Helpful ReplyBand-In-The Box, is it cheating?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 00:12:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/06/03 01:36:52
When did cheating become unethical?

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 01:37:50 (permalink)
Fleer

That's what I want to know.

I've held off on the BiaB upgrade to 2017.  Anybody done it?  Is the interface updated?

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 05:59:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/06/03 13:34:43
BobF
Fleer

I've held off on the BiaB upgrade to 2017.  Anybody done it?  Is the interface updated?

All the best Cheaters in the world live by The Code of never getting caught
When a Cheater does get caught , they are never sorry for what they did , who they hurt or how they cheated ...
They are only sorry that they got caught 

Oh I did come in here for a reason ...

Bob ,

I do have BIAB 2017 for Mac ...on Windows I have BIAB 2015 installed w 2016 waiting to be installed on my next Win computer of the future .
Yes they did change the interface a little for 2017.  Now you can work in a full screen type of looking BIAB with out all the toolbars and everything right there cluttering up the GUI ...

Over on the left (at least in the Mac version of BIAB ) there is a little button that looks like a screen that you can toggle for getting the 2 views ..
The button looks just like the one that is right next to SONAR's lenses drop down menu .

all the best, 
Kenny

PS,  In this case the Widows version of BIAB has more features
They don't have Real Band or anything like that for Mac...I wonder maybe they figure folks will use GB ? or something else ..
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/06/03 06:28:06

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 12:29:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/06/03 15:55:08
batsbrew
zombie thread

back from the dead

It's so old there's a mention of giving a client a mix on cassette! 

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 15:14:34 (permalink)
BobF
Fleer

I did not.  I considered it, but I usually don't upgrade BIAB every year.  I'm on 2015, IIRC.  probably won't upgrade for another year or so.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 16:01:09 (permalink)
Beagle
BobF
Fleer

I did not.  I considered it, but I usually don't upgrade BIAB every year.  I'm on 2015, IIRC.  probably won't upgrade for another year or so.

I'm on 2016, unless some real killer stuff happens I may wait until the 2019 version. I'm using it a little less these days.
bapu
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 16:01:44 (permalink)
jamesg1213
batsbrew
zombie thread

back from the dead

It's so old there's a mention of giving a client a mix on cassette! 

Much better delivery system than acetates.
BobF
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 19:25:27 (permalink)
bapu
Beagle
BobF
Fleer

I'm on 2016, unless some real killer stuff happens I may wait until the 2019 version. I'm using it a little less these days.

I have '16 Mega.  When I bought it swore I was going to learn how to use it.  I never did.  I want to, I just can't get the hang of it.

I just installed it on my new machine.  I'm gonna give it one more go 'round to see if anything will click this time.  I have a handful of things started that maybe BiaB will help me expand on.

According to the PG folks, all I need for '17 is to buy Pro since I already have the Mega stuff.  Currently $69.  I guess I need to watch the vids to see if the interface changes are worth it or not.

Bob  --
--

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 21:55:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/06/06 17:59:32
One of its applications (and I am sure Kenny will agree with me on this) is for upcoming Jazz musicians to learn how to solo over endless choruses.  Saves getting a band to play endless choruses live which is what we used to do a while back while learning to become a Jazz musician.  Now we don't have to hassle the band anymore.  Just set up BIAB and solo forever.

It is not very capable when a very unusual groove or feel is required. e.g. it is much harder to create something extremely original.  If its more conventional you are after then it is very good.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/03 22:07:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/06/04 12:52:10
BobF

I just jumped into 2017 last December, so have not used any other versions lately.

I'm still learning it soI found these tutorial videos on Groove3 helpful. 

https://www.groove3.com/Band-in-a-Box-training-video-tutorials/BIAB-2015-for-Windows-Explained
They are based on 2015, and the interface doesn't look all that different.  I think they added a bunch of stuff to it.  This thing is deep, and just about everything is customizable, so that is the learning curve, LOL!

