Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mikespitzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
2011/02/15 10:46:33 (permalink)

Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios

In the past I have worked with other musicians and my keyboard player would lay down orchestra pads, strings, arpeggiated string sections, choirs, etc.. behind my guitar tracks if the songs called for such a thing.

Now that I am solo, I have tried the guitar synths on the market and been less than pleased .... they track too slowly.

This would be my first foray into using MIDI sequencing for composing a full orchestra section behind my live guitars and violins.

What is the best software out there for use in SONAR to compose these kind of Orchestra type backing tracking ?

Thanks

80 Replies Related Threads

giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 10:50:19 (permalink)
    i think roland had just released a new guitar synth/modelling pedal which is supposed to be 40% faster than any previous releases. I've watched the demo in NAMM and it looks good. You'll have to be an extremely fast guitar player for it to lose track.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 10:56:48 (permalink)
    Mike, have you tried the Garritan Pocket Orchestra that ships with Dim Pro?

You might find something useful there.

Failing that, there's always the East West libraries on the cheaper end of the market.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 13:47:24 (permalink)
    Omnisphere is the undisputed king of pads.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 13:55:07 (permalink)
    The Komplete 7 collection is nice.... the specific one in the package would be Kontakt 4. But if you can swing the entry price tag..... go K7.

The complete collection has a bucket load of really nice string, horn, orchestral samples, choirs, pads, and other various cool & interesting sounds.

When I need nice sound strings and horns, Kontakt 4 & EWQL is my go to synths. I have a limited version of EWQL that was available for free some time back,  with a very small sample set included but there is one really sweet string section included.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 14:49:26 (permalink)
    Question .....

these software packages you guys recommend ....

Are these Software Synths that you compose using PRV  (like BFD Drums)

Or

Are they Samples you put together in Track View kind of like "acidized loops and samples" ?

Since I am 100% new to this "virtual and synthetic" way of creating backing tracks I am trying to get a feel for the interface and how the software would be used.

I am familiar with BFD Drums and other drumming software programming using Midi and PRV

But as mentioned earlier, all my other instrumentation has always been "real musicians" playing audio in the past

So this will be a new venture for me to learn

Thanks for the start in the right direction
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 16:13:58 (permalink)
    vienna is pretty cool ! I wouldnt recommend eastwest,as their PLAY engine is rubbish-loads of people have trouble with it.
    Kev
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 19:00:48 (permalink)
    K7 and most of it's synths are designed to be used with midi from a source track. There are many ways to get that data into the source track. I often use my midi keyboard to actually play the string, horn, piano parts and then simply assign the synth using the patch or sample I need for the part.

With the drums, many people drag clips and loops in to the source track rather than writing the tracks note by note. Again a keyboard or synth drum kit can be used to input the data.

How fast you can track a midi track for a string or piano part using a midi keyboard would depend greatly on how well you can actually play a piano. If you play well, one time through, a few minutes maybe to edit in staff mode.... and you're done.  I'm  not an expert keyboard player but I can often lay down a string or horn part in short order.

For drums ..... if you do not play them, I heartily recommend that you check out Jamstix. It will actually create a unique drum track for you in the style and genre you select. Jamstix home page  I have this and it is quite amazing how well this works and sounds.

hope this helps you some. To be a "one man band" in a studio these days is not as difficult as it would have been just 10 years ago. the software out there will really help you get a good sound.

BMI/NSAI

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 19:39:09 (permalink)
    Here is a clip of snippets from various songs I put together with orchestral software.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7306809
    I'm primarily a guitar player so I played all the parts from a midi keyboard.
    If this is what you had in mind I can elaborate.
    P.S. If you listen with headphones the stereo fx and panning are a bit more apparent.
    post edited by RLD - 2011/02/15 19:41:53
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 19:45:13 (permalink)
    by source track, do you mean editing in piano roll view in sonar ?
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/15 20:14:56 (permalink)
    A source track is the track that contains the midi data that you are recording from the keyboard or writing in, or dragging in.  the source track send it's data to the synth which is in am audio track that is linked to the source.

Different DAW's will show this in console/track view differently. 

If you open staff view or Piano roll view you are editing the source track if you can see the notes. Only midi shows up in those 2 views.

