AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING VSTS IN SONAR 7

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/22 10:03:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sandman5000
for all the reasons I already stated, I have a different POV. I do believe it when there is a consensus of 'amateurs' saying a particular mobo works well. And I know UAD would have a good mobo recommendation if I asked them directly. But again, what does UAD have to do with the OP? It's a scare tactic. And what if one never wants to use UAD or firewire (like me)?

The daw assemblers don't have the exclusive rights to daw parts lists. But again, we are running in circles now. Cory, I think you are the coolest, but....we are not going to convince each other.

I know, and I truly respect your POV, you know that. We're actually much closer on this than most would assume based on this conversation. Truly, my biggest issue is the fact that you're stating inflated numbers to prove your point... stop doing that, and I'll back off! LOL

It's all good, and it's a free country. Just use real numbers. In my experience (and I've actually PURCHASED from a DAW vendor...) the price difference between buying from them or building myself is negligible at worst.

As I said, the consensus of 'amateurs' sure bent me over, Sandman. Your experience may vary. Personally, I'm not going down that road again, even though I'm a dedicated DIY'er. In this case, it's NOT worth the extra money, to me.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/22 10:40:10 (permalink)
If people where only able to get a successful daw by going thru a daw builder, then how do explain the hundreds of thousands of people that successfully build their own, trouble free systems (like me)? UAD forums (or any music forums) would be full of posts on the subject. But most places have one or two posts about help with a self built system not working right.

Not scientific, I know, but neither is the assertion that you will have trouble if you build it yourself. In fact, one can make the fair assumption that mostly all self builds are wroking fine (UAD or otherwise).

i have posted this so many times and i will do it again

IF you are a lite duty hobbiest with a firewire interface (and even thats hit and miss)
no PCI/PCIe cards going inside
and you dont need/want support for audio go buy a Dell.
you cant build one less than dell until you get into the $1500 range (a real system not a POS)

as to the soo many people have success building their own yeah ok. either they are in the above crowd
or they got very lucky.

i read these and 10 other forums every day. i see far more "i have an issue" and pops clicks than success
i cant count how many people have sent thier systems to us to get working right after failed attempts to build
and numerous "i bought a daw from so and so (wont mention any names) can you make it work as it should have. an i am not trying to brag here just telling you what we see on a daily basis.
even the company i bought had far more support "issues" than we had anticpated.

trying to get mulitple PCI/PCIe cards working in harmony at low latency, large track count without issues is NOT a walk in the park.

add to that a simple Bios change to a known working board with combo "a+b+e" now does not work make it even more difficult.

it costs me about 10k to validate a new platform now. things have become more difficult now than ever before. (and it was just 2- 2.5 yrs ago when i told my staff its getting to be like an erector set
almost anyone can do it, this keeps up we will be out of jobs soon) man has that changed.

this is not scare tatics just the facts. i have on my shelf every X 58 board made to date (other than 1 silly Matx i have no use for)
i keep hoping i can sell the ones that will not work for audio (most of them) in a game box.

we are pulling our hair out right now with the new Core i7 Xeons.....
dont forget we also do video and its no better on that side of things.

and if i do make $700 on a system over parts price (some i do like the Xeons) most not even close
by the time to actual profit into my personal pocket gets there its very small. like 5-7%

what you do not factor in is support and warranty.

this from another forum where they were asking if i would give them the magic list for a price...

ok bear with me on this...

newegg shopping list $1359. add $39 for paragon back up
$1398. this is an exact list to what i configured on my site for $1915 for a core i7

$1398
$200 for magic list
$150 for support lifetime.

$1748 vs $1915

another $150 and we build it, completely warranty it support it intergrate your hardware and software. and you dont have to do anything... never mind if any of your parts have to be RMAed... trouble shooted...

dont see much of a market for this....

maybe without the support part. that would be $300 savings...

bottom line newegg vs me $517 Jim would be about the same price. (others are much higher )

only you can decide if $500 is worth your time, irritation, parts not working, no warrnty and no support.

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/22 13:13:13 (permalink)
Scott is right on... on all accounts.

