Helpful ReplyBig announcements coming June 1st, 2016

Page: << < ..4647 > Showing page 46 of 47
Author
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:30:41 (permalink)
jfcomposer

...but you don't give trophies to kids on a baseball team because they ran fast in the wrong direction. 

Then again... maybe they do.  Bad analogy.

You would give them trophies anyway, because they are kids.

If a bunch of adult people run by intention in a specific direction, the term "wrong" might be arguable. ;)

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:33:22 (permalink)
cparmerlee
TerraSin
Cake has been working their butts off on these things and have been very generous to us the past few years only to be torn down by some people here who are being very entitled in their opinions over this because it doesn't directly effect them.

I agree with what you are saying.  And in the end, this can be a very good thing for the existing base of Windows users, or it could be the beginning of the end.  We don't know.  Nothing is guaranteed in such a crowded industry.

I do hope you can also recognize that the negative or lukewarm reaction is understandable (even if the rudeness is distasteful) because the company coupled a "paid up forever" offer with the announcement of the new platform.  It is quite reasonable for people to assume it is a quid pro quo; as in "The good news is you can make only one payment forever.  The bad news is there isn't any 'ever' after that."

And frankly with the company being so absolutely giddy over this, that only reinforces the suspicions of betrayal.

If I were in charge of the marketing, I would never have put the two things together.  That only invited these suspicions.  A better marketing message, IMHO, would be to separate the Mac announcement as its own event, and reinforce how Mac inherits all the great stuff that has been built for the Windows environment.  And separately present the "reward" for loyal customers, together with the commitment of additional 2016 features.  Marketing involves a lot of subtlety.  It is very easy to send unintended messages if the tone is just slightly off.

In the end, everybody will somehow survive June 1 and we will get on with our lives.  Either this bold new strategy will work and we will all be proud to be on the best multi-platform DAW, or else it won't and we'll move on from there.  Gnashing of teeth won't really change anything.

cparmerlee
TerraSin
Cake has been working their butts off on these things and have been very generous to us the past few years only to be torn down by some people here who are being very entitled in their opinions over this because it doesn't directly effect them.

I agree with what you are saying.  And in the end, this can be a very good thing for the existing base of Windows users, or it could be the beginning of the end.  We don't know.  Nothing is guaranteed in such a crowded industry.

I do hope you can also recognize that the negative or lukewarm reaction is understandable (even if the rudeness is distasteful) because the company coupled a "paid up forever" offer with the announcement of the new platform.  It is quite reasonable for people to assume it is a quid pro quo; as in "The good news is you can make only one payment forever.  The bad news is there isn't any 'ever' after that."

And frankly with the company being so absolutely giddy over this, that only reinforces the suspicions of betrayal.

If I were in charge of the marketing, I would never have put the two things together.  That only invited these suspicions.  A better marketing message, IMHO, would be to separate the Mac announcement as its own event, and reinforce how Mac inherits all the great stuff that has been built for the Windows environment.  And separately present the "reward" for loyal customers, together with the commitment of additional 2016 features.  Marketing involves a lot of subtlety.  It is very easy to send unintended messages if the tone is just slightly off.

In the end, everybody will somehow survive June 1 and we will get on with our lives.  Either this bold new strategy will work and we will all be proud to be on the best multi-platform DAW, or else it won't and we'll move on from there.  Gnashing of teeth won't really change anything.

Well we thought it better to let people know the whole story. I am sure if we had released this in different parts, we'd still have questions. I think the one message it reinforces is we are listening to feedback from the community and are serious about SONAR. You do realize no matter what we did, someone would be unhappy :)
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:52:47 (permalink)
TerraSin
I can't believe how rude some people here have been. Cake has been working their butts off on these things and have been very generous to us the past few years only to be torn down by some people here who are being very entitled in their opinions over this because it doesn't directly effect them.

It's a question of overhyping. We were specifically told to wait until June 1st, at which time there will be something big that will affect us all. We already knew about lifetime updates (which is really great). SONAR on Mac is great news for about 2% of CW's current users. We get updated/new features every month, so not really much surprising there. Not saying those aren't nice, those are all great thanks CW!

Then again, I'm perfectly happy with SONAR and where it is going both before and after this "big announcement". I just didn't need the overhyping and then finding out it is basically nothing really.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:03:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TerraSin 2016/06/01 18:08:44
SilkTone

SONAR on Mac is great news for about 2% of CW's current users. 

FWIW - the current survey results suggests 70% of people are interested in SONAR OS X Alpha. We're still collecting results, but it hasn't swayed much from 70% all day. Very different from your assumption of 2%.