Every time you insert a synth into a project using the INSERT SYNTH command, whether your DAW shows it or not, 2 tracks are being added. One is the midi source track and the other is the audio track where the synth lives.... as I like to say... it is actually the synth audio output track.

If you are new to midi, it might seem a bit confusing but work with it a bit and it becomes easy to understand. Go to my website and check out the music info pages I have there. You might find some useful things.

DO you have SONAR as your DAW? If so, you should have TTS and some other synths to get started with.

TTS is actually a pretty capable basic little synth with some pretty good general midi (GM) sounds in it, including some strings and horns.  I go into setting it up in a multi channel midi mode to play 3 things at one time as well as setting it up from drums.  It's a great synth to learn on. And if it's in SONAR, you already have it.

BMI/NSAI

mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/17 00:15:30 (permalink)
    RLD

What Orchestral Software is that you used on those very impressive "movie soundtrack" sounding clips ?

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/17 02:21:22 (permalink)
    If you want somthing that sounds good and don't want to break the bank look at Yellowtools Symphonic Orchestra that runs in Independence Free
    http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=987

You get some very nice strings, brass and winds by Kirk Hunter for 99 Euros (83.19 Euros if you live outside the EU). If there is a let down its in the percussion.

Obviously at this price they are not the most detailed library available, but they sound very nice. You can also get the strings, brass, woodwind and percussion as seperate packages, but its more expensive that way.

You get keyswitching too which is nice thing to have at this price. You can switch between articulations by inseting notes below the playable range of the instrument into the MIDI track, so you can build a preformance that switches between legato, pizzicato, tremalo etc in the same midi track.

This used to be my goto for strings but I have now got the more detailed (and more expensive) Kirk Hunter Pop and Rock strings, which comes highly recommended.

As other have said the speed that you can put things together in Piano Roll but it will be faster if you can play keyboards a bit. If you do have a keyboard but can't play well step input is probably faster than PRV.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/17 10:30:47 (permalink)
    catanya is the best arpeggiator I know of.  

If you do not want to edit single midi note or play on the keyboard this is the ticket.

Unfortunately it is a little buggy in Sonar, but as long as you only have 1 midi channel active  at a time and no other vsti's with midi output enabled, it works great.

http://www.7aliens.com/product-catanya.php

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/17 23:33:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the suggestions above.
    I spent a few hours today playing around with different Synth software and orchestra sounds.

One thing I learned really quick .....  it is REALLY helpful to be a keyboard player if you try to create music this way.

Even the simple task of setting up a basic string section chord progressions was a major task using only PRV or step sequencing.

Then when it came time for complex melodies and counterpoints ...... ouch !!!

I can see why MIDI grew out of the world of Keyboards.

There must be a better way than I discovered to use these programs if you are not a keyboard player.

It is too clunky to pull up a sound.... then PRV write in your A, C, E, G notes for an Am7 chord ..... then go in and fiddle with all the delay, velocity, decay, envelopes, etc..  to try and emulate real human playing variations.

It may be okay to PRV an entire DRUM song ........ but complex harmonies and melodies for an 8 piece mini-orchestra piece ........ YIKES !!!

A few people have advised me to take a look at the new Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth.

Unlike guitar synths of the past (GR30 and GR-33), that had slow tracking limitations and could not keep up with even quarter note scales or arpeggios played at much over 120 pbm .......... these people (and ROLAND) claim they now have the response time of guitar synths to the same level of performance as keyboard synths.

Virtually no delay time.
    Virtually no tracking limitations up to 12 notes per second  (about Yngwie Malmsteen speed)

900 sampled  string, horn, vocal choir, pads, piano, organ etc.....   sounds all at 24 bit.

Ability to blend 2-3 tones at the same time.
    Full editing.

Fully responsive to pick attack, vibrato and all other playing techniques.

As a 100% guitarist, then sounds promising.

Of course unlike MIDI editing, you can't create and build an error free track ......... you have to be able to perform whatever it is you are recording (kind of like real orchestra people) ..... but it should certainly allow for a very human and LIVE feel to the tracks since technically speaking every time you hit a string you hit it slightly different.

