Helpful Replywhy did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 00:19:40 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
While the iPAD is nice for running remote software, remote-recording, some soft-synths (albeit limited in capability),

Waldorf's Nave is well worth looking at and not exactly limited. Way cheaper than the plugin version as well. Same with some of the Korg and Arturia stuff, and iVCS3, perhaps the best emulator of the VCS runs on an iPad. Unfortunately they emulated the VCS's strangeness along with everything else, but I guess if it was easy to play a scale on it it wouldn't be a VCE emulator. Moog's modular 15 app is also pretty good even if actively user hostile.

Jim Roseberry
etc... having to use iTunes to simply move data is **royal bass-akwards**  

It kind of makes sense if you're maintaining shared iTunes libraries - within the multi-user license restrictions imposed by media providers and creators - and maybe other data across a home (or other) LAN/VPN. Then when you throw the Apple TV into the mix it means all the Apple stuff is sharing from the same, predictable media server.

I guess it also means Apple can have some certainty about what iOS and apps were going to be interacting with and it helps provide support if even the most deterninedly awkward and clue-free user will be sitting baffled in front of iTunes, not any number of possible applications.

And it means every computer with iTunes installed gets lots of opportunities to but from the iTunes shop of course. Though Windows seems intent on taking that business model to new and further places with Amazon running along behind as fast as they can.

In the end, it is what it is. iTune's a decent enough media player and only has to be beaten into submission with a sock full of lead shot the once.

Some data can be got off an iPad into Windows by drag and drop without iTunes, if I remember correctly you have to tell iTunes to tell the iPad/phone to act as data storage device in Windows, though my memory may be faulty, it's been a while.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 00:44:43 (permalink)
tlw
Apple does not force upgrades. My wife has an iphone supplied by her employer (UK civil service) which has government level security. Which in turn requires a specially built version of iOS because attempting to install "normal"iOS from the App Store makes the security package on the phone go into "under attack - block it, scramble the data, open the secret hollow tooth and bite hard on the cyanide pill" mode

Automatic upload downloads are blocked by going to Settings/iTunes & App Store and switching the slide for automatic update downloads to "off". Updates aren't forced via iTunes either. You can block automatic updates of any app in the same way.

That only applies to automatic app upgrades. OS upgrades are indeed forced on you - if you try to tell it "not now" when the upgrade window pops up, it just incessantly inags you at every inopportune moment until you are forced to either do the upgrade or want the smash the thing. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 02:22:37 (permalink)
Always been an Apple hater.  IOS just irritates me - it is just too "dumbed down" for me.  The upside of IOS for music creation is that there are quite a few apps.

I have an Android tablet and love it.  Of course, my Surface Pro is now my "go to" device.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 09:23:44 (permalink)
Each one has it's place. Depends on what hardware your using it with and what apps you wanna run since many only run on one or the other. Apple prods work best together. Android probably works better with Windows.
fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 13:36:08 (permalink)
tlw
drewfx1
And if anyone can tell me how to install some old 32 bit Windows stuff, mostly games, on a modern 64 bit PC that can't run their 16 bit installers I'd genuinely be grateful.

See if gog.com has the games of interest. On sale most of them are less than $5. Also, DOSBOX works very well for lots of old games. Google "How to get xxx working on Win10" and you may find lots of help there, too.
filtersweep
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 17:26:44 (permalink)
Wife and kids all use iphone, imac and (much less frequently now) ipads. I am the outlier. Windows desktop and laptop, Android (Samsung) phone and tablet. As opposed to the rest of my family, I use my tablet A LOT. I really like the Android implementation on Samsung devices. Having a soft button on either side of the home button makes navigation within and among apps much easier than on the iphone in my opinion.  I find file management is much more "windows like" and flexible  on Android than on iOS devices which I see as a big advantage but not everyone would agree. Windows PC , tablet and phone is a totally integrated solution but , in all honesty, I am not sure I have ever even seen a Windows in the wild. All that said, I think the most important thing with a tablet is to match it to your phone. If you have an iphone, get an ipad. Have a Samsung phone, get a Samsung tablet. Not sure if this logic applies to other Android phones since it seems Samsung is the only Android device with a substantial presence in both phone and tablet markets. Google phone may change that but so far doesnt seem to have much market penetration.

