Helpful ReplyBand-In-The Box, is it cheating?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
2011/10/05 11:48:37 (permalink)

Band-In-The Box, is it cheating?

I  read over some older posts on Band-in-the box and gained some insight into the program. I downloaded a demo years ago and it didn't sound much different than my Yamaha keyboard backup drums at the time.

This still seems like cheating to me.....I have always played everything with the exception of drums, I mean, a person can load up some stuff and have a kind of  robotic helper that is now sounding pretty decent.

The strengh I see BB possibly having for me would be to chain an idea together from start to finish and maintain the flow of the song.On the other hand creating apart from a tool like this means that you never use  ideas that are not yours.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 11:55:54 (permalink)
everybody has a different tolerance level for what they deam as 'cheating'

i think it's great as a demo writing tool......

but i don't think you'll find any magic in there.

and after all, that's what we're all after, in our recordings.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 12:57:07 (permalink)
I think of it as a session musician.  Is hiring a session musician cheating?
batsbrew
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 12:59:16 (permalink)
well, no, it's not the same.

how could it be?

there is no interaction, which is the heart and soul of music.

otherwise, just buy a computer program that can randomly create music in real time, and call it 'performance art'

LOL

imagine if Led Zeppelin had tried to use B ina B to record 'whole lotta love'

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 13:09:06 (permalink)
Bonham AKA Jamstix.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 13:12:00 (permalink)
I don't think it's cheating at all.

It's unlikely to generate much or any that you will end up using, unless you like the vibe of an ol' fashioned Casio playalong keyboard.

I find it's a cool aid for writing and prototyping progressions and fleshing out a song structure.  I use it quite a bit in various ways.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2011/10/05 13:13:43

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
munmun
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 13:26:20 (permalink)
BIAB is quite tweakable.  Is that not interacting?
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 13:35:37 (permalink)

If you think it's cheating it is.
If you don't think it is, it's not.

Diversity; it makes the world go 'round.

Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 13:42:57 (permalink)
I use it as a template starting point, and tweak the actual Midi data, and always replace the instruments , using its plug in mode to Sonar and assigning my soft synths to its midi tracks.

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 14:06:57 (permalink)
BB, for me is not cheating. I really like the ease with which I can demo up a song and try new ideas and chords and change the key in seconds.  With the thousands of styles, you're sure to find something that fits what your're writing.

You must understand the limitations of BB to work effectively with it.  As Bat said... Zep would have had a hard time writing Whole Lotta Love on it. You can do stops and holds and other cool stuff but you gotta really know that program.... and even then... it's limited.  

As far as it sounding "MIDI"...  the majority of the styles are midi. So expect it to sound midi. There are hundreds of "real styles" with sampled tracks. They sound better. But even using the midi styles..... save the project and re-open it in Real Band ( a program that comes with the full versions of BB) and use Real Tracks. I bought it based on the demo songs and samples I heard, not on what the demo sounded like. I saw they had a 30 day MBG on the program, so I figured I'd try the full version with the RT's which is NOT in the demo version. Since then I have upgraded a few times and will likely upgrade again next year. They are constantly coming out with more styles and more sampled instruments. 

When I write a song in BB, I move it to RB and use RT's in it. Listen to my music and the dobro, steel guitar, and fiddle among others are RT's rendered from the original BB midi in many cases. 

Band in a Box, while it is good, and quite amazing in what it can do for you, is no substitute for writing talent. It will only do what you are able to tell it that you want, and if you get too fancy or creative, you will run up against it's limitations pretty quick. Anything under the Audiophile version does not use waves for it's samples, and that can show up in some crappy sounding notes in your tracks. More than one time I had to scrap the track and go in a different direction. 

I write pretty standard country music and it works well, for the most part,  in that situation.

The full versions of BB are quite pricey, but there's just about nothing else that I am aware of that does what BB does, at the level it does it, except for studio cats, and they are very pricey when you write and demo a lot of songs.  

This song> Emerald Eyes    http://www.soundclick.com...&q=hi&newref=1  is a good example of what BB/RB/RT can do.   It's composed in BB and moved to MC4 where I added the electric & Acoustic guitars.  Everything else...bass, drums, trumpet, piano, pads, were all BB/RB tracks.    To write this, I had to select the tempo, the style, and write the chord progressions.... So that is my creativity being enhanced by technology. 