Here are the new features from the 2017 help file:

Version 2017 New Features

We’ve added over 80 new features to Band-in-a-Box 2017, including…

GUI for main screen has been redesigned. The previous version of Band-in-a-Box (2016) had a large toolbar that was not configurable. We have redesigned the main screen with many requested improvements, including a new smaller footprint, configurable toolbars, a tabbed interface, the progress bar, and more. The toolbar area is now 1/3 of the previous vertical height. All of the same buttons are available through the tabbed interface. Select a toolbar on the tabs and then the button you want to use. Re-order the buttons by drag and drop. Customize your own toolbar by adding any buttons in any order. Use the floating, movable, resizable mixer.
-  There are 3 modes for the toolbar.
1.  New, smaller, configurable toolbar with tabbed interface.
2.  Old, taller toolbar, with fixed on-screen mixer (useful for people with hi-res screens).
3.  DAW mode. This makes a small screen, always on top, useful for drag and drop of files to your favorite DAW.
-  The Progress Bar has been added. This bar displays a timeline for the current song. The current time is marked with a gray vertical line. Part markers are marked with colored (blue, green, etc.) vertical lines. The beginning of each chorus is marked with outlines. You can double click on the bar to start playback from that point. Single clicking will move the current time to that point.
-  The Drop Station now has an additional drop target, labeled + button, to allow a configurable rendering. When you drop to the +, you are presented with a dialog, where you can choose a file format (WAV/WMA/M4A/MID), and other render options (acidize, normalize, and separate track).
-  The title area of the main screen has a new display for feel (e.g. Ev16) and time signature (4/4), and is sizable.
-  In the small toolbar mode, the Custom tab lets you select and add buttons in the order that you want.
-  The [Freeze] and [Simple] buttons have been added to replace the single [Freeze/Simple] button.
-  The menu for the individual tracks, accessed from the track radio buttons or the Mixer, has been reorganized into groups allowing easier selection of track types: audio (RealTracks, UserTracks, Loops) or MIDI (MIDI SuperTracks, classic MIDI tracks) and track settings/actions.

sforzando SFZ Synth. We’ve added a new VST Synthesizer, with support for popular .SFZ sound format, as well as PG Music’s Hi-Q sounds. Many sounds that have been developed with the .SFZ format are available on the internet, and are ready to play with Band-in-a-Box using this synth. Your existing Band-in-a-Box Hi-Q sounds will play using this synthesizer, so previous songs or styles you made will play with this new synth. This synth is installed with Band-in-a-Box, and is ready to play and does not require configuration.

Chord Builder has been enhanced with "Chord Theory" section. The Chord Theory section displays and suggests chords that are most popular in the current key. The top row is diatonic chords. Other rows add additional chords that are part of the key, such as Dominant 7th approach, Slash Chords, Parallel Minor, Diminished, and more. This allows you to quickly enter chords by clicking on the most common chords in the key. For example, if you stick to the top row (diatonic), the chord progression will be a typical song progression. Choosing from additional row will add variation and color to the progression. This is a fun, interactive way to enter and explore chord progressions, and learn music chord theory at the same time.

There are many RealDrums enhancements including selectable timebase (Half/Double/Triple-time), Multiple Drum/Percussion/Loops tracks, and more.

-  [Multi-Drums] This allows you to put multiple drum/percussion parts, drum loops, UserTracks drums, and even RealTracks on the same Drums track, with volume mixer adjusting levels. For example, you can add single drums instruments (e.g. Tambourine and Shaker), a bass drum loop, and UserTracks drums to BossaBrushes Drums track. Multi-Drums can be stored with the song, style, or listed separately in the RealDrums Picker (e.g. Danny and Alex Jazz Swing with congas [Multi]).
-  [Single Drums] These are RealDrums that just have a single percussion instrument like tambourine, shaker, or bongos. You can easily add the single drums to Multi-Drums in the Create Multi-Drums dialog.
-  Drums can have selectable timebase: Double-Time (Cut-Time), Half-Time, or Triplet-Time. Timebase (normal/half/double/triplet) can be stored with: song, style,or RealDrums.
- RealDrums can now be added to any track, not just the Drums track, so you can have more than one Drums track.
- RealDrums Shots/Pushes/Rests work with style changes and frozen Drums track. Previously, this was not supported.
- The RealDrums Picker window now opens up much faster despite having more entries. Previously, it took up to 5 seconds for the window to open on slower machines. Now, it opens up in less than a second.

