengv

rbowser, Creative X-Fi Titanium is very recent PCI-Express audio card (which means it will work for the next 10 years), with amazing chip inside, hardware sampler with complete 24bit support and 4 FX Buses and you get zero latency and zero cpu load! I can use up to 4GB of memory to load SoundFonts.

That's great, plamengv - But it isn't needed is all I'm saying.  I've used SoundFonts for years without needing any special card - and it's rather well known that Creative cards are one of the worst choices for an interface with Sonar.

SFZ - Use it like any other synth, and all your sound fonts for a project will be loaded each time you open the project like any other sounds/instruments.  It's a much more sleek and efficient way to go.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    6stringsat100mph
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1385
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/28 00:33:31 (permalink)
    Guys...There is a solution for your soundfont woes...and it's name is Vsampler 3 by a company called speedsoft. This amazing soundfont (plus every other sound extension is supported) host/editor was part of Sonar 3.0 Producer then discontinued by Cake and then dropped by the creator. There is still some support for it and it can be purchased here Vsampler for 29.00 US for upgrade and 179.00 US for complete release.
    Demo versions can still be had as well, just pm me and I will forward you the link. I highly recommend this last idea.
    It really is an awesome and easy to use solution. You will find yourself going to it for many things once your brain gets around the interface.

Good Luck
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2011/04/28 00:40:32
    Fog
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/28 13:09:40 (permalink)
    plamengv , so they are not loaded into a SB's soundfont manager / main memory like previously regardless of the sequencer ?

I didn't realise it loaded in the fonts as part of the song.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/28 13:22:07 (permalink)
    Kontakt 4 will load SF2 files.

Best
    John
    toby
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/28 15:01:57 (permalink)
     Maybe this?

It's free

HTH

GaryWalker
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/28 17:13:13 (permalink)
    Here's another free Soundfont player:

Prodyon Phenome

It has support for multiple outputs and there are other nifty features too. It's not CPU hungry either.

Cheers,
    Gary.

Current configuration:
    Core i3 Laptop / 8GB RAM; Sonar Platinum (replaced with REAPER); Roland Quad Capture interface; Alesis Micron; Roland XP30; Akai Mini MPK; Akai S2000
    plamengv
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/30 18:42:41 (permalink)
    Fog,  there is only one thing not working - a project made in Cakewalk Aduio v8.0, 9.0 & Cakewalk Sonar v1,v2,v3... v8.5 that use soundfonts! Sonar X1 opens all these perfectly working since dekade of years projects just like there is no any soundfont to load. Because Sonar X1 does not have the so called 'SoundFont Banks Manager'.
    Imagine tomorrow that Sonar Y1 comes with zero support for Kontakt and you are not able even to find out what samples you have used.

Thanks to everyone trying to help, but software is not considered as solution by me. The point is to use the hardware.  And also read the above - the software sampler will not tell you what samples you have used in your projects.  
    Anyway I have been given the information that the demand is zero and there will be no more SoundFont Bank Manager in Sonar.
    So anyone asking for it - you are zero demand so don't waste your time.

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/04/30 18:57:06 (permalink)
    Well, that's just evolution for ya. 

I mean sheesh, the last time I used soundfonts and/or a Creative card was....'97 or so. I know Creative still makes cards but the world has moved on.

You can use the sfz player if you still want to use your libraries (or upgrade to a good soft sampler like Kontakt was suggested), and for old projects that have the soundfonts installed inline...well you'll have to use an older version of SONAR to continue working on those old projects. It's a bit of a bugbear but it happens to all of us and all your new projects should be fine with a new (freely available) solution. 

Generally speaking on older projects I usually render out the patches, if for nothing else than to future-proof my projects. I dumped my XP-50 synth (actually it's leaning up against my wall) and had to spend a ton of time recording in all the audio from projects where I used it. Tedious, but hey I can still fire up projects I started on Pro-Audio 5.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/05/01 00:40:43 (permalink)
    I can't believe that anyone's using soundfonts in this century. It's one sure way of guaranteeing lifeless, dull recordings. 

Treat yourselves to a copy of Sampletank Free and move on. It's even supported in X1 x64. 

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Soundfonts Sonar X1 2011/05/01 02:31:36 (permalink)
    is this the place i sign the petition to ban soundfonts?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1