PSYN II PSpec-ulation

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2005/03/30 18:22:31 (permalink)

PSYN II PSpec-ulation

Psyn II is mono *again*, which is dissapointing - excerpt from a post by agincourtdb
Yeah, Aggie, I was hoping for a little oscillator bussing myself. I guess that it makes sense for a virtual analog, but I could see some great possibilities open up with multiple outputs. [And I've be 'spoiled' by z3ta+.] I'm wondering if Rene has been tinkering under the hood, and has some more right-click surprises in store for us. Perhaps some additional Modulation Matrix choices are coming.

It's a little difficult to ascertain from a screenshot, but it appears that the "II" in PSYN II is referring to the effects section. Now that sounds interesting, but from first glance, I'm seeing three effects that are hard-wired to the output in a static series configuration. My excitment grew when I thought that I found a "Tune" control in the Delay section [pitch shifting in the feedback loop], but I'm afraid that the "shadow" from the control above it hides a "Tone" control [for high-frequency damping in a tape delay emulation]. I also didn't see any mention of a Tempo Sync capability.

I was wondering how everyone thought with regards to the new version. I can see resurrecting the PSYN-tology series for the 'new & improved' synth. I stopped it quite a while back: not for any particular reason; I just drifted away from it for a while. There's still a lot to explore in the synth, even at its present PSYN (I) state, and I'm curious as to whether anyone would find the continuation of the series useful to their workflow.

Also, how do you feel about the potential in the FX section? I know; it's all about the final 'sound', but how do you see yourself using the Drive, Delay and Mod sections? Can these FX be truly bypassed, thus saving some CPU cycles? Will this just be a convenience feature that saves you a step or two? Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

15 Replies Related Threads

ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 18:59:48 (permalink)
    I'm mainly a preset tweaker rather than a serious sound programmer. So psyn will be more useful to me if it comes with better sounding starting points (presets). I just haven't used it much because I don't like how a majority of the presets sound. Sorry I'm lazy, but I devote my learning time to other things. I have found the tutorials helpful for tweaking though. I'm sure there are lots of other more serious soundscapers around here.

eric

DelvarWorld
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 20:20:33 (permalink)
    IwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideos ... Cake are you there?
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 20:24:50 (permalink)
    IwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideosIwantdemovideos ... Cake are you there?

Maybe you'll get lucky and they will respond in "reel" time.

have a good one
    3Eo
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 20:28:57 (permalink)
    MMMMMMMMMultiTTTTTTTTimbrality.

I really shouldn't complain. I got the 1st wish on my list---Rewire host.

3rd was.......yep you guessed it, a definitely new P5 v2 spankin' t-shirt w/the smell t.

have a good one
    3Eo
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 20:41:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter

MMMMMMMMMultiTTTTTTTTimbrality.

I really shouldn't complain. I got the 1st wish on my list---Rewire host.

3rd was.......yep you guessed it, a definitely new P5 v2 spankin' t-shirt w/the smell t.

have a good one
    3Eo

There is going to be t-shirts?

Now that it's a re-wire host we are going to get dirty reason users mucking up this forum. Ewwwwe(did I spell that right?)

Stay on your side of the tracks Reasonbutts.
    post edited by triscuit - 2005/03/30 20:42:12
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 20:46:22 (permalink)
    Now that it's a re-wire host we are going to get dirty reason users mucking up this forum. Ewwwwe(did I spell that right?)

I personally am a Rebirth user and those propeller head forums are rough place. Worse than the Sonar forum in it's heyday.

have a good one
    3Eo
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/30 20:47:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: triscuit

Stay on your side of the tracks Reasonbutts.

LOL ... thats not very nice! [But I was thinking the same thing!]
    b rock
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 06:38:14 (permalink)
    This thing started out OK, and then quickly disintegrated into the usual mayhem. <g> Oh, well, I asked for it!:
    Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
    It is what it is. Believe it or not, there's even a question at the K-v-R rgc:audio forum regarding PSYN II. We might be finding ourselves in primetime soon. I guess that you have to be careful what you wish for. <g>

Now let's get back to the really important topic: the t-shirts ...
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 10:08:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock
    This thing started out OK, and then quickly disintegrated into the usual mayhem. <g>

I tried to be responsive to your thread. Unlike our colleagues, I thought about and then rejected wholeheartedly making a random, unsolicited reference to

T shirts

Oy, would ya stop with the t shirts already?

grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 10:20:39 (permalink)
    Now let's get back to the really important topic: the t-shirts ...

Is it wrong that I only sleep in mine?

BTW, for REALLY funky wear - check these guys out: www.digitalgravel.com

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 11:15:40 (permalink)
    Most synths are mono up to the amplifier stage, and then add some stereo effects. I'm pretty sure the fx in PSYN II will be stereo (the screencap shows a "ping" delay, which probably means "ping pong"), and they will certainly have good quality (ie.- z3ta+ fx quality). Chorus is probably stereo too.

