Basic Question

Author
LunaticFringe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2008/11/18 19:18:18 (permalink)

Basic Question

Really new to recording at anything more than an extreme beginner level. I've been wondering for quite some time, what is the 'master bus'? What is it's purpose and importance? Also what is bouncing? Just jargon for moving a track to a different program?

3 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Basic Question 2008/11/18 19:23:19 (permalink)
    Think of your master bus as a funnel. Everything you hear...every track will eventually funnel through your master bus to your speakers.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Basic Question 2008/11/19 05:25:30 (permalink)
    Bouncing is exporting your song project as an audio file.

As skullsession said everything should go through the masterbus. It has many purpouses and one is to check for overs so your music don't clip while bouncing. The masterbus is also used for (pre-)mastering (tweaking the oerall sound of the whole song to make it sound extra good). Also fade-outs etc (often created during premastering).

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    R!Soc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: Basic Question 2008/11/19 10:18:22 (permalink)
    The above are good answers.

Wikipedia give the following:

An electrical bus (sometimes spelled buss) is a physical electrical interface where many devices share the same electric connection. This allows signals to be transferred between devices (allowing information or power to be shared). A bus often takes the form of an array of wires that terminate at a connector which allows a device to be plugged into the bus.

I think this is another good explanation because what we have in sonar simulates electrical hardware (a mixing board) that does the same thing.

Bouncing - I'm having difficulty finding a good definition for that one. It probably originated back when you would record your audio on something like a 24 track, 2 inch tape reel, do your mix, and then take that mix and combine it by recording - or bouncing - it to .25 inch, 2 track tape.

Like Legion said, you can do the same thing in Digital Audio Workstations. One scenario would be after you are finished mixing and you bounce the result to a single wave file. Or, you might have a soft synth that requires a heavy processor load, so you bounce the audio from that soft synth to an audio file, thus letting you disable the soft synth and free up processor cycles.

HTH
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1