Helpful Replyto find why doesn't stop at the project end

Author
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
2017/04/11 16:38:40 (permalink)

to find why doesn't stop at the project end

When will be the time when we all will be able to find for sure and easily the reason why the project doesn't stop at the project's end?
JCody
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/11 17:27:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2017/04/11 18:31:05
First make sure that under "options" in the track view you check, "Stop at Project's End". But occasionally I'll find that in tracks with envelopes, sometimes after doing edits and shortening the project, there will be left-over nodes that are hard to see if you put your focus back to the clips view. The project will play until you reach the last node. Sometimes in cases like that I let the project play and watch closely where it stops. Then I can more easily find the object that's causing the song to continue. But if the first thing I mentioned isn't checked, it won't stop anywhere. 
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/11 17:48:09 (permalink)
JCody
First make sure that under "options" in the track view you check, "Stop at Project's End". But occasionally I'll find that in tracks with envelopes, sometimes after doing edits and shortening the project, there will be left-over nodes that are hard to see if you put your focus back to the clips view. The project will play until you reach the last node. Sometimes in cases like that I let the project play and watch closely where it stops. Then I can more easily find the object that's causing the song to continue. But if the first thing I mentioned isn't checked, it won't stop anywhere. 

^^^ THIS ^^^
lapasoa
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/11 19:22:51 (permalink)
I wrote my thread assuming that Stop at the project's end is checked and that I didn't find anything after the last bar of the project (bar 127), the real end in this project instead is at bar 254!!! And I didn't find really anything in between, no envelope, no nodes, no midi, anything.
The real purpose of my thread is to launch the thousandth request of Sonar users  to solve this very old bug that seems not a priority for Cakewalk.
slyman
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/11 20:52:16 (permalink)
If you set Sonar to stop at the end of a project, it does. Period.
Every single time I had this happen in my projects, I was able to find some data/event/ghost() between both mesures.
The down side is that you have to look everywhere (and I mean everywhere) to find it. But it's there.

Sonar Platinum, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel 4770k, 16Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro, RME Babyface Pro, Roland A-Pro 800, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LesPaul/Taylor 214ce/Dean Cadillac/P-Bass
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/11 21:18:18 (permalink)
lapasoa
The real purpose of my thread is to launch the thousandth request of Sonar users  to solve this very old bug that seems not a priority for Cakewalk.

Besides your thread, the last thread I've seen with this problem was 2012.
Why not upload your project (no audio needed) and let one of us check it out. maybe there is something there you might be missing.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

The Grim
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 724
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/11 22:06:19 (permalink)
chuckebaby

that is simply not true and i think you know that, really disingenuous actually, a quick (very quick) search shows

http://forum.cakewalk.com...39stop39-m3483542.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com...Stopping-m3409611.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com...p-Solved-m3405480.aspx

all of which are much much more recent than your insinuation, plus there are all the comments about the problem/issue that get piggybacked on some older threads, and then there are those threads which may not turn up for your current search words/criteria. i believe you know and have read just as i have many times recently and in the not to distant past where this issue is raised, or perhaps you have been to busy changing your avatar for the 11teenth time every day and missed them

it is raised quite often and regularly, to try and portray that it is not . . . well

shame on you

whbmn-c
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 01:49:36 (permalink)
I have one song which never stops at the end, on the first play. But it will stop at the end on subsequent plays. Weird.
No other project I have does that. Even weirder.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 03:42:45 (permalink)
I sometimes check the event list when this happens (and it does, regularly, I just don't bother posting about it), is sometimes throws up that there is a rogue controller event somewhere. Doesn't always fix the issues.

And, more often than not, it happens on projects that have been shortened, even though I have checked that nothing at all, including automation, occurs after the project end.

It's a pity we don't have an option to stop playing at a particular marker... That would work.

But I'm not complaining, as such, just saying that the "problem" is still around, for some of us. Generally speaking, when I export a project to audio, all is okay.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 07:09:10 (permalink)
slyman
Every single time I had this happen in my projects, I was able to find some data/event/ghost() between both mesures.
The down side is that you have to look everywhere (and I mean everywhere) to find it. But it's there.

+1 for Slymans observation. I have had this mysterious problem on a few projects and it is always stray ghost data somewhere.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 15:22:31 (permalink)
slyman

I still have this problem on certain projects. I've searched everywhere I can think of -- event lists, automation lanes, etc. -- and can't find what's causing it. I've checked all the MIDI piano roll views to make sure there isn't a note that extends past the end. I've tried doing a "select all" and then selecting the region on the timeline between where the project should end and where it actually stops before pressing "delete". No luck.

To those of you who've been able to fix the problem, is there someplace else I should be looking? Thanks.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
tenfoot
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 16:30:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/04/12 16:33:45
henkejs
slyman

I still have this problem on certain projects. I've searched everywhere I can think of -- event lists, automation lanes, etc. -- and can't find what's causing it. I've checked all the MIDI piano roll views to make sure there isn't a note that extends past the end. I've tried doing a "select all" and then selecting the region on the timeline between where the project should end and where it actually stops before pressing "delete". No luck.

To those of you who've been able to fix the problem, is there someplace else I should be looking? Thanks.

