It's a "kick" out,,,,,,,

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jardim do mar
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1247
2005/01/26 19:15:31 (permalink)

It's a "kick" out,,,,,,,

how about we have a contest,,,,,,, ( no cheating D A,,, ok,,)
who can 'create " the best "kick" drum sample,,,,, all this jive about "kicks" and what not,,,,, then every week or month ,,,we pick another sample,,, a pad ....or string ,,,,etc.......... we all spend a considerable amount of time glued to the computer...... it might help the "new" users,,,, and challenge the seasoned ones,,,,, the winner gets an official 'cafe cubano" mug,,,,,, the t- shirt ting ,,,,is getting old,,,,,, all samples,,,,,fx,,,,,synths,,,,,etc ,,,,come from P5 ,,,,,, ,,,, we could upload P5 project files only,,,,, so beginers "see" what fun ,,,,and how easy it really is to explore the world of sound synthesis,,,,,, project 5 , com is ok ,,,, but this would be an "active" event,,,, no? sorry ,, it's the eastern euro influence ,,,,saying no,, but meaning yes,,,,,,, any ideas to 'expand" on this ?,,,,,,,, c'mon let's have a "kick" out,,,, who knows ,,,maybe it will develope into something else ,,,as always with this forum,,,,,,,,

marcella
And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....

33 Replies Related Threads

DelvarWorld
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/26 19:20:45 (permalink)
    Please use sentences and proper punctuation (use "." NOT ",")! It's very hard to decipher your post.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/26 19:22:23 (permalink)
    I think that we'd all get a "kick" out of this, on many levels. It'd have to be all-original samples; not only to limit the liability, but to keep a level playing field. OK, I'll admit it: I'm just in it for the mug. Is it empty? A full one would be a better incentive, and give the winner a "jump-start" for the next contest. Sounds like fun; let's do it!
    use "." NOT ","
    Well, then how would we recognize a Marcella post? That's just his style, Andrew, and the decryption process is part of the fun. Besides, his QWERTY has a tendency to go berserk every once in a while ...
    < Message edited by b rock -- 1/26/2005 7:33:45 PM >
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/26 19:46:46 (permalink)
    I think that we'd all get a "kick" out of this

It'd have to be all-original samples; not only to limit the liability, but to keep a level playing field.
    ,,, you got it,,

OK, I'll admit it: I'm just in it for the mug. Is it empty?
    welll,ya see,,, this is where we need your help "B",,, maybe ya could brew up ,,,a "dual burner" mix,,,,
    Please use sentences and proper punctuation (use "." NOT ",")! It's very hard to decipher your post.

his QWERTY has a tendency to go berserk every once in a while ...

thanks,,,for the save "B",,,,,)*&7quw,,,oh no,,,,&&&

as for the "kick out",,,, we need to pick a date ,,,,how's feb 14th? we post it,, in the forum,,,,so we keep it active/interesting,,,, any other specifics ?,,,, I'm thinking P5 project files only,,,

ok,,,who's the judge,,, maybe ,,nick haddad,,,,

oh,,, i don't want to see ,,,any posts,,,,on "how do I make a "kick" drum sample,,,, for the beginers ,,,just try what ya know ,, give it,, what ya got,,,as they say,,,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/26/2005 8:23:32 PM >

marcella
    b rock
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/26 20:16:56 (permalink)
    maybe ya could brew up ,,,a "dual burner" mix,,,,
    I'm about to reveal what is perhaps the most important secret that I've ever posted at the forum: the secret of a superb dual-burner mix. Constant vigililance is the key. Pack the stove-tops's baskets brimming, but not too packed, with Cafe Bustelo Select. Preheat two adjacent burners on high until red-hot. Place both pots on the burners simultaneously.

As the first few teaspoons of the brew begin to boil over into the chamber, snatch the pot and skim that into a prepared mugs with 3-4 teaspoons of sugar. Return the pot instantly to its home burner. Beat this mixture wildly with a spoon for about 30 seconds, or until a carmel frothy paste develops. Pour the remaining portion of the now-brewed pot over it, and serve immediately. Duplicate the procedure for a dual-burner "live mix".

