Helpful Replywhy did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
2017/08/19 19:59:40 (permalink)

why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ?

Curious what you guys think, as I need to get a pad. 
The only thing I know that I don't like is the proprietary nature of Apple. I do like their products though. Have a MacBook, PCs and cheap Android phone. I also noticed that iPads don't come with mini USB power like the rest of the world. So, another friggin cord..

Anyway. Samsung (10") or iPad (9.7") ?

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 05:39:30 (permalink)
It depends upon what you want to use it for.  Ipads are pretty cool for creation.  Tons of apps, esp. music apps.  But, I hate Apple (mostly for iTunes and demanding I change passwords once a week).  They also force you to buy new connectors ever couple of year, as you have noticed.  Besides, my wife already stole both pads I bought.  She likes them a lot more than I do so it ain't worth the fight and she keeps changing my apple account password then can't remember it. Even with all that, I'm thinking about getting the new large ipad pro for music and keeping it under lock and key. 

I bought a Samsung 12 inch tablet a few years ago w/ a nice chicklet built-in keyboard.  It is slow and stupid, but for writing and internet and mail it is perfect.  The atom processor won't handle SONAR or even music, but it comes with a full complement of slots and USB.  If I did want to play music I could at least put it on via USB, instead of loading it in via iTunes wireless.

And even 12.9 inches is small for some tasks - a stylus is needed. Get the biggest screen you can. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 10:47:38 (permalink)
I went the iPad route when I got one (its an old iPad).  I had an iPhone as one app that I wanted was only offered for the iPhone (Peterson strobe tuner).  More audio apps seem to be IOS.  My wife bought an Android tablet from QVC.  I'm not impressed with it at all compared to the iPad.  Different apps, update procedure seems clunky, etc.

However, I'm not an Apple PC fan.  Can't see paying 3 times as much for the same hardware.   

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
rivers88
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 11:47:11 (permalink)
FWIW, iPad -
TONS of music-oriented apps AND hardware available that are made for or work with iOS devices.
Many of the iOS synths and FX can compete with some of the better VST plugins available for the desktop.
Updates are generally VERY easy to install on iOS devices, which is a big plus!

Apple's switch to the Lightning connector has been in the field for several years now, and it's established and capable enough that I don't see it going away anytime soon. I use all kinds of portable device in the field that require USB connectivity, and I can say with certainty that Apple's Lightning connector is MUCH more robust than the typical mini or micro USB connectors (especially the "jack" side, which is of course the most difficult to repair or replace).

I've been a Microsoft OS user (professionally and personally) since DOS days, and it's very doubtful that I will ever switch to a Mac for my primary computer. For portable devices, however, I've fully embraced the capabilities and convenience of iOS devices, and have never been tempted to jump ship for Android-based hardware : )
post edited by rivers88 - 2017/08/20 13:17:25
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 13:01:52 (permalink)
I went iPad to use for small remote recording gigs. Works fine for that. Also, the apps available for digital mixers, which I need in my line of work. Now that I've had one for a while, I like it.

Dave
Songs

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 13:36:47 (permalink)
It's looking like iPads in the lead.

I guess I should have mentioned that my main need/want right now is for maps, internet, netflix, travel.
Sorry I didn't mention that.
I hadn't even thought about music apps. go figure:) 
Thanks again.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 14:01:39 (permalink)
Once you have owned and use it for a while you will never go back.  For all the things you mentioned they are great. Once you have also been using an iPad for a while you realise how clunky and simply ridiculous any Windows tablet actually is in comparison. 

If you have Apple TV you can call up stuff on your iPad and simply direct it to Apple TV and stream anything from the iPad to Apple TV and hence your TV screen and audio. I do this all the time. 

Also if you invest in a dock you can dock the iPad and use it as an instrument. Feeding Midi In and Out and Audio IN/OUT as well. The converters in a dock are much nicer than any built in iPad converters as well. I am running 4 synths on mine very well might I add and it sounds sensational. Just got PPG Infinite for it too. Only on iOS at the moment.  One very serious sounding instrument. 

There are some great remote apps. Studio One has a free one which controls either a Windows or Mac computer running Studio One.

