would appreciate some constructive criticism

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
g_randybrown
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3522
2011/03/07 18:27:27 (permalink)

would appreciate some constructive criticism

I realize the drums are a little sloppy on the intro and I need to fill in the la la las with lyrics but wondering what you guys think of this.
Mixing is frustrating for me because it seems I always start too hot and then wind up having to bring everything down more and more...essentially doing another mix every time....thinking about getting the video subscription everyone's been talking about.
Anyway, it's at the top of this soundclick page titled "Diamonds" (working title) Diamonds (working title)

Thanks very much,
Randy

post edited by g_randybrown - 2011/03/07 22:30:25

G. Randy Brown 
Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
Intel Core i7-3770S
Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
two WD Black 1 TB HDD
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
youtube.com/crystalclearnm

38 Replies Related Threads

bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 18:48:53 (permalink)
    Randy, The link is set to go to Band Admin. Copy the link from the song.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 19:42:54 (permalink)

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 20:11:34 (permalink)
    g_randybrown

I realize the drums are a little sloppy on the intro and I need to fill in the la la las with lyrics but wondering what you guys think of this.
    Mixing is frustrating for me because it seems I always start too hot and then wind up having to bring everything down more and more...essentially doing another mix every time....thinking about getting the video subscription everyone's been talking about.
    Anyway, it's at the top of this soundclick page titled "Diamonds" (working title)
    http://www.soundclick.com/bandAdmin/default.cfm?content=songs&bandid=892315&sub=songInfo

Thanks very much,
    Randy

Randy:   WOW!  I really enjoyed this.  I'm still listening again, with a smile.  The intro was hot, reminded me of vintage ELP!   I would not touch the drums, either!  The song's main body brought to mind another of my favorite styles - Moody Blues!   Ahhhh excellent stuff you guys are doing here. 
    Interesting your comments about mixing, because that's precisely what I find myself doing.  I've been trying to teach myself to start at lower levels but still have a ways to go on that.  Hang in - you're further along than me and you've got a great sound going here!  Very well done!  

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 20:38:22 (permalink)
    JD1813

g_randybrown

Anyway, it's at the top of this soundclick page titled "Diamonds" (working title)
    http://www.soundclick.com/bandAdmin/default.cfm?content=songs&bandid=892315&sub=songInfo

Thanks very much,
    Randy

Randy:   WOW!  I really enjoyed this.  I'm still listening again, with a smile.  The intro was hot, reminded me of vintage ELP!   I would not touch the drums, either!  The song's main body brought to mind another of my favorite styles - Moody Blues!   Ahhhh excellent stuff you guys are doing here. 
    Interesting your comments about mixing, because that's precisely what I find myself doing.  I've been trying to teach myself to start at lower levels but still have a ways to go on that.  Hang in - you're further along than me and you've got a great sound going here!  Very well done!  
    Wow, to be compared to ELP and Moody Blues... I'm blown away thanks so much JD...you've made my day year sir!

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 21:21:38 (permalink)
    Yes excellent song and vocals. But, the drums do take away as they sound artificial to me. Is it a electronic kit? Everything else sounded well done.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 21:50:06 (permalink)
    I wish I could offer constructive criticism, but I really like it the way it is. Vocals are just GREAT!  Great volume and harmonies!  Nice tune and great performances. :) 

(oh, and it would help to put the correct link in your original post.)  :)
    post edited by Janet - 2011/03/07 21:51:21
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 22:33:08 (permalink)
    johnnyV

Yes excellent song and vocals. But, the drums do take away as they sound artificial to me. Is it a electronic kit? Everything else sounded well done.

Thanks very much Johnny...yes they are electronic but then everything else is too 

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/07 22:35:45 (permalink)
    Janet

I wish I could offer constructive criticism, but I really like it the way it is. Vocals are just GREAT!  Great volume and harmonies!  Nice tune and great performances. :) 

(oh, and it would help to put the correct link in your original post.)  :)

Wow thanks Janet, I don't think of myself as a "singer" but I think X1 can make anyone sound okay  

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    twisted6s
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2001
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 07:45:59 (permalink)
    Very nice Randy

Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 ghz processor, 8 gig ram, 2.5Tb drives, Sonar Platinum, Lynx L22, FMR Audio RNP & RNC, Mackie HR824, Neumann tlm 103, Window 10 64
    https://soundcloud.com/twisted6s/sets/tony-pruden

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 08:27:30 (permalink)
    This is good stuff! I agree with the Moody Blues comments, but still sounds original. This was very pleasant to listen to. No need to change anything except (since you ask) maybe the drums could use a small doze of analogification.

Love the "La-la-laa's" or is it "Da-da-daa"?

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 08:56:35 (permalink)
    twisted6s

Very nice Randy

and very nice of you to say my friend!