Just about every song I write these days has my "Upper Room Studio Band" playing on it. 

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/10/05 14:09:11

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 14:07:38 (permalink)
If you don't think it's murder it's not.
If you do think it's murder it is.
Tautology; it turns the world upside down:-)

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
bapu
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 14:11:08 (permalink)
yorolpal

If you don't think it's murder it's not.
If you do think it's murder it is.
Tautology; it turns the world upside down:-)

Touche
(or is it Tush? ala ZZTop)

strikinglyhandsome1
Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7224
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 15:23:30 (permalink)
Who would you be cheating anyway? The walls of your bedroom?
Starise
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 17:26:12 (permalink)
 I tend to agree with Batsbrew on the human element although I could maybe see a use for BB as a template as some of you have already mentioned. Guitarhacker you do really well with the method you have to work with your material. I don't think the question is, Can it sound good?Jonbouy and munmun must take a similar tack. Could you make the music sound as good without BB?
 One big concern I had was that sometimes I'll get a rhythm or a tune in my head that might not line up with a template and a template might actually destroy the idea or the feel. If I'm into a strict genre' then maybe it would suffice. I have had the same thing happen with drum loops that don't fit. To fall into BBs templates isn't necessarily bad, but I can see the tendency to fall into that system because it is easier by far than fleshing out an original backup track.

I'm not knocking you for using it and I am ,I'm fact, considering the use of it for templates but I don't want to get lazy with it either.

SH1 This was a personal reflection I asked for opinions on(thanks!) it has nothing to do with who is or is not around.I think we all set our own standards on what we feel comfortable with as musicians. Personally, I would pay extra for something real or better. I would  go to more trouble for quality. I'm not saying BB is a lack of quality or inferior but I am questioning how far I would be willing to accept its use in my tracks.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 18:07:54 (permalink)
I had a nice lady who wrote a couple of songs that she wanted to sing Kareoke style at her church.  She didn't read a lick of music or play an instrument but she could sing in tune.  She sat next to me and I would listen to her melody and pick chords that I thought were appropriate and enter it into BIAB.   After I got the chords  and arrangement worked out, I would audition different styles to see how she like them with her song. 

She picked out a style she liked, I exported the midi to SONAR.  I then tracked real bass, real guitar, tweaked some of the drum grooves and left the keyboards alone since I'm weak on that instrument.  We tracked her vocals and I mixed down a version to cassette with and without lead vocal.

She was happy as a clam with the result and wrote me a check.  About 3 hours work.  IIRC, she came back and did another song a few months later.  I didn't feel guilty in the least.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Starise
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 18:19:08 (permalink)
 Wow, a pretty cool result there and a use I had not considered. I noticed the most recent BB has P&W tracks in it as well.I could see using it if I could add my  real instruments into it like that......and I like it when people write me checks too.....

Twitter @Rodein

bapu
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 18:20:59 (permalink)
Starise

......and I like it when people write me checks too.....

As does The Bouy Ltd.
(or does he?)
Starise
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 18:31:50 (permalink)
 Pardon I thought the Bouy was a she....as far a checks are concerned,theres money flying round' but  its going over my head...good luck to you.

Twitter @Rodein

yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 19:31:49 (permalink)
Like Strike and Mods post attest...thinking of this sort of stuff as "cheating" is heading down a rabbit hole to begin with. Make music...and/or money...and don't fret over the details. Our self delusion is our best friend. If we all had to face up to just how much we all are charlatans we'd probably jump off the nearest cliff.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
bapu
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 19:46:44 (permalink)
yorolpal

Like Strike and Mods post attest...thinking of this sort of stuff as "cheating" is heading down a rabbit hole to begin with. Make music...and/or money...and don't fret over the details. Our self delusion is our best friend. If we all had to face up to just how much we all are charlatans we'd probably jump off the nearest cliff.

Quick..... grab my hand myolpa...................................................................................................

kerplunk!
ohgrant
Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3966
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/05 23:19:53 (permalink)
Cheating? I read that Al Jolson thought at first that the amplifier was cheating and remarked about Frank Sanatra "That boy will never make it, he sings like a sissy". The article went on to explain back before amplification, vocal quality was mostly determined by how loud a vocalist was. The amplifier changed everything, but many considered it cheating. When multitracking was first done by Les Paul it was considered by many cheating. When synths first came out it was the new cheat. I've never used BITB, but I would not hesitate if it helped in the creative process. IMO the question is it cheating is as simple as, as long as you follow the EULA of the software of course not, that's why they sell it.