Brian

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/22 22:09:23 (permalink)
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

In regards to the "apple tax", I've discovered that it really ain't so, at least with the tablets anyhow.
An iPad is $329. Something close (32 gigs) from Samsung is $349. There are some at 16gig but they sort of seemed like toys. 

Now, a Samsung can use an SD card but, as far as I understand, you can't really dictate what uses the SD card. Yes for photos, Mp3s and 'your' data. But everything else gets shoved on the main drive. Which I guess makes sense. But, my phone is 16 gigs and it's almost full with nothing really on it. 

I'm leaning towards the iPad now. Main reason that keeps me away from an iPad is maybe stupid but, the proprietary nature of the charging cable just bugs the **** out of me:) I do hate iTunes and have never authorized it on my MacBook. I guess, just get used to it?

Also, I don't get the, "if you have android phone get android tablet" and vica versa for Mac. I don't think I'd ever need a phone and tablet talking. The mothership is the Mac laptop and studio PCs. But more Google than anything. 

Anyway, just babbling..
Thanks

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/23 17:00:48 (permalink)
timidi
Also, I don't get the, "if you have android phone get android tablet" and vica versa for Mac. I don't think I'd ever need a phone and tablet talking. The mothership is the Mac laptop and studio PCs. But more Google than anything. 

For me there are two reasons, and I'm talking about iphone/ipad not Mac. First, it's the same UI, same settings, same almost everything. Second, many if not most apps can run on both platforms, so the tuner app and oscilloscope app and calculator app and lots of others I originally bought for the iphone I can run on the ipad without having to buy them again.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
timidi
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/23 19:07:36 (permalink)
drewfx1

For me there are two reasons, and I'm talking about iphone/ipad not Mac. First, it's the same UI, same settings, same almost everything. Second, many if not most apps can run on both platforms, so the tuner app and oscilloscope app and calculator app and lots of others I originally bought for the iphone I can run on the ipad without having to buy them again.

Gotcha Drew. Thanks

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/25 06:24:41 (permalink)
iPad is basically an iPhone without the phone.

As far as the cord goes, you can get an off brand cord that has an adapter so it's good for both.

timidi
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/25 23:01:46 (permalink)
Thanks Soens. Ingenuity at it's finest:)

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/26 02:50:13 (permalink)
Awhile back I loaded a bunch of music apps on my iPad and iPhone. Actually They share the same apps through iCloud. I pay a small amount to have more storage in iCloud because my devices were filling up. One good reason to buy as much memory as you can when buying an apple device.

I played with all that stuff for awhile and the whole thing ran out of steam for me. I didn't really have any practical use for music apps on small devices. Sure , it was cool to make music and record with my phone. Play synths and use guitar simms. In the end though, I followed the path of least resistance and went back to a big screen and easier to use tools.

The only thing left now is my iPad which I love for basically reading and web searching. I replaced a cracked screen on my iPhone and when it cracked again I decided I would try an android phone. So I have all of these apps hanging in the could I doubt I'll use. Kind of a waste really.

If you go with android devices google gets you connected between devices and accounts the same way Apple connects you through their setup. In fact Google might do a better job of that.

My android device isn't lacking in anything, doesn't seem the least bit clunky. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/26 18:29:25 (permalink)
I got an iPad, because I wanted it. Just that simple.
Would I go the same route again?
I have no idea 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/26 20:38:39 (permalink)
An iPad dock really changes things and makes it more professional to use in a studio environment.  Alesis and Focusrite make them.  I picked up a second hand one on eBay.  For a third of the original price, making it attractive.  It is not something that one would normally think about.  It gives you access to Midi and audio IN/OUT via external connectors.  The internal D/A in the iPad is bypassed and that is provided for in the dock.  So when Focusrite is handling that job, it is a different sound.  The iPad is charged of course in the dock too. 