Tempo pitch shifting and tempo stretching has been greatly enhanced with the integration of the newest version of the world-leading Elastique (version 3, previous version was version 2). This allows higher quality, and sound retains timbre with extreme tempo changes or transpositions. There is nothing needed to configure this, as it just works.

12 Key "Woodshedding" RealTracks. Many people use the RealTracks feature in Band-in-a-Box to learn how to "play like the pros." This is because you can see notation, tab, on-screen guitar, and more as you hear the music. Now we’ve taken this to a higher level, by providing some "12-Key" RealTracks that have been recorded in all 12 keys. In previous versions, you might decide to learn to play by studying the parts played by the RealTracks artists, and watch the notation to do so. Many people have found this a great way to learn, but it had the following issues.
- Since RealTracks were based on only 5 keys, they were transposed much of the time, which would make the guitar part unplayable for a student in some cases.
- The tab/notation was good for guitar, but lacked some precision and graphical representation of bends, pull-offs, hammer-ons, and pull-offs.
So we’ve solved that by creating some Guitar RealTracks with:
- recording in all 12-keys. So you can see what a pro would play over an Ab chord, and you won’t see them play on a G transposed up to an Ab,
- and carefully transcribed notation, with correct bend/hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides.
So now you (we!) students have no more excuses! You can watch and learn from the pros!
We’ve made some of these for country guitar (Brent Mason), piano (Mike Rojas), and pedal steel (Eddy Dunlap). For guitar, this means that they are typically generated with no transpositions on any chord so that you can learn by copying exactly what you see on the fretboard. In combination with another new feature we have (Hi-Q RealCharts and guitar display), this gives you great notation and guitar display.

Hi-Q Guitar RealCharts are available with highly accurate and readable notation, including new graphical markings for bends, slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs. We have some amazing new RealTracks from Brent Mason, in 12-keys with Hi-Q notation showing exactly what is being played! To see these in action, load in one of the 12-key Hi-Q notation RealTracks by Brent Mason. You can also enter your own guitar notation using these features. Just right click on a note to set its properties to include bends, slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs.

Song Titles Browser Window has been added. The popular Song Title feature, which allows you to type in the name of a familiar song and find a style with similar feel and tempo, has been enhanced with a dedicated Song Titles Browser window. This window allows you to browse and filter the huge list of over 8,000 popular song titles. You can, for example, filter by a certain artist, and then sort all the songs by tempo, key, feel, time signature, and more. Once you have found a song, pressing a button will take you to the StylePicker with the styles that best match the tempo, feel, and genre of the selected song title. For example, you can find all popular songs that are waltz in the Key of Eb, with a tempo slower than 100. This might be useful for making a medley or seeing a list of song titles that share the same key, tempo, and feel.
We’ve also added over 500 new songs to the database, filling in some missing genres and new songs from 2016 as well as some classics.

VST sync has been enhanced. In late 2016, we added much requested support for VSTs that require tempo information to sync to. This has been enhanced with support for time signature and tempo changes. Many VSTs like Addictive Drums or Rapid Composer need this tempo information to sync to Band-in-a-Box.

RealTracks have been enhanced.
-  RealTracks options dialog (simple, helds, medley, halftime) is available from the "best" dialogs.
-  RealTracks and RealDrums folder locations are now remembered (by a checkbox) even after you reset to factory settings or erase the interface.bbw config file. Previously, you would need to configure these again. Technical note: These are also remembered if you delete c:\bb\interface.bbw. They are set to the locations found in C:\Users\Public\Ticket\ Band-in-a-Box Folder Locations.txt.
-  The RealTracks Picker window now opens up much faster displaying all 2,500+ RealTracks. Previously, it took up to 5 seconds for the window to open on slower machines, but now, it opens up in less than a second.
-  The Tempo Swap feature for RealTracks has been enhanced, and it happens more intelligently now. Since the tempo stretching has been improved, we have also widened the tempo range before a tempo swap to a new RealTracks would occur.
-  In addition, new features discussed elsewhere have improved the sound of RealTracks.
-   Improved sound when stretching tempos or transposing using Elastique 3.
-   Natural Arrangement option. See description elsewhere.
-   202 new RealTracks with version 2017!

