What should Project5.com have?

Author
grandpa mojo
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 976
2005/02/22 16:56:18 (permalink)

What should Project5.com have?

Hey P5ers!

I heard a while back (via a thread here) that there was a "Project5.com survey questionaire" of sorts going around via email... Well, I didn't get it - so I didn't get to see what kind of questions were being asked... but I thought I'd start a thread here and ask you guys what you'd like to see improved at www.project5.com.** - Since I was part of the team that put up the original site - I'm kind of curious. - Also, since we weren't able to implement all the stuff we originally spec'ed for the site, I thought I'd start things off by offering up my own suggestions for improvements:

1) Replace the CPU intensive Flash banner with a lower CPU version
2) Regular update of content (duh!)
3) A search engine for the site
4) The ability to sort uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc. by author, date, size, etc.
5) Ability to search uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc.
6) Ability to comment on uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc.
7) Ability to sort uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc. by "votes"? (people vote on uploaded content - much like www.nativeinstruments.com Reaktor forum)
8) A P5 "radio station"? (plays P5 tunes by users)
9) More friendly upload area (increased size?)
10) Build your own "virtual P5 t-shirt" area?

- Grandpa Mojo
www.grandpamojo.com

**Note: This is simply for my own curiousity. Please do not assume that I am any position to improve or change www.project5.com.

8 Replies Related Threads

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/22 19:14:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: grandpa mojo

1) Replace the CPU intensive Flash banner with a lower CPU version yes!
    2) Regular update of content (duh!) yes! This would be #1 on my list
    3) A search engine for the site ok
    4) The ability to sort uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc. by author, date, size, etc. yes! A good idea!
    5) Ability to search uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc.
    6) Ability to comment on uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc.
    7) Ability to sort uploaded sounds, songs, patterns, etc. by "votes"? (people vote on uploaded content - much like www.nativeinstruments.com Reaktor forum) STRONG NO!! Then it would become a popularity contest. Wait...maybe thats good!
    8) A P5 "radio station"? (plays P5 tunes by users)
    9) More friendly upload area (increased size?) yes! yer onto something there.
    10) Build your own "virtual P5 t-shirt" area? In all seriousness, more contests would be great. Give people a reason to log on and to KEEP USING their P5. Its a sad shame that I have to look at Chauncey's mug everyday!!!

And that shirt that was won way back in March of 2004...that's really irritating me now!

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com

**Note: This is simply for my own curiousity. Please do not assume that I am any position to improve or change www.project5.com.
    post edited by Digital Aura - 2005/02/22 19:24:28
    dburns
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/23 06:53:17 (permalink)
    I don't see a need for #1. The page is fine. In fact, I'd like to see some music added to the logo script. Anybody messing around with P5 and audio is going to have a computer capable of playing a Flash intro, don't you think? :)

I don't care about contests, and rating songs is a low priority for me. I would like to see comments from others about the submissions though. The rest of the list looks good.

How much of a task would it be to have something like Fruity Loops Collab?

Are you doing this site for free? Frankly, I'd pay a small fee, $10/yr or so, if that would let you develop it more. Nobody should work for free.

Dave Burns
    Lowell, MA
    More equipment than skill.
    grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/23 10:25:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dburns

Are you doing this site for free? Frankly, I'd pay a small fee, $10/yr or so, if that would let you develop it more. Nobody should work for free.

dburns,

No... I didn't do this site for free. I set it up for Cakewalk back in it's beginning ( a year ago )... It was a short term contract and I moved on to other things... The site hasn't been updated for sometime - and I was just curious what changes people would want to see on the site. - I *believe* that the site is slated to be revived based on the questionaire that went out... so I was just getting people's ideas on it.

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/23 13:09:43 (permalink)
    I wrote we need better prizes for the contest based on talent. There was a contest that gave away a computer and stuff to some random person while the person with "couph couph" talent got a T-shirt. I'm not saying switch the contests, just give out T-shirts in both contests AND give better prizes for the contest that requires talent.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/23 20:16:18 (permalink)
    dburns... #1 in MoJo's list is not a problem for me either, but you need to realize that there is some VERY HEAVY cpu usage goin' on with that logo they have up top. There have been several posts about how much of a drain it has put on peoples rigs in the past....so he was just raising that issue again.
    I agree that its best to make it "viewer freindly" as much as possible.
    harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/24 07:02:51 (permalink)
    I would definately like to see more of your video tutorials. I would be willing to kick in a few bucks to help get that going. I get sick of reading manuals, sometimes, and it's just a nice way to learn the program.
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/24 09:34:59 (permalink)
    For Newbs like me, a video tutorial would be nice A new NEWB section !!!
    And easier setup instructions - not bare basic, but something more than beginner yet not quite intermediate ( yet)

Agree something to make me keep checking back, trying new things, and at the same time learning more

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: What should Project5.com have? 2005/02/25 13:42:05 (permalink)

placing this is in the proper thread

pod casting
    one hour of latest (or greatest) song submissions updated weekly by a fair and impartial single adminsitrator

that would be very cool imho

http://www.soundclick.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=76777&sid=c9ed2fec069f31657394ba173c456340

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1