I may give this a try

But I still welcome any tips on how to more quickly compose chord progressions and overlayed melodies with 6-8 different Orchestra instruments using things like Dimension Pro and the other software recommended above.

It seems just writing the notes in PRV  (as I have done with drum tracks) or using step sequencer could take WEEKS to write a simple 5 minute tune.

So there must be a better way I don't know about.

Thanks

Glyn Barnes
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/18 05:00:04 (permalink)
    Here are a couple of ideas.

If you are a guitarist you will have a pretty good sense of rhythm so you could probably just play any old chord on a keyboard with the right timings and duration, then go in to PRV and drag the notes to the right pitch. It doesn't even have to be proper chord, any old notes would do (if you can stand the racket). This would quicker than step adding the notes in step entry or PRV, as the slowest part of that process is getting the timing and duration right.

If you have repeating patterns but with different chords you can create a midi groove clip and repeat it through the section and have it follow the pitch defined in markers (or you could use transpose to permanently alter the clip).

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    RLD
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/18 09:33:34 (permalink)
    mikespitzer

RLD

What Orchestral Software is that you used on those very impressive "movie soundtrack" sounding clips ?

Hey Mike,
    I primarily used Miroslav Philarmonik and Stormdrum for those.
    I would also add don't be afraid of getting a midi keyboard.
    I'm not, and one certainly doesn't have to be a great keyboard player to use these programs.
    A good ear is more important.
    Playing the parts then editing in PRV is pretty standard for us geetar playing, keyboard wanna be's.
    RLD
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/18 11:06:35 (permalink)
    Mike, you may find this vid interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3e15IcoCY
    I tend to play more parts in real time, then go back and clean up, but all the editing moves he does are very typical when creating this type of music.
    He is much faster than most though...
    collisionmac
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/18 11:36:14 (permalink)
    For orchestra i use Edirol HQ Orchestral and Miroslav Philarmonik. Can't go wrong with either of them imo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The cost of your equipment simply doesn't matter to me. Get over it. 
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/18 18:30:25 (permalink)
    Mike S - did you take a look at Catanya ??

I have Catanya and while I was at the 7aliens site i checked out W2 harmonizer and bought it.

Getting midi notes to trigger a soft synth could not be easier....one finger and endless chord inversions, scales etc.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 00:58:47 (permalink)
    I have to confess I am having problems grasping they way these Synth programs work even at the most basic level.

Before looking into paying for any other software right now, I have spent a few hours trying to experiment with Dimension Pro just to get exposed to how creating music with MIDI works
    (note - all my past recording experience has been live instruments with my only exposure to MIDI being using PRV with BFD drums).

After several hours I can't figure out the logic of how to use something as simple as Dimension Pro.

For example, I insert a SYNTH track.
    I use Dimension Pro.

I call up a program "Full Strings and Bows .sfz"
    I go ahead and PRV draw in a simple chord progression
    No problem so far.

NOW, here is the very basic principle I can't figure out with this software interface.......

I want to change to another sound ... for example Vocal Choir

But once I call up another program to start working on a melody, it changes the voices of the chord progression I just created.

I can't figure out how to select and use 8-10 different instruments unless I put them all on seperate tracks and that is of course impractical for electronic composing.

My gut instinct tells me I need to have multiple instances of DIM PRO opened inside a single track so I can access all the different instruments.

Unfortunately I have searched and been unable to find even a simple Tutorial for learning to use Dimension Pro to PRV compose a simple arrangement using 8-10 different instruments.

Any help gang ?

Thanks

Glyn Barnes
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 07:14:15 (permalink)
    mikespitzer

I can't figure out how to select and use 8-10 different instruments unless I put them all on seperate tracks and that is of course impractical for electronic composing.

My gut instinct tells me I need to have multiple instances of DIM PRO opened inside a single track so I can access all the different instruments. 

You are not missing much - that is exactly how it works, except the multi instances of Dim Pro go on different tracks. I am not sure why you say having separate tracks is impractical. I would have thought the reverse to be true, but I am use the way it works, having worked with Midi since the 1980's and I may not see the wood for the trees.