Me

Guitarhacker
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 08:07:36 (permalink)
Starise

Guitarhacker you do really well with the method you have to work with your material. I don't think the question is, Can it sound good?
Yeah it can sound good. 
Jonbouy and munmun must take a similar tack. Could you make the music sound as good without BB? 
NO. I don't play all those other instruments.

One big concern I had was that sometimes I'll get a rhythm or a tune in my head that might not line up with a template and a template might actually destroy the idea or the feel.
With almost 3000 different styles I'm sure you can find something that works. 

If I'm into a strict genre' then maybe it would suffice. I have had the same thing happen with drum loops that don't fit. To fall into                 BBs templates isn't necessarily bad, but I can see the tendency to fall into that system because it is easier by far than fleshing out            an original backup track. 

I'm not knocking you for using it and I am ,I'm fact, considering the use of it for templates but I don't want to get lazy with it either. 
Yes, it would be easy to get really lazy musically. 

......... I'm not saying BB is a lack of quality or inferior but I am questioning how far I would be willing to accept its use in my tracks.

I'm willing to accept the tracks that fit the song and make it a better song. 

BMI/NSAI

Starise
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 09:54:54 (permalink)
yorolpal

I guess the word "cheating" might have been the wrong way to describe what I intended to say. Maybe "alternate production techniques" would have been more appropriate. Cheating made for a more interesting discussion though;-)

I didn't intend to get anyones dander raised,in hindsight if I were using BB and someone thought it was cheating,then maybe I might get a little riled.Sorry guitarhacker,jonbouy. No harm intended there. I do like lively debate(please don't confuse that with ignorant feuding and aggressive bullying,name calling,insulting and the like).

The white elephant here is that most all music software could be viewed as "cheating" I guess. If a persons main goal is to play instuments well than maybe a focus on modern "alternate" production techniques isn't necessarily the best place to be unless said person is using the software as a kind of teacher in learning new chord structures or playing along with a better instrumentalist.

In the old days, good musicians got together in a decent studio and made music. I still value playing with other musicians and would always prefer the real thing over the alternatives,but also understand we ain't in the 60's/70's no mo.Not everyone has access to the playing live or with others.

IMO if in your world music is a product then by all means get it out anyhow anyway and never look back. If you value the social aspect of music,view music as a thing to be manicured and improved with no timelines or money demands then you would want real people interacting with the music(or maybe not).If your music carries a weighted message with a real importance,obviously you would want it to be something more than a commercial jingle.

Live session musicians very seldom are there to share in any kind of vision. They come,they play,someone writes them a check(its great ain't it). This is why so many studio recordings sound so sterile compared to a band that shares in the excitement. So you can even have a similar thing happening with real people playing.

The question is, For lack of a better description- Does the soul come through in your music? .................Hmmm...I wonder if Bethoven and Mozart would have used Sonar or BB? There would have been no need to use any of the local talent.I think the Kontakt samples might have pushed them over the edge,and where would we be then?

Chances are that they would have never been famous because music like theirs would have been a dime a dozen if peasantry could afford the same software.

Twitter @Rodein

munmun
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 11:08:14 (permalink)
It seems that some of us are using BIAB to create a template upon which to work.  I want to emphasize that is not the only way to use BIAB.  I have 2 strict rules with this program:

- if I play the instrument then no BIAB allowed
- BIAB drums not allowed.  They lack a certain something.
- no templates (the groove and feel in my head takes priority)

So against this backdrop I typically find a groove close to what I have in my head.  I care less about genre.  Sometimes inserting one genre into another can be quite interesting.  Check out my song "The world has lets its children down."