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 09:10:18 (permalink)
    ProjectM

This is good stuff! I agree with the Moody Blues comments, but still sounds original. This was very pleasant to listen to. No need to change anything except (since you ask) maybe the drums could use a small doze of analogification.

no, no it's la la da da da 
    I'm open for suggestions for lyrics right there BTW

"analogification"...I'll have to remember that word
    So I'm curious, is it the tone or the mechanical feel of the drums we're talking about here.
    I ask because I used the Steven Slate "sizzle kit" in SD3/X1 but entered it using the step sequencer (as an excercise to learn the step sequencer) and a keyboard and then tweaked in PRV. 
    If it's the mechanical feel then maybe I should bring my midi drum kit home and physically play the drum part ...and then tweak in PRV
    Thanks for the comments,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 11:41:52 (permalink)
    hey randy this is pretty good.  I have to agree about the drum comments, tho, they're dry and lifeless.  it's not necessarily the mechanical feel (although there is some of that), but the sounds are not great.  did you use the audio output of a drum machine for this?  I'd suggest replacing them with e-drum midi like you suggested and use EZ Drummer, Session Drummer 2/3 or Superior Drummer or something better than what you have.

vocals are good but spotty in places.

nice song!  keep up the good work!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 11:56:38 (permalink)
    Beagle

hey randy this is pretty good.  I have to agree about the drum comments, tho, they're dry and lifeless.  it's not necessarily the mechanical feel (although there is some of that), but the sounds are not great.  did you use the audio output of a drum machine for this?  I'd suggest replacing them with e-drum midi like you suggested and use EZ Drummer, Session Drummer 2/3 or Superior Drummer or something better than what you have.

vocals are good but spotty in places.

nice song!  keep up the good work!
    Thanks Beagle, the drums are Steven Slate's sizzle kit which I like but yeah you're right, in the mix the snare starts sounding like a cardboard box...any advice would be appreciated.
    Vocally; yessir I know they're spotty and downright flat in places. 
    I need to learn V-Vocal or maybe do a 2nd and 3rd take on them eh?
    Any other suggestions my friend?

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 16:42:22 (permalink)
    Okay I made changes to the drums...I think they sound better but would like to see if you guys think they need more work (and if so what?)
    Thanks very much,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    ProjectM
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 18:39:37 (permalink)
    g_randybrown

ProjectM

no, no it's la la da da da 
    I'm open for suggestions for lyrics right there BTW

"analogification"...I'll have to remember that word
    So I'm curious, is it the tone or the mechanical feel of the drums we're talking about here.
    I ask because I used the Steven Slate "sizzle kit" in SD3/X1 but entered it using the step sequencer (as an excercise to learn the step sequencer) and a keyboard and then tweaked in PRV. 
    If it's the mechanical feel then maybe I should bring my midi drum kit home and physically play the drum part ...and then tweak in PRV
    Thanks for the comments,
    Randy

"La la da da da" you say? If you ask me, the lyrics are finished! That part sounds really cool. I'm not joking, I love it!

"Analogification", yes, English is not my native language so I get by by making words as I go along he he.

But what I mean about it is that the drums sounds a little programmed. The drum sounds themselves are great so that's not what's causing it. However, I see you've used the step sequencer and while that is an awesome tool for programing drums, it does play everything on the same velocity repeatedly over a short amount of time, in an 8-bar loops for example. It takes away some of the organic feel in my ears when the same drum sounds come over and over again. Out side the computer a drummer, doing a thousand hits on the snare during a song, none of the hits will sound the same. It's just a question of emulating it in software. Physically playing the parts is a great option, I use a Triggerfinger for my beats and play as long passages as I can and never fix the velocity on repeating parts. However, it doesn't have to be a problem using the SS or clicking in every note with your mouse. If things sounds a little machine gun I usually trow the Velocity MIDI FX on it and choose it to randomize the velocity within a certain range (115-127 if it's multilayered at that range). You could drag the step sequencer MIDI files onto the track and apply it there. Groove Quantize is also one of my favorite tricks up my sleeve for the same effect. Or you could use the mouse and edit the velocity in PRV - but that can get tedious he he.

But actually, my comment on the drums were just because I was listening for something to put my finger on. They did sound great as they were too. It's just us nerds who notice, I'm guessing the rest of the world wouldn't mind But one final trick I like to use is to set up a send on the drum bus with a very short reverb, usually shorter than the "drum room" presets in most reverbs, and adjust the send level to taste so it's not quite audible but slightly noticeable. It can generate some random artefacts on its own to the sound and give the feel of a good old room miced kit

OK, I've written too much already. Bottom line is; I really, really liked the song and everything about it. I'm not able to check out the latest version on this computer (Soundclick messes it up for some reason) but you already had a winner

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    ProjectM
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 18:52:08 (permalink)
    Duh! Had my audio interface set to 48-bit...

