Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
2014/08/27 19:21:49 (permalink)

[Announcement] Community Updates

Greetings Friends,

Today we'd like to share with you our first round of ideas for some changes to the forum and get your feedback. We understand that many of you call this home so we want to give everyone time to provide input or point out any horrible ideas we may have conjured up. 

Re-Organization
It's been awhile since we last re-organized the forums and it's long overdue for some spring cleaning. The below outline is our proposed new structure. Please note the names are by no means final just a rough outline of what we are thinking.

Products
 - SONAR Producer, Studio, Essential & Base
 - Music Creator
 - Cakewalk Instruments
 - Cakewalk Hardware (including V-Studio, Audio & MIDI devices)
 - Classic Cakewalk (including pyro, Pro Audio, Kinetic & Project5)

Feedback Loop *
 - Features & Ideas
 - Problem Reports
 - Forum Discussion
 - Cakewalk Store

Community
 - Coffee House
 - Songs
 - Mixing, Production, & Studio Techniques
 - Audio Software, Hardware & DAW Building

Moderation changes
We have been kicking around this idea internally for awhile but we'd like to find a more effective way at keeping conversation on-topic, civil and helpful to the community. As hard as we try - there just isn't enough of us to fully provide the support that the community deserves. 

We'd like to introduce community moderators.

Deep breaths.

All forums, with the exception of 'Cakewalk store' would be moderated by members of the community. We would work with the moderation team to write a FAQ for each forum that summarizes what can and cannot be posted in that forum as well as expectations and etiquette. Here is what we are thinking, please let us know what you think.

1] A small group of handpicked by Cakewalk community members will be invited on a trial-basis to moderate specific parts of the forum
2] We would like to intentionally start with a small group as a kind of trial-run to work out the kinks
3] A private forum will be setup just for this group so that they:
 a) can bring major issues to the attention of Cakewalk staff
 b) have a place to discuss moderation policy
4] Once the kinks are worked out with the moderation process we'd like to explore alternative means of promoting moderators, community elections or appointment by some measure of helpfulness etc.

* Feedback Loop Addendum
Features & Ideas
We would like to make it easier to consolidate ideas from the community and provide some means of gauging how much the community does or does not support an idea. The forum has some voting features we are looking into enabling in this section.

Community moderators would:
 a] Merge duplicate ideas.
 b] Lock/remove rants or posts that don't include enough information for us to act on.
 c] Relocate product-specific questions to the appropriate forum.
 d] Work with contributors to ensure that any proposed idea is fleshed out and something a developer at Cakewalk could just pick up and start prototyping.

Problem Reports

We want it to be easier for the community to collaborate on common problems that may crop up in our products. This happens today but it can get very chaotic and difficult to keep track of.

Community moderators would:
 a] Lock/remove rants or posts that don't include helpful information to resolve a problem.
 b] Merge and consolidate duplicate reports.
 c] Manage feedback and nudge contributors to provide helpful repro cases.
 d] Ensure that for any reproducible, verified issue on the forum that there is an associated CWBRN ID in our tracking system.

Forum Discussion
Basically a place to discuss forum-specific issues or problems.

Cakewalk Store
This is a revival of an old forum that we used to have that we'd like to bring back. This forum would be specifically for users having an issue with the store or their Cakewalk account.

post edited by Willy Jones [Cakewalk] - 2014/08/27 22:22:15

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
bayoubill
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 19:29:19 (permalink)
It would really help to bring back the ability to take a screen shot of a problem and post it from our PC's. In some cases a picture is worth a 1000 words and can provide someone a solution much faster. Also, having a unique Avatar would be nice too 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

twoifbysea
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 19:34:30 (permalink)
I like it. Do it. 