I started using it as a synth and it performs very nicely in that area.  Delivering a big quality sound to my synth mixer along with everything else.  A +4 dBu signal mostly and very quiet, on balanced outputs.  It also runs those great remote control apps like the one for Studio One.  And it works great.  Especially for me playing in drum parts and taking control of my studio in another room.  It can mount next to me.

Some synths like iOS Synthmaster for example offer large dual X/Y pads and I have become custom to using them.  I found once I got into this I could not go back.  It is very cool to play.  It responds super fast as well.  The trick is to put the iPad and its dock onto a nice stand angled up further.  It sits on my main table and all I have to do is slide it out to play it.  It is the perfect size for being stored away out of sight or pulled forward and used as a controller or synth.  Your moves can recorded, edited and played back.  The pads send midi to the rest of my system via the midi outs.  I have found editing synth sounds also rather quick and easy using the iPad.  Korg MS20 and Polysix are very nice to edit their patches etc.. The whole touch thing here works very nicely.  I have got into editing say an MS20 patch like I did when I owned it.  It encourages you to experiment.  The iPad feels the same.  The GUI's are nice and so sharp and detailed.  You can zoom right into controls on many synth apps.  The whole image looks nicer to me.  Some synth apps look much nicer than their Windows counterparts.  (MS20 is a serious floor shaker and Polysix sounds so close it is almost majestic. Synthmaster sounds ridiculous and now I have added PPG Infinite which is one of the nicest sounding instruments I own in my whole setup!)

You can surf the net too and any music you may be listening too is coming out sounding rather spectacular to say the least.  (For music production tutorials this is a must!) It is great having it close to your main machine's screen as well.  And if that is an iMac (as I have Studio One installed and running on two computers), then it is even more powerful. It is also handy to have around as you can run any tutorials or leaning tools on the iPad, hear it all in high fidelity but have your main machine totally free to follow what is going on. 

There are new apps now too like a recent one that turns the iPad into a super keyboard command controller and overall control surface for a host of DAW's including mine.  In my case it can sit directly above my QWERTY keyboard and next to a Presonus Faderport which is also an amazing tool to have in close proximity to the iPad. 

Out and away from the studio all I have to do is add a small keyboard, phones, a mic and you can record direct to DI inputs too. It's a full blown studio outside on location.  I take this away on holidays sometimes at the ready just in case I get an idea.  The dock can be powered from a solar panel too and it will power the mentioned devices and run for hours.  You can plug in two mics or a stereo mic capturing quality sound effects atmospheric and foley like sounds too.  Far easier too use and see than a tiny Zoom for example.  Have they ever made a pro audio dock for a Windows tablet?

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/27 09:26:12 (permalink)
I forgot.
I've used my iPad as a Control Surface when using my laptop, via rtpMIDI and AC-7 core HD.
Really useful 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/29 01:33:14 (permalink)
I really wanted Garage Band so I paid $400 and got an iPad with it.  That is the most I ever paid for a DAW.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
timidi
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/03 20:35:59 (permalink)
So, I've had the iPad ($329) a few days and just got a Samsung galaxy s2 ($349).  I'll return one in a few days.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-latest-model-with-wifi-32gb-space-gray/4907703.p?skuId=4907703
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Black-SM-T813NZKEXAR/dp/B01DXVKHH8

screen res on the iPad does seem a bit better.
don't really like that I don't have any control over my stuff with the ipad. However, I'm starting to realize that the whole tablet thing is just sort of a novelty that may be fun here and there but...

One biggie that I just learned is that the samsung will not charge via USB (computer or car). It has to be plugged in (to the wall).
iPad seems capable of this.

I'll try some netflix-ing later on.

So far, both seem adequate. iPad is a little flashier however cumbersome in it's complexity.
The samsung is more, Duh that's easy.. The Samsung was $20 more (on sale).

Learned about bluetooth tethering today (for internet sharing) which I don't think the iPad will do with my android phone. works great with the samsung tablet. It appears (from web reading) that bluetooth tethering is better than normal hot spotting? Don't really know though.