I got to say, the "La la da da da" bit is probably my favourite part of the song!

The drums sounds good. I think maybe the "robot" feel comes from the ghost snare hit that is in every bar for most of the song

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 19:47:55 (permalink)
    Smooth as silk!

String Jammer
    Greek2Me
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 272
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/08 20:03:09 (permalink)
    The drum intro didn't do much for me, but then I'm generally not into rock.  However the REST of the song was really nice, a good listen.  Agree with the Moody Blues comparison.  Nice work.

Maranatha
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 09:56:06 (permalink)
    Thanks so much guys, I think I'll just take the ghost snare hits out (at least most of them)...they do seem to get a little monotonous.
    I also gave my 21 year old son a copy because I want him to sing the lead and the rest of the family to do the harmonies. 
    Thanks again everyone I feel pretty good about this now (I wrote it in 1985, did scratch tracks on a 4 track cassette and shelved it all this time).
    You guys have me pumped to dust off all the others that my wife and I wrote (in the early 90s) and get the family involved....which might be easy if they knew who the Moody Blues were (I'm still blown away by that comparison)

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    vechung
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 12:41:19 (permalink)
    Great song and it mix sounds very good.  Great vocal arrangement.  The intro is more agressive than the rest of the song.  The song structure it is pretty much AB-AB-instrumental outro.  How about build into a more aggresive second AB?  I think the drums are good.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 12:54:42 (permalink)

I hear overtones of the Moodies and ELO.

Strikes me that the problem with the drums is they are just a little to repetitive.  I would not loose all the ghost notes just some of them about 10 to 15%.  With those left use the Veyvel CAL to make some general charges to them.  You may also want to nudge a few around just by five or ten ticks just to add a little feel.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 13:29:59 (permalink)
    vechung

Great song and it mix sounds very good.  Great vocal arrangement.  The intro is more agressive than the rest of the song.  The song structure it is pretty much AB-AB-instrumental outro.  How about build into a more aggresive second AB?  I think the drums are good.

Thanks Vicente,
    I'm afraid I don't understand...disregarding the initial intro (which may be better to drop as I pulled it in from another piece I wrote anyway) I see the song as being AABA with an outro (with the A section being the verse and the B section being the chorus).
    When you suggest a more aggressive second AB do you mean adding another verse and chorus that would be more aggressive (maybe with guitar power chords or whatever)?
    Thanks again,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 13:38:19 (permalink)
    Wookiee

I hear overtones of the Moodies and ELO.

Strikes me that the problem with the drums is they are just a little to repetitive.  I would not loose all the ghost notes just some of them about 10 to 15%.  With those left use the Veyvel CAL to make some general charges to them.  You may also want to nudge a few around just by five or ten ticks just to add a little feel.

Thanks Wook...wow another Moody Blues/ELP reference....I'm ecstatic!
    Yessir, I like the ghost notes, it was initially a fake cabasa (as evidenced by the original version at the bottom of the soundclick page). After listening I feel they do become a little redundant so tomorrow I'd like to get rid of some of them as well as check out the script you mentioned (or just play it...hell I was a pro drummer for 20 plus years).
    Thanks again my friend,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    vechung
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 16:53:16 (permalink)
    Yeah, I meant, if your intro is aggressive, you should build the song into that.  It is your choice what part.   More crunchy guitars, heavier drums, massive distortion, earthquakes, and Cat5 huricanes  .

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 20:21:51 (permalink)
    vechung

Yeah, I meant, if your intro is aggressive, you should build the song into that.  It is your choice what part.   More crunchy guitars, heavier drums, massive distortion, earthquakes, and Cat5 huricanes  .

I'm thinking the intro is just inappropriate and should be used in another song or something.
    The initial idea was for that to be an outro of another song ...kind of a concept album thing....like the Moody Blues...yeah that's it!!! (JK) 
    Thanks my friend,
    Randy

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    Janet
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/09 21:15:55 (permalink)
    "Wow thanks Janet, I don't think of myself as a "singer" but I think X1 can make anyone sound okay"

Really?  Maybe I should upgrade!  :)
    g_randybrown
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/10 08:53:45 (permalink)
    Janet

"Wow thanks Janet, I don't think of myself as a "singer" but I think X1 can make anyone sound okay"

Really?  Maybe I should upgrade!  :)

hahaha...I guess I meant Sonar (or even just a DAW) in general : )

G. Randy Brown 
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    Janet
    Re:would appreciate some constructive criticism 2011/03/10 09:10:35 (permalink)
    Oh phooey.  That means I'll either have to learn to use Sonar better or continue my voice lessons.  lol
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1