SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
timwalk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2011/09/06 23:28:23 (permalink)

SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies

-- Would someone write a simple straight forward tutorial or explanation on how to have multi instruments in Kontakt and how to point them to different channels for recording purposes? --

I am one of many newbies in Sonar. I have Kontakt. I also just purchased Spitfire Albion Strings (awesome).
I need a simple tutorial on how to open Kontakt and let each string work on a separate track. Currently they only all end up in the same place.

I've searched high and low but to no avail. I suppose it works the same as the instruments that come with Kontakt. So either way. 

--Would someone write a simple straight forward tutorial or explanation on how to have multi instruments in Kontakt and how to point them to different channels for recording purposes?--

Thank you from ALL of us newbies that have been searching for the easy steps.

An appreciative Sonar newbie,

Tim

35 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 00:43:20 (permalink)
    First  insert Kontakt in the synth rack. A pop up dialog should appear. Here is where you configure how you want Kontakt to work in your project. Pay attention to multi outs. You will want to select All Synth Outputs.  Click OK and X1 will start making multiple audio tracks.

Now you have Kontakt up and empty. No instruments are loaded. Toward the left top you will see a menu that has Files Libraries Database. Lets go to the database by clicking on it. You should see columns with type bank and timbre. For now select under type Piano/Keys. In the next column select Grand Piano. Look down below the database and you should see 3 pianos there. Select the last one which should be Grand Piano. You do this by double clicking on it. That instrument module will load. Now here is the hard part(not really)You should see the GP module with its name there near the top left. Just below it is output and just below that is the input.

The input should match your MIDI tracks output. I will get to that in a moment.

Be sure that the mixer is shown for Kontakt. There you will see some channel strips You add more if you need to up to the number of audio tracks you have created using that popup dialog that came up when you inserted Kontakt. Now you may need to set up the mixer for other channels. At the bottom the first channel will have 1/2 that is output 1 and 2.  Nest if don't see a output in numbers just plus click on it and a dialog will appear. Here you select another out from the list.  You do this for as many outs as you need.

For the first module it is set up by default most likely the way you will want.  Now lets load another instrument module. Go back to the database and select organ. In the third column select vintage looking below Melotron Organ should be there. Double click on it and it will also load. Although the module is different the area above where the name is is the same as the piano the output will most likely be the first or channel 1. Change that to 2. Click on it and it will give you a drop down window that offers all the mixer channels setup in the mixer.  You want the second one or as above 2.

The MIDI channel should also be changed to 2 if it isn't already.

Now you have Kontakt setup you need to go to your first MIDI track and select its output to Kontakt. The Inspector is a good place to go for this. If using the Inspector Go to the bottom of the inspector and select Kontakt.

Just below the FX bin you have 3 drop down widgets. The first sets the channel for Kontakt. The other 2 don't count with a soft sampler. They do with hardware. 

If there is data in the MIDI track then play X1 by hitting the play button.

For the second MIDI track do everything the same except change the top channel widget to 2.

Repeat as needed.

Best
    John
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 07:13:51 (permalink)
    looking forward to trying that out.  thanks john :)
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 10:18:24 (permalink)
    Not to confuse the matter for the OP... 
    But I just wanted to mention that Sonar is particularly flexible in the routing of VSTi outputs.
    You can set any track to receive any synth output.
    Once you're up-to-speed with the routing, you'll appreciate the flexibility.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 10:24:01 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

Not to confuse the matter for the OP... 
    But I just wanted to mention that Sonar is particularly flexible in the routing of VSTi outputs.
    You can set any track to receive any synth output.
    Once you're up-to-speed with the routing, you'll appreciate the flexibility.

unfortunately, it's Kontakt which is not very user friendly as far as output routing goes, at least IMO. 

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 10:30:53 (permalink)

Applause to John - Stepping through post #2 should get any newbie up and running.  And Jim's footnote about how slick it is to route any MIDI track to any synth in Sonar is something that will light up like the proverbial Eureka! light bulb, once these basics of MIDI routing in Sonar are grasped.