Yoi have to have the craft of a skilled turntablist to attempt the perfect dual-burner mix, but I've become quite practiced at this manuever. I once pulled off a trifecta, but it was in an unofficial arena, and, as such, went unrecorded. Now, I dream of the elusive quad-burner ...

At first, I thought you meant .wav files. Are you looking towards a project file to make it easier for everyone to see how it was constructed? Hmm ... I'll have to compare files sizes, but how about track patches? I suppose that we'll have to come up with a name, just to direct participants and curiosity-seekers to the correct "hi-jacked" section of Project5.com.

As for the date, it's no good for me. I don't need yet another year where I get another kick for Valentine's Day ...
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/26 20:29:39 (permalink)
    thanks for the tutorial,,, how to create a "dual burner mix"

Are you looking towards a project file to make it easier for everyone to see how it was constructed?
    yea,,,,,

ya have to use "velocity dxi" or psyn,,, or ds -864-or n-pulse, etc, and any samples/ banks,, that came with them,,,,,, or (create your own in P5),,, then ya do what ya want ,,,,when ya want with them ,,,,, adding fx,, layering ,,,etc,,,

I suppose that we'll have to come up with a name, just to direct participants and curiosity-seekers to the correct "hi-jacked" section of Project5.com.

exactly,,, hey ,,,,everyone,,,,there's a "kick out' at the p5 forum,,,, or something ,,like that,, then next month ,, it's some other sound,,,, sometimes having a goal or a reason to accomplish something forces you to learn ,,, ya have no choice,,,,, that is ,,,if ya want to ,,,,,

As for the date, it's no good for me. I don't need yet another year where I get another kick for Valentine's Day ...

now,, you know,, i picked that date ,,,,just for you,,,, any other ideas?,,,

what if we have to make a "one' measure pattern,,,,,, the judging will be on the "sound' of the kick,, not the groove,,,,, this way all could see the different/interesting ways,,,, individual samples can be tweaked/ used,,,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/26/2005 10:14:50 PM >

marcella
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/26 23:52:07 (permalink)
    I'm in. When's the deadline, and how many kicks can a single person submit?

We could do kicks this week, snares the next one, and so on.

Once a winner is chosen, patch files should be uploaded, so we can all see how each sound was built. Whaddoyathink?

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    PaintedBlue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 00:21:51 (permalink)
    Sounds fun to me! But you still might want to consider wrapping the winner's mug in a Project5 T-Shirt when shipping it out (for safety, not because we are interested in the T-Shirt).
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 07:31:16 (permalink)
    you still might want to consider wrapping the winner's mug in a Project5 T-Shirt

now,,, that is a brilliant idea,,,, I almost gave up on the P5 t-shirt,,,, I thought maybe cakewalk would go for the mug,,,,

as for the "contest",,,, since,,, I ,,um,,um cough ,,,cough,, don't express myself that well,,,, along with my ,,,ummmm,,advanced typing ,,,,,skills,,,maybe,,, "B rock" could write up a set of rules or something ,,,,,

what ya say "B"?,,,,,

marcella
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 12:32:21 (permalink)
    OKay..im IN too! I think we should limit it to only ONE submission per user...just send your best.

And maybe we could do an actual complete 2 bar drum loop later! That way everyone could gain a dozen or so new loops for their stuff!

i agree, this P5.com didn't pan out the way Cake had hoped, because no one submits anything useful (exept Mojo, and a few others).

Are we in agreement? ONE SUBMISSION a kick? By when? what are the official contest entry rules Jardim?

edit: should be a KICK OFF! Not a Kick out! Unless the worst entry gets tossed out of the forum forever!![sm=rolleyes.gif]
    < Message edited by Digital Aura -- 1/27/2005 12:40:51 PM >
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 12:57:24 (permalink)
    edit: should be a KICK OFF!

splendid,,,,, thts what i was trying to say,,,,,,,,

the worst entry gets tossed out of the forum forever!!

would ya at ,least,, throw me a party,,,,,,,,,
    what are the official contest entry rules Jardim?