The media player control now has a volume control in various dialogs like RealTracks, RealDrums, Loops, and UserTracks Picker. So if the demos are too loud/soft relative to your other music, you can independently control this.

UserTracks have been enhanced.
- Waltz 3/4 time signature UserTracks are now supported. Just make a UserTracks as normal, and save the Band-in-a-Box song with your UserTracks in 3/4 (i.e. save using a waltz style). This should ensure that the options.txt file in the folder says "ThisIsWaltz=true."
- Rests now supported. Shots and Holds now also rest instead of continuing to play. There are no changes to the UserTracks needed. Just put rests in the song and the existing UserTracks will follow them. (Note: There is no specific support for shots or holds in UserTracks. They will just rest when these are encountered.)
- Timebase (Normal, Half-Time, Double-Time, or Triple-Time) can be selected for any UserTracks from the UserTracks dialog or the track button right click menu.
- UserTracks can be made and preset to a timebase or be chosen after the fact by the user. If you have a UserTracks in Ev8 called "Santur," you can clone the folder and rename the cloned one as "Santur [Double-Time]." Then it will play in Double-Time Ev 16 half of the tempo.
- Option for no-transpose is now supported for UserTracks on any track. This is set in the Song Settings dialog.
- Option for ignoring slash notes like the "B" on a G/B chord (just play a "G" chord) is now supported for any UserTrack. This is also set in the Song Settings dialog.
- Styles with UserTracks are now displayed in the StylePicker with the name of the loop or UserTracks. If you want to see a list of all of your styles that use UserTracks, you would type UserTrack into the StylePicker filter. (Tip: you would need to do a one-time slow rebuild to update the StylePicker to show this. If you are still missing some styles IDs as UserTracks, try quitting the program and erasing c:\bb\data\User_stylz1.bin and then booting Band-in-a-Box to do a slow rebuild.)

Notation has been enhanced.
-   The Guitar Notation/Tab display has been enhanced. You can now enter and display bends, slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs with notation graphics indicating these elements. You can create all these in the note edit dialog, and import/export from/to XML files.
-   The notation timeline is much more visible while editing, as it is a yellow wide transparent vertical line on the notation.
-   A rapid notation entry mode has been added for piano and guitar music. To do this, open up the piano or guitar, and use the new features to have right/left cursor keys to set the current notation position, and then you mouse click on the piano or guitar to enter the music. This is much faster than previous methods in many cases.
-   Entry of Forced Accidentals is quicker now, without a pull down list required.
-   Band-in-a-Box now remembers previous Width & Height when saving notation as image.
-   Band-in-a-Box notation now has a checkbox to keep ratio the same when changing Width or Height in Save image dialog.
-   RealScore Chords font is now selectable on the Notation window fonts menu.
-   Music XML (notation export/import) has been enhanced. We’ve worked with Finale, GuitarPro and Sibelius to enhance features and compatibility with Music XML import and export of chords, notation, guitar tab and more. For example, we now read/write more chord types as well as guitar tab, bends, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides from/to XML.

Chord Sheet and Layers have been enhanced.
-   Right clicking in a layer now has a menu with options to change height of the layer, close layer(s), copy/cut/paste, etc.
-   The "Concert Key" option has been added to display an additional chord display of the same chords transposed to a different key. So you can, for example, see two layers, one with concert chords, and the other for Bb instruments.
-   "Insert Bars" and "Delete Bars" have been added to the right click menu.
-   A BeStPlain chord symbols font has been added that is very clear and readable, and has selectable options to use a triangle for major, a minus sign for minor, and a half or full circle for half or full diminished chords. This font was designed by Band-in-a-Box user Bernhard Steuber. Thanks Bernhard!
-   Tab and Shift+Tab keys advance on the Chord Sheet , like R/L cursor keys.
-   RealScore Chords font is now selectable on the Notation window fonts menu.
-   The Repeats dialog has been enhanced.
-   Chords Preview work faster, no wait needed (Shift+Enter).
-   The Chord Sheet scheme button has been replaced by two buttons for easier loading/saving schemes.
-   Normal chord display can be shown on the additional chord display layer.