Props to you both.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 10:31:48 (permalink)
    unfortunately, it's Kontakt which is not very user friendly as far as output routing goes, at least IMO.

Agreed...
    I believe NI are adding "Output section presets" with Kontakt version 5.  If the routing flexibility is enhanced (within Kontakt itself), this might be a significant reason to upgrade.  I need to research this.
    I know many folks (including myself) aren't overly excited by the new feature list.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    brammer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 819
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 11:25:07 (permalink)
    God Bless you John!! and timwalk

I have wrestled with this since I got Kontackt - seemed like I could only load one sample per track/instrument

Thanks for the help guys!

i7-930, 12 gigs RAM, Gigabyte UD3, Geforce 960 
    Win10 Pro 64, Sonar Platinum  
    M-Audio Profire 2626, Mackie Control Pro,
    Yamaha Motif ES Rack, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro, 
    Music Labs Guitars, TH2, Guitar Rig 5, Superior Drummer 2.2,
    EZ Drummer, Kontakt 5, Melodyne 2.0 64 bit
    timwalk
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 13:50:57 (permalink)
    Thank you John. Thank you Jim. 
    I just downloaded the Kontakt 5. I'll post any changes they may have tweaked that can assist us.
    If I get this all neatly mastered maybe I, we, thee, can put together a very clear training video.

Thank you again.

Tim

jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 14:48:29 (permalink)
    I believe NI are adding "Output section presets" with Kontakt version 5.
    They already have this in Kontakt 4. I don't think it's that bad setting up Kontakt outputs...

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 15:40:16 (permalink)
    timwalk

Thank you John. Thank you Jim. 
    I just downloaded the Kontakt 5. I'll post any changes they may have tweaked that can assist us.
    If I get this all neatly mastered maybe I, we, thee, can put together a very clear training video.

Thank you again.

Tim

You are very welcome. I hope what I wrote is of help.

Best
    John
    bladetragic
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 16:04:39 (permalink)
    I'm aware of the method that John described as that is how I've always known to do this with Kontakt.
    My question is...is it possible to setup multiple instruments in one instance of Kontakt and have them function separately without routing to different midi channels. 
    For example, like Omnisphere......the way you can route each of the 8 channels to a separate output but have them all on the same midi channel and have them functioning independently and playing different melodies, etc. 
    When you get to using some of the in-depth string libraries w/ Kontakt and so forth you can start running out of midi channels rather quickly if you only have 16 midi channels.
    rbowser
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 16:09:14 (permalink)
    bladetragic

...When you get to using some of the in-depth string libraries w/ Kontakt and so forth you can start running out of midi channels rather quickly if you only have 16 midi channels.

AFIK, Kontakt has 16 stereo pairs out.  Usually you have one MIDI channel set up per instrument slot - total of 16 instruments possible.  When you need more instruments, you insert another instance - and that comes with a new set of 16 MIDI channels available to it.

You can leave your keyboard set to MIDI channel one, what's important is the right MIDI channel is set up on each of your tracks in Sonar.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 16:14:26 (permalink)
    bladetragic

I'm aware of the method that John described as that is how I've always known to do this with Kontakt.
    My question is...is it possible to setup multiple instruments in one instance of Kontakt and have them function separately without routing to different midi channels. 
    For example, like Omnisphere......the way you can route each of the 8 channels to a separate output but have them all on the same midi channel and have them functioning independently and playing different melodies, etc. 
    When you get to using some of the in-depth string libraries w/ Kontakt and so forth you can start running out of midi channels rather quickly if you only have 16 midi channels.

I don't see how that would be possible. Nor do I understand how that could be done in any other synth. If you send MIDI data from one MIDI track to all modules in Kontakt all those modules will play the same MIDI data. If you have a synth that has its own MIDI patterns such as SD3 then yes but it isn't just playing the MIDI from the MIDI track.

Best
    John
    Jim Roseberry
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/07 16:19:14 (permalink)
    They already have this in Kontakt 4. I don't think it's that bad setting up Kontakt outputs...

I didn't explain that well... 