i vote for "B rock" to come up with a brilliant well outlined plan,,, and have you check it out ,,,,,to make sure everything is ok,,,,,,, ya know,,, liability wise,,,,,,then we all,,,agree to it and go for it,,,,,, and leave any remarks for "mikey,,,,,,,

we'll just have to wait for the ,,one and only,,, "B" ,,,to decide,,,,,,,,

marcella
    b rock
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 17:52:59 (permalink)
    i vote for "B rock" to come up with a brilliant well outlined plan ... "B rock" could write up a set of rules or something
    I'm on the spot again. This is unfair; you know that the only thing that I like about rules is breaking them. I've got a gig tonight; let me think about this one. I like the one submission idea at first glance. The only thing that immediately comes to mind is to let the "winner" select the category for the next "contest". I'm leaning towards suggesting a tight deadline, like one-a-week, and eventually cutting that down to daily (or, in my case, nightly). It'll show what 'cha got under pressure, and seems like it'd be more fun, like timed chess or the two-minute drill. But I'd hate to scare off any potential "contestants" with such a rigid timeline. Reaction to that comment?
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 18:02:17 (permalink)
    But I'd hate to scare off any potential "contestants" with such a rigid timeline. Reaction to that comment?

Well yer bloody well scared me. Now i'm a nervous wreck.
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 18:47:09 (permalink)
    Well yer bloody well scared me. Now i'm a nervous wreck.

it's ,,,ok,, blippp,,,, take deep breaths,,,,, does that mean your in ?,,,

cause,,,,jar do mar,,,is gonna" kick" ya right "out",,,

just figured I'd get a little ,,,adrenaline,,,, going here,,,,,, ya know,,,

It'll show what 'cha got under pressure, and seems like it'd be more fun, like timed chess or the two-minute drill. But I'd hate to scare off any potential "contestants" with such a rigid timeline. Reaction to that comment?

ok,,,sarge,,,you're in charge ,,,,,, we need something to follow ,,,,or not follow,,,no?,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/27/2005 7:07:36 PM >

marcella
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 18:57:02 (permalink)
    it's ,,,ok,, blippp,,,, take deep breaths,,,,, does that mean your in ?,,,

Yeh i'm in. Anything for a laugh.
    Digital Aura
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 19:18:46 (permalink)
    Okay...sounds good. B-Rock seems to have more time than most, so I also nominate him to put some rules together.

BTW, forget that idea about one a day (or a week for that matter!!) ...you know how I operate.
    I think you're trying to eliminate me b4 we even begin!
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 19:30:55 (permalink)
    Brock should be the judge I think... He has the most experience of all of us in creating sounds so that makes him able to determine who should win.

I would like P5 to be the release point but getting the sound there can come from any source... Its more open but it has to end up coming from a P5 instrument like the Sampler in P5 or Vsampler3... That could be the output source...

It would be possible to get a very rich cick having 4 synths playing at the same time all detuned from each other. That is an idea for a start anyway.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 19:45:02 (permalink)
    since most of the music i have been affiliated with does not rely on the kick for as don van vliet, aka captain beefheart put it the "moma heartbeat" and would probably not even rely on a timpani for such adventures in fact the last time my foot hit the kick drum while performing a free jazz piece was in 1981 that one hit was sweet i must admit. anyone point me to some examples (wav or mp3 file) as to what one should be creating for this friendly competition.
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/27 21:57:55 (permalink)
    Is someone actually going to give out prizes? Who would be doing to judging? Got to be somwhere to post them.
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 06:41:24 (permalink)
    BTW, forget that idea about one a day (or a week for that matter!!) ...you know how I operate.

Da,,, listen,,, it's a kick ,,one little sound ,,,,thats all ,, it's not beethoven's 5th ,,,,it;s a kick ,,,,don't worry about it ,,,,, oh,,,, DA,,, your a genius,,, you just gave me an idea,,,,,,

anyone point me to some examples (wav or mp3 file) as to what one should be creating for this friendly competition.
    now,, thats cheating ,,,really robert,,of all people,,,,, but

maybe ,,DA can help ya ,,,,are ya in? ,,, even "miles" used a kick occasionally,,,,

We could do kicks this week, snares the next one, and so on.