Comparison continues.
post edited by timidi - 2017/09/03 22:03:45

michaelhanson
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/03 23:51:06 (permalink)
I'm a PC guy, but I love my iPhone and iPad.  I used Android for years, but when I finally gave in and bought a iPhone, there was no going back.  

I use the iPad and an iKlip while playing live;  to display the Chord/ Lyric sheets.  There are several apps out there that give you this ability; infact IK has one of those apps.  We use Planning Center and it works seamlessly.  

I have done a little recording with the iPad, using Garage Band.  It seems to be OK for doing a scratch demo.  I use it a lot for lyric writing.  Through the Cloud, Notes, connects with my iPhone, so if I quickly type in lyrics, it automatically changes what is on my iPad as well.  

There also are tons of apps for music.  Rhyming apps, guitar chord apps, tuners, Amplitube, just to name a few.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
michaelhanson
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/03 23:56:09 (permalink)
timidi

Learned about bluetooth tethering today (for internet sharing) which I don't think the iPad will do with my android phone. works great with the samsung tablet. It appears (from web reading) that bluetooth tethering is better than normal hot spotting? Don't really know though.

Comparison continues.

I tether my iPad from my iPhone all of the time.  It works great and yes, better than hot spot and wifi connections, most of the time.  I believe that it is also safer to tether, when out and about.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
samson7842
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/04 00:21:21 (permalink)
I love the iPad for on the go music making. So simple and intuitive. Admittedly, I haven't used it much because I've been mostly tethered to my apartment because of an injury. So, I just use my Sonar rig. But, it's great as a portable songwriting tool. Which is exactly why I bought it.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3
Edirol PCR 500
Roland A-300 Pro 
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Virtual Guitarist Silk
Virtual Guitarist Amber
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Steinberg UR22
Waves Gold
Melodyne 4 Studio
Various other fiddly bits
Starise
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/05 18:50:08 (permalink)
timidi
So, I've had the iPad ($329) a few days and just got a Samsung galaxy s2 ($349).  I'll return one in a few days.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-latest-model-with-wifi-32gb-space-gray/4907703.p?skuId=4907703
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-Black-SM-T813NZKEXAR/dp/B01DXVKHH8

screen res on the iPad does seem a bit better.
don't really like that I don't have any control over my stuff with the ipad. However, I'm starting to realize that the whole tablet thing is just sort of a novelty that may be fun here and there but...

One biggie that I just learned is that the samsung will not charge via USB (computer or car). It has to be plugged in (to the wall).
iPad seems capable of this.

I'll try some netflix-ing later on.

So far, both seem adequate. iPad is a little flashier however cumbersome in it's complexity.
The samsung is more, Duh that's easy.. The Samsung was $20 more (on sale).

Comparison continues.

Clever to try both! That little SD slot in your Samsung? That means you'll never run out of memory. The iPad doesn't have it. For me, this is a deal breaker. I am surprised you don't have a usb charger for the Samsung. FWIW I've seen portable users buy those inexpensive 12volt inverters for use in cars or campers. 

IK jumped on the Android bandwagon a long time ago as did many others who realized that there are many people buying apps who have android as well.

The music app market is by no means cornered by Apple. 

It might sound like I'm all for Android. I'm leaning in that direction lately. I love my new moto G5+ phone which I bought unlocked for a 3rd of the cost of a new Apple and it does everything my iPhone did and IT has a memory slot.

I never wanted to be involved with two online hubs which has little to do with music. I had to either pick Apple with Safari and all of that connectedness or Google and what they offer which seems more extensive at connecting all of my devices and keeping everything in check, for me, at least.

If you retire an iPhone, you won't loose your apps. Remove the simm card and you basically have a small iPad. It still gets wifi etc. 

It's a tough call, but don't let the "Apple rules" people bend your ears too much because Android rocks too.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

timidi
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/05 22:14:38 (permalink)
Yea Tim, the android has a usb charger that plugs into the wall. What I meant was that you can’t charge it via USB from your computer or car. Maybe with that 12v thing you referred to, it would work.

