Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/03 23:27:31 (permalink)
Yes I'm aware that some users are having problems. I'm not pretending they aren't but you said there are "numerous things in this release don't work on anybody's machines".

I'm genuinely asking what they are? I've not used Audiosnap yet but I'm assuming that doesn't or won't work for me. I'll find out if/when I need it. But I haven't personally come across anything that "doesn't work". A fair smattering of bugs granted but there's a big difference between bugs and not working.

Having said that there are parts of the program I never use. Staff view being one of them for example, so if that doesn't work I wouldn't know about it.

Perhaps Scott can reply with what doesn't work on anybody's machines? I can't recall him ever saying something like that but of course I don't read every post, perhaps I missed it/them?

I expect I'll get labelled fanboi now for not having problems, perhaps I'd better find some..........

The GUI of course is a matter of personal preference but to me it's a tool not a work of art. I can't say I'm a fan of any of the Sonar 'looks' so far.

It's not a "my version is better than yours" game. If X1 didn't work for me I'd be using 8.5, I'm not a masochist. Thing is it does work for me and while I can accept it doesn't work for some it seems that 'some' can't accept it does work for me. Threads then degenerate into childish name calling rather than trying to work out why it is ok for some and not others.

Anyway humour me, which aspects don't or won't work on my machine?
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/03 23:40:29 (permalink)
To the OP - 99 bucks for a major upgrade is a steal, even if it needs work. 
how much does it cost to upgrade pro tools?

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/03 23:51:45 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Yes I'm aware that some users are having problems. I'm not pretending they aren't but you said there are "numerous things in this release don't work on anybody's machines".

I'm genuinely asking what they are? I've not used Audiosnap yet but I'm assuming that doesn't or won't work for me. I'll find out if/when I need it. But I haven't personally come across anything that "doesn't work". A fair smattering of bugs granted but there's a big difference between bugs and not working.

Having said that there are parts of the program I never use. Staff view being one of them for example, so if that doesn't work I wouldn't know about it.

Perhaps Scott can reply with what doesn't work on anybody's machines? I can't recall him ever saying something like that but of course I don't read every post, perhaps I missed it/them?

I expect I'll get labelled fanboi now for not having problems, perhaps I'd better find some..........

The GUI of course is a matter of personal preference but to me it's a tool not a work of art. I can't say I'm a fan of any of the Sonar 'looks' so far.

It's not a "my version is better than yours" game. If X1 didn't work for me I'd be using 8.5, I'm not a masochist. Thing is it does work for me and while I can accept it doesn't work for some it seems that 'some' can't accept it does work for me. Threads then degenerate into childish name calling rather than trying to work out why it is ok for some and not others.

He's just screwing with you now Randy.

If he doesn't understand by now what people are trying to say, he never will.

He's not a fanboi, he's, well, dare I say it? Barnsey got away with calling me one, I see no reason why I can't use the word too. Nah, I hadn't better.

:)

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 00:19:26 (permalink)
rbowser

FastBikerBoy

What are these 'numerous' things that don't work?...

My dear FastBikerBoy - I don't know how you think your reply can possibly be taken seriously.  This Forum is full of extremely redundant reports of the same problems that X1 one has.  It would be absurd to recount them yet once again just because you want to pretend you're not aware of X1's problems, which have often been acknowledged by Mr. Sonar himself, Scott Garrigus.

It will be a very fine day when--if??--Cakewalk fixes this botched release, because then we'll be able to carry on with more fruitful discussions.

Meanwhile--It's not as if I'm unable to make recordings with X1.  Of course I can, but with a crazy amount of work-arounds that make it a painful process compared to what I'm still able to do in 8.5.  That's why to me it's still just something to experiment with and poke at.  It's impossible for me to take it seriously--It's obviously an unfinished program.   I'll carry on with that version until this one is fixed.  That's all.  --Have fun dodging the problems and staring at that hideous kindergarten level GUI.

