Helpful ReplyBig announcements coming June 1st, 2016

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 47
Author
bluesplayer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:48:27 (permalink)
1)  Lifetime updates - great! (got secret email over a week ago) - but held off until other big "shoe" dropped - now wondering if having a SPLIT user base is a wise move and how will it impact PC users (so I will be TBD on the $99 lifetime update)

2) Don’t care about Mac's or Apple  Duh, that's why I don’t use a Mac DAW and why I'm here and have been SINCE DOS.

Frankly keep hoping to read they went under and this time MS won’t help bail them out like in 90's
http://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

3) Since CW is (was at least) a PC product - why did CW flood all of us PC users with a hype email campaign over a Mac OS product? I could understand if they bulk emailed Mac users but why us?

4)  And for all those that think this strengthens the Sonar developer & support base - it's like saying your gas car will get better maintenance because they now have to service diesel cars as well.  Unless CW hires additional staff to do Mac OS programming, troubleshooting, help support, etc. Sonar PC users may see help, fixes, core improvements/updates diluted or slowed - Just sayin'
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:50:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bronsoncox 2016/06/01 13:26:43
Just to give a heads up - because I've seen the question come up a few times across our social media channels. 

You will not need to purchase a Windows AND Mac SONAR license, after the OSX Alpha/Beta period.

One license to rule them all ... 

Best Regards,
Seth
Photo_G
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:52:15 (permalink)
Rocsee70
Photo_G

Thanks Andrew.  What is the right "SKU"?

I think we have to wait until all their pricing matches the official one from Cakewalk. I.e. upgrade from (any) Producer or Platinum would be $199. This is the link I got from the JRR mail but right now it's still the old SKUs : https://www.jrrshop.com/computer-software/daw-software/sonar-platinum?arrow=1&dir=asc&limit=all&order=news_from_date . Their mail did mention extra discount in cart, so I think that's their Group Buy discount which would bring the price down from $199 to $169.

Thanks Rocsee70, but that doesn't tell us what the right "SKU" is, so we don't make a mistake...whether buying from JRR or any other distributer.  For example, the name of the product directly from Cakewalk appears to be "SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates)", but I don't see that name listed on any other web site....and I'm not sure that's considered a SKU anyway.

Can someone from Cakewalk help out?

G
post edited by Photo_G - 2016/06/01 13:20:07

SONAR Platinum (FOREVER!), 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 32GB RAM, M-Audio USB interface, Yamaha KX8 keyboard
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 12:55:40 (permalink)
I'm admittedly underwhelmed by the slated updates, but am happy about the lifetime, which I bought on announcement.  I despise Apple and am sad that its users will get access to SONAR after killing Camel Audio and making the new Alchemy for Apple users only, but I hope it will be good for Cakewalk.  Aside from lifetime, I deem this a "middling announcement;" certainly not huge.

Sad to see no announcement re Matrix View.  I guess it can stay dying in the corner.  At least with my lifetime SONAR updates, I can direct that money to Ableton. I don't want to, but so it goes.

I am confused, though, by the push to get people on Platinum, while all slated updates will address all three tiers of the software.  There is nothing unique to Platinum.  I guess lifetime is the only "Platinum-unique" draw for users to continue with Platinum, at least for now.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
hevanw
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:01:35 (permalink)
Photo_G
Thanks Rocsee70, but that doesn't tell us what the right "SKU" is, so we don't make a mistake...whether buying from JRR or any other distributer.

The answer above was to go to Sweetwater instead. But we can compare the offering (prices, description, ...) between Sweetwater and JRR to see when JRR has updated theirs. Like I said: new offering has 1 item for 'upgrade from any Producer or Platinum' : http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonarPltUpSP , so when JRR has a similar one, I'm pretty sure that's the new SKU. Right now JRR has upgrade from X3 Producer, older Producer and Platinum renewal as 3 separate items which indicates old SKUs.