Check this out too:

https://www.synth-expert.com/news-blog/2017/8/16/metagrid-turns-your-ipad-into-a-powerful-custom-daw-and-software-controller

This only runs on iOS as well. This is one very cool app. 

You can also get some very classy X/Y pad controller apps to for iOS and use them to talk to either a Windows or Mac machine.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 17:21:46 (permalink)
I've never been an apple fan, but I did get an iPad. I just use it to read the news and books, none of my audio IFs work with it. Using it to read books there's no need for a cord, the battery life is pretty good. It's great for international travel - I have a library with me, but it takes up very little space in my backpack and I have wi-fi access.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 17:29:22 (permalink)
timidi

I guess I should have mentioned that my main need/want right now is for maps, internet, netflix, travel.

If that is all you need, then Android will do the job, for less money.  Android is perfect for general computing, internet, etc.  I have a 5 year old Toshiba 10" that plays Netflix just fine over a wifi connection.  So I mostly just use it for Netflix, or my Amazon Kindle ebooks, or to play my MP3 collection.  Once connected to wifi, all the connected apps work fine.

But if you want to access the large number of music apps for iOS, the iPad would be the way to go.  It seems that is where all the music app development is being focused.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 22:22:44 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Once you have owned and use it for a while you will never go back.  For all the things you mentioned they are great. Once you have also been using an iPad for a while you realise how clunky and simply ridiculous any Windows tablet actually is in comparison. 

If you have Apple TV you can call up stuff on your iPad and simply direct it to Apple TV and stream anything from the iPad to Apple TV and hence your TV screen and audio. I do this all the time. 

Also if you invest in a dock you can dock the iPad and use it as an instrument. Feeding Midi In and Out and Audio IN/OUT as well. The converters in a dock are much nicer than any built in iPad converters as well. I am running 4 synths on mine very well might I add and it sounds sensational. Just got PPG Infinite for it too. Only on iOS at the moment.  One very serious sounding instrument. 

There are some great remote apps. Studio One has a free one which controls either a Windows or Mac computer running Studio One.

Check this out too:

https://www.synth-expert.com/news-blog/2017/8/16/metagrid-turns-your-ipad-into-a-powerful-custom-daw-and-software-controller

This only runs on iOS as well. This is one very cool app. 

You can also get some very classy X/Y pad controller apps to for iOS and use them to talk to either a Windows or Mac machine.

Thanks for pointing out the metagrid app. Nice.

The studio one app is one of my favorite things about that daw. Really want Sonar to adapt an app like that...

Dave
Songs

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 22:40:50 (permalink)
iPad - smooth running, just gets on with it. Good, easy to use operating system. OS updates direct from Apple so no worries about obtaining them - some android users with phone contracts don't get updates to the OS because the phone company won't supply them.

Huge range of apps, some very good, many absolute rubbish but that't the same for all tablet OSs. One advantage of the Apple Store approach, where you can only install apps from there, is that it makes it much harder for the malicious to distribute malware.

Also integrates very well indeed with Macs (at last). We use Macs as the only computers now (tried Win10 and hated it), if you're going to be using Windows you'll lose some functionality but I don't know if Windows tablets can work with PCs in the same kind of way.

The hardware is very resiliant, I've given an original iPad Air a huge amount of use since I bought it when they first came out and it's still going strong. I recently got a 9,3" Pro and for most people's computer usage I suspect it would suffice on its own. Noticably quicker than the Air mk 1 as well. Retina screens are superb displays as well. The Apple pencil thing is expensive, but if you're into photography or artwork is really usefull. Add a third party app and it turns the iPad into a very serious graphics tablet.

Downsides. iTunes is necessary, but it's nothing like as bad as many say. Behaves itself well on the whole and isn't a bad media player at all. You don't even strictly speaking need it, but it's useful for local backups of the iPad and getting media and data on and off the iPad. Just make sure the first thing you do with iTunes is go into the preferences and ensure it's not busily moving all your media files, including recordings, to its own library. :-/

Once in a while iPads get confused, a hard reboot, or if that doesn't restore sanity returning them to original factory settings and reloading your stuff is simple, so long as you have a backup.

Siri. Probably better than Cortana, but as far as I'm concerned both are best terminated with extreme prejudice. Unlike Cortana, once switched off Siri stays off.

iCloud. We only use it for syncing a limited amount of data between tablet/phone/Mac. Photos, music and everything else we store locally.

