Helpful ReplyLocked[Announcement] Community Updates

Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Author
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 15:24:54 (permalink)
Many sites ask for feedback on their knowledge base material. Was this helpful, yes - no - maybe, so it seems that some sort of polling was found to be beneficial by those companies.

There's no such thing as too much information when it comes to your customer base. Most quality assurance standards mandate the collection of customer feedback in some form. Surveys and polls are two of the leading methods. Maybe Cakewalk is going for ISO certification to TS16949.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 15:44:49 (permalink)
drewfx1
dubdisciple
Some people are more likely to respond to a simple poll than post an opinion. So polls do have value in being a quick way to some up a simple opinion. They have their weaknesses but it is probably among those quickest ways to get general overview even if that overview is skewed

Ah, I see.

So you're saying that they're an easy way to get lousy data on what people too lazy to even post might think? 

No, I'm saying that in a forum envirnment, the quality of information will fluctuate anyway whether they are simply responding to poll or giving written responses. I have seen plenty of responses to questions that were just as useless as poll data. You are making the black and white assumption that anyone who does not post a reply is lazy. That is not only false but insulting. Some people come to forum to read but lack confidence among more experienced people to chime in. Some people fear over the top responses from overzealous fanatics on some topics. Some simply are short on time and would gladly check a simple poll. There are infinite possibilities besides laziness. There are advantages and disadvantages to any method of gathering data in an uncontrolled environment. This forum, like most tends to be very top heavy with very vocal, highly opinionated factions. Lots of useful information but also a lot of highly biased gibberish based on emotion too.
Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 15:52:17 (permalink)
drewfx1
dubdisciple
Some people are more likely to respond to a simple poll than post an opinion. So polls do have value in being a quick way to some up a simple opinion. They have their weaknesses but it is probably among those quickest ways to get general overview even if that overview is skewed

Ah, I see.

So you're saying that they're an easy way to get lousy data on what people too lazy to even post might think? 

I understand, and relate to, your skepticism regarding forum polls. Poll results that are taken out of context, or taken too extremely (like the somewhat recent KVR poll for best DAW), or are misrepresented by fanbois (i.e, again the KVR/DAW poll) tend to exacerbate the skepticism that forum polls can offer any useful data. So while I distrust forum poll data in general, I do think that there can be useful results - Craig Anderton's post (#147) is a good example. His poll example would give him a general "feel" for continuing in a specific direction, which would be helpful to him, without having to worry about whether the results were indicative of the forum population at large. At the very least, the results of Craig's poll would tell him that members who read his tips thread and took the time to respond to the poll would, for example, be interested in more tips about Matrix View. Likewise, the aforementioned KVR DAW poll results relate what I would call "casual data" - for example, that most of the KVR forum members who answered the poll use Reaper. Now that might be a big "so what" to many of us, but it tells the KVR admins (or anyone else who's interested) what DAW is reportedly used by most of the KVR forum poll respondents. I do think it is a mistake to imply that those (KVR poll) results apply to the general forum membership or even to the Pro Audio industry (as some have mistakenly implied) but the responses are useful at a certain level. In these cases, disregarding the poll results as "lousy data" may be short-sighted - yeah, the data may in fact be lousy, but that doesn't mean the data isn't useful.

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:07:21 (permalink)
dubdisciple
drewfx1
dubdisciple

Ah, I see.

No, I'm saying that in a forum envirnment, the quality of information will fluctuate anyway whether they are simply responding to poll or giving written responses. I have seen plenty of responses to questions that were just as useless as poll data. You are making the black and white assumption that anyone who does not post a reply is lazy. That is not only false but insulting. Some people come to forum to read but lack confidence among more experienced people to chime in. Some people fear over the top responses from overzealous fanatics on some topics. Some simply are short on time and would gladly check a simple poll. There are infinite possibilities besides laziness. There are advantages and disadvantages to any method of gathering data in an uncontrolled environment. This forum, like most tends to be very top heavy with very vocal, highly opinionated factions. Lots of useful information but also a lot of highly biased gibberish based on emotion too.

The only choices given were:

A) Black
B) White

You have to choose one of those two. 

If you happen to have an idea other than one of those two, or wish to express an unpopular opinion, it's devalued by the polling process before you even start

That's the way it works.

Please think about it.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
dubdisciple
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:13:27 (permalink)
Drew..great strawman but it assumes at least two worse case scenarios.

1) All polls will come down to a black white choice all the time.

2) People will be forbidden from chiming in other than selecting a or b.