From the NI website:

16 CHANNEL BUS SYSTEM
    The new 16- bus system introduces comprehensive routing options with integrated insert and send effects. This is a powerful tool for creating detailed effects chains within an instrument. For example, when building a drum kit, you might want to use completely different effects on the kick, toms and snare, while still sending the whole kit to a stereo master channel. Now you can.

It's not hard routing simple stereo instruments in Kontakt.
    But if you're dealing with multi-channel instruments... Kontakt 4 isn't the most flexible.
    ie:  There's no means of "down mixing" multi-channel instruments to stereo outputs with EFX.
    If I understand correctly, this is addressed with version 5.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/09 06:38:00 (permalink)
    Hi Jim, Aah you're talking about efx and busses *within* an instrument. This is new in K5 but I think this is way beyond what this thread is talking about ;-) I also take back my words about Kontakt being "not too bad" to set up. I guess it *is* a little confusing - and the outputs from K5 seem to look a little screwy in SONAR X1 (when you choose which out a SONAR track is assigned to) - although they play back fine.

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/09 16:12:44 (permalink)
    The Kontakt routing scheme is a bit funny.  I remember having the harder time trying to use logic in how to lay out the outputs and Sonar for multiple tracks from one instance of Kontakt.  To the point where I would just have the INSERT SYNTH routine insert all the Sonar Tracks for Kontakt (Like 20 something stereo SONAR tracks under 1 Track Folder for each instance of Kontakt.

What I discovered is that unused Kontakt audio tracks in SONAR caused a tremendous amount of unneeded CPU power for the empty Sonar audio tracks tied to SONAR. So, if you follow this example, make sure you delay the unused AUDIO tracks in the Kontakt Sonar folder and you can watch your CPU meter go WAY WAY down.

But after awhile, this audio routing between Kontakt and Sonar became second nature.  I still have the INSERT SYNTH insert only the FIRST audio track and I add additional Sonar audio tracks as needed to each instance of Kontakt without really having to think about it.

And I am not looking forward to re-learning this routing if K5 has changed the way this works.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/09 16:52:51 (permalink)
    Jim you sure about high CPU with unused audio tracks in Kontakt? I have never seen that on my system. Are you basing this on the Sonar CPU meter or Windows?

Best
    John
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/09 19:33:21 (permalink)
    John,

I am basing this on SONAR CPU usage... sluggish system.... deleting the unused tracks really sped things up.  Now, I usually have 5-10 instances of Kontakt running in my projects (long story why there are so many)... and the potential 100's of extra unused audio tracks unmasked this for me.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2011/09/09 19:57:01 (permalink)
    OK that may explain it.  Thanks for explaining.

Best
    John
    The_Dr
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 17:21:08 (permalink)
      Dumb question, but how do you find Kontakt in order to insert it? I have Kontakt 5 (full stand alone version) which doesn't show up in Sonar X1 under the insert soft synth list. Alternativly is there a way to rout it outside of inserting it? Sorry for asking such a basic question, but I can't figure this out. I want to route Sonar X1 Track 1 to Konakt Midi channel 1 and so on. Currently I can only get all tracks of Sonar X1 to trigger the 1st instrument in Kontakt, but not 2,3,4...etc. Thanks!
    Beagle
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 17:39:06 (permalink)
    your problem is likely that you didn't add the kontakt location to your scan folder.  and if you've installed kontakt while sonar is open then it hasn't had a chance to scan it anyway.

go to preferences (P) and go to FILE>VST SETTINGS and add the correct folders to the scan path for the 64bit and/or 32bit Kontakt where it was installed.  then click on the SCAN VST FOLDERS button.

you need to use it as a VST, not standalone for it to route into sonar.

The_Dr
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 19:03:32 (permalink)
      I've added every Native Instrument/Kontakt folder I could find...but still can't get Kontakt to show under Insert/Soft Synths. That does seem to be the problem, but can't seem to resolve it. Thanks for any additional thoughts you may have or anyone else that may have thoughts. NOTE: I have the Full version of Kontakt 5 not the free player (because not all instruments work in player)
    post edited by The_Dr - 2012/01/08 19:55:11
    thomasabarnes
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3234
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 20:13:54 (permalink)
    With SONAR closed, re-install Kontakt and pay attention where it installs the VSTi dll files. When done, open SONAR go to the Cakewalk plug in Manager and add the location of the Kontakt dll files and then do a VST scan.