And don't forget your itunes account/Apple user id and password. The stories of bricked iOS devices following major OS updates almost all boiled down to "it asked me for my account password before loading all my personal stuff and I can't remember it".

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/20 23:34:31 (permalink)
Another thing too and that is if you also happen to own an iMac and an iPhone the level of integration for the iPad with these other two devices is just excellent and way above anything Windows could hope to achieve. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 00:21:32 (permalink)
I have never had either, but found out that there are a lot of apps available only in IOS. I got to try out a few supporting apps (Studio One Remote in demo mode, apps for a Fretlight I bought as a gift) and was surprised how smooth it ran. Plus it came with GarageBand for free, so can play with it without buying anything.

Not gotten one yet, since I have no real need, but I know a lot of folks personally with one (there is also a wifi only version, so works in range of wifi without a data plan from a provider). I do not know anyone with a Windows tablet (yet).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 10:54:12 (permalink)
Samsung

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 14:17:05 (permalink)
Windows actually integrates well between desktop, tablet and phone (yes, I am the last one in the world with one of 'em).  It is the same OS on all of them, you can load the same programs and apps on each of them, and share any info you have put online between the hardware.  I haven't tried to load in SONAR on my phone, but I wouldn't want to do any sound work on it any way, or type a Russian novel on it.  So it works better in theory than practice, but I could ....

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 14:40:00 (permalink)
I only use Windows because I have a ton of Windows only applications.  It's a necessary evil.  Other than that, I really do not like Windows, and that would be my last choice for a tablet OS.

I think anything else is an improvement.  Android, iOS, Linux, MacOS, etc ...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 14:54:13 (permalink)
While the iPAD is nice for running remote software, remote-recording, some soft-synths (albeit limited in capability), etc... having to use iTunes to simply move data is **royal bass-akwards**  

On an Android, if you want to move an audio file, you connect via USB and drag/drop.
Yep... it's that simple.  My data... and I can immediately access it and do what I wish.

Want to move an audio file with your iPhone or iPad?  You've got to fire up iTunes.
Is it a "Voice Memo" or "song"?  
Slow and tedious... because Apple wants complete control.

If Android had the same level of (music related) support, I'd use Android exclusively.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 15:10:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/08/23 01:46:32
timidi

Sorry I didn't mention that.
I hadn't even thought about music apps. go figure:) 
Thanks again.

At some point I would like to get an iPad . My primarily use would be to use it as a portable music software creation center.

The uses you have mentioned in your post that I quoted can all be done on a Chromebook ...
I have one and most people that are looking to music tend to knock them .
The funny thing is this thing kicks the pant's out of my Mac's and Win 10 computers .
It gets a 9 hour battery life , 20 second start up time , runs my 2i4 and my yamaha sound cards as class compliant ...
no drivers were needed to be installed and at times I run my monitors w my SC as I would on any of my music computers .
I never had any buffering problems when streaming videos or movies .Always got a decent Wifi signal..
I don't even have to sign in because I can run in guest mode and stay private on the net or local .
Even in guest mode I can hook up an external HD and play music , watch vids , read pdf's and do a bunch of other things offline ....these things have players built in ...One of these day's I may hook up my tv to it since it has the correct slots ...
The only things the Chromebooks are no good for is if you want to create music or make videos from scratch or any of the other things people would use a traditional computer for as a creator VS consumer..

I'm not trying to sway you , I'm just mentioning what I have found out after picking one up for peanuts ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 15:55:06 (permalink)
If it's a travel computer,, I just use my iphone.
As said all the cool apps for music are on OS. I also have a older iPad at home and we have one at work too. The one at work is the 2nd gen the one at home is 3rd gen. All have the same up to date OS so other than the processing speed and the camera quality all  3 of these iOS devices I use are identical to learn and use. I find the OS very logical and other than the above mentioned stupid transferring of data issue they are well thought out. Aslo both old iPAds batteries are toast and cannot be easily replaced so it makes them useless for a lot of things. 