I highly doubt poll threads will be closed to people commenting, ranting, etc. So far every survey cakewalk has ever sent me solicited commemts in addition to whatvmy choices were.
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:28:16 (permalink)
I want to start a poll to see if this fred needs to discuss polls.

Or "Fish".
dubdisciple
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:31:21 (permalink)
bapu
I want to start a poll to see if this fred needs to discuss polls.

Or "Fish".

The data would be useless so we should start at thread discussing if we need polls and then do a poll as to whether that thread was effective!
Ruben
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:39:52 (permalink)
Anderton
Ruben
Whoa!... moderators who are non-Cakewalk employees ?!? - This is quite a "first" after over a decade of the "CW employees only" policy! That's a big move. (Insert eye-popping emoticon)

It's already happened. I'm not a Cakewalk employee, and I did not have mod status for quite a while after Gibson acquired Cakewalk. But I'm up at all hours and when the spam was out of control, I asked for mod powers to get rid of it. I was not asked to be a mod, and I'm not particularly sure anyone at Cakewalk wanted to have an outside person be a mod, but they needed help. So I guess I was the first crack in the wall

Yeeeaaahhhh... I don't think so.

Apples and oranges - you may not be a CW employee, but you are an executive (? I think) of Cakewalk's current owner - that puts you in a different class than those of us in the Great Unwashed. You asked for mod powers, including the ability to ban spammers, and CW certainly considered your position in evaluating your request. Until now, that request coming from any other non-employee forum member has been met with the response "No thanks".

However, you may have indeed "cracked the wall" so to speak and been partly responsible for CW new willingness to accept non-employee mods. So thanks for that.

Anderton
Which leads me to a suggestion - start looking for volunteer mods within your beta test group - at least there is a degree of commitment and loyalty (if that's what you want) there among your beta testers.

I would respectfully advise Cakewalk that technical knowledge and commitment to Cakewalk have little to do with being a good mod. Forum moderation requires a unique skill set, a thick skin, a lot of patience, a positive outlook, and understanding/tolerance. A good mod's first impulse should be to clarify a situation, neither defuse it nor squash it. Often clarification is all that's needed to stop problems.

What you say is true, but on the other hand, technical knowledge and commitment to CW does not preclude the ability to be a good mod. I wasn't suggesting that CW get all of their new mods from the beta group (although that may work out for them)... my suggestion was to start with the folks who have more than a casual relationship with CW - IOW, take a look at the beta group and see what you find. Move on if you need to. Rise and repeat. YMMV.

Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:45:41 (permalink)
So what I think...

Extra mods are fine.

Avoid writing up too many rules and regulations. Most of the time it's common sense.

Avoid mods moderating mods scenario (i.e. the peoples judean front). Instead have a supermod (i.e. Craig), one person everybody can go to in case of problems (dictatorships generally work).

I like the idea of one forum dedicated to the latest Sonar product, however I think the other versions need to be split over two forums... So when X4 comes out we could have an x4 forum, an x1 to x3 forum, and then another forum for anything before that.

I don't care much for community points myself unless it can be converted into cash ;).

Ta...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
tom1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:46:29 (permalink)
You might think of reinstating Bub.

I think he'd be a great Moderator.  Things would be running like clockwork within short order.

Sonar Producer X2/ProTools/Cubase/Reaper
Studio Cat 32 Gig Ram
East West:
Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds/Goliath 
Kontakt Ultimate / FabFilter Bundle / EaReverb / Maag4 / Izotope Ozone 5 / Izotope RX2 / Elastique / Waves  

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:47:11 (permalink)
drewfx1
Anderton
I've used polls a lot in the past, but not for statistical purposes due to the reasons Bitflipper mentions. However, it can help set priorities. For example in the tip of the day thread, I would like to have put up a poll where you could choose either:

1. Please do more tips about Matrix View.
2. I don't use it, nuke the Matrix View tips.
3. At least do some, I'd like to know more about Matrix View.

Now, this would not give me statistics on how many people use or don't Matrix view, but if a lot of people cared enough to post they did or did not want tips, I'd find that helpful.

But the question is:

Is there any need for you to quantify this, and do you get any less info if you just ask the same question without putting in the format of a poll?

A poll is a far more compact and time-efficient way to obtain information compared to trying to track individual replies within a thread.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Ruben
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:51:49 (permalink)
craigb
Ruben
craigb
Ruben
 If new mods can't ban then how will they eliminate spammers?

We can do it now.  Three flags as a spammer and they're gone.  Any abuse of the process is handled by a Cakewalk mod.  

IINM, this method only removes one offending post at a time - it doesn't stop a spammer from making more posts. Banning does (to a degree).