Personally, I've been hearing "when will SONAR be released on a Mac?" directly from both Cakewalk customers and people who use competitor products for YEARSI've heard it at tradeshows, on emails and phones in my support days, from my colleagues at my part-time job at Berklee (where everyone BUT me refused to use anything but a Mac). If I'm being honest, it started to become really tiresome because for so long we had zero agenda of ever making it a reality. In my circles, SONAR on Mac has been in high demand for years.

Anyhow, I could go on for a while with random anecdotes, but I just felt the need to point out a lot more then 2% of current Cakewalk customers are expressing interest. That is insanely off the mark with what our users are and have been telling us.

Edit: typos
post edited by Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk] - 2016/06/01 17:26:24

Ryan Munnis
Cakewalk
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:03:46 (permalink)
I'm just wondering if the multi-version bugs we work around will be built into the MAC version. Seriously.

I was hoping for an announcement about a ground up rebuild of Sonar PC that got rid of the legacy code that has caused issues in eliminating bugs. Other than the lifetime upgrade issue there is nothing immediate, everything is prefaced by we will, we can, we plan, stay tuned.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:06:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dcumpian 2016/06/02 08:48:37
ampfixer
I'm just wondering if the multi-version bugs we work around will be built into the MAC version. Seriously.

I was hoping for an announcement about a ground up rebuild of Sonar PC that got rid of the legacy code that has caused issues in eliminating bugs. Other than the lifetime upgrade issue there is nothing immediate, everything is prefaced by we will, we can, we plan, stay tuned.

Part of the announcement is to dig and improve some certain core areas. I think it's called a Commitment to Awesomeness :)

Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:08:19 (permalink)
SilkTone
TerraSin
I can't believe how rude some people here have been. Cake has been working their butts off on these things and have been very generous to us the past few years only to be torn down by some people here who are being very entitled in their opinions over this because it doesn't directly effect them.

It's a question of overhyping. We were specifically told to wait until June 1st, at which time there will be something big that will affect us all. We already knew about lifetime updates (which is really great). SONAR on Mac is great news for about 2% of CW's current users. We get updated/new features every month, so not really much surprising there. Not saying those aren't nice, those are all great thanks CW!

Then again, I'm perfectly happy with SONAR and where it is going both before and after this "big announcement". I just didn't need the overhyping and then finding out it is basically nothing really.

Lifetime is pretty big news. Many people outside this forum didn't know about it and now they do. And our commitment to improve some core areas of SONAR is pretty important to some folks. I think we all agree though that no matter what it was, there would be some people unpleased anyway :)
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:16:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2016/06/01 19:56:21
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
ampfixer

Part of the announcement is to dig and improve some certain core areas. I think it's called a Commitment to Awesomeness :)

Is awesome Overused?

Many object to the use of awesome to describe something (such as a sandwich) that does not literally elicit feelings of awe. Yet the same people who insist that awesome should be used only of weighty subjects (Niagara Falls, man landing on the moon) will happily use the word awful in reference to something (such as a mess) that falls distinctly short of being “full of awe.” This weakened sense was once considered improper – in fact, complaints about it persisted through the early decades of the 20th century.
The change in meaning that awesome is undergoing may be more recent than that of awful, but both words are treading the same path. For evidence that such change is normal, we need look no further than awe, which originally meant “terror” and now carries the weaker sense “wonder.”

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:17:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fresh101 2016/06/01 22:13:26
SilkTone
TerraSin

I have zero current plans to switch to MAC, however I have friends that only use MACs that I want them to get on the Sonar bandwagon.  It makes collaboration easier, and it means I can help them learn how to use the product without having to learn a new DAW myself.  (Learning a different DAW is a waste of time).  

It also should hopefully mean more people buying Sonar and therefore more resources to making the whole system better which benefits us die hard PC users.  Even as someone that has a long list of things I strongly dislike about MACs, lack of support for Sonar, will no longer be one of them, and that is a good thing.  

It is a big announcement any way you look at it.  It also confirms Sonar is serious about sticking around, IMO.  
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:19:10 (permalink)
deleted

vanceen
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:48:19 (permalink)
I have to admit the OSX announcement was a bit of a letdown for me, although I pretty much thought that's what the big news was going to be.

If it makes Cakewalk a stronger company with more resources because of a larger user base, that's good with me.

I suppose there's a chance they would go the way of Logic and drop Windows support. But it doesn't seem likely, since it would mean dropping most of their user base. Still, I'm not switching to Apple.