Natural Arrangements option has been added. If you give a pro musician, a complicated chord progression, with fancy extensions like C7b9b13 or Gm11, the musician may reinterpret these rather than playing them exactly as written. This can achieve a much better sounding arrangement because the musician has freedom to choose from similar chord extensions. Now you can get Band-in-a-Box to do the same thing; you can set this on a global basis (all songs, all tracks), song basis (current song, all tracks), or individual tracks (current song, specific track(s)).

Looping has been enhanced with an "L" command for quickly setting a loop.
For example:
L [Enter] will loop at the current point for 4 bars. (The "4" is a selectable value).
L8 [Enter] will loop for 8 bars.
L8,12 [Enter] will loop for 8 bars starting at bar 12.
L8,12,2 [Enter] will loop for 8 bars starting at bar 12, chorus 2.
Loops Practicing features has been added. People use looping to practice and learn as they listen to RealTracks artists playing. Now you can set the loop to mute every Nth time, so you can play it without hearing it on the Nth time. You can also set the loop to auto-advance every Nth time, so you can move through the piece. For example, you could set the loop to 4 bars, and mute every 2nd time, and advance by 4 bars after 4 loops. This aids in practice and learning.

StylePicker has been enhanced.
-   You can quickly launch the window by S+Enter shortcut keys.
-   The Action button to perform new functions has been added.
-   User Categories have been added.
-  Unlimited user categories can be created by users or third parties, to list their styles in the StylePicker by choosing their category.
-  You can make your own user category. Simply right click on the StylePicker, choose a name for your category, and then right click to add/remove styles to/from it.
-  User Categories are analogous to playlists in a song player. You can create/edit them and choose to display only the styles from the category or all styles with the category styles highlighted with a * asterisk.
-   Prototype style support has been added. Select a style as a prototype, and the StylePicker will sort and filter by best to worst match of the prototype’s tempo, feel, genre, time signature, and more.
-   You can add a custom memo to a style by right clicking on the style name.
-   Sorted display now says low to high or high to low.
-   The Fav button has been replaced by the Action button.
-   An instrument summary shows in the memo area.
-   Styles with Loops or UserTracks are now displayed in the StylePicker with the name of the Loops or UserTracks.

Loops have been enhanced.
- Rests work with Loops.
- Loops can be set to a timebase (normal, half-time, double time, or triple time).
- Loops can be combined with drums on the Drums track (Multi-Drums).

Tap tempo has been enhanced. Now, when you tap more than 4 times, the accuracy will improve (through averaging) and you can continue to tap until the target tempo has been reached.

Mixer has been enhanced with double click option to set the mixer values to defaults.

The audio offset that was needed when bringing files back from the (ACW) Audio Chord Wizard has been removed so that the file play in sync without needing to set an audio offset.

The Video Window has been enhanced with better playback of mp4 files.

New track names are now listed instead of the old track names in some places.

An alert confirmation shows before transposing the Audio track when the user has transposed the song. So you can now choose to transpose the Audio track or not, and it is now clear when it is happening.

"MME Output always on" option has been added. This allows you to use VST or Canyon GM DXi at all times, so MIDI can be routed and heard using these Plugins when the program is stopped.

And more…

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/04 03:11:42 (permalink)
I have 2013 Mega that I paid $160 for and really haven't used. It would be another $160 to upgrade it.

To you all - is it worth installing and trying to learn? Goove3 now has a serious on BIAB for Windows...
BobF
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/04 12:55:00 (permalink)
smallstonefan
I have 2013 Mega that I paid $160 for and really haven't used. It would be another $160 to upgrade it.

To you all - is it worth installing and trying to learn? Goove3 now has a serious on BIAB for Windows...

I asked PG about updating Mega.  Their response was that there is no Mega-Mega upgrade.  If you want to update the programs, just buy Pro.  $69 instead of $160.

Bob  --
--

smallstonefan
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/04 15:57:05 (permalink)
Bob, 

Am I understanding correctly then that the Mega content I bought for 2013 would work with the new version, so just do the basic upgrade to get that latest BIAB program?
BobF
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/04 17:11:35 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Bob, 

Am I understanding correctly then that the Mega content I bought for 2013 would work with the new version, so just do the basic upgrade to get that latest BIAB program?