Hey Scott, you enjoying your new fire engine red Ferrari, 30,000 sq ft mansion, and partying like a rock-star with Tom Vu's girlfriends?
Well... you know... being a DAW builder does have its perks.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/22 14:33:02 (permalink)
LOL
i think you have me confused with Chuck Surack (sweetwater)

yeah if peeps can look at my books they would poop... my in pocket was less than 5% last yr.
part of my write offs was an inventory shrink of $62k
nope not stolen, tossed out/end of life or damaged.

motherboards on the shelf from RMAs now no longer sold
damaged in shipping not paid for by fedex
warranty replacement (out of warranty by manufacturer but not me) also why i dont do a 3yr warranty anymore !
products from platform validation that i cant sell for audio/video
etc, etc.

oh and the 4 PCI UADs we have been using for validation i finally wrote off. (aint worth $20 a peice)
a few poco a duende...

yeah we charge too much

post edited by jcschild - 2009/04/22 14:44:29

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Houndawg
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 759
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/23 02:27:52 (permalink)
I'm still AMAZED at the folks who believe that all you need to successfully build a rock solid, reliable, and high performing DAW is just a "magic list" of parts -- couldn't be any further from the truth. Sure, there are LOTS of folks who've done it themselves and have gotten lucky with no major issues, and many MANY more who haven't just as Scott said -- read the forums. I could be wrong, but I personally believe many of the ones who have "gotten lucky" don't necessarily push their systems to the extremes -- which is where a truly well designed (or not) DAW shows its true colors.

I'm a SMALL part-time DAW builder, and have been for many years. Not ANY where near the experience or quantity of Scott or Jim, but I've been quite successful with the systems I have in the field -- many running for several years without a hitch. A friend of one of my clients recently copied the parts list of a DAW I designed, assuming that's all he needed to build an equally solid/stable/reliable system. He found out the HARD way that there's much more to it that a "magic" list of parts, and won't make that mistake again.

I have tremendous respect for what Jim and Scott do, and VERY OFTEN recommend them to potential clients that I can't or won't handle. I get nothing and expect nothing for those referrals other than the peace of mind knowing that customer's needs will be expertly met at a FAIR price with great support. Scott and Jim both have spent an enormous amount of their time and expertise over the years helping people on this forum WITHOUT pushing their systems. I have NEVER, even ONCE, read a post by Jim or Scott when offering advice to a forum member that sounded ANYTHING like an advertisement.

Having done a fair amount of DAW testing and research myself, I fully support and understand why Jim and Scott don't simply post their parts listing to anyone who asks. I would submit, however, that even if they did, most do-it-yourselfers would still fall far short of the same results. BIOS configurations, driver installation/settings, OS configurations, application settings, etc., etc., ALL can have a SIGNIFICANT impact on the overall performance of the DAW -- ESPECIALLY when the DAW is pushed to at or near its limits with massive track counts, low latency settings, and an absurd amount of plug-ins many users expect to use.

I applaud ANYONE who has the time, patience, and inclination to learn and do it all by themself -- that's exactly how I started many years ago. I also have a solid background in analog and digital electronics, recording/engineering, music/live performance -- all of which has served me well as a DAW designer/builder. Quite a few forum members come here seeking the BEST advice in getting a DAW, and for those folks who don't have the time, patience, much less the skillset to do it, I will ALWAYS recommend Jim or Scott -- ESPECIALLY if a high performance and trouble-free system is paramount. For those who enjoy building/testing/troubleshooting/trying new parts, configurations, etc., and aren't doing misssion critical work, then by all means have at it and have fun. But most don't want to take the RISK, they just want to get to what is important which is MAKING MUSIC.

For that peace of mind, KNOWING that you'll get a DAW which will serve as a solid, reliable, and trouble-free tool for making music, the SMALL amount of profit in the systems sold by Jim and Scott are well worth the extra expense in my opinion, especially when you consider the support provided (if needed) after the sale. Could the do-it-yourselfer get support on this forum? Of course, and often times from Jim and Scott. Could the do-it-yourselfer get some BAD or just plain wrong advice on this forum? Of course, happens all the time by good well-meaning forum members who just don't know any better.

In the time that Jim and Scott have been in the DAW business, several others have come and gone. If the services they provide and the value they add to their systems were overpriced or not needed by the market, they would be gone as well -- but they're not -- history has proven that they are needed and that they have a good and viable business model. I will continue to recommend them to anyone who asks without reservation.

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
midimal
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/23 12:59:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Houndawg

I'm still AMAZED at the folks who believe that all you need to successfully build a rock solid, reliable, and high performing DAW is just a "magic list" of parts -- couldn't be any further from the truth. Sure, there are LOTS of folks who've done it themselves and have gotten lucky with no major issues, and many MANY more who haven't just as Scott said -- read the forums. I could be wrong, but I personally believe many of the ones who have "gotten lucky" don't necessarily push their systems to the extremes -- which is where a truly well designed (or not) DAW shows its true colors.

I'm a SMALL part-time DAW builder, and have been for many years.