The piano track is BIAB.  I remember splicing together a number of piano genres in BIAB (one for verse 1, one for chorus, one for verse 2) etc to get to something varied and interesting.  Also the drums and bass were already recorded.  So BIAB needed to fit into my music and not the other way around.  The piano part was pretty enough where I gave it an honourable mention at the end of the song.
batsbrew
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 11:21:05 (permalink)
well, think of a more advanced version of this, being something akin to what Trent Reznor has done with Nine Inch Nails

i mean, he's basically using a very sophisticated and hands on version of band in a box.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Guitarhacker
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 11:53:59 (permalink)
I use BB, because in my local area, the availability and level of musicianship of most of the locals is lacking the level of professionalism I would like to have in my songs.  Hiring studio musicians is out of the question due to the number of songs I write and the cost of using their services. Until I begin to make a substantial income from music, that is just the way it is. 

For example, a buddy, whom I used to attend church with,  a bass player and owner of MC2, and I , had spoken multiple times about recording. It took months to get him to the studio to record a track. In the end, he wasn't into it and I had to scrap the track he recorded, and use a synth to lay down the part. My synth part was hands down, so much better. 

When I write a song, I want the parts finished in a timely manner, and to wait on someone else to (begrudgingly) find the time in their schedule is not what I want to do. The same thing applies quite often to internet collaborations. In all fairness to the people here in the Cakewalk forums, I have had some really good experiences with those long distance collaborations. 

I wrote a song back in the spring. It took months to get a female vocalist to actually show up. I have no control over female vocalists so I am stuck having to put those songs on the shelf and wait patiently.  Actually supposed to have a session scheduled tonight to begin the female vox on a new tune. We'll see if this one happens or not. 

Oh and yes..... there are some people here who do consider BB "cheating" or something less than being a real musician for using it. I consider it a tool to accomplish the task at hand. 

And BB is such an amazing program. the programming that went into it is astounding. 

Are you aware that you can import an audio file of a song, and BB will analyze it telling you what key it's in, the tempo and map out the chords with pretty decent accuracy? You can then use that output file to render other tracks. That is just one thing it can do. the way I use it is a very practical way, and I have not even bothered to dig into the deeper areas of what it can do. I dig deep enough to accomplish the task at hand.

BMI/NSAI

Dave Modisette
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 12:01:10 (permalink)
Starise

Wow, a pretty cool result there and a use I had not considered. I noticed the most recent BB has P&W tracks in it as well.I could see using it if I could add my  real instruments into it like that......and I like it when people write me checks too.....

It was really nice because I could insert a IV chord and let her hear it and then change it to a iim7 and ask if that sounded better to her.  I got the basic chords in first then started adding substitutions and passing chords all the while checking to see if this was within the client's vision for the song.

Back in that version of BIAB, I had to export the midi to SONAR.   Does BIAB record audio now?

My music.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 12:01:14 (permalink)
Never used BiaB, but I once toyed with the somewhat similar "assistant" that was included in Guitar Studio 2, back in the days. 

As it turned out, those things never really sit well with my workflow, but I wouldn't discard them altogether. I remember on instance where I came up with an entirely different idea for an arrangement as a result of fooling around with styles, something I would never have thought of otherwise. 

It's almost like when the drummer in your band insists on collaborating in the songwriting process and keeps piling up silly ideas but suddenly comes up with a very good one by accident. ;)

What's cheating in a world where music is put together instead of performed, "singers" are all autotuned, hooks are almost systematically lifted/quoted from hits of the past decades, drums are quantized and "enhanced" with sampled, guitars are comp'ed from 127 takes?

Cheating would be sticking to authentic performances from real musicians. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Dave Modisette
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 12:06:03 (permalink)
I've often asked for something that would amount to EZbass, EZpiano, EZorgan etc. both here in this forum as well as Toontracks.  The concept would play right into the Studio Instruments line for Cakewalk and obviously Toontrack too. 

It would be a sampler to produce the sounds, a librarian to store and organize a groove library and an interface that would allow you to audition, transpose or change the inversion of chords prior to drag and drop into your project.

No one seems interested.

My music.
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Band-In-The Box, is it cheating? 2011/10/06 12:25:15 (permalink)
munmun

It seems that some of us are using BIAB to create a template upon which to work.  I want to emphasize that is not the only way to use BIAB.  I have 2 strict rules with this program:

- if I play the instrument then no BIAB allowed
- BIAB drums not allowed.  They lack a certain something.
- no templates (the groove and feel in my head takes priority)

This discussion on BIAB has triggered me to actually start using it since I got it earlier this year. I also agree with your rules munmun (except for the part that says "2 strict rules" but listed 3. lol)  

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1