That's what the PG folks told me ... diff is I'm at 2016.  I would drop them a note just to make sure the Mega content hasn't changed.  My email to them was asking if there was a better price to go from 16 Mega to 17 Mega.

This is the response:
=======
"Hello Bob,

You do not upgrade from a Mega to a Mega, as your not getting anything new with that package other than new software. If you just want the new software then just buy the Pro. Otherwise your best options are either buying a 2017 PlusPAK or UltraPlusPAK which would give you new RealTracks along with the new software."

Bob  --
--

kennywtelejazz
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 09:33:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/06/06 18:01:54
Jeff Evans
One of its applications (and I am sure Kenny will agree with me on this) is for upcoming Jazz musicians to learn how to solo over endless choruses.  Saves getting a band to play endless choruses live which is what we used to do a while back while learning to become a Jazz musician.  Now we don't have to hassle the band anymore.  Just set up BIAB and solo forever.

It is not very capable when a very unusual groove or feel is required. e.g. it is much harder to create something extremely original.  If its more conventional you are after then it is very good.

Hi Jeff,

Yes I do agree with you my friend  BIAB is a great practice tool

Here's an example of one of the first songs I have ever done w BIAB ..pardon the mix ...it was 7 years ago .
The midi parts that BIAB generated were imported into SONAR 6 and the Dimension Pro plays the sounds .

The way I used BIAB in that video is typical way a Jazz guitarist would use BIAB for a songs practice session .

In this example I had a tune I wanted to play .The tune is called Diving Duck Blues .

What I did here was I only put one chord in the BIAB chord chart . A simple G chord .
Then I went through a bunch of styles while I was playing along with them until I found a style that had the closest feel to what I was hearing and feeling.
Wrote out the full changes to Diving Duck Blues as a chord chart in BIAB  ...
After exporting all the parts out of BIAB and importing them into SONAR
I deleted everything that came from BIAB except for the drums ...
Recorded myself playing a 4 string Bass Part , a few rhythm guitar parts , did a little editing and then I played  a lead gtr solo that I happened to film ...

That's very easy stuff to do in BIAB . It's a good way kick start some music out of a blank page ...
There are some much heaver duty workflows I could share ...I'm gonna leave it at that for now and save them for another post if people are still interested ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

smallstonefan
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 11:19:35 (permalink)
Great playing Kenny! :)
abacab
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 13:00:58 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

In this example I had a tune I wanted to play .The tune is called Diving Duck Blues .

What I did here was I only put one chord in the BIAB chord chart . A simple G chord .
Then I went through a bunch of styles while I was playing along with them until I found a style that had the closest feel to what I was hearing and feeling.
Wrote out the full changes to Diving Duck Blues as a chord chart in BIAB  ...
After exporting all the parts out of BIAB and importing them into SONAR
I deleted everything that came from BIAB except for the drums ...
Recorded myself playing a 4 string Bass Part , a few rhythm guitar parts , did a little editing and then I played  a lead gtr solo that I happened to film ...

Hey Kenny, you sure can play some!!!  

Nice one! 

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 13:15:21 (permalink)
Kenny, you're cheating..........you're playing the guitar!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
BobF
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 13:26:58 (permalink)
Mesh

Yeah, he's making those BiaB tracks sound better than they really are 

Bob  --
--

abacab
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 13:53:17 (permalink)
There's obviously some cheating going on there, but danged if I can spot it, LOL!!!

Fleer
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 17:30:35 (permalink)
Go, K-man!

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
abacab
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 17:43:37 (permalink)
Is this cheating???

bapu
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/06 17:53:49 (permalink)
abacab
Is this cheating???

$2.5K for a cool keyboard or BIAB for under $500US? 

You decide.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/07 18:07:55 (permalink)
This thread makes me feel old. At least I'm not cheating 

I really tried to like Biab. I deliberated a long time. I'm still deliberating. So long as I have drum kits and bass I can play with midi I really have no reason to buy it. I would rather spend my time learning to play. I'll be learning the rest of my life.
I'm not snubbing anyone who uses it. If I were churning out tracks for music libraries and all that mattered was getting a facsimile of an idea out there I would be on this like white on rice.