SONAR Platinum
Windows 10
ASUS X99E WE
Core i7 5960X  
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2133 C13
Fireface UFX USB driver 1.098
GeForce GTX 950
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 17:55:39 (permalink)
Is this a big announcement ? Yes, definitely.
Do I care ?   Not really.
Yet I am much surprised by all the critics, what have you expected bakers to say in a first place: " Big announcement coming ! (not relevant for PC users) " ?
post edited by Afrodrum - 2016/06/01 18:16:59

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 19:16:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rtucker55 2016/06/01 20:12:33
vanceen

I suppose there's a chance they would go the way of Logic and drop Windows support. 

There is also a chance that hell might freeze over sometime :)

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Andrew Rossa
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 19:18:07 (permalink)
Jari
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]All purchases from Sweetwater will be fine. They are all set. I am hoping JRR will fix soon. We like them too but they have the wrong SKU up. Might be a time difference thing.

Is AudioDeluxe ok?

Audio Deluxe is ok. JRR Shop is all set now. They fixed it earlier this afternoon. 
yevster
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 19:59:44 (permalink)
The sky isn't falling.

I am (and always was) one of the more bitter skeptics of many things Cakewalk does. With the benefit of some years behind me, it's safe to say, many of the things I was skeptical about are starting to pan out nicely.

* I was skeptical about the rolling update model, but it worked.
* I was furious about the unreliability and bugginess of the DAW, but much of that is in the past now.
* I was disappointed with the ergonomics of the DAW, but with some tweaking, it's actually well ahead of the competition. And oh yeah, the performance still kills it.

So, what do the lifetime updates mean from a cynic's perspective? The DAW is becoming more and more commoditized and more and more serves as a marketplace for other commercial products. LANDR, Soundcloud, Gobbler are already being sold through SONAR and other DAWs in addition to all the instruments and effects. I expect more will come.

Thus, a user who keeps using Sonar and never pays for another update offers far more revenue than a user who buys Sonar and never uses it again, even though they have paid the same number of dollars out of pocket. 

This suggests a couple of probable outcomes: while lifetime upgrades are currently being offered only for Platinum, this is likely a push to sell upgrades rather than a true limitation. I suspect we'll see lifetime updates for other editions in a while. Also, while the lifetime updates are likely marketed as a limited-time offer, I think it's likely that they will either not disappear or eventually reappear. Because Cakewalk has an incentive to keep its customers up to date if only so that they can provide the next built-in integration with a commercial third party service.

(Edit: grammar)
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 20:20:36 (permalink)
I'm happy for Cakewalk who apparently ported this sucker to OS X.

kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 20:22:43 (permalink)
ampfixer
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]
ampfixer

Is awesome Overused?

Many object to the use of awesome to describe something (such as a sandwich) that does not literally elicit feelings of awe. Yet the same people who insist that awesome should be used only of weighty subjects (Niagara Falls, man landing on the moon) will happily use the word awful in reference to something (such as a mess) that falls distinctly short of being “full of awe.” This weakened sense was once considered improper – in fact, complaints about it persisted through the early decades of the 20th century.
The change in meaning that awesome is undergoing may be more recent than that of awful, but both words are treading the same path. For evidence that such change is normal, we need look no further than awe, which originally meant “terror” and now carries the weaker sense “wonder.”

What an awesome post. 

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
skitch_84
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 480
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 20:36:25 (permalink)
I'm thrilled with the direction Cakewalk is going. Developing a Mac version shows us that they have a vested interest in the evolution and longevity of Sonar as a product. Ensuring that projects are cross-platform compatible means that they will not be able to favor Mac over Windows or Windows over Mac, as that would cause all sorts of issues when opening projects on the opposing platform. 

Regarding the future updates/enhancements: I would take improvement being made to the core functions of the DAW over bundled extras like loops and VIs any day. The decision to offer lifetime updates to SPlat coupled with making non-core feature additions a la carte is, in my opinion, a very smart decision and has the users' best interests at heart. I'd rather pay the lifetime membership price once, receive all of the essential updates to the core DAW, and then choose which non-essential add-ons I'd like to purchase, if any at all. 

Most of all, I think that the Cakewalk team is proving that they are committed to growing Sonar and proving to the pro and hobby audio community that they are a force to be reckoned with, with a DAW that is comparable to, if not leagues ahead of, any of the competing DAWs out there. Those of us who have been with Cakewalk for decades already know this; I hope that Cake is successful in this endeavor and the rest of the world comes to understand this too. 