System: HP Pavilion 450t. Windows 10 Home x64, Intel i7 870: 2.93 Ghz, 8G RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
DAW: Sonar Platinum 
Audio Interface: Akai EIE Pro
Midi Controller: Presonus FaderPort 
Midi Keyboard: M-Audio Axiom 49

https://1208audio.com
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 19:38:23 (permalink)
No Coffee House?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 19:56:02 (permalink)
I don't think they know some of us are always using Sonar even when we are in the CH fooling around but I'm always working on something. The Coffee House is on my screen when I'm taking a break etc. but some probably complain it's a waste of time and a not Sonar related. I have to say a lot of collaborations go on here under the water so to speak that most don't know about. It would be a shame if the Coffee House went away. The Coffee House maintains a SONAR comradery that is unique in ANY forum!
post edited by bayoubill - 2014/08/27 20:09:50

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 20:09:05 (permalink)
I like the idea of community moderators. I'm assuming the omission of the Coffee House was an oversight. If not, I'm gone. I doubt I speak for only myself.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 20:13:36 (permalink)
Yeah, hopefully the CH stays intact.

One suggestion for community mods is something I see used on other sites. Give the user visible mod status if that's the direction you'd like to go but also allow them to click something in their profile or tools or whatever to switch over to a nondescript Moderator account. That way if they need to post something in a thread to calm down a fight it won't turn into a game of favorites, grudges or hurt feelings.

Just a thought. Seems to work well elsewhere.
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 20:18:29 (permalink)
The CH is the part of the forums that connects Cakewalk/Sonar to music and life in general in ways that cannot be categorized.

It seems rather shortsighted to have forums related to products designed to (we hope) facilitate artistic expression having no appropriate casual sub-forum for the discussion music, art or life - only products.

Or does Cakewalk no longer wish to facilitate artists and it's products are now only designed for purely commercial use?

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 20:38:48 (permalink)
A few thoughts...

I think the proposed streamlining will make the forums much more relevant.

Moderators? Well, I don't think it's necessary to take a deep breath. Compared to what's out there Cakewalk's forums are remarkably civilized. I suspect any moderators will deal more with organization and moving to places where threads will get the most attention, as opposed to policing actions. 

I love the idea of a separate forum for problem reports. Sometimes people post valuable input on some kind of problem that gets lost when it ends up being post #74 on page 5 of a thread. However I think to be effective, this is where moderation would really come into play to merge duplicate topics and encourage people to provide more information about a problem. I've seen these kinds of forums for other companies and when done poorly, they're whinefests that accomplish nothing but when done well, they make huge contributions by centralizing data and soliciting useful input from the community.

As to the Coffee House, off-topic forums are always a hot potato...but people are people, not just software users. Having a place for off-topic posts also keeps those posts out of the main forums. One option is to make them password-protected so forum regulars can get in, while keeping out the +91 Swami Babaji types and trolls. (We had to do that with the political forum at Harmony Central because people who had zero interest in music but did have political agendas would ruin it for everyone). Really, it's up to you guys...it's always difficult to decide the best way to handle off-topic forums, but I think it's probably worth retaining. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 20:58:22 (permalink)
I think versions of Sonar/Cakewalk before X1 should be stuck into one single forum, Sonar X Series should be in another.

Also Coffee house should be renamed 'Cake hole'.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 21:12:08 (permalink)
Ah sorry for US folks 'Cake Hole' means 'mouth'.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 22:29:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/08/27 22:50:50
Rain
No Coffee House?

That was a mistake - fixed it.

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
wrkactjob
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 159
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/27 23:38:36 (permalink)
Looks good. +1 on some spam/troll filter at CH door.
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 00:07:58 (permalink)
Major problem with MS forums is the moderators (MVP: most valued pinheads?) most often mark their posts as "answers," which are often just boiler-plate c r a p.

Although the points idiocy has been changed, there is still some kind of reward system. Just plain stupid.

You want points for posts go to a gaming forum. At least go be with others who think the forum is the reason for your existence.

AND:::::::::::::

It is WAY annoying to be searching for answers and find posts marked as answered when they are not.

It may make MS appear to be responsive to users pleas for help, but really it just increases my sense of disgust and distrust.  "Oh look, 90% of users' questions are answered."  NOT good business. 1984 double speak: distortion of mutual reality.

Forum moderators should NEVER be allowed to mark any response as an answer. ONLY the OP should be allowed to identify what actually was useful.

Get rid of this BRONZE, PLATINUM,.... member stuff.  "Oh look, the poster must know something cuz his post count is in the thousands."   BAPU knows lots of good stuff but most of his 11855 posts are not relevant to CW products. What is the point of his "PLATINUM" badge as it relates to providing knowledge and helpfulness?