thepianist65
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 644
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:02:25 (permalink)
This is all good. I think that even though many folks (including myself) are long-time PC users using Sonar from back in the early days (90's), but the tech world has changed dramatically in the past 10-15 years. While I still use a windows machine for my music studio (Because Sonar is Windows-only), I have gravitated to both a mac and the various mobile devices that apple makes for other things. Most recently I have started to become an extensive user of an iPad for live performance, and even some scratch-pad recording. The Virtual instruments and sequencing environment on IOS is gradually maturing, and is almost ready  for Prime Time, IMO.  Cubasis and Auria Pro are extremely capable sequencers. But to be able to have Sonar on a Mac and  PC? This is gold, especially if it has eventual integration with IOS, too. Then it is the users choice which platform to use. I know many folks consider Apple the devil, and Big Brother, and all that, and I get it. But their ecosystem, while not perfect, is certainly useful, and since I've become an enthusiast of Apple's consumer products I appreciate their quality and durability (if not the price, LOL). Like it or not, I think Cakewalk has to tap into the MAC world more extensively, not just for the die-hard Mac folks, who have been there forever and (as pointed out in this thread) probably are already committed to the various MAC music software out there, but to folks like me, who in my old age, is slowly converting, or at least adopting Apple's technology and incorporating it into my musical and creative world.
It's about time, I say, and Cakewalk will most likely come out stronger, both financially, and image-wise (which helps the bottom line). I do not believe this will dilute the company's resources, but will potentially open up new revenue streams to support more advanced development. I know how expensive software engineering is; I work for a company that develops proprietary software and services it, too. It's, like Cakewalk, a small local company here in Massachusetts, but it has no support like Gibson. Sonar will be fine, I'm pretty sure. And having a lifetime of updates (even at my advanced age :)) is very cool and will help a lot as Sonar keeps adding more functionality.
I'm looking forward to the improvements mentioned, especially in Take Management and Plug-In load-balancing; these will be huge improvements. I'm happy to wait a while, i don't need constant and instant gratification. I think announcing this now is fine. 
If anything goes wrong with all of this, we will see. I think the user community is very strong and loyal, and if Cakewalk listens to us it can only be of benefit to us as well as to the company.

www.davemaffris.com
 BLUES:
https://www.facebook.com/coastalblueband1/

https://www.facebook.com/Midiexpert/?ref=hl
Please feel free to check out my music, all made with Cakewalk, available on itunes, Amazon, Google, Rdio, etc., etc.
For mostly jazzy stuff on Soundcloud at these locations:
https://soundcloud.com/dave-maffris
or for some different styles of music(pop/rock/covers):
https://soundcloud.com/dmpianoman
Tidewater Jazz page:
https://soundcloud.com/user-84355115

Photo_G
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:06:54 (permalink)
Rocsee70
Photo_G
Thanks Rocsee70, but that doesn't tell us what the right "SKU" is, so we don't make a mistake...whether buying from JRR or any other distributer.

The answer above was to go to Sweetwater instead. But we can compare the offering (prices, description, ...) between Sweetwater and JRR to see when JRR has updated theirs. Like I said: new offering has 1 item for 'upgrade from any Producer or Platinum' : http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonarPltUpSP , so when JRR has a similar one, I'm pretty sure that's the new SKU. Right now JRR has upgrade from X3 Producer, older Producer and Platinum renewal as 3 separate items which indicates old SKUs.

But, it doesn't say "lifetime updates" in the Sweetwater description either.  It's not at all clear which purchases Cakewalk will reject, and which ones they will accept for this offer (unless we buy directly, since it's called SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates).

G

SONAR Platinum (FOREVER!), 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro, AMD FX-8320 CPU, 32GB RAM, M-Audio USB interface, Yamaha KX8 keyboard
Jari
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:07:10 (permalink)
Rocsee70 The answer above was to go to Sweetwater instead. But we can compare the offering (prices, description, ...) between Sweetwater and JRR to see when JRR has updated theirs. Like I said: new offering has 1 item for 'upgrade from any Producer or Platinum' : http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SonarPltUpSP , so when JRR has a similar one, I'm pretty sure that's the new SKU. Right now JRR has upgrade from X3 Producer, older Producer and Platinum renewal as 3 separate items which indicates old SKUs.

This waiting is burning a hole in my pocket...
Boscoe
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:15:28 (permalink)
sirdavidabraham
Great news Cakewalk...one minor detail: it's pronounced OS "Ten" ☺️

I thought it was pronounced "Oh, sex". ;P

-------------------------------------------------
Dell XPS 8700
Win 7 64 pro
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz
24gb ram
Nvidia Geforce GT 635
E-MU 1616m
Behringer QX1202USB
MIDISport 4x4 Anniversary Edition
Kurzweil K2000VP & K2500RS
Yamaha DTX 2.0 Drums
Roland GI-20 Guitar interface
Roland GK3 Midi Pickup attached to surprisingly not awful cheapo Johnson Strat copy
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:16:58 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
Just to give a heads up - because I've seen the question come up a few times across our social media channels. 