Yes, the SD slot is an advantage. At this point though, I think I’d outgrow the tablet before I filled 32 gigs. But, as I said (I think) I got my first smart phone a couple months ago so it’s all new to me..;)

Good to know about IK (even though I swore I’d never buy another of their products:). Honestly, at this point, I have no interest to use a tablet for anything “music” other than maybe listening to MP3s.

And yes, I do tend to like the google system better than the apple system. Apple Maps is archaic.

Both tablets have pluses and minuses. But, their pretty much the same once you get open whatever app you’re using.

I did some netflix comparisons and it was pretty hard to tell any difference in video quality.

I used to think The little soft switch buttons on the android were a plus but now they are just starting to get in the way as I’m always hitting them:) But, then again, It makes getting around easier than the ipad. I would also think that the ipad ‘home’ button would be prone to breakage quickly.

I gotta return one tomorrow as I’m in the crosshairs of Irma and I gotta get outa this place.
The Apple store is closest…………..:)

Starise
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/09/06 14:14:19 (permalink)

May the best one win.

Twitter @Rodein

Ranskert
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/01/05 03:12:54 (permalink)
It is hard to say , i have two phone , one iPhone for my work , and one Android phone for my life ,and If it's from a mobile device , i like the Android phone , TBH, Android has a complete set of devices and simple and easy to operate,I usually have some entertainment in my life which is arranged by my cell phone ,On the other hand, I work with the iPhonem,This is probably the only advantage of apple, and many people show that the iPhone is too closed in some way.A lot of companies focus on this,Because the iPhone is very comprehensive in terms of data management ,
Ranskert
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/01/05 03:12:56 (permalink)
It is hard to say , i have two phone , one iPhone for my work , and one Android phone for my life ,and If it's from a mobile device , i like the Android phone , TBH, Android has a complete set of devices and simple and easy to operate,I usually have some entertainment in my life which is arranged by my cell phone ,On the other hand, I work with the iPhonem,This is probably the only advantage of apple, and many people show that the iPhone is too closed in some way.A lot of companies focus on this,Because the iPhone is very comprehensive in terms of data management ,
PH68
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/01/09 18:10:30 (permalink)
I have a classic 160GB iPod... that's it for Apple stuff.
It gets used in the car.

Had an android tablet for a while, but it wasn't for me. I found that it (like an iPad) is really just an over-sized phone that you can't actually use as a phone.
There's no need to have an iPad/Tablet any more.

I just run everything from a MS Surface, and use Android for my phone.
I've never had any issues with my Surface running Sonar, Ableton, Arturia synths, and full versions of Adobe CC and MS Office.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/01/20 20:32:55 (permalink)
As you can see from my photo, I use an iPad for music performance, etc., and also do some charts on it using Notion software, etc. Cubasis is great for live performance, as you can use pre=recorded tracks to augment your live playing. And Cuabasis allows you to import your music tracks if you save them on your computer, then use a wireless server to put them into the iPad in Cubasis (Cubase without a computer). I also use it for my lyric sheets, etc., and it's now an indispensable part of my studio and live rig. Well worth the premium price (I have the iPad Pro) if you get plenty of storage. 

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

Racery
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/02/02 09:27:53 (permalink)
iPad VS Android , i will choose the Android device as apple recently decided to stop making iPhone x .I don't know how the iPad /iPhone will change in the future. At least, android is getting better.Especially in data management and data recovery .
post edited by Racery - 2018/02/28 09:29:42
Alison777
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/02/17 17:50:27 (permalink)
I've always used PC. But recently I've started thinking about buying tablet. Unfortunately, I'm clueless about them, so I'm glad that I've found this thread. Thanks for sharing your expereience, guys!
samson7842
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2018/02/26 03:28:17 (permalink)
This guy made a whole song, vocals and all, using just his iPhone and guitar. The video should give you an idea of just how powerful a mobile DAW an iPhone or iPad can be.
https://youtu.be/z0Ytf_9ZqKY

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3