Once a winner is chosen, patch files should be uploaded, so we can all see how each sound was built. Whaddoyathink?

yea,,, thats the idea ,,,,

now if "B" would come up with a plan ,,,,, c'mon "B" we need guidance,,,,,

I think ,,patch or project files is da way to go,,,,

Is someone actually going to give out prizes?

yea ,,,,, well ,,, lets say ,,,,, maybe a cyber ,,,cruise ,,to florida,,, to visit "B",,, and ya get to explore his compound,,,,and share a cup of "cafe cubano",,,,with the one and only,,,,,,, (in your new cafe cubano mug),,,,oh,,, wrapped in a p5 t- shirt,
    Who would be doing to judging?

this is important ,,, I'm thinking nick haddard,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/28/2005 7:09:44 AM >

marcella
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 14:00:56 (permalink)
    I don't think there should be one judge. There should be some voting instead.

How about this procedure:

1) Someone sets up a Yahoo group dedicated to the P5 contests.

2) The group admin will assign ticket numbers to those who request them. Everyone will have a different ticker number but no one will know other members' numbers. This allows the group admin to participate in the contests as well.

3) Ticket numbers are obtained by emailing an entry to the admin. The admin will post the entry to the group's website (so it'll appear that every file was uploaded by the admin). Entries uploaded by anyone other than the admin will be deleted. Files will be renamed to something like kickXXX.wav, where XXX is the participant's ticket number.

4) When emailing your entries to the admin, make sure you specify something like "P5 Contest" in the email header (not "Hi" or "Win a Prize" or something like that). We don't want the admin to delete entries that look like spam.

5) When the deadline expires, the admin will set up a poll with all the entries in order for everyone to vote. It is our responsability to download and listen to all the entries (I believe we are all straight people here). Only the admin will know who's who.

6) After a few days, the poll will be closed and the winner will be anounced. The winner's prize consists in deciding what the next contest will be about, and of course, fame and fortune.

What you guys think? If you're up to it, I can set the Yahoo group this afternoon and you can start emailing me your entries in a few hours. I think we could take advantage of the weekend and make Monday the deadline. After Monday, no more entries will be accepted and the poll will be opened, and next Friday the poll will be closed, the winner revealed, and the next contest will start.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    rabeach
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 15:09:12 (permalink)
    having now researched this kick phenomenon i believe one method that of conjoining two or more divergent kick samples with respect to the attack of one and the decay of another will not be possible in p5. maybe this could be done in velocity with the sample edit controls but they seem so unrefined course and so unwieldy. if i understand our kicks must be made in p5 with standard p5 instruments and samples etc. so it would seem to come down to using psyn and knowledge of the synth's capabilities or using velocity npulse ds864 and a knowledgeable use of reverb and compression. my kick will be know as "the black potato" named after a blues band by the same name circa 90's gainesville, fl.
    Digital Aura
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 15:27:45 (permalink)
    I personally only use VELOCITY for my drum processing. I think I cheated by adding an acid loop to my Velocity layer once...but heaven forbid in a song!

Anyways, lets keep this to the forum and P5.com. Lets have them uploaded to the SOUNDS section (not songs) and I think voting should be by everyone on the forum in a separate thread.... who cares if it isnt anonymous!?
    rabeach
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 15:46:04 (permalink)
    so are we able to create our own sample or must we use the ones supplied with p5.
    ehernan7
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 16:06:11 (permalink)
    I know what a kick is, im not to sure what a kick off is. are we only using kicks and nothing else? no snare and stuff like that but other sounds are ok? Id like to do the contest but im kind of confused.
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 17:07:29 (permalink)
    Id like to do the contest but im kind of confused.

ya not the,,,only one,,,,

what ya have to create is a 'unique" kick drum sample,,,, you can create it any which way you wish,,,only using any .wav samples from the p5 disk,,,,, adding fx,,,,automation,,,or some creative manuver to "enhance" the "kick" sample,,,,or ,,,,bring to life,,, a "new" one,,,,,,

what's it gonna be ,,,patches or project files,,,,,, this way all could see how it was created ,,,,,,,,
    I believe we are all straight people here).