You will not need to purchase a Windows AND Mac SONAR license, after the OSX Alpha/Beta period.

This is huge imo. Mac compatibility may not affect me now but there's a good chance it could in the future. The infinite update option is huge. Future updates are looking promising on the Baker's update page. The fact that we had early access to infinite updates watered down the big announcement but certainly didn't diminish the value.

Rocky
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:26:23 (permalink)
What a fool I am. I was thinking that the HUGE announcement was going to be applicable to me and get me to uprade to SPLAT - small notation fixes, chord track/assistant/pad. Turns out it is none of the above.

Regarding Apple, I think they'd have more success re-releasing Logic for Windows.
doncolga
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1519
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:33:04 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
e.Blue
Ironically, this may be changing soon as Microsoft is finally finishing up a brand new Thunderbolt audio stack which is based around USB 3.1/C and promises to greatly simplify what developers need to do to get their hardware up and running on Windowa 10 PCs.

We have true "PCIe via Thunderbolt support" (right now) under Win10.
You have to be running one of the latest Z170x or X99p chipset motherboards that supports Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port.  It's now up the the audio interface manufacturers to create the appropriate drivers.

The reason for the "lag" on the PC side is simple:
Thunderbolt provides access to the PCIe bus (nothing more nothing less).
We've had (and still have) PCIe slots on the PC.
The only way to access the PCIe bus on any current generation Mac is via Thunderbolt-2.
This is why Apple is pushing Thunderbolt.  
For PC users, Thunderbolt brought nothing new to the table.
Someone here put it eloquently.  "Thunderbolt was a solution to a problem that didn't exist."
In their infinite wisdom , Apple took away PCIe slots and gave their users the same features (albeit lower bandwidth with TB2)... at significantly higher cost.
ie: A Thunderbolt 1TB conventional HD is $200.  That bare SATA drive is about $60.

It's easy to see the figures for Thunderbolt audio interfaces and get seduced by the numbers.
But... we've had those capabilities via PCIe audio interfaces for *years*.
MOTU 424 PCIe is an exceptional low-latency performer... as is the Lynx AES-16e/50... as are the RME units.
The only difference is you can connect the Thunderbolt units externally.  That's their only advantage.

MOTU now has a "PCIe via Thunderbolt" driver available for their AVB series (for Windows 10).
You'll need a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter (about $80 - just released this month and out of stock at most places).

I'm excited for Sonar on Mac but that is a great point about Thunderbolt.  I've had my RME Multiface 2 for a LONG time.  I believe it's the earliest PCIe version, but it's still PCIe.  It was disheartening to see less and less of that interface type on the market.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:38:03 (permalink)
Lots of curmudgeonly commentary here. That's fine, it's all good and everyone has a right blah blah blah, but I'd personally wait till the parade rounded the first corner before I began to rain on it. Anyway, congrats to all the Cakewalk guys!

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Andrew Rossa
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1910
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:43:19 (permalink)
Photo_G
Rocsee70
Photo_G

But, it doesn't say "lifetime updates" in the Sweetwater description either.  It's not at all clear which purchases Cakewalk will reject, and which ones they will accept for this offer (unless we buy directly, since it's called SONAR Platinum (with Lifetime Updates).

G

All purchases from Sweetwater will be fine. They are all set. I am hoping JRR will fix soon. We like them too but they have the wrong SKU up. Might be a time difference thing.
Jari
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:48:47 (permalink)
Andrew Rossa [Cakewalk]All purchases from Sweetwater will be fine. They are all set. I am hoping JRR will fix soon. We like them too but they have the wrong SKU up. Might be a time difference thing.

Is AudioDeluxe ok?
Morvejones
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 164
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:52:22 (permalink)
SilkTone
Wow, what a disappointment!! A Mac version that makes absolute zero difference to me, other than knowing SONAR on PC will eventually become the second class citizen. Rolling updates that... we've had for awhile now (am I missing something? What about this is new...?). Announcement of improvements to existing features and a few new features that will be available sometime in the future. Just like we always had announcements of a new features in the past. Confused.

I thought I was going to be excited if I waited until June 1st to make my lifetime payment. Now I don't even feel like doing it until the offer almost expires.

I'm in the same boat, Mac version does nothing for me, and the best price they can offer me on lifetime updates is £175! ($252) buying a new license! (why the hell do i need a new license? i have spent £202 ($291) on platinum alone) does not seem like the most loyal customers get the best deals! 