Edited: spelling error
post edited by skitch_84 - 2016/06/01 21:55:22

Chris Porter
www.cportermusic.com
Listen to my original work on Soundcloud and YouTube
Get my original soundtracks on Bandcamp 
Sonar Platinum "2017.04", Windows 10 64-bit, ASUS Z170-A, i7 6700K (4.0GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 250GB SSD 850 EVO (OS/Sonar/Plugins), 1TB SSD 850 EVO (Sample Libraries), 3TB WD Black HDD (projects/audio), Noctua NH-D14 Cooling Unit, PreSonus AudioBox USB Interface, M-AUDIO Oxygen49
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 21:01:24 (permalink)
Chris... you are always such a beacon of clarity!  

As to posts questioning whether Sonar can compete with apple's logic... I have a couple logic user friends who've stated more than once they wish Sonar worked on the Mac.  I think this is a brilliant move.

So much blather... I really don't understand why some of you haven't gone elsewhere... then again, I'm sure there are people on all the other DAW forums bloviating just like U... semitrolls are everywhere!

I need to use the block function more often... it's always the same people... stuck on sucks... declutter!  Will start tonight!!!

Love the announcement!  Love the platform! Look forward to all the ideas we've shared for improving it! Will go lifetime with my next check!!!

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Mosvalve
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1194
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 21:53:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Vastman 2016/06/02 00:45:52
I look at the bright side of this. When I really get pissed off at MS Windows and had enough of it I now have an alternative OS I can switch to and still have Sonar. 

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
bluesplayer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 22:27:03 (permalink)
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
SilkTone

FWIW - the current survey results suggests 70% of people are interested in SONAR OS X Alpha. We're still collecting results, but it hasn't swayed much from 70% all day. Very different from your assumption of 2%.

Personally, I've been hearing "when will SONAR be released on a Mac?" directly from both Cakewalk customers and people who use competitor products for YEARSI've heard it at tradeshows, on emails and phones in my support days, from my colleagues at my part-time job at Berklee (where everyone BUT me refused to use anything but a Mac). If I'm being honest, it started to become really tiresome because for so long we had zero agenda of ever making it a reality. In my circles, SONAR on Mac has been in high demand for years.

Anyhow, I could go on for a while with random anecdotes, but I just felt the need to point out a lot more then 2% of current Cakewalk customers are expressing interest. That is insanely off the mark with what our users are and have been telling us.

I don't doubt your reported ~70% but being a statistician I DO DOUBT your survey method and the population sampled, sorry.

Sonar/CW is NOT a Mac product, per se, yet your numbers indicate that of the population, of PRIMARILY PC users of Sonar, that THAT 70% want a Mac version?   Really?

You can't ask the same 1000 Mac users over and over (in the studio mix booth, on the floor at conventions, etc.) and call that an increased sample (even in bootstrap sampling that's a foul).

I would suggest that your circle, not to mention  SAMPLE, sounds a little statistically biased. 

Cakewalk Staff
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 22:47:58 (permalink)
ampfixer

John, I'm being honest when I say this. The last thing you want from any software company like that has a product which has evolved over many years is a "ground up rewrite". Its a misconception that application rewrites result in better or bug free code. A rewrite of a complex feature rewrites introduce new bugs and in some cases reintroduce issues that were fixed years ago. Now multiply this by all the features that exist in an application. 
If we rewrote SONAR it would be many years before you saw the same level of maturity you see today.
What would happen if Microsoft rewrote Windows and discarded all the legacy code? You would have a new shiny OS with thousands of new bugs...

Noel Borthwick
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 22:52:55 (permalink)
bluesplayer
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
SilkTone

I don't doubt your reported ~70% but being a statistician I DO DOUBT your survey method and the population sampled, sorry.

Sonar/CW is NOT a Mac product, per se, yet your numbers indicate that of the population, of PRIMARILY PC users of Sonar, that THAT 70% want a Mac version?   Really?

You can't ask the same 1000 Mac users over and over (in the studio mix booth, on the floor at conventions, etc.) and call that an increased sample (even in bootstrap sampling that's a foul).

I would suggest that your circle, not to mention  SAMPLE, sounds a little statistically biased.

I was obviously exaggerating when I said it affects only 2% of current SONAR users (pulled out of the air), but you do bring up a good point. Specifically, my original comment (which is what Ryan replied to) was made in the context of current SONAR users, who obviously use SONAR on Windows. We were told that the June 1 announcement will affect all current users, hence my comment that the Mac version ended up not affecting many current SONAR users. How many of those users want a Mac version? I can't believe that it could possibly be as high as 70%.

However I can believe that when you add in non SONAR users, that the number might be that high. Of course if you ask any Mac user if they want SONAR on Mac they would say yes, whether they actually plan to use it or not.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 22:59:29 (permalink)
bluesplayer
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
SilkTone

Ryan meant that 70% of the people who responded to the form on this page were interested in the Mac version. Not 70% of our user base. 