"Reward points 0"   What is the point of this?

No post counts
No reward points
No badges of metal

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 00:19:09 (permalink)
jm24
Forum moderators should NEVER be allowed to mark any response as an answer. ONLY the OP should be allowed to identify what actually was useful.

The problem with that is there's no guarantee that after the problem's solved, the person will come back and mark it answered. Sometimes they'll even say in the thread "thanks, that solved my problem" but not indicate the issue was solved or answered. This makes it more difficult for the people who need to find answers to the same problem.

As to moderators, the proposal is for people from the community, not people who have a vested interest in trying to make Cakewalk look good so I don't think you'd have "the Microsoft effect."

The points thing is highly variable. I've seen some forums use point systems really effectively for sorting answers for knowledge base articles and such, whereas others are b.s. popularity contests and no one participates in them.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 00:40:15 (permalink)
I am a bit strident about moderator abuse cuz I am tired of the hours of reading "answers" that are not.

But, I agree about the low percentage of OP follow-on. So, as long as we are able to designate an official moderator assassin, who has true diplomatic immunity, and the requisite skills, to effect complete elimination, and thereby are enabled to enforce proper behavior, I am with you.

-----------------------

Lose ALL points, and post counts, and rewards,....   I find no value in these tallies. None of which enhance my happiness with forum posts. Must be my age (I am 62 years old), but I have never found a reason to keep "score" when not engaged in a game. And often, in games, score keeping interfered with, and reduced, the actual fun of the activity.

I stopped running SETI, Einstein,...partly because I found the focus on points, and competition, to be totally antithetical to scientific exploration.

Keeping and displaying this type of data is irrelevant in these types of forums.

Have the CH keep points, ONLY for CH posts. Some persons over there no doubt can find a reason for most anything. I do not frequent that tavern. Just too busy.

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 01:13:36 (permalink)
If Cakewalk cannot provide moderator support then considering forum members to do it seems like the only viable choice.  I would prefer the moderators be Cakewalk employees because they are the ones who write the TOS and have the means to help fix issues when they come up.  I have had experience with other forums where non-employees were the moderators and they can sometimes over moderate!  

Nothing is perfect.  However, if everyone would simply follow the TOS, we would not have to be moderated at all when it comes to sexual content, vulgarity, hatred, disrespect, politics, name calling, etc...
Sadly, even though most forumites are respectful of others, fights can start and words can fly and then threads get deleted or locked.  Moderators are necessary to ensure that the TOS is respected but I don't think Cake has had time to devote to this.  It is a tough spot to be in for sure.  To improve, I do like that they are considering different folks for different forum sections.  I don't think a few could cover the whole place.  It will take time to develop.  The guideline has to be clearly written so that everyone is treated equally and fairly.  Cake will have to moderate the moderators as well.

I don't want the Coffee House to be changed because it has evolved into a very unique group.  I am not a regular contributor here but I spend a good amount of time seeing what's up with personal side of life that can be funny and sad. As long as everyone is welcomed to participate, I hope this place continues as it has.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 02:32:14 (permalink)
These forums have been very helpful to me over the years, thanks to a comparatively small number of members who have both the knowledge and the willingness to lend a hand. If Cakewalk needs to farm out moderation in order to keep the forums going, that's OK with me. If it doesn't work out, i.e., it alienates the most productive members and therefore makes the forum less useful, I would hope Cakewalk would step in and change it again. I have always gotten good technical help from fellow users here, and that's my only requirement. As long as that constant remains, change is good -- bring it on. I won't be a moderator, though.

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 03:01:09 (permalink)
There are forums other than the Coffee House? 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 03:11:56 (permalink)
A wise man once said, "it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission". Make the changes that are ultimately going to be made.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Hemul
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 03:56:08 (permalink)
Community moderators have worked very well in many forums I have used. Definitely worth giving it a try. Just keep coming here anyway, Cakewalkers!

I THINK it would make sense to keep separate forums for current versions of SONAR / MC, and one for legacy versions. Helps avoid confusion. Just name them "Sonar X3" and "Sonar legacy forum", or something like that thats very clear ?