I am on of those folks who had luck to built (by mistake? ) a super stable system (not going to touch any of settings for any money u pay )
I got super stable quiet and fast system now
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

Win7 x64  I7@920 notOC-ed, nocturna cooler AsusP6Tdeluxe
12GB CorsairDominator@1600MHz 
Nvidia passive 2xDVI/HDMI  with CUDA!; 2x26"TFT@1900x1200
SSD OCZ Vertex 240GB/64MBCache SATAII + ManyTB of HDs ;)
TascamFW1082 2xM-Audio (1x49 1x 88Keystation)
rstollen
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1561
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/24 02:23:24 (permalink)
Why is there so much talk about luck and magic? We're just talking about computer parts and configuration!

When I do some research to determine which parts will work well together, and then build it, I don't consider my parts list to be "magical", nor do I feel "lucky" when it works. I respect DAW builders, but I will probably never use a UAD card, and I'm willing to ask around about performance, cooling, quality, compatibility, and configuration.

I, for one, would love for more forum members to share their experiences (like midimal did). I understand when a pro determines that it's not cost effective to build their own DAW. But for some hobbyists, building the PC and tinkering with it is part of the fun.

Maybe we need a "Computer - Do It Yourself" forum. Or how about a "Build you own DAW" forum. Then the hobbyists could freely ask questions and exchange information without all of this constant consternation between the "do it yourself" crowd and the "purchase and ship" crowd.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
Mr Blint
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/25 11:15:21 (permalink)
I have built about a half dozen DAWs for myself. In most cases, the most valuable and TRUE information I got to help me build my DAWs were warnings provided by Jim and Scott regarding stuff to avoid! That being said - I wish they had posted info telling me which parts to go with, but I understand that those specific configuration recommendations are the "intellectual capital" that they posses, and that giving that away would be business suicide. In the past I tried to figure out the best parts (read motherboard) to use and out of 6 daws I hit winners 4 out of 6 times. The latest time I followed advice from guys on these threads as well as Tomshardware and I am currently suffering from all sorts of problems. The DAW worked great until I added a UAD card. Now UAD cards were not something I had any interest in when I built- but now I can't live without. Basically, I am looking at replacing and going to I7. But if you look around you ill find that there are no "right" answers on the forums regarding the processor/motherboard/graphics card/audio card/memory configuration. You may find numerous users with "working" daws, but will they still work if you add a DSP card? a new audio card? a software upgrade? There is NO way of knowing unless you have access to someone who has built a daw with all of those things.

For some people it is easier and more worthwhile to have Jim or Scott build the PC for them. Some people will still want to build their own - LIke Me! But I will never build a DAW again without paying for the consulting expertise from one of the DAW builders.

Oh - and I would definitely ignore the guy who hijacked this thread to flame the DAW builders. He has offered no valuable information at all- the links don't provide enough info. If you build based upon this sort of vague info you are playing Russian roulette with your DAW. If you are lucky enough to find someone posting advice who built a DAW that works great - who has the exact combination of hardware and software components as you, as well as the devices that you know you might be adding in the future, then consider yourself lucky and hope that the guy is posting honest information and isn't using a component that worked in his case - but is actually a component that has a history of very poor reliability that later burns you!

Art for Art's Sake
Money for God's Sake
rstollen
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/25 23:36:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr Blint

If you are lucky enough to find someone posting advice who built a DAW that works great - who has the exact combination of hardware and software components as you, as well as the devices that you know you might be adding in the future, then consider yourself lucky and hope that the guy is posting honest information and isn't using a component that worked in his case - but is actually a component that has a history of very poor reliability that later burns you!

Not trying to be difficult, but I have to ask. So what is the point of this forum? If I understand you correctly, the only information that should be trusted here is the advice to purchase from a DAW builder.

8.5.1 PE, i7 920, GA-EX58-UD4P, 6gb Corsair DDR3, 2 x Barracuda 500gb, HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, XP Pro SP3, dual 24" monitors, Axiom 61, Korg Triton Pro, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, VG-99, Yamaha MSP5, Fostex PM0.5
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/26 01:06:05 (permalink)
Not trying to be difficult, but I have to ask. So what is the point of this forum? If I understand you correctly, the only information that should be trusted here is the advice to purchase from a DAW builder.

I don't think that is what he is implying. It is a realization as you need a more complicated system with UAD's and such the computeris more prone to not working right. Even Scott (DAW builder) has said if you're a home hobbiest with modest track count you normally are okay DIY route it is when you need extreme low latency and complicated set up's that knowledge comes into play.

Never thought I would be interested in UAD cards until I saw them in action. The card might act as a dongle, but the extra processing power and sonic quality of the plug-in left me very impressed. If I can handle $1500.00 plus for a UAD quad in the future there is no
way I'm going to build a DAW and gamble that it works with the card.