Randy B.
I'm looking at this post and thinking...."And yet....IT LIVES!!!!"    

I think it does work on SOME peoples systems...I said SOME...just because it does work on some peoples system does not mean..nor SHOULD it mean...that it is perfect...no one has said that. 

As for the kindergarten GUI comment...well...since when did we suddenly become aesthetes here?      

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 00:39:28 (permalink)
trimph1

...since when did we suddenly become aesthetes here?...

Trimph, FastBikerBoy et al - You're my fellow Sonar Forum members, and I bear none of you ill-will.  I also get embarrassed at us seeming to divide into camps over X1, or anything else you can name.  When it gets down to it, I'm sure what we all really want to do is keeping making our music. 

And so, since this Forum is littered with the posts that spell out the many problems in X1, more than a few written by acknowledged experts, I just can't be dragged into rehashing it all again.  I'd find it an undignified thing to do at this point.

But, this one thing I've pulled out in quotes - "when did we suddenly become aesthetes?..."---I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the answer, Trimph, is---a long, long time ago.  The aesthetics of an interface are of major importance to everyone, even when they aren't fully conscious of that - and, IMHO, X1 looks like it was a sketched in stand-in that wasn't meant for publication.  I can't comprehend how its blocky, over-sized, flat, bland, zero-aesthetic "design" was by choice.  I guess we have to believe it was, but it's beyond me that a panel at Cakewalk gave an OK to what looks to me like something which was supposed to only stand in for the Real interface. ---But, that's the least of X1's problems.

So long for now.

Randy B.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 01:11:44 (permalink)

wow.  let's see how offensive we can be by stereotyping everyone in a particular country to a particular behavior.   This is completely inappropriate.

this is a software forum.  why do people feel the need to bash each other or their nationality over a piece of software?

My apology - I'll refrain from sharing my Outside Topic opinions here. Everyone is entitled to their forum posts, I agree. But my opinion still stands :O)

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 04:11:03 (permalink)
Bub

FastBikerBoy

He's not a fanboi, he's, well, dare I say it? Barnsey got away with calling me one, I see no reason why I can't use the word too. Nah, I hadn't better.

My intellect obviously isn't as high as most on here apparently. I'll type this slowly and see if that helps.

I understand LOTS of people are having LOTS of various problems. I have got that bit..............

I know there are more than a few bugs. There are a LOT of bugs. I have got that bit..............

The bit I have trouble understanding is........... so can someone please tell me which "numerous things in this release don't work on anybody's machines"?.......... pretty please......

All I have been told so far is "since this Forum is littered with the posts that spell out the many problems in X1, more than a few written by acknowledged experts, I just can't be dragged into rehashing it all again."

I know that, I'm not disputing that, I understand that.............

I'm disputing that "it doesn't work on anybody's machine". It seems to work on mine, and I can't be alone can I? Is there anyone else out there??

Call me akward, fanboi, or what you implied Bub, but I'm afraid I never have been or will have a sheep mentality. If someone states something that I think is wrong I always have and will question it. Isn't that what people should do?

Somewhere on here the other day one user commented that it "works for him" and that comment was dismissed as irrelevant. I think the fact that it works for some is in fact quite relevant. Just as relevant as the fact that it doesn't work for some. Or at least it's relevant to those that want to at some point work with X1. Of course it matters not one iota if the plan is to stay on 8.x. If "works for me" is irrelevant then the statement "doesn't work for me" must be too. Plainly that isn't true either.

If I commented that "X1 works great on everyone's system" which it quite obviously doesn''t (See I have GOT that bit) - I would expect to get questioned about the wisdom of that statement - undoubtedly on here where a higher intellect rules I'd also be called childish names, but I digress...........

All I'm doing is questioning the opposite statement that it doesn't work for anybody. I'm afraid for me it does. That's not an 'up yours' line although I don't doubt it will be taken as such. I spend a fair amount of my time on here, more than is healthy probably, trying to help others out and asking for help when I need it.

Unfortunately this once great forum of helpful and informative threads has degenerated into a forum full of childish "Doesn't work - Oh yes it does - Oh no it doesn't" threads which ironically I am now contributing too.

Tell you what I'll no longer question the validity of false statements, there'll be no need to ridicule me instead of answer the question, although I suspect I know why no one is answering it. - I ask for nothing in return.............

I just hope there aren't too many disappointed people come X1b - I won't be as long as many. if not all of the bugs, are fixed, but if it's plain 'broken' as claimed I don't see that being fixed.

Maybe it is the extra 40% I paid for it?
post edited by FastBikerBoy - 2011/02/04 04:16:23
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 13:22:52 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

Bub

FastBikerBoy

My intellect obviously isn't as high as most on here apparently. I'll type this slowly and see if that helps.

I understand LOTS of people are having LOTS of various problems. I have got that bit..............

I know there are more than a few bugs. There are a LOT of bugs. I have got that bit..............

The bit I have trouble understanding is........... so can someone please tell me which "numerous things in this release don't work on anybody's machines"?.......... pretty please......

All I have been told so far is "since this Forum is littered with the posts that spell out the many problems in X1, more than a few written by acknowledged experts, I just can't be dragged into rehashing it all again."

I know that, I'm not disputing that, I understand that.............

I'm disputing that "it doesn't work on anybody's machine". It seems to work on mine, and I can't be alone can I? Is there anyone else out there??

Call me akward, fanboi, or what you implied Bub, but I'm afraid I never have been or will have a sheep mentality. If someone states something that I think is wrong I always have and will question it. Isn't that what people should do?

Somewhere on here the other day one user commented that it "works for him" and that comment was dismissed as irrelevant. I think the fact that it works for some is in fact quite relevant. Just as relevant as the fact that it doesn't work for some. Or at least it's relevant to those that want to at some point work with X1. Of course it matters not one iota if the plan is to stay on 8.x. If "works for me" is irrelevant then the statement "doesn't work for me" must be too. Plainly that isn't true either.

If I commented that "X1 works great on everyone's system" which it quite obviously doesn''t (See I have GOT that bit) - I would expect to get questioned about the wisdom of that statement - undoubtedly on here where a higher intellect rules I'd also be called childish names, but I digress...........

All I'm doing is questioning the opposite statement that it doesn't work for anybody. I'm afraid for me it does. That's not an 'up yours' line although I don't doubt it will be taken as such. I spend a fair amount of my time on here, more than is healthy probably, trying to help others out and asking for help when I need it.

Unfortunately this once great forum of helpful and informative threads has degenerated into a forum full of childish "Doesn't work - Oh yes it does - Oh no it doesn't" threads which ironically I am now contributing too.

Tell you what I'll no longer question the validity of false statements, there'll be no need to ridicule me instead of answer the question, although I suspect I know why no one is answering it. - I ask for nothing in return.............

I just hope there aren't too many disappointed people come X1b - I won't be as long as many. if not all of the bugs, are fixed, but if it's plain 'broken' as claimed I don't see that being fixed.

Maybe it is the extra 40% I paid for it?
There are parts of X1 that are broken. Even the admin have come here and acknowledged that, even you have (read above), so I don't know why you keep asking what's broken?

Just because you don't use those parts and never see those problems, doesn't mean they aren't there. And when you and others say, X1 is working fine for me, remember that there are people reading who don't own X1 who are trying to decide if they want to plop down $400 for it, and are being misled by your comments. And when stratman said that Cake will fix it for free, we all know that's an absolute lie. I've yet to have a version of Sonar that was bug free that has been 'fixed' for free. I've always had to live with it or pay for a new version.

There's been at least 2 things that are broken in X1 mentioned in this thread. Go back and read ...