Fx8350, 32gb ram, Win10, SPlat (latest) , Fl studio, DFHS 
Echo layla 3G, Jvm410h, HD147 Pod Pro XT/X3, 
Behringer B2031A's, MCU Pro, Roland TD3 kit, Edirol PCR-30, Trigger Finger, Bcf2000
Pod Farm,Guitar rig 5, Amplitube 4,T-racks,Waves,Nomad factory Fab Filter,Psp,Toontrack and P&M plugs

SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 13:58:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby smallstonefan 2016/06/02 08:39:08
kevinwal
Lots of curmudgeonly commentary here. That's fine, it's all good and everyone has a right blah blah blah, but I'd personally wait till the parade rounded the first corner before I began to rain on it. Anyway, congrats to all the Cakewalk guys!

I think it has more to do with the over the top hype buildup and then finding out it has pretty much zero to do with 98% of everyone currently using SONAR.

The "other" announcement that was supposed to be specific to PC users is just the regular run of the mill updates and new features we have been getting since we started with rolling updates. The lifetime update was known well in advance so no new news there.

So today's announcement adds basically nothing new for the vast majority of users. CW kept telling us to wait until June 1st, so we did and it was nowhere near how they hyped it.

I think it is wrong to blame users for complaining after such hype and then such a letdown.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 14:16:24 (permalink)
Strategically Cakewalk probably should have waited on announcing lifetime till June 1.  Then comments like Silk Tone's wouldn't be occurring.  Sometimes it's too easy to forget how jaded our society has become.

Taken as a whole, these two announcements ARE huge... and definitely the most significant changes to Sonar since I first started with Sonar over a decade ago. Wading thru all the blather, it's nice to see many comments expounding on this.  I can't resist reflecting that those who understand and appreciate what just happened have way bigger brains than those that don't...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
orhanproject
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 14:27:30 (permalink)
This got really overhyped yepp, mac is meh...

my music: soundcloud/orhanproject
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 14:38:02 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
e.Blue
Ironically, this may be changing soon as Microsoft is finally finishing up a brand new Thunderbolt audio stack which is based around USB 3.1/C and promises to greatly simplify what developers need to do to get their hardware up and running on Windowa 10 PCs.

We have true "PCIe via Thunderbolt support" (right now) under Win10.
You have to be running one of the latest Z170x or X99p chipset motherboards that supports Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port.  It's now up the the audio interface manufacturers to create the appropriate drivers.

The reason for the "lag" on the PC side is simple:
Thunderbolt provides access to the PCIe bus (nothing more nothing less).
We've had (and still have) PCIe slots on the PC.
The only way to access the PCIe bus on any current generation Mac is via Thunderbolt-2.
This is why Apple is pushing Thunderbolt.  
For PC users, Thunderbolt brought nothing new to the table.
Someone here put it eloquently.  "Thunderbolt was a solution to a problem that didn't exist."
In their infinite wisdom , Apple took away PCIe slots and gave their users the same features (albeit lower bandwidth with TB2)... at significantly higher cost.
ie: A Thunderbolt 1TB conventional HD is $200.  That bare SATA drive is about $60.

It's easy to see the figures for Thunderbolt audio interfaces and get seduced by the numbers.
But... we've had those capabilities via PCIe audio interfaces for *years*.
MOTU 424 PCIe is an exceptional low-latency performer... as is the Lynx AES-16e/50... as are the RME units.
The only difference is you can connect the Thunderbolt units externally.  That's their only advantage.

MOTU now has a "PCIe via Thunderbolt" driver available for their AVB series (for Windows 10).
You'll need a USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter (about $80 - just released this month and out of stock at most places).

Thunderbolt on MBP has worked out great. That's all I know. Basically enables me to use my laptop conveniently as I would a desktop. Actually, more conveniently since the laptop is mobile. Via a dock and one cable I can run two external monitors, Motu MTPAV, FireFace 800, external speakers, external hard drives, ethernet (don't really need that since there is no reason to turn off wifi on the mac) etc while keeping everything nicely tucked away. I was totally skeptical to run all this for audio thinking there would be some bottleneck but it's worked out fine.
post edited by WDI - 2016/06/01 15:07:27

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 14:49:55 (permalink)
I thought I read about members successfully runnig Sonar on Mac, using some sort of emulation layer?
WDI
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2069
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 14:55:41 (permalink)
jpetersen
I thought I read about members successfully runnig Sonar on Mac, using some sort of emulation layer?

Via something called bootcamp, which basically is Windows on the Mac. You have to have a valid copy of Windows and install it. No different than dual booting on a PC. