Helpful ReplyArtist Customer Support

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 01:58:08 (permalink)
The only thing I want free is one more post.

But... Willy giveth and Willy taketh away (at least in my case).

But hey, post count matters not to Bapu/ThatOrEd, bless his heart.

So, I takes what I can gets.

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 03:46:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
So far no one has even asked me to endorse a toilet paper brand, although I think my many years of experience in that field should be recognized, and God knows I could use a comped roll or two. That said, there is a tendency in modern corporate management to remove as much as possible the ability of anyone outside the organization to communicate with anyone inside it. Nothing is as valuable as the time of an employee freed from the onerous obligation of communication with people who simply do not matter.

The first line of defense i. e. the telephone answering machine is becoming a bit of a dinosaur. A device that provided the ability (real or imagined) to leave a recording of your mewling calls for assistance in an endless queue of inconsequential nonentities hungrily suckling on the corporate teat with no intention of remunerating the hapless human who may one day listen to their recorded cries before deleting them, has become so commonplace as to be just banal. Hell, even I have one, and the time I have saved by not answering my telephone has given me countless hours to engage in posts to this forum that I assume receive the same level of attention from the readers.

The endless maze of press 1 to place an order, press 2 to talk to customer service press...press 999 to connect to the CEO's personal cell phone etc., have been replaced with programs that will only accept spoken replies, but recognize only a heavily Estonian accented form of English, thus locking the caller into an endless loop of I did not understand you, please say again.

It would seem that the OP had at one time an actual phone number to reach a significant human being, and it (or the human being it represented) has been purged from the corporate system. The rest of us should only envy his good fortune, for most of us have never had such godlike access. Like true love, the loss of a personal extension is a life-changing experience. It is easy in such a case to sublimate loss into bitterness, and rail against the cold reflection of his attempts to communicate.

But rather than cast blame upon the corporate nature that has spurned him, he should appreciate the transcendent beauty of  a corporate culture that is rising above the burdens of responding to the ordinary human being; a sublime and efficient state where artists are treated like customers and customers are entrained into endless, meaningless, and, yes beautiful labyrinths or longing to touch the ineffable heart of the commercial creature. That is after all the nature of art in the modern world.
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 08:26:01 (permalink)
I saw no reference to Cakewalk , SONAR or Roland on your website. I may have missed it.

Yes.
tmrpro
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 114
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 10:30:51 (permalink)
Guitarhacker,

The assumption that this thread is solely about getting free software is ridiculous. I bought the upgrade months ago, but I'm not supposed to have to...  The point is; CW has had a major shakeup that has effected their ability to maintain communication in the mainstream industry. They have a business obligation to me which they have ignored. The first two points you quoted of what I said on June sixth, 2006 about Sonar (& Cakewalk, at that time) is:

* Stability
* Customer Support

Let's talk about the first one. Stability refers to more than just how well an application like Sonar works, it also refers to the stability of everything associated to the software, including the company, their ability to fulfill obligations and commitments, in addition to returning phone calls as promised in a professional relationship.

Now the second one. Customer Support for someone who is a first line communicator directly communicating with industry professionals (who are all using protools, BTW) is vital IMHO when trying to keep a company respected in an industry that has changed so drastically in the past 2 years that changes are being made, everywhere.

Although I appreciate your position, Guitarhacker, you are not in my shoes, nor will you ever be. Keep riding your bicycle to your job at McDonald's from Mom's house and I'll be glad to keep leaving you a nickel when I stop by to get my coffee and egg mcmuffin...

The last part is just a little bit of fun love for implying that I'm foolish, etc.
post edited by tmrpro - 2010/08/15 11:13:23

Check out my website at:
http://tmrpro.com
tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 10:42:08 (permalink)
Bermuda,

Nor did you see Sony, Tascam, Voxengo, Digidesign, Fender or Yamaha...

Check out my website at:
tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 10:44:11 (permalink)
Slartabartfast,

Beautiful!

Check out my website at:
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 13:09:21 (permalink)
tmrpro

I literally have had to keep outdated systems in place just to fulfill business obligations... Is that the right way to do business?

I bought the upgrade months ago

Not following this..can you enlighten me?
post edited by jamesg1213 - 2010/08/15 13:10:42

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 13:22:45 (permalink)
There's already been a response from Cakewalk re. this issue.

This thread was moved from the producer forum to here, no?...

Anyway, I'm gonna get a response out of them over this because I really am somebody they needn't mess with.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/08/15 13:27:30

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 14:13:06 (permalink)
The assumption that this thread is solely about getting free software is ridiculous. I bought the upgrade months ago, but I'm not supposed to have to...  The point is; CW has had a major shakeup that has effected their ability to maintain communication in the mainstream industry. They have a business obligation to me which they have ignored.

what were the terms of your contract?  how long were they obligated to provide you with benefits from this contract?

maybe you're the one who is assuming too much?  I don't know, I'm just wondering out loud, but maybe the contract says that they can terminate any time they desire and maybe the contract says they don't even have to notify you.  or maybe the contract was already expired and they did not wish to re-instate.  we don't know any of that information at all.

there are way too many variables that we as a user base don't have privileges to know about in this case unless we were given all of the details.  at this point all we've been given is your side of the story and you must admit, not even all of that.  you've not given us any information regarding the terms of the contract or what it is EXACTLY according to that contract which they are being negligent about.

maybe you should take your contract and discuss it with a lawyer and see what he/she thinks about cake's lack of response to your requests.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 14:43:09 (permalink)
Jonbouy

There's already been a response from Cakewalk re. this issue.

This thread was moved from the producer forum to here, no?...

Anyway, I'm gonna get a response out of them over this because I really am somebody they needn't mess with.

Just say the word Jonbouy just say the word.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 14:45:38 (permalink)
McDonalds.... riding a bike? funny.... yeah.... I don't even eat there let alone work there...  I have a very successful business (18yrs+) .... yeah that was funny. You're right...I'm not in your shoes nor do I wish to be.....

I can understand you being hacked off..... it bugs me too when someone I have known starts to avoid my calls and emails...... there might be a legitimate reason, (family situation, corporate shakeup.....yadda, yadda) .... or maybe they are just avoiding you....

So it all boils down to the Cakewalk big wig you had a deal with won't call you back....

As Beagle asked... did you have the agreement in writing that specified how long they would supply you with free software in exchange for your endorsement? Most contracts spell out in detail the length of time and the remuneration. I have a number of songs signed and every single one specifies how much I will make for each copy sold and the length of the contact if no release is finalized.

Was the deal in writing..... or was it a verbal agreement?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Russell.Whaley
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2755
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 15:20:52 (permalink)
I think I understand some of the emotional part of this... in my time in broadcasting (a long time ago, now), there were times when I was visible and "connected..." and a lot of time when I wasn't.  Didn't always seem to have anything to do with my talent, loyalty, or hard work, just what I've called the "Godfather Principle" for years -- "Nothing personal, strictly business."

It sounds like you've had a good deal of success and fruit from your hard work over the years. Maybe best to cut your losses and move on?

Peaceful day to you.

bapu
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 15:28:42 (permalink)

There's already been a response from Cakewalk re. this issue. This thread was moved from the producer forum to here, no?...

tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 15:43:49 (permalink)
Mr. Beagle:

You act like YOU know something that I don't... I know a little more about contracts than you and perhaps Guitarhacker may want to believe that I do... my two friendly attorneys acting on behalf of CW...

First I will tell you that I never had any written contracts with CW, only friendly, man to man, verbal agreements... Likely you'll argue; "Well, without knowledge of what was said, it's one man's word against another..."

I live in TN, a one party State ... You should know what I mean when I say that my little paralegal beagles...

I am also a recording engineer... I give you a message of legal commitment and the basis of my belief that there is some form of obligation on behalf of Cakewalk, to fulfill their responsibilty to me as Exhibit A, your honor. This message was not edited in Sonar and only edited to protect private phone numbers, BTW and was left on my answering service at 10:19 AM CST, March 3rd, 2010...

http://www.tmrrecords.com/cakewalk

Any objections counsel?
post edited by tmrpro - 2010/08/15 16:07:46

Check out my website at:
Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 18:05:07 (permalink)
Nice Myspace website Todd. We don't care who you are and what you've done here in this asylum. Of course we are impressed by good work and technical savvy as that's what this forum is supposed to be about. You seem a little overly defensive to the questions asked of you. I got accused of being on the attack for asking for the link to your site. I mean, comeon, if you're a pro in the industry, reconnecting with Cakewalk shouldn't be a big deal.

Craig DuBuc
bapu
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 18:07:31 (permalink)
good work and technical savvy as that's what this forum is supposed to be about

I might need to leave this thread, post haste then.

Oh wait, Craig said supposed to. Whew!
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 18:26:05 (permalink)
I was hoping you might pitch him the catalog... all 4 CHB anthems set to strings.

Double triple mind blowing.

Beagle
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 19:14:08 (permalink)
Mr. Beagle:

You act like YOU know something that I don't...

no, you should read what I wrote again.  I said we DON'T know anything except what you've told us.
I know a little more about contracts than you and perhaps Guitarhacker may want to believe that I do...

really?  I'm curious to know how you know that since you don't know anything about me or how much I know about anything.    again, you're assuming WAY too much.
First I will tell you that I never had any written contracts with CW, only friendly, man to man, verbal agreements... Likely you'll argue; "Well, without knowledge of what was said, it's one man's word against another..."

you said it.  I didn't.

your link is useless.  it doesn't work.

again - I wasn't saying that you are wrong.  you are obviously taking things way out of proportion.  I said we don't know the whole story we only know what YOU have told us.  how is that something that we can use to judge at all?  would you take my word for it if I told you that cakewalk owed me 10 copies of Sonar?  I wouldn't.

tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 19:59:04 (permalink)
Mr. Beagle,

The link isn't useless, it works fine if you have flash enabled on your browser. Everyone else has heard it, enable flash and follow the link again...

http://www.tmrrecords.com/cakewalk

It clearly justifies my statements and totally disputes everything you have written.

Check out my website at:
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 20:03:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I've only heard Jimmy Landry's name twice before, and both times is was followed by "who used to work at Capitol Records", as if it were part of his name or an honorary title, e.g. "Jimmy Landry, DTE, ASPCA, DOT, UTWACC". Both times, I thought "weird, they actually think that's a positive thing to list on his resume". Like an A&R gig is anything at all like working in Marketing. For one thing, unlike a record-company functionary, in Marketing you're actually obligated to return people's calls.

Jimmy obviously thinks his previous job will impress people. He even included it on your answering machine. I guess that makes three references now.

But though I truly empathize with your anger at being treated rudely, I have to say that you're out of line dismissing Beagle and yorolpal's comments. You posted here for no other purpose than to embarrass Cakewalk - what possible alternate motive could you have? And I have no problem with that! I'd be tempted to do the same. But in doing so you made it a public conversation, you invited comment, and then proceeded to slap down serious commentators who are also valued contributors to this forum. Bad move if you're lobbying for popular support for your cause.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 20:24:52 (permalink)
Dear BitFlipper,

I appreciate your comment and can only say; "I slap back when slapped."

I can take it and I can dish it out.

I respect you for your opinion, completely. You are the only one of that group of healthy commentators who respectfully slapped me, therefore I take your comments to heart without a defensive stance.

Thanks... sometimes it feels good to be slapped.

For verification, my interest to post here was not to embarrass anyone, but to bring attention to a problem. If this ultimately embarrasses anyone, then perhaps that individual(s) will be a little more respectful to their peer group.

Additionally, my method of response that you refer to as slapping was in no way a dismissal of Beagle's or yorolpal's comments, they were simply reflective of the communicational behavior that was presented to me in public conversation in their initial posts on this thread.

Again, I'm a very likable guy ... but if you're going to throw a ball at me, be prepared to get it thrown back at you, even harder...

It's all good!