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
KeithS
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 16:34:27 (permalink)
crandallwarren

Here's my two cents:

I feel like $99 is a bit steep to upgrade 

Hell, I've spent more money on a dinner for two at Emeril's and a day or two later I'm looking at it in a porcelin bowl. 

Keith
SONAR X1d Producer Expanded (64 bit), Waves Platinum  
Home built PC Intel i7 2600K, ASUS P8P67 MoBo
16 Gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
TASCAM FW-1884
EEE-1394 Legacy driver
PNY GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card 
2 ASUS V249H LED Monitors.

blakjustice30
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/04 16:52:23 (permalink)
They should run a deal that if you pay 'x' dollars, you get free upgrades forever. FL studio does that with their product and I love it.

M~BLAK,

Windows 7 64Bit /Multi Core/ 4 Gig Ram/1TB HD
Sonar X1 Studio
Protools LE
FL 10 Producer Edition

Avalon 737 SP Compressor 
M-Audio Ultra 8   
Presonus Digital Mixer
M Audio Ultra 8 (Interface)
Waves Diamond Bundle (and a host of midi controllers, synths and other outboard compressers and Mic preamps and  )

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/05 02:41:29 (permalink)

Bub

There are parts of X1 that are broken. Even the admin have come here and acknowledged that, even you have (read above), so I don't know why you keep asking what's broken?

Just because you don't use those parts and never see those problems, doesn't mean they aren't there. And when you and others say, X1 is working fine for me, remember that there are people reading who don't own X1 who are trying to decide if they want to plop down $400 for it, and are being misled by your comments. And when stratman said that Cake will fix it for free, we all know that's an absolute lie. I've yet to have a version of Sonar that was bug free that has been 'fixed' for free. I've always had to live with it or pay for a new version.

There's been at least 2 things that are broken in X1 mentioned in this thread. Go back and read ...

I guess it's all a matter of terminology and perspective then. I find X1 very usable, buggy yes but not unusable as many find it. My question wasn't what was broken, but what "numerous things in this release don't work on anybody's machines" may I suggest you take your own advice an re-read what has been written.

In the language I speak "numerous" means lots and lots, "don't work" means what it says, doesn't work. If the statement had been "there are numerous bugs that everybody acknowledges" I'd agree with that but that has a totally different meaning. I still don't know what "doesn't work" - has bugs yes but doesn't work as in completely broken? I don't see it, again that may be my "cup's half full" perspective.

I'm going to try to keep my nose out of all these negative threads in future. As I said earlier I can accept it doesn't work for some, it seems that some can't accept it does work for others. As soon as I say it is working for me someone rolls up, in this case you, to imply that I may not have all my faculties. I guess that says more about you than it does me though.

I also seem to be in a slightly different position to you. If I'm not happy I can simply move on to something that does work whereas you're apparently tied in and have "always had to live with it or pay for a new version." I can appreciate now why you are more upset than me, at least I have a choice.

Anyway I'm going to run away with my tail between my legs now and get on making music with my buggy but working version of X1 and stick to the threads that others may find useful. Sorry to have intruded into the wallowing.
alexisrael
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/05 03:18:52 (permalink)
Thanks, Randy, for your time replying to posts by others. besides X1 is an unfinished product (no matter how big musicians made most anticipated crime game ever, well everyone is a kind of Big in certain surroundings)) I simply do not need X1. I got Sonar Producer 8.5.3 in September 2010, additionally got all Elite (then 8.5) sounds and have everything I need to have deluxe creativity flight for long.

Presently I am exploring the ways of new generation music delivery, and X1 show no sign of addressing this issue. While i think 99$ upgrade price would be fair I do not see a single feature of a product to upgrade. Such a single feature for me could be, for example, making music audio DVD with full surround 5.1

Have fun watching my latest music video with my love song on melody of Yes it is by the Beatles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBq9GifzkvM

Why I love Sonar?