I use my looper for similar activity. Play a part into it and jam. Maybe even easier, play a part into Sonar and loop it. I guess i'm still missing the point. For me at least.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

kennywtelejazz
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/08 05:12:46 (permalink)
smallstonefan
Great playing Kenny! :)

abacab

Hey Kenny, you sure can play some!!!  

Nice one! 

Mesh

BobF
Mesh

Yeah, he's making those BiaB tracks sound better than they really are 

abacab
There's obviously some cheating going on there, but danged if I can spot it, LOL!!!

Fleer
Go, K-man!

Hey there ,  James, abacab, Mesh, Bob, and Fleer ,
WOW thank you for the kindness of your words

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/08 08:28:12 (permalink)
Hey Kenny nice playing there.  Love Blue Bossa.  You sure stated that theme and blew over it nice.  Love it.  I like hearing the melody.  I wish I had a dollar for every time I played Blue Bossa (on drums that is)  I like the fast groove you have chosen too.  This tune can drag if too slow.  You have set it up with a nice samba type thing happening.  We used to play it real fast sometimes too. Then the head is over in a flash.  You are a fine Jazz player Kenny.

Like the blues too. Nothing like a good rip roaring blues! 

And to Starise I am with you on that.  I have thought about it too but never made the plunge.  My feeling is that if you are going to go to all the trouble to create a very original style, and I know you can, then you might as well do it in your DAW then and be done with it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
MarioD
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/08 13:22:48 (permalink)
Just about all of my songs start in BiaB but those tracks are replaced by myself and others in the finished song.  Most of the time the only remaining tracks are the drums and sometimes strings but those are usually modified by me.  Note that I use the MIDI side of BiaB.

I play the guitar, bass, wind controller (AKAI USB) and a little keyboard.  JonD, a friend of mine, adds the harder keyboard parts.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/08 16:43:58 (permalink)
For a prolific songwriter who simply doesn't have the time to assemble a rhythm section for do demos at 3:00 am in the morning, it is a God-send.  A quick way to see whether your new song idea will fly or if it just might sound better in a totally different style.  No guilt felt here.  I firmly believe that you use the tools that were available.  If my father would have had this, he might have quadrupled his songwriting output.  It's at the least a great time saver.  Besides, if the idea sounds strong you can THEN bring a group into a studio and record it.  But, at least you ran it up the flag-pole first.

Let's face it guys, if I would have had Sonar Platinum and all the various parts of it available 30 years ago, OMG, I would have been so much more prolific.  Instead a lot of ideas were lost because of time.  You use the tools that you have, and these are our tools.  I have imported BB tracks into Platinum and embellished them and, of course, added my own flavored tracks on the instruments I do play.  Works great.  For example, I will always do the keyboards and associated sounds my way and generally redo the bass parts and guitar parts as needed.  I am really building on the rhythm and then I can even redo the drums with the stuff in Platinum.  Good show.  Love it.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
jerrypettit
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/08 21:32:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/06/08 22:54:31
Glad to see this thread resurface, because I learned to love, love, LOVE Band In A Box this year.  I signed up for "February Album Writing Month" (FAWM.org) where you have to write 14 songs in a month.  I've been a frustrated, creativity-blocked songwriter for ages--writing, like, 1 song every 3 years for my mother on Mother's Day or whatever.

I'm retired now and have some free time, so decided to get the 14 done.  I already had the most recent BIAB, and was determined to use it to speed up the process.  I got all of my songs done.  What follows is the best of the bunch, written from the first "head scratch" to its upload to YouTube in about 5 hours (as were all of my songs that month).  My technique was to take a random song's chords and structure and a second random song's arrangement and input them into BIAB, then import over to accompanying program RealBand as discussed earlier in this thread to use the amazingly real-sounding instruments.  Then I imported to SONAR and wrote lyrics and did my best with my own vocals.  5 hours, and I think this came out pretty decently.  All music you hear, including the sax solo, is BIAB.  Vocals are me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZmBB9qZry4
S.L.I.P.
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 949
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2017/06/08 22:30:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/06/08 22:50:54
I wrote a song, and hired a bunch of musicians to play it... Is that cheating? 
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1