>>I would suggest that your circle, not to mention  SAMPLE, sounds a little statistically biased. 
Not really. Its well known that there has been a large bias towards Mac in the music and art community as well as educational institutions that teach music and the fine arts. Ryan was quoting his experience at Berklee where until recently you couldn't even participate in their music programs without having a Mac.
I'm not arguing about the validity of this (we're have been a Windows company forever) but it is a reality. 

Noel Borthwick
Cakewalk Staff
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 23:04:37 (permalink)
SilkTone

We were told that the June 1 announcement will affect all current users, hence my comment that the Mac version ended up not affecting many current SONAR users. How many of those users want a Mac version? I can't believe that it could possibly be as high as 70%.

The Mac announcement was 1/3 of the full announcement. A big parts of the announcement was lifetime updates. This info was intended for a small set of users but was leaked earlier despite clear instructions that this was only intended for them. We can't control the internet unfortunately :).
Anyway keep that in mind looking at it as a whole.

Noel Borthwick
reza
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 23:35:13 (permalink)
I don't understand why some people are so unhappy about mac version. why we shouldn't see one day that most of the studios are using sonar instead of logic or protools or the other DAWs. I think it was a big jump for company and  also for us in the near future. I know each company stay on their feet by supporting their clients, but we shouldn't forget we also stand on our feet in this industry by what ever these companies bring for us. based on what ever i paid during this last 20 years to cakewalk i earned much much more from it( technology and money). and I am sure each of us that stick with cakewalk for long time, it is not because we are idiot, because we know sonar as a user friendly and powerful DAW that always is beyond the other DAWs. I am sure very soon most of the other companies will test their products with sonar first before protools or logic. I know it takes time but it will. unless the other companies provide more features.
Cakewalk has not stop and I think it is just a new start with a new recipe. :)
Thanks CAKEWALK

Love is the secret key of Eternity of Humanity.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87, 25GB DDR 3
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs),Sound Devices: Roland  V_STUDIO 700 SET
hevanw
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/02 01:28:25 (permalink)
Photo_G
Thanks Rocsee70, but that doesn't tell us what the right "SKU" is, so we don't make a mistake...whether buying from JRR or any other distributer.  For example, the name of the product directly from Cakewalk appears to be "SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates)", but I don't see that name listed on any other web site....and I'm not sure that's considered a SKU anyway.

FYI, the new SKUs are there. If you follow the link from their June Deals mail it now shows you the same SKUs as what you can see in the Cakewalk Store or e.g. at Sweetwater's. There is no mention about Lifetime though, but it's clear from the wordings that it's those new SKUs. Also, I'm not getting the automatic discount they mention in their mail. I guess in replacing the SKUs, they forgot to also apply the auto-discount.
I dropped them a note on both Lifetime and auto-discount.

Link: https://www.jrrshop.com/c...p;order=news_from_date

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/02 01:42:14 (permalink)
I think it's pretty big of the Bakers to get on here and take care of the straight up tantrums that people are throwing over the Mac version news. I really don't think they're on the hook if 1/3 of the news announcement isn't "big enough" for some people.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/02 02:19:30 (permalink)
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
SilkTone

All power to Cakewalk's foray into macland, but that is some seriously flawed methodology you've got there Ryan. You are one skewed bell curve away from denying climate change

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/02 07:41:32 (permalink)
The Mac announcement was 1/3 of the full announcement. A big parts of the announcement was lifetime updates. This info was intended for a small set of users but was leaked earlier despite clear instructions that this was only intended for them. We can't control the internet unfortunately :).

1/3 Mac -- this is a mixed bag for existing users.  Some want to go directly to Mac ASAP.  Many never want anything to do with Apple and are concerned that over time, your emphasis will drift to Mac.  Indeed, if the Mac market turns out to be as lucrative as indicated by the exuberance of some of the Cakewalk folks, that might be the best business decision.

1/3 lifetime updates -- We all know if something seems too good to be true, it probably is.  By coupling this with the Mac thing, the feeling of eventual abandonment is unavoidable.  I believe that was a marketing mistake, but it is what it is and everyone has no choice but to go on.

1/3 2016 enhancements -- Looks like nice stuff, but business as usual.  These are mostly features that are available in one or more other DAWs, so you have a competitive interest in bringing these things forward.   With the lifetime deal, you are asking for us to prepay for 2017 enhancements, after all.  We don't break even until we get 2018 enhancements. 

I am not unhappy.  I am simply trying to explain why the reaction has been different from what you might have had in mind.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Page: << < ..4647 > Showing page 46 of 47
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1