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=2001059&mpage=1#2001998

No longer impressed by Alan Parsons/Led Zeppelin tone. With tools from Cakewalk I can make more impressive sound. Should I compete? No.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/05 06:20:27 (permalink)
"Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive?" The simple answer is no.

Best
John
trimph1
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/05 06:55:33 (permalink)
I was going to add a signature that I have on a certain other forum that goes....

"any argument carried to extremes will eventually turn to semantics"...Curson's Law  

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
crandallwarren
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 20:38:54 (permalink)
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your responses. It's been very insightful. It's great to know that Cakewalk still has so many rabid supporters, myself among them. I have to admit, I have loved always loved Sonar. I've tried the other big names and I always end up coming back to it.

But, I suppose my larger question is, why is it acceptable for a non-beta product, released at full price, to have any bugs at all? In fact, I feel like the word bugs has gotten bent out of shape. Bugs are tiny mistakes in the code that occasionally manifest themselves under illogical circumstances. What we're talking about is main features simply not working.

Did no one in Cakewalk's quality control department use audiosnap and say, "hey, you know what? This isn't ready."

I was recently talking with a friend who is a Protools user and I was mentioning that the update to X1 is so tempting, but not with all the bugs people are reporting. His reply was, "That's one thing about ProTools. When they release something, its rock solid."

Why isn't that the standard? You buy a car- it drives. You buy a guitar- it plays. Why is this any different?

Again, I love Cakewalk and want to use X1. So, if come X1b, these horror stories turn around, I will be the first one to purchase.

All I'm saying is that, if a company describes a product as professional, shouldn't that carry the notion that 100% of its functions will work 99.9% of the time?

Crg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 20:41:31 (permalink)
Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive?

No.

Craig DuBuc
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 20:46:24 (permalink)
i thought it was free?...o..wait thats the patch..hehe
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 20:47:47 (permalink)
No. I don't.

I skipped from S7 PE to X1 and paid 150 bucks. CW isn't a charity and making something like a DAW that has Sooooo many different things interacting, on Sooo many different computers, different plugs, different interfaces... just so much stuff has got to be a real BEAR to develop and make work. In fact that they are able to fix all the bigs and hiccups as soon as they do is outstanding. They have to make money, andthey have to make enough money to attract and keep some really talented people, then the retailers have to make a buck. Heck no... i'm not unhappy with Cakewalk. I have the freedom to go a different route and so does everyone else.. and there is cheaper software. I hope to add a VS-100 and an A-500 keyboard in the future. I hope CWis charging enough to pay their people well.

JB

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
chuckebaby
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 20:50:12 (permalink)
crandallwarren

Did no one in Cakewalk's quality control department use audiosnap and say, "hey, you know what? This isn't ready."

I was recently talking with a friend who is a Protools user and I was mentioning that the update to X1 is so tempting, but not with all the bugs people are reporting. His reply was, "That's one thing about ProTools. When they release something, its rock solid." 

chuckebaby
sorry but your wrong there.."rock solid hu? 
HELP! - Major Pro Tools bugs. - Avid Audio Forums

post edited by chuckebaby - 2011/02/09 20:55:22
A1MixMan
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1706
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 21:37:03 (permalink)
$99 is a bargin. This is professional audio software after all. Until you actually have it, you won't understand. It's well worth the upgrade price. No offense, but if $40 or $50 is gonna break the bank you may want to get a different hobby. Besides, however long you've owned 8.5 is irrelevant, as it's been over a year between upgrades. In past years to upgrade, it was well over $100.
post edited by A1MixMan - 2011/02/09 21:39:44

A1
ScottBenson
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 22:08:32 (permalink)
It's not the $99 that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on X1, so my answer would be no. I don't think it's too expensive. 
giankap
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 22:20:15 (permalink)

"That's one thing about ProTools. When they release something, its rock solid."

your friend was simple lying. Just visit the pro tools forum and see for yourself.