I have build several computers in the past and I'm stress testing a new office PC at this moment with a AMD 710 X3 in it. For the price with a gigabyte micro motherboard the
computer is looking good for under $600.00 build from scratch.

For a new DAW computer, I'm leaning for a DAW builder to build it this time around.
Just hoping to last until Windows 7 is released.

My .02cents worth.

Ed
rstollen
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/26 02:09:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: InstrEd

I don't think that is what he is implying. It is a realization as you need a more complicated system with UAD's and such the computeris more prone to not working right. Even Scott (DAW builder) has said if you're a home hobbiest with modest track count you normally are okay DIY route it is when you need extreme low latency and complicated set up's that knowledge comes into play.

Well said.

JimMcCann
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/26 08:40:10 (permalink)
I respect the opinions of those who build it themselves. However, I just bought a system from ADK and am perfectly happy with it. I've been in the computer business for 30 years - both hardware and software - and have spent my life debugging all kinds of issues in both arenas. I have built working systems from the ground up - but not necessarily inclusive of all the software and hardware components I want in my DAW. I could probably have built a system that would work well, but, frankly, I didn't want to go through the hassles - because there is always some kind of time consuming debugging that goes on somewhere in the process and I just want to make music, not chase down similar problems to the ones I deal with every day.

Scott and his team gave me a system - not unreasonably priced - with multiple components that worked right out of the box. We spent considerable time on the phone identifying exactly what I needed and didn't need based on what I do and can afford. So, did Scott make some money on the deal? I hope so - the service and time savings he provided was invaluable to me. He did nothing more than what I do every day: I have a lot of experience in specific technology areas and get paid pretty well for utilizing that experience to save my customers time and money.

I wouldn't build it myself but for those who do, please don't slam Jim and Scott for offering their advice to folks either. The implied insult of "the DAW Salesmen Forum" is not justified by anything either of them has posted. I suspect their advertising is strictly word of mouth yet you don't see them putting any kind of sell on anyone on these forums. I would highly recommend either of those two gentlemen and their companies to prospective DAW buyers. If you want to build it yourself, go ahead - it is not that hard to put the parts together, but I personally prefer using someone else's expertise to get exactly what I want with the least amount of cost and hassle.

My .02

Jim
rstollen
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/26 21:47:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: JimMcCann

please don't slam Jim and Scott for offering their advice to folks...

It looks like you were replying to my post. But no "slamming" here.
post edited by rstollen - 2009/04/26 22:42:20

uncleswede
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/04/27 07:28:48 (permalink)
This thread has unfortunately turned out to be about as useful as a chocolate teapot...
Shame

---------------------------------------------------------
How to fly - throw yourself at the ground and miss
S8.5PE, i7-920 (XP), 6Gb RAM, Phonic Helix 12, Axiom 61 controller, JM VC3Q and mic, plus more...
Rajay1
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: AM BUYING NEW COMPUTER AND NEED HELP CHOOSING PARTS TO MAKE IDEAL COMPUTER FOR USING V 2009/05/06 21:24:03 (permalink)
If you are building your own I salute you. Took me a long while to make that decision. My reason is strictly financial. Fixed income and all that. Take your time. Educate yourself by first deciding what you want your machine to do and if it'll grow with your growing needs. If it's for music, talk first to musicians with tech knowledge. That's way better than talking to someone who builds for business or gamers. Although I've replaced parts, I've never built a complete unit so I'm a neophyte like you. I'm sure these guys will eventually get together and guide you correctly. There's another who frequents this site and others who has been a great help to me. His name is Chalfant. Don't know if I can mention that other site where Scope 4 Live is found. The first 2 letters are N O. He's a serious musician who works on the Vegas strip and is very knowledgeable about systems that work. When I'm finally ready, I'll have talked to at least close to a hundred people and contacted numerous manufacturers and distributers. In time though, it's you who has to decide and live with it. Don't know the other guy but Jim's stuff is all over the place. I'll even be talking to him when I get paid again. Don't forget these key words. Compatibility, Stability, Performance. In that order. Oh, and I'm 60. Good luck.
post edited by Rajay1 - 2009/05/06 21:37:55

Rajay
SPE6.2.1,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,StylusRMX,Trilogy,VGuitarist2, Battery3,B4II,CoolEditPro2.1,TranslatorPro,IBM M51 P4530 3GHzHT 4GBDDR 80GBSATA,2xWD149GBFW,KurzweilK2500XL,Event 20/20,2xMackie 1604,Delta1010, MidiTimepiece AV, MX8,On and on....
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1