Dim Pro is not multi-timbral so you have to have a separate instance for each program. Some other samplers such as Yellow Tools Independence and Kontakt are multi-timbral, meaning you can load several instruments into the same instance of the VSTi, They have an internal mixer and the ability to assign multiple outputs. Typically one would still have a separate midi track for each instrument however.

It is possible in PRV to see several tracks superimposed if you want a bigger picture.
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2011/02/19 07:17:02

mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 08:32:14 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes,

You made this comment in your post above ...
     "It is possible in PRV to see several tracks superimposed if you want a bigger picture. "

Your point about DIM PRO not being multi-timbral is possibly why I have not been able to figure this out easily ..... it sounds like Independence and Kontakt work more like a BFD drum syth software with built in mixer, assignable outputs, mulitple instruments, etc...

THAT idea of overlaying/superimposing PRV from multiple tracks must be the technique I not knowledgable on.
    (ie....  how to do all my composing with multiple instruments on a single overlayed/superimposed PRV so I can see all the instrument's relationship to each other on a single screen).

In other words, I am trying to work like in the video RLD suggested to me above ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3e15IcoCY

This is what I have been trying to accomplish........ 
    Do all my composing on a "single" PRV screen, but having the mulitple instances of DIM PRO (and eventually a better software) showing on the right hand of screen so I can for example click on the Full Strings and paint in my chord progressions, then click on the flute and add a simple melody, then click on the bassoon and add a bass line, etc..etc..

The way the guy is working in the video above is exactly what I have been trying to figure out how to do

Thanks

P.S.
    With synths like Independance and Kontakt, it sounds like you may not need the overlay PRV views if they are multitimbral and give you access to so many instruments from one instance ????
    post edited by mikespitzer - 2011/02/19 08:38:03
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 09:17:30 (permalink)
    Hmmmm  .. I THINK I am figuring this out slowly .........

First insert multiple tracks of Synths for the voices (patches) I want to use.
    Strings, Piano, Choir, FLute, etc..

Then go to Standard PRV (not inline PRV)

Select the Tracks I want to see inside the PRV

Click on Show Tracks

Click on instrument (DIM PRO instance) on right hand column and draw notes as needed

etc...

Sound right ?

You know the old adage ........... everything is simple to understand after you know how it works -or- somebody walks you thru it one time so you can see it.  

post edited by mikespitzer - 2011/02/19 09:19:51
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 11:33:55 (permalink)
    Mike - It can definitely be confusing at first.  A low cost really good orchestral program is GPO which uses the Aria engine.  You can have multiple midi tracks each with it's own channel triggering different instruments in Aria.  Then you can open up all the midi source tracks together and do the same thing as shown in that video.  It is only about $100 and it is very good.  A lot of people here use it.  There is no dongle too.  It doesn't have a gigantic library.  After lots of research on different orchestral packages last year, I chose GPO.   Prior to that I used Dim Pro for orchestral sounds.  GPO provides all the needed orchestral controls that Dim Pro really isn't built for.  If you want to switch articulations easily and have complete contol over volume and expression you need an orchestral package of some sort.  There are a lot of them, and if you can swing the cash, Kontakt, Vienna, and others would be excellent too.  I found that GPO fit my needs perfectly at a low cost.
    M@ B
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1128
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 14:44:02 (permalink)
    thanks to all in the thread. i'm in a similar boat as the op, primarily a stringed/analog musician learning midi out of necessity. it's pretty cool so far i must say.

thanks mikespitzer, you saved me a lot of time editing individual midi tracks. you wrote in post 24 "... Select the Tracks I want to see inside the PRV, Click on show all tracks..." i had been double clicking the clip in track view and editing each track one at a time in prv. this was very redundant especially when restructuring the song. i will try this new approach today.

if i may ask a question,
    after reading the documentation, i still dont quite understand the various settings from the "insert soft synth settings options" dialogue box. could someone help by explaining when the particular check boxes should be selected for a given soft synth? thanks.

guitartrek
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 15:22:52 (permalink)
    Here is a simple explanation of the dialogue box:

Simple Instrument Track - if you want the midi track and audio track to be one track.  This is a relatively new feature - I don't use it.  But a lot of people do.   This is as opposed to the traditional Midi track / Audio track.

MIDI Source - If you want to create a midi track right away this will create a midi track and point it to your soft synth.

Synth Track Folder - if you want the midi and audio track to be included in a new folder.  This is handy - I use this

First Synth Audio Output - Creates a stereo Audio track for your virtual synth - Its input points to your soft synth

All synth Audio Outputs: Creates a bunch of audio tracks for your soft synth - if you have multiple outs from your synth.  For example, for drum synths, it will create different audio tracks for each kit piece.  Or if you have Kontakt and are using it for different instruments, this is put each instrument on a separate track.

If you don't check any of the boxes Sonar will just add the synth to the synth rack.  You can create all the tracks you need manually and rout the inputs and outputs later. 

Midi Source track Output--> Soft synth --> Audio track input
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 15:45:32 (permalink)
    Hey MIDI wizards, I have a really basic question about "humanizing" these MIDI events after I PRV compose a full song.

After I have structured the song, I have started to go into each note to make subtle edits to try and make it sound more like real human players with minor variations and even minute flaws.

But it appears in PRV when looking at an individual note, you really don't have much control to edit more than the  VELOCITY and DURATION.

What if I want to add just a slight detune to that one note (like a string player being a little sharp)
    OR maybe a small hint of vibrato on just that one instance of the note ??

It seems this sample based MIDI Synth programming is based on the idea that you get tonal variety from the velocity layers and you don't have that kind of full control over individual notes.
    You basically just get control of the Velocity and Duration ?

I am thinking back to my days of programming a Yamaha RY30 drum machine synthesizer.
    All the drum samples (snares, kick, toms, etc..) were composed of layered WAV.

After you programmed your basic song, you could go back to individual hits of an instrument and have full control over micro-editing ......

Velocity
    Decay
    Pitch ( +/- 0.001 cent resolution)
    Balance between the WAV layers
    Attack
    and more .....

In theory, if you went totally nuts you could have a songs where every single strike of the snare drum throughout the song was slightly different for the ultimate in human realism.

You could also totally eliminate the "machine gun" effect in fast snare rolls or tom fills, etc...

Maybe since I am new to MIDI, I am missing something and you don't have this kind of microscopic control of every aspect of the sound.

Instead, the idea of Velocity Layered samples of real instruments recorded in a studio and stored in your Synth libraries is the way you obtain the realism in todays' MIDI music world ????

guitartrek
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 16:39:31 (permalink)
    Mike - as far as drums go, you can vary the velocities from note to note.  But what you really want is accomplished by the more sophisticated drum samplers.  I use Superior Drummer 2.0.  It has all kinds of "humanizing" features.  For example, even if every velocity is exactly the same on the snare, Superior Drummer 2.0 has a bunch of waves that were recorded at each velocity so they automatically alternate these samples.  It is extremely realistic sounding.

For Bass I use Trilian which does essentially the same thing where the've got multiple samples for different velocities. 

These types of programs have huge libraries because of all the samples.

With the orchestral packages you have much more control besides just velocities.  The amount of control depends on the package.  The more expensive the package, generally the larger the library and the more control you get.  GPO's library isn't that big but for me it's got plenty, and I don't use velocity to control volume, I use continuous controllers to create swells, just like a string player would use a bow. 
    mikespitzer
    Re:Best Software for Orchestra Pads, Strings, Arpeggios 2011/02/19 16:53:43 (permalink)
    Guitartek

Based on what I am experimenting with now .......

I assume Orchestra samples with Dimension Pro are somewhat limited in terms of "note by note"  micro editing like I described.

When working in PRV with the simple song I created today, when I right-click on a note in PRV for any instrument all I see is the basic controls for VELOCITY and DURATION as far as tailoring that single notes traits.

True, I can use the Dim pro Synth interface to make changes to the Tone itself .......... but then that change applies to all times that tone is used.

What I am trying to do is get the basic tone and song structure written with lots of copy and pasting -------- then go back across the whole song and make minor random tweaks to various notes at random to add a more inconsistent human feel

For example, maybe just one time during the whole song, while the viola section is playing a Bm7b5 chord, I might have one of the violas fret the F note slighly sharp by a few cents just that one time ........... but all the other times the same chord will be perfect.

I can't see how to have that level of control on a note by note level
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1