Not true!  On the third flag the poster is banned until the flagged post can be reviewed by a moderator.  Yes, you'd have to flag each spam post three times for it to disappear (and bump another topic over it so it doesn't show in the main index), but the first priority is to get three flags on any spam post to ban the offender (which is usually a bot).

Meh. Still too much effort. Most of us have better things to do (like read the Software forum) than spending our time clicking on spam. Better to let the mods ban spammers - spammer goes away, end of story. Anderton already does this... saves members' time for more creative endeavors.  

drewfx1
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:58:30 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Drew..great strawman but it assumes at least two worse case scenarios.

Um, it wasn't a strawman's argument, but whatever.

1) All polls will come down to a black white choice all the time.

A poll restricts you to the choices given. Even if there's an "Other" or "None of the Above" it's almost always devalued compared to the choices expressly given. That's just the way it works.

2) People will be forbidden from chiming in other than selecting a or b.

No, but if they are expressing unpopular opinions their arguments are devalued by the poll results in bold at the top. This is not a problem if "popularity" is what is being measured, but if popularity is what is being measured it really doesn't matter if one chimes in or not.

They have their weaknesses but it is probably among those quickest ways to get general overview even if that overview is skewed

Some people come to forum to read but lack confidence among more experienced people to chime in. Some people fear over the top responses from overzealous fanatics on some topics. Some simply are short on time and would gladly check a simple poll. There are infinite possibilities besides laziness. 

On the one hand you are admitting that the number is skewed, but then you appear to be arguing that it is important to count people who might not be willing to post, for whatever reason, but would answer the poll question.

If you don't go through the proper steps to make sure you are obtaining a representative sample and don't run the appropriate statistics, how do you know what the margin of error is on whatever number you get out of it?

If you are convincing yourself that the numbers somehow mean more than they do, then that is the pseudoscience point I made earlier. It is very easy to fall into this trap, but you either have to do the work to establish the level of confidence in the numbers or else just disregard them. 

And if you can't have any real confidence in the quantified results because you don't know the margin of error and whatnot, then what's the point of doing a poll where the only added value is getting quantified results?

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Anderton
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 16:59:33 (permalink)
drewfx1

A) Black
B) White

If you happen to have an idea other than one of those two, or wish to express an unpopular opinion, it's devalued by the polling process before you even start

That's the way it works.

CNN and Fox News polls, yes. But when I did polls on Harmony Central, they were the opening post in a thread and I would hope this software allows a similar option. People could add comments if they wanted. Sometimes I changed a poll shortly after posting if it needed another option.

For my purposes (to gauge interest in a topic), any option is better than no feedback at all; and a poll is easier to manage than a thread that's a lengthy collection of essay-type replies. And if someone's opinion is indeed "black" or "white," a poll accommodates that information better than having to write a reply with that word. If the answer is "gray," don 't post in the poll, and make a comment. If needed, modify the poll to include gray.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 17:03:40 (permalink)
Ruben
Anderton
Ruben
Whoa!... moderators who are non-Cakewalk employees ?!? - This is quite a "first" after over a decade of the "CW employees only" policy! That's a big move. (Insert eye-popping emoticon)

It's already happened. I'm not a Cakewalk employee, and I did not have mod status for quite a while after Gibson acquired Cakewalk. But I'm up at all hours and when the spam was out of control, I asked for mod powers to get rid of it. I was not asked to be a mod, and I'm not particularly sure anyone at Cakewalk wanted to have an outside person be a mod, but they needed help. So I guess I was the first crack in the wall

Yeeeaaahhhh... I don't think so.

Apples and oranges - you may not be a CW employee, but you are an executive (? I think) of Cakewalk's current owner - that puts you in a different class than those of us in the Great Unwashed. You asked for mod powers, including the ability to ban spammers, and CW certainly considered your position in evaluating your request.

Of course I assume that was a factor, but I also have a track record of moderation going back to 1995 on AOL, as well as a long familiarity with the company and its products, so I was a pretty "safe" option. Regardless, I'm not a Cakewalk employee, so that line has been crossed.

Anderton
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 17:11:00 (permalink)
drewfx1
If you are convincing yourself that the numbers somehow mean more than they do, then that is the pseudoscience point I made earlier. It is very easy to fall into this trap, but you either have to do the work to establish the level of confidence in the numbers or else just disregard them. 

And if you can't have any real confidence in the quantified results because you don't know the margin of error and whatnot, then what's the point of doing a poll where the only added value is getting quantified results?

Don't think of forum polls as rigorous statistical data, because we both know they aren't. I think of them as a more formal version of anecdotal evidence.