However, I would really like to see panning as a modulation destination. C'mon, René, it shouldn't be hard to do at all ;) Panning can be already automated so it can surely be modulated.

I bet there will be a whole new set of presets taking advantage of the fx section. It would make PSYN-II sound much more competent (compared to some commercial synths).

I don't know about more PSYN tutorials, though. Not that I wouldn't appreciate them, but I think they should be more generic. I mean, tutorials about stuff you can do with most synthesizers, *including* PSYN(II). PSYN is pretty complete: it can do substractive, 4-partial additive, 2x2-operator FM, flexible filters, plenty of modulation sources (if not destinations). This means you can implement many synthesis techniques with PSYN, so maybe it would be best to focus on the techniques instead of focusing on the particular PSYN implementation.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 12:03:11 (permalink)
    Sorry but I don't think the new features will add that much more complication that I won't be able to figure it out by myself. I think you should do the series on the new sampler/synth thinger. Just my opinion.
    grandpa mojo
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 12:11:31 (permalink)
    I'm curious as to whether anyone would find the continuation of the series useful to their workflow.

B Rock,

You KNOW I'll always take a freebie! - but knowing you... I could see you *living* inside the new Dimension synth when VII hits...

Oh... and while you're at it... are you good with a soldering gun? - I've got an XLR cable that needs mending, a clip-on mic that needs a different connector, and a Digitech pedal that needs a switch fixed...

When can I come over?

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com
    b rock
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 19:26:24 (permalink)
    Ok, majority rules. It looks to me like we're going to kill off the PSYN-tology series. I reserve the right to fire one or two off for the effects section and any other additions/mysteries that pop up. Other than the occasional 'guest' appearance, (or a few exclusive ones for your purposes, Chris), we can stick a fork in this one.
    I tried to be responsive to your thread.
    Agreed, Eric. Your reply was the part that "started out OK". Your answer is also one of the ones that has me tilting towards concentrating on patch banks for distribultion. It's a bit foreign to my usual appraoch, but I can see the usefulness of taking a good preset, and customizing only those parts of it necessary to fit your own project. I'd like to throw together a few banks from scratch, rather than relying on the hundreds that I have built for specific projects. But one man's junk is another man's treasure, and I'd have to put some thought into what categories would be most useful in a general sense. Let's put it this way, though: I'm sure that there won't be many generic patches.
    they should be more generic. I mean, tutorials about stuff you can do with most synthesizers, *including* PSYN(II).
    Alfonso, my intent was just that, but coming from a slightly different direction. I was hoping that by explaining the processes using a known quantity that everyone here had access to (PSYN), that the knowledge would extend to a knack for programming any synth, as in "Yeah, this is like the Mod Matrix in PSYN, but with more destinations".

I agree that there should be some more well-rounded patch banks available, although I thought that Jesse's "F" bank was great. If you study those patches alone and reverse-engineer them, there's little need for any PSYN tutorial series. I do know that there's at least one great PSYN patch bank floating around, and I really hope that it makes it to PSYN II. Really classy, well thought-out stuff.
    I don't think the new features will add that much more complication that I won't be able to figure it out by myself. I think you should do the series on the new sampler/synth thinger.
    I thought that, too, Tristan, and I posted this thread to get a sense of exactly what you're telling me. And, thanks: that's one vote for a Dimension tutorial series [two, including mine].
    Is it wrong that I only sleep in mine?
    That's so wrong, Chris, on so many levels. That is, if the article in question is indeed genuine. After all, we only have seen a photo, and that appeared to be a National Enquirer mock-up. I have been meaning to call you, though. Re: some threads of particular interest, a few ideas, and some problems with the keys to my storage shed. But then things got busier (not unlike you with your gigs), and I never did the followup.
    I could see you *living* inside the new Dimension synth when VII hits
    One more vote, and yet another nickname for the coming version. Doesn't that make it Project7?
    are you good with a soldering gun? - I've got an XLR cable that needs mending, a clip-on mic that needs a different connector, and a Digitech pedal that needs a switch fixed...
    The best: I'm my own studio maintenance man. It's the only way to keep afloat and afford all the new toys. Is it a Digitech Whammy pedal? I've cannabilized a few of them to make a super-pitch shifter, so I've got a few spare parts lying around.
    When can I come over?
    Anytime that you're in the area, Chris. You just missed the Winter Music Conference; right up your musical alley. And bring that (alleged) t-shirt ...
    grandpa mojo
    RE: PSYN II PSpec-ulation 2005/03/31 22:51:18 (permalink)
    Laughing my frickin' ass off, B!

Cheers!

- Grandpa Mojo

www.grandpamojo.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1