I'm still a little worried,,,,about ,,DA,,,,,

I don't think there should be one judge.
    good idea,,,,,,
    so are we able to create our own sample or must we use the ones supplied with p5.
    i think it should be all p5 ,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/28/2005 5:19:29 PM >

marcella
    ehernan7
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 17:19:00 (permalink)
    so we are going to tweak a kick till it sounds cool and thats it. so one thump and thats it. create a cool thump? or use it in a song?
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 17:26:05 (permalink)
    create a cool thump? or use it in a song?

we're still waiting for ,,, a final agreement from everyone,,,,, I;m thinking just,,, a one measure pattern,,,,,, ya know,,, keep the file size down,,,,

keep it short and sweet,,,, ,,, testing our skills with,,, the 'tools" that come with p5,,,,,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/28/2005 5:55:07 PM >

marcella
    b rock
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 18:00:15 (permalink)
    Got a chance to think about this today, Marcella, but not long enough to formulate some set of "rules". I think that it's better that we hear out what everyone has to say. I'll give some opinions of my own:

#1, I probably shouldn't be the judge, or even a judge. I'd have to disqualify myself, which is no big deal, because I would've submitted an entry anyway that was outside the judging process. But I don't think that I would be unbiased; instead, I would lean towards the most unusual, or innovative, rather than the best technical entry. Just trying to be honest ...

IMO track patches are the way to go. The file size is a good deal larger than patches would be, but that would allow for the most versatility and expandability for later contests. I think that a combination track patch/one measure pattern [track patchern?] would suffice, but the one measure limitatation may have to be expanded in the future [for example, a long string patch or filter sweep synth patch might need more space to fully develop.]. That way, you can have all of your automation, synth, and FX in one neat package, and zipped with the companion pattern (of the same name). This would be the easiest way for the "downloadee" to incorporate the entries into their system.

One thought on the pattern, though: A kick alone without the rest of the kit might sound awkward, but it's the better way to focus on a singular sound. The masking that occurs with other instruments/drum kit sounds would make the kick sound quality more difficult to ascertain. But then there's the argument of how well the kick would sit in a mix ... I don't have all the answers; I'm just throwing some things out for discussion.

At first, I thought that we could consider anything as a legal sound source, as long as the delivery method was in a final P5 form. But that opens up a gray area, where someone could enter a professionally recorded commercial sample, slap a gated reverb on it, and call it their own. We'd have to be on the honor system with that scenario. That way someone could record a trash can, mix 5 soft-synths, or build a kick from sine waves, and still be within the rules.

But I'm starting to like the "all P5/all the time" idea, because that makes the results the most accessible to all, and easily fulfills your original intent as a lesson in reverse-engineering. And I really wasn't trying to exclude DA with the one week/one day time limit (I got a real belly laugh when I realized how my reply appeared), but, with that in mind, all entries will have to be submitted within the same calendar year as the contest. <g>
    jardim do mar
    RE: It's a "kick" out,,,,,,, 2005/01/28 18:29:09 (permalink)
    I'm starting to like the "all P5/all the time" idea, because that makes the results the most accessible to all, and easily fulfills your original intent as a lesson in reverse-engineering.

exactly,,,

ok,, i'll throw this out,,,,or shall I say kick' it out,,,,,,,

for this contest only,,,,
    1- create a p5 patch,,and .ptn pattern
    2-it has to be a "bank"sample from the p5 disk,, from any synth "bank"
    3- you create a one measure drum beat,,,,,,
    4- you can do anything you want,,,, to the,,,,,,, so called "kick" sample/samples but,, the end result is "one sample being used,,,,,
    41/2- use,,, only,,, p5's effects
    5- how do we vote?.... ^&*(()(a809 my darn ,,,9(89 Qwerty anyone care to finish,,,,,,,, what if ,,at the deadline date,,, the post that is at the "top" wins,,,,,,

i could see everyone bumping up thier post,,,,,,, ,,, well,,,, this could end up being ,,, a physical event ,,,,,,,,

not ,,only are our "skills" tested ,,,but our honesty ,,,as well,,,,,,

I did like "fac's" idea,,,,,,,,,
    < Message edited by jardim do mar -- 1/28/2005 7:05:10 PM >

marcella
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1