If lots of people say they want Matrix View tips and only a couple say they don't, that doesn't mean anything about how many Cakewalk users use the Matrix View. But it does tell me that if I do Matrix View tips, a bunch of people will appreciate them. OTOH if lots of people say they don't want Matrix View tips and only a few say they do, then I would back off on including the tips in the thread, and write a blog article instead on the Matrix View so people who didn't want to see Matrix View tips wouldn't have to deal with them "cluttering up" the tips thread.

dubdisciple
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 17:15:10 (permalink)
Drew, you are still using pseudoscience yourself by continuing to use worse case hypothetical scenarios as fact. People express unpopular opinions now. Not sure how having a poll would change that. Also, the exact same critiscisms you lob at polls can easily be applied to an open question. In fact it can be argued that people are less likely to respond to a thread filled with statements opposite of their stance ( particularly if made by overbearing orb popular forum members) than they are to numbers not attached to a name. There is no doubt that a well thought, rational response from a member well informed on topic is more valuable than simple poll data, but since this is not controlled the deviation on how informed those statements are is still a wildcard. It is not always the sensible guy who talks the most. Often it is simply the person with the most free time and the most passion.How many times have we seen threads dominated by who gathered the most troops or simply insisted on the last word? Even now, it is pretty clear that nothing anyone says will matter so I will just drop it.
drewfx1
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 17:18:43 (permalink)
Anderton
drewfx1

A) Black
B) White

That's the way it works.

CNN and Fox News polls, yes. But when I did polls on Harmony Central, they were the opening post in a thread and I would hope this software allows a similar option. People could add comments if they wanted. Sometimes I changed a poll shortly after posting if it needed another option.

For my purposes (to gauge interest in a topic), any option is better than no feedback at all; and a poll is easier to manage than a thread that's a lengthy collection of essay-type replies. And if someone's opinion is indeed "black" or "white," a poll accommodates that information better than having to write a reply with that word. If the answer is "gray," don 't post in the poll, and make a comment. If needed, modify the poll to include gray.

I don't have a problem with the way you are talking about using polls Craig, but I also have confidence that you would not misuse them or grossly misinterpret the results.

But just so you know - polls expressly measure popularity and some of us are not going to bother expressing our opinions if they're on the wrong side of a popularity contest. 

Arguing an unpopular opinion is difficult enough as it is (trust me on this one ). Trying to make that argument after it's been revealed right up top that 87% of the populous already disagrees with you (regardless of whether that should have any bearing) makes it not worth the bother because you know that a great many will just dismiss your arguments without even bothering to consider them.

drewfx1
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 17:22:17 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Drew, you are still using pseudoscience yourself by continuing to use worse case hypothetical scenarios as fact.

Actually I'm not using pseudoscience at all. Psuedoscience is conjecture masquerading as science and I did no such thing.

I never stated that "all polls are bad" or any such thing. I am merely pointing out that they are ripe for misuse. And if you want some non-hypothetical real world examples of your so called "worse case hypothetical scenarios", well how many would you like? 

And you seem to wish to misconstrue my arguments for rhetorical reasons. Please stop.

dubdisciple
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 17:36:37 (permalink)
Drew., it's just not that serious so you win. I am 100% wrong. Polls have absolutely no value and you are 100% right aboit any opinion you give. Problem solved.
Splat
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 18:09:42 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Drew., it's just not that serious so you win. I am 100% wrong. Polls have absolutely no value and you are 100% right aboit any opinion you give. Problem solved.

Hmmm maybe we could conduct a poll to see who is right...

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
drewfx1
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 18:17:11 (permalink)
dubdisciple

Ah, come on.

It's just a disagreement. We both express our opinions so that they might be considered and evaluated by each other and others and that's that. No big deal.

And personally I like to think that's it's always a possibility that we're both 100% wrong.

dubdisciple
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 18:40:22 (permalink)
drewfx1
dubdisciple

Ah, come on.

It's just a disagreement. We both express our opinions so that they might be considered and evaluated by each other and others and that's that. No big deal.

And personally I like to think that's it's always a possibility that we're both 100% wrong.

agreed. You don't come off as an irrational person hellbent on being right. I just figired I would drop it so that it doesn't drag on. :)
drewfx1
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 18:59:14 (permalink)
dubdisciple
agreed. You don't come off as an irrational person hellbent on being right. I just figired I would drop it so that it doesn't drag on. :)

Yeah I think I was getting to the point anyway where on a good day I try to tell myself that:

1. I've already made several attempts to get my point across as well as I can.
2. Given that, if it hasn't been embraced by now, then belaboring it endlessly prolly won't help. 