I have not purchased it yet but I want to try using "on Song" for displaying my lyrics at gigs. I don't see an app like that for Android. 
Right now I use my little Asus  netbook running Power point and it works fine. 
And speaking of netbooks, mine is 10 years old now, running XP I have used it for hundreds of live gigs for playback and now lyrics and it still runs a smooth a silk. I put an SSD drive in it ad it boots up in a whoping 20 sec ( XP remember was over 1 min. I have also taken it traveling with me for internet. It runs 10 hours on a full charge still and the ssd drive improved that too. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 15:56:17 (permalink)
I've always been a PC guy.
I would lean towards an Android or MS tablet for price, however a couple of years ago I won an iPad.
I thought about trading it for a non-Apple device, but was too lazy.  After a few days of getting used to it, I love the simplicity and speed.  It's not very upgradeable or repairable, but it would still get my vote now.

When my wife went to a conference for work, she bought a $20 cover for it, with a bluetooth keyboard.  Worked like a charm - small, simple, and reliable.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 15:56:19 (permalink)
double post.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 16:03:10 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Want to move an audio file with your iPhone or iPad?  You've got to fire up iTunes.
Is it a "Voice Memo" or "song"?  
Slow and tedious... because Apple wants complete control.

Didn't realize that one... I can see that triggering me pretty readily. Sounds akin to the old days when every email provider scraped off mp3 files since they "must be" pirated music. What a royal PITA those days were.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 16:26:56 (permalink)
Funny thing is if I remember history Atari and Apple used drag and drop long before PC.
You can drag and drop the Photo's from the Camera folder but you can't delete them.  
There's no access to the Music or text file folders so if you want to load your MP'3 backing tracks or lyrics into an iPad or phone you are forced to use iTunes. 
The other huge PITA is they have no SD card slots so your forced to pay $100 for a lousy extra few GB's. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 16:44:33 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I have not purchased it yet but I want to try using "on Song" for displaying my lyrics at gigs. I don't see an app like that for Android. 

On Song works very well.
If you use a monitor to display lyrics, don't get the IK Blueboard to turn pages.
I used the Blueboard many many times... and it's disconnected mid tune on many occasions.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 17:26:49 (permalink)
I got an iPad last year because I had an iPhone and can run most apps on either, simple as that. If I had an Android phone, I would go that route instead. I'm a believer in not going out of my way to have to learn a new interface paradigm unless there are significant benefits.

There are many excellent and relatively inexpensive ios music apps from DAW remote controls, touch controllers, tuners, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, and SPL level meters to synth and FX apps and even mini DAWs. Unfortunately it is indeed difficult to move files around under ios and really it's generally unnecessarily difficult to do anything with Apple products in a way Apple doesn't want you to do it.

There are lots of sites for music apps such as this one:
http://musicappblog.com/

With Apple, if you want to use ios compatible devices like audio/midi interfaces, you need to buy an overpriced "camera connection kit" and powered USB hub to provide power to the interface. Sadly, many places say only buy the overpriced Apple connector or it might not work reliably. And you cannot just plug in a USB adapter - you need the connection kit.

Whatever you get, don't skimp too much on memory/storage.

I also highly recommend a gooseneck tablet mounting thingy that clamps on to things. It's just awesome having a controller right there - mine is positioned inches above the pitch wheel on my main controller.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
AndyB01
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 18:12:48 (permalink)
Never been an Apple fan - I dislike the fact that you pay hundreds of pounds (or dollars) for a piece of kit and they treat it as if you're only renting it - I like to be able to control my own configs thanks. You also have to pay the 'Apple tax' and you can't expand the storage! I've never owned a tablet but family has a few - both iPad and Android (Samsung) - and I have to say the iPad wins on just about every front. The apps tend to be built to a better and more consistent standard (ask app developers and they will tell you they have fewer variables to cater for) and for general build quality, screen response and sound quality the iPads seem to win. I've tried music apps on both - a few decent but many are in the ToysRUs category (by which I mean they are more novelty than serious) but once again the iPad apps seem better, more stable. I also find that integration with some hardware (my Roland controller being one example and the TaylorSense ES2 system being another) leans more towards IOS (there isn't any Android equivalent for these).

So loathe as I am to say it - the iPad would get my vote and if I was buying that's what I would buy. That said I would never consider for one second a Mac for my main computer - I've been on every version of DOS and Windows going so I'll stick with what I know and spend what I save on VSTs.

Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 18:30:50 (permalink)
AndyB01 The apps tend to be built to a better and more consistent standard (ask app developers and they will tell you they have fewer variables to cater for) and for general build quality, screen response and sound quality the iPads seem to win. I've tried music apps on both - a few decent but many are in the ToysRUs category (by which I mean they are more novelty than serious) but once again the iPad apps seem better, more stable. I also find that integration with some hardware (my Roland controller being one example and the TaylorSense ES2 system being another) leans more towards IOS (there isn't any Android equivalent for these).

One thing we should probably point out (and I have no idea if this is true about Android), but Apple OS upgrades sometimes render certain apps completely useless unless the developer is actively maintaining updates for that particular app. Part of the "Apple way" is to move forward and backward compatibility is the developer's and user's problem. This fall a lot of older, no longer maintained apps will just die with a big OS upgrade that Apple basically forces you to do*.

*last time I looked, the only way to get out of an ios update was to turn on site blocking and add Apple's update servers to the blacklist, as if they were serving up naughty pictures or something. Amusing, but not a workable solution for me. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 19:21:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby drewfx1 2017/08/21 21:19:57
I agree with most and more specifically Roseberry re: plug-n-play, drag-n-drop which is why I switched to an Android phone.  iTunes caused me to use language I despise!

That being said, I would love to get an iPad pro for displaying music and playing stems/backing tracks. ForScore is an excellent app that allows you to attach an audio file and record page turns (even half page movements on the regular sized iPad) including repeats back and forth.  Simply touch play, the track starts and pages turn as you've instructed/recorded.

I have not yet seen a comparable Windows or Android app with this capability.  Yes, I know I can use my Air Turn Bluetooth device but ForScore really makes for an efficient no-hands performance.

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
tlw
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 23:21:01 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Aslo both old iPAds batteries are toast and cannot be easily replaced so it makes them useless for a lot of things. 

Apple stores can usually replace the battery, and they also do a "send it in and we'll fix it" service. A battery in the UK currently costs around £100 I believe.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
tlw
Re: why did you pick an iPad vs. android or vice versa ? 2017/08/21 23:59:11 (permalink)
drewfx1
One thing we should probably point out (and I have no idea if this is true about Android), but Apple OS upgrades sometimes render certain apps completely useless unless the developer is actively maintaining updates for that particular app. Part of the "Apple way" is to move forward and backward compatibility is the developer's and user's problem. This fall a lot of older, no longer maintained apps will just die with a big OS upgrade that Apple basically forces you to do*.

*last time I looked, the only way to get out of an ios update was to turn on site blocking and add Apple's update servers to the blacklist, as if they were serving up naughty pictures or something. Amusing, but not a workable solution for me. 

Apple does not force upgrades. My wife has an iphone supplied by her employer (UK civil service) which has government level security. Which in turn requires a specially built version of iOS because attempting to install "normal"iOS from the App Store makes the security package on the phone go into "under attack - block it, scramble the data, open the secret hollow tooth and bite hard on the cyanide pill" mode

Automatic upload downloads are blocked by going to Settings/iTunes & App Store and switching the slide for automatic update downloads to "off". Updates aren't forced via iTunes either. You can block automatic updates of any app in the same way.

I agree it's annoying that Apple are dropping support for 32 bit apps from the next iOS update, I'm considering getting my old Air fixed and just using it for the very few 32 bit apps I have that the developers are incapable of or unwilling to recompile for 64 bit, especially the two (not cheap) apps that were released after Apple had notified developers, but not the public, that 32 bit's days were numbered. And if anyone can tell me how to install some old 32 bit Windows stuff, mostly games, on a modern 64 bit PC that can't run their 16 bit installers I'd genuinely be grateful.

Apple's habit of eventually dropping stuff off their list of things the latest OS can run on isn't one of their better habits, but I'm not sure I'd want to try running modern Windows on an older PC either.

Anyway, Mac vs PC is one of those things like "Fender vs Gibson", there's no right answer that fits everyone. In the mobile market Apple have a hefty chunk and the stuff works well, though it has an Apple price tag attached and someone using entirely Windows might well do better for their needs with a Windows tablet. Or Chrome or Android, a lot depends on what you want to do with the thing and what you want it to function alongside.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1