When you use the timeline ruler to select the region after where the song should end, do you choose edit > delete> special and then choose everything in the delete dialogue, including automation, whether you have used it or not? Using the ordinary delete does not always work, but this method has every time for me. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 17:56:49 (permalink)
tenfoot
When you use the timeline ruler to select the region after where the song should end, do you choose edit > delete> special and then choose everything in the delete dialogue, including automation, whether you have used it or not? Using the ordinary delete does not always work, but this method has every time for me. 

Good point. I'll pay attention to this next time.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 18:13:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/04/12 19:51:20
The Grim
chuckebaby

that is simply not true and i think you know that, really disingenuous actually, a quick (very quick) search shows

http://forum.cakewalk.com...39stop39-m3483542.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com...Stopping-m3409611.aspx
http://forum.cakewalk.com...p-Solved-m3405480.aspx

Hey Grim,
Did you happen to notice a recurring theme with all these links you left ?

They are all solved and due to operator error. Much like the many others that pop up

The Grim
or perhaps you have been to busy changing your avatar for the 11teenth time every day and missed them

I haven't changed my avatar in over 4 years ....I have no idea what you are rambling on about.

The Grim
shame on you

You got that right.. Shame on me for not blocking you earlier.
Good luck.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 19:03:44 (permalink)
There are workarounds when this happens but a user shouldn't have to spend any time looking for ghost nodes etc.  If a project - for whatever reason - doesn't stop at the supposed end, you should be able to put in a stop project command simply and neatly.  Over years this problem can cause all kinds of wasted time, operator error or not.  It seems like a simple request, but maybe I'm wrong since it still ain't fixed.  A lot of new users get tripped up w/ this one.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 19:26:55 (permalink)
Far be-it from me to disagree with anyone, as I can neither confirm nor deny the issue at hand.

However, here's what happened to me today using SPALT 2016.12:

All areas after the magenta line were selected and deleted.
post edited by soens - 2017/04/12 21:32:43
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 19:31:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2017/04/12 19:56:20
When I want the project to stop playing or recording, I press the space bar or click on stop.

The main annoyance for the issue referred to by the OP is when doing an export, because you need to select a range in the timeline. It would save a few seconds if you could just Select All, and the timeline would automatically extend no further than a "this is really the end" marker.

It is true that ghost data, typically involving automation or controller data, causes the problem. You can generate ghost data if you let recording continue past where you want the project to stop, because SONAR doesn't know whether you're recording something intentionally or not. 

Most of the time Delete Special, selecting all options, and selecting the timeline region past the "real" end point takes care of things, but not always. I'm not sure what renders this ineffective (I don't have this problem often enough to chase down the issue). However one possibility is a hidden track that extends past the expected point.

A "this is really the end" marker would be convenient, but at least for me it's not a showstopper to Select All and drag across the timeline to define the area I want exported. It's easier than opening up the automation lanes and deleting the rogue node.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
synkrotron
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5263
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 20:02:36 (permalink)
True, not a show stopper, and it is rare that this happens. Sometimes simply closing a project and re-opening it fixes the issue.

Of all the projects I have worked on over the last twelve months or so, around forty or so, only one rendered out at twenty minutes, when it was only a ten minute piece. I just let it render, had a cup of tea, and then opened the WAV in SF to trim to length.

I realise that I could have set a region, but I never do, normally, and it is only after you render a project that you realise you have a "problem."

Stop marker though? Yeah, I'd vote for that, just for the convenience. Although, as Craig says, a quick tap of the space bar does the trick

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 20:14:09 (permalink)
The whole point of having it stop at the end is so you don't have to stop whatever else you're doing to manually stop the play routine where it should stop. BTW, how many of you can hit the spacebar precisely at project end?!

Stopping a few measure beyond the end normally won't matter. It's when it keeps going never stopping that something is really wrong.
lapasoa
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 21:10:05 (permalink)
After doing control + A and selecting the space from the supposed project's end until the real project's end, I tried Delete special checking all the objets to remove, but Delete special didn't work meaning that nothing at all was in that space.
So I decided to use a workaround: I've chosen a previous version of the same project verifying that in this version "stop at the project's end" was OK.
I added some tracks from the very last version and verifyed if the project's end should still be OK. Yeah super OK.
This means that the project that made me crazy had a bug. Misterious bug, but a real bug.
tenfoot
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/12 22:57:33 (permalink)
Anderton
When I want the project to stop playing or recording, I press the space bar or click on stop.

It is more of an issue when using an enabled playlist for live performance. That said in 25 years I am yet to encounter a project that delete special did not fix.

Bruce.

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: to find why doesn't stop at the project end 2017/04/13 06:03:38 (permalink)
I get this problem a lot. It seems to occur whenever I have had some clips temporarily positioned beyond the end of then project and have subsequently deleted them. After deleting, the project end should re-adjust. Sometimes it does but usually it doesn't.

I have several projects that end a few bars further on past the desired end point. But I have double checked every track and bus for automation or anything else beyond the project end and found nothing. Either there is still something invisible still remaining or otherwise maybe there is possibly a bug in Sonar preventing re-adjustment of the project end. I suspect the latter.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1