Besides, I'm sure those of use in the CH could put polls to excellent use in our never ending pursuit of art, philosophy and higher learning in general. 

Anderton
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/31 19:58:40 (permalink)
drewfx1
dubdisciple

Yeah I think I was getting to the point anyway where on a good day I try to tell myself that:

1. I've already made several attempts to get my point across as well as I can.
2. Given that, if it hasn't been embraced by now, then belaboring it endlessly prolly won't help. 

Besides, I'm sure those of use in the CH could put polls to excellent use in our never ending pursuit of art, philosophy and higher learning in general. 

This resolution of this sub-thread is Exhibit A of why we don't need heavy-handed moderation. Most of the time this forum is self-correcting, and is almost always self-correcting among the regulars.

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/09/01 14:03:53 (permalink)
This may all be fine and well but frankly, I don't much like change unless it is truly needed. The old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", comes to mind. Then again, I know I have said things before about possibly having mods. Spammers seem to be not so much of a problem anymore and the people here are great. Now and then someone may get over excited about something but it seems to be a rare occurrence.
As far as the software forum and companies like IK posting about new products does not bother me in the least, I like it.

I've had problems ever since the "merge" with my biometrics fingerprint scanner. I am talking to egistec support to try and get a solution. Cakewalk forums are now the ONLY site I go to where the scanner icon will NEVER go off screen unless I disable the biometrics. It isn't a major problem, just an aggravation.... due to something I don't understand, but it wasn't a problem before the change and I NEVER had a problem logging into the forum or logging into my Cakewalk account. I remember reading about the reason for the merge but it hasn't really changed anything as far as my online Cakewalk experience except to cause my scanner to become an aggravation.

SO... lets be sure to thoroughly explore all the plus and minus scenarios of adding mods to the forums and I guess that is what we are doing, but (and I fully understand that I am a guest here in Cakewalk's house) do we really need more mods here? I was a member of the old HCGF back in the late 2000s, I joined in 2007. IT became the "wild west" with some users making several user accounts, starting arguments with themselves, and adding another identity to support one or the other of their alternate IDs. They would suck people in and then make fun of them. It got so bad that a user used someone's personal information to contact their employer to try and get them fired over something they posted... we are FAR FAR from that here. Just saying...

I'll go with whatever people with more sense than I have decide on.

Julien

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/09/01 16:33:55 (permalink)
Ruben
craigb
Ruben
craigb
Ruben
 If new mods can't ban then how will they eliminate spammers?

We can do it now.  Three flags as a spammer and they're gone.  Any abuse of the process is handled by a Cakewalk mod.  

IINM, this method only removes one offending post at a time - it doesn't stop a spammer from making more posts. Banning does (to a degree).

Not true!  On the third flag the poster is banned until the flagged post can be reviewed by a moderator.  Yes, you'd have to flag each spam post three times for it to disappear (and bump another topic over it so it doesn't show in the main index), but the first priority is to get three flags on any spam post to ban the offender (which is usually a bot).

Meh. Still too much effort. Most of us have better things to do (like read the Software forum) than spending our time clicking on spam. Better to let the mods ban spammers - spammer goes away, end of story. Anderton already does this... saves members' time for more creative endeavors.  

I have flagged many stammers. So have others. You don't see them because they are gone by the time you log on. A lot of us do care about the forum. 

Best
John
Anderton
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/09/01 16:42:32 (permalink)
Ruben
Meh. Still too much effort. Most of us have better things to do (like read the Software forum) than spending our time clicking on spam. Better to let the mods ban spammers - spammer goes away, end of story.

Not end of story. Spammers are relentless to the point where they sometimes are more like denial of service attacks. They often have dynamic IPs so blocking the IP doesn't make any difference. Unfortunately, constant attacks require constant counter-attacks.

Vigilant members who flag spam often stop it before the spammer finds there's an open gateway and starts pouring in thousands of messages. Personally, I'm glad these people are willing to make the minimal effort that improves the quality of life for all of us.

Splat
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/09/01 17:18:45 (permalink)
When was the last time we had spam?

Spammers are more often than not automated processes (spam bots) and therefore are pretty damn quick. Expecting mods to do the work by themselves is unreasonable unless you expect them to stay awake 24 hours a day on call and do nothing but spam management, that wouldn't really be a mod though, that would be a servant.

Magic Russ
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/09/01 21:59:57 (permalink)
We always seem to have spam over long holiday weekends, where the CW employees are gone.  I don't have any problem with someone from the community stepping in over the weekends.  Having it there for a few hours is a lot better than having it there for three days.
Page: << < ..6789 > Showing page 6 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1