And yes I agree with you that a newly released product should be bug free but that's simply impossible. WHY? Because then every software manufacturer would have to test the software using any possible MB, CPU, RAM, HDD, Graphics Card, Audio Interface combination and make sure it works the same before releasing!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
giankap
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 22:22:54 (permalink)

Why isn't that the standard? You buy a car- it drives. You buy a guitar- it plays. Why is this any different?

Because when you buy a car you don't get to choose. You can't say, hey guys I love the motor of this car, please use the design form this car, then the wheels form that car, the tires from that car, the living room of that car etch. you buy the concept.

If cakewalk will say "so guys here is our new DAW, in order to run with no problems, you'll need, this tower, this MB, that CPU, this operation system, this amount of RAM from that manufacturer, this HDD, and this audio interface. Only then you can buy something and you'll never have any problems!

WHAT WOULD YOU SAY???
post edited by giankap - 2011/02/09 22:27:56

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/09 22:50:02 (permalink)
A1MixMan

$99 is a bargin. This is professional audio software after all. Until you actually have it, you won't understand. It's well worth the upgrade price. No offense, but if $40 or $50 is gonna break the bank you may want to get a different hobby. Besides, however long you've owned 8.5 is irrelevant, as it's been over a year between upgrades. In past years to upgrade, it was well over $100.

I doubt if the actual price is an issue for very many people, not on the face of it.  The point is this Cakewalk release has to be the most botched one in the company's history, and so any price is too much, because it's still not ready for release. 

It'll be great when it's actually up and running properly.  Then it'll be worth whatever the market can bear.  But until then, it's not even worth the upgrade price we've paid.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors
crandallwarren
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/10 00:40:46 (permalink)
Ok ya'll,

I'm going to make this my last post on this topic. Like I said before, definitely opened up a can of worms.

As I said before, I really appreciate your thoughts. Many of us have made mention of the fact that we've been "with" sonar for some time and that we have every intention of staying with Sonar. I certainly do.

I suppose maybe we can all look at X1 a bit like experimental plane it was named after- that  it's less of a final destination in and of itself and more of a declaration of the new direction  that Cakewalk can and should go in.

Perhaps then, we can all look at this $99 as the purchase of a bond, investing in that new direction. I'm down with that. Provided of course, that Cakewalk makes good on that faith, and does so in a way that honors the money we've all already invested.

Thanks for your thoughts!
chuckebaby
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/10 01:07:11 (permalink)
i sold my mini bike to get x1...and it was worth every last cent....love it like a glove it.
trimph1
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/10 07:03:26 (permalink)
I spent about $1100 just getting a couple of parts for my car...

Bushpianos
Rothchild
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1479
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/10 07:31:33 (permalink)
If cakewalk will say "so guys here is our new DAW, in order to run with no problems, you'll need, this tower, this MB, that CPU, this operation system, this amount of RAM from that manufacturer, this HDD, and this audio interface. Only then you can buy something and you'll never have any problems! WHAT WOULD YOU SAY???

Awesome!

Many people have asked for this for quite some time, if it means you're guaranteed a stable system then why not? It's basicly what Pro-tools built their business out of.

No Problems you say? None at all? Why wouldn't this be a good thng?

Child
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/10 07:33:49 (permalink)
Reconcile this:

"Anyone else feel the X1 upgrade is too Expensive?" - NO! Great value for money, the Pro channel alone is worth the upgrade price.

"What's your biggest waste of money in the last 18 months" - The upgrade to Sonar X1. It crashes constantly, trashed my 8.5 setup, and took me DAYS to get back to square 1

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
Re:Anyone else feel that the X1 Upgrade is too expensive? 2011/02/10 07:58:26 (permalink)
chuckebaby

sorry but your wrong there.."rock solid hu? 
HELP! - Major Pro Tools bugs. - Avid Audio Forums

You couldn't find anything better than a 1998 thread to prove your point? And not just any 1998 thread, one where it turns out that the problem was a wrong BIOS setting and had nothing to do with PT. LOL

UnderTow
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1