Check out my website at:
Beagle
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/15 22:07:17 (permalink)
you're right - that does sound like you had a 'verbal agreement' (not sure why the link didn't work the first time, I didn't change anything).

If I were in your shoes I'd be looking to figure out why they won't return your calls, but not worry about trying to discredit forum members who didn't really "slap you" to begin with.

I think you read attitude into my post that wasn't there.  I was simply making a statement that we didn't know the whole story (and we still don't).  I'm sorry if that seemed like I "threw a ball at you." 

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 08:32:38 (permalink)
"I bring my beef here and share it with the world..."

"I'm a very likable guy"

I live in a two party state... and recording private conversations is considered so unsavory that even if one party does implicitly agree by leaving a phone message on another party's recording service... the receiving party is not at liberty to publish the voice recording without appearing like a world class smuck.

I see you are in the publicity business... e.g. tmrpro.com... maybe you can reacquaint yourself with one of your multi million dollar endorsement deals and leave this simple matter of being ignored by Cakewalk to your team of lawyers.

That's what likable guys do.

regards,
mike

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 09:02:25 (permalink)
Hey Todd.... Like Bitflipper said...YOU came her posting and apparently soliciting opinion against Cake.  If you're ranting... that's cool. Quite a few have done so here.  No harm no foul. Have fun. I enjoy these little "tet de tet's" and so do others.

Here's the problem as I see it.....Mind you, I'm in the security business not the legal business, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn  Express. I deal with contracts on a daily occurrence in my business.

I once had a lawyer tell me that every written contract IS NOT worth the paper it's written on.

I have had several (fortunately not many) clients tell me, when I reminded them that we have a signed written contract...to which they reply: "So sue me!"

And you have a verbal contract with cake. Well we all know what that's worth in the business world.  As has been suggested, time to move on. If you like Sonar, keep using it. If this ticks you off, switch to a different DAW... it's no skin off of my hide.

So if you wanna waste the time and money going after cake in a legal fashion due to some verbal agreement in the past.......have at it buddy. Let us know how that works out for you.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 09:52:21 (permalink)
Mr. Beagle,

Thank you for the objective viewpoint... I've now been able to look at your statements with objectivity & find that they are all valid.

I'm sorry for misinterpreting your attitude.

All the best!

Check out my website at:
tmrpro
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 10:02:15 (permalink)
Mr McCue,

Perhaps you didn't realize that my patience lasted 6 months.

If somebody does business with Mike McCue, does he change his mind about something he has committed to do, then never return the customer's phone calls or emails?

Is that how it works in a "Two Party State"?

Look, I know I'm being a smart ass now and I alternately do not mind having to be on the defensive, I've obviously opened myself up to that... But, I seriously hope that you didn't miss the point.

FYI: For the most part, I handle my own legal affairs.

Check out my website at:
Beagle
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 10:03:37 (permalink)
tmrpro

Mr. Beagle,

Thank you for the objective viewpoint... I've now been able to look at your statements with objectivity & find that they are all valid.

I'm sorry for misinterpreting your attitude.

All the best!

Apology accepted.  thank you.

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 10:16:09 (permalink)
I got the point... and I have quoted, for your convenience, the points I feel you have you have made most clearly.

The fact that it has taken 6 months for you to get the point is a point you might want to consider.

Have you ever read the story Jim Marshall relates about his endorsement relations with Jimi Hendrix?

regards,
mike

The Maillard Reaction
Re:Artist Customer Support 2010/08/16 10:23:22 (permalink)
"Is that how it works in a "Two Party State"?"

Since you claim to know what a one party state is... I'll assume you also know what a two party state is.

And so I am left to wonder if you realize that this can not even serve as a rhetorical question?

It is a boorish passive aggressive statement based on nonsense.

regards,
mike

tmrpro
Re:UPDATE 2010/08/16 11:57:29 (permalink)
I am happy to say that this problem has been resolved.

After speaking with Jimmy moments ago and being given an explanation, I am satisfied.

I additionally would like to offer an apology to anyone here who I may have offended.

Check out my website at:
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1