That should do it.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
    inaheartbeat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 21:03:37 (permalink)
    The_Dr

I've added every Native Instrument/Kontakt folder I could find...but still can't get Kontakt to show under Insert/Soft Synths. That does seem to be the problem, but can't seem to resolve it. Thanks for any additional thoughts you may have or anyone else that may have thoughts. NOTE: I have the Full version of Kontakt 5 not the free player (because not all instruments work in player)

The 64 bit Kontakt VST in my installation is in:

Program Files/Native Instruments/VSTplugins 64 bit

See if you find it in that directory and that path is in your VST scan locations in preferences. It is for me and I did a pretty stock installation of Kontakt Komplete.

Ken

PC Audio Labs mobile i7 MC, 3.46 Ghz i7 990X, 12 Gb RAM, 3 750 Gb 7200 RPM drives, 3 USB2, 2 USB 3 ports, firewire, Windows 7 64 bit Pro, Sonar X3e Producer 64 bit, 
    rbowser
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 21:12:40 (permalink)
    Is the Kontakt .dll file the sort that you can't copy and paste into your preferred VST folder after installation if you didn't direct it there originally? Some you can do that with. All I know is it sure helps to have all your VSTs in one folder - a sub-folder in the master Cakewalk program file, instead of having them spread out all over and having to add more and more paths for the plug-in manager to scan. RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    The_Dr
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/08 21:40:55 (permalink)
      THANKS!!! It worked! Actauly it had been so long since I actually installed the software I just remember now I never installed the VST version (I thought I would only use stand alone). If anyone else has the same/similar issue this works. Additionally you may have to create a folder to put the 3 dll files into because when they were on their own the the cakewalk vstplugins folder that didn't work either...but after creating a Kontact folder within the VSTplugins folder and pionting the plugin finder to it as instructed above it worked! Thanks again!
    Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/09 14:01:56 (permalink)
    For any newbies using kontakt 4. I remember that someone released a few presets for the audio routing on the NI Kontakt forums a while back..  I'm on my mobile now so can't search for it. You load them as a multi.
    Hifidavid
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/09 17:21:09 (permalink)
    Well another bump.  For those of you who tried the points to get this to work, I'd love to see if they could post an update to John's great post.  I have been trying to get Kontakt 5 and Sonar to work for weeks now without success.  I get close though... I get the midi tracks to load and can play the instruments, recording midi data and playback...but I can't figure out how to record the AUDIO.  Where does this record/route to?  Do I create a seperate audio track with the input from Kontackt audio out?
    What am I missing?

Thanks!

Beagle
    Re:SONAR X1 and Kontakt Tutorial NEEDED for 100's of newbies 2012/01/09 17:37:32 (permalink)
    Hifidavid

Well another bump.  For those of you who tried the points to get this to work, I'd love to see if they could post an update to John's great post.  I have been trying to get Kontakt 5 and Sonar to work for weeks now without success.  I get close though... I get the midi tracks to load and can play the instruments, recording midi data and playback...but I can't figure out how to record the AUDIO.  Where does this record/route to?  Do I create a seperate audio track with the input from Kontackt audio out?
    What am I missing?

Thanks!

you don't record the audio, you just route it through the output tracks in sonar.  it sounds to me like you're trying to run kontakt standalone instead of as a VST.  you have to use it as a VST, insert it from the X1 browser or from the synth rack, choose however many outputs you want to use and the routing for the first stereo output pair of Kontakt automatically goes to the 1st output track created in sonar. 

after re-reading your post again, I'm not sure that's the case either.  regardless, even if you have kontakt inserted as a vst, you don't record the audio output.  if you have to have it as a static wavefile, (which some users want, but it's not always necessary depeding on what you're doing), then use BOUNCE TO TRACKS or FREEZE.  either of those options will give you a static wave instead of the output from the output tracks of the synth.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1