Sonar X3 (studio, Steam distribution) / Music Creator 6 touch (Steam distribution). Rapture & Dimension Pro. Win 7 x64. 8 GB RAM.  CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K. System HD: 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD. Program / Project HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. Audio interface: Tascam US 122 MKII. Onboard sound: Realtek ALC887.
FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 07:02:11 (permalink)
I think that this is a good idea.  The forum moderators, except for the tech questions, should be a cross breed of users.

jm24

Lose ALL points, and post counts, and rewards,....   I find no value in these tallies. None of which enhance my happiness with forum posts. Must be my age (I am 62 years old), but I have never found a reason to keep "score" when not engaged in a game. And often, in games, score keeping interfered with, and reduced, the actual fun of the activity.

I agree with jm24 on this topic.  I will be 62 in November and feel the same way. 

Thank you for your time.

Clint

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 08:23:50 (permalink)
I'd like to see Audio Hardware & DAW Building be kept separate from Software.

In the software forum there are about 20+ threads a day from people or companies noting new products or deals (which is great, btw) which will drown out the hardware and DAW threads that are often very informative.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 09:52:43 (permalink)
jm24
Major problem with MS forums is the moderators (MVP: most valued pinheads?) most often mark their posts as "answers," which are often just boiler-plate c r a p.

Although the points idiocy has been changed, there is still some kind of reward system. Just plain stupid.

You want points for posts go to a gaming forum. At least go be with others who think the forum is the reason for your existence.

AND:::::::::::::

It is WAY annoying to be searching for answers and find posts marked as answered when they are not.

It may make MS appear to be responsive to users pleas for help, but really it just increases my sense of disgust and distrust.  "Oh look, 90% of users' questions are answered."  NOT good business. 1984 double speak: distortion of mutual reality.

Get rid of this BRONZE, PLATINUM,.... member stuff.  "Oh look, the poster must know something cuz his post count is in the thousands."   BAPU knows lots of good stuff but most of his 11855 posts are not relevant to CW products. What is the point of his "PLATINUM" badge as it relates to providing knowledge and helpfulness?

"Reward points 0"   What is the point of this?

No post counts
No reward points
No badges of metal

"Why's everybody always pickin' on me?" ~Charlie Brown, The Coasters
bapu
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 09:53:30 (permalink)
A moderator would probably redact that post jm24.

bapu
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 09:53:49 (permalink)
Hey, can I be a moderator?

bapu
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 09:57:33 (permalink)
Freeze post counts once I hit a 100K.

Should only take a week.
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 10:15:16 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your feedback so far. 

RE: points/reputation - we don't plan on addressing this yet. The only area we are interested in playing with new forum features is the idea's section we are proposing where we'd like to try out the voting. Realistically if we ever did go to a more reputation-based (and it would be reputation not arbitrary points) model we would look to something like StackOverflow/StackExchange as a model. I've had rough experiences with the microsoft support forums as well and wouldn't consider that a good fit for this community.

In the software forum there are about 20+ threads a day from people or companies noting new products or deals (which is great, btw) which will drown out the hardware and DAW threads that are often very informative.

This is a good point - going forward I'm not sure that we'll actually allow these types of posts on our forum. Let's face it, KVR is a much better source of information for this type of info and we've already seen a few incidents with representatives of another company getting into arguments with users on our forum. The DAW and hardware sections are useful complements to our products. The software forum is starting to smell a lot more like a spam bin/advertising bulletin board.

There is a lot of good discussion around software that is valid and helpful to users.  Would it make sense to limit the scope of conversation to discussion about compatibility/tools/features of a software product and not allow advertisements or promotions?
post edited by Willy Jones [Cakewalk] - 2014/08/28 11:04:29

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 10:16:16 (permalink)
bapu

Hey, can I be a moderator?

Every coffee house needs a barista

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: [Announcement] Community Updates 2014/08/28 10:19:41 (permalink)
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
I've had rough experiences with the microsoft support forums as well ...

Having been a programmer for over 43 years now, I can't help but get a good laugh when I see the words "Microsoft" and "support" in the same sentence!  Hehe...

I think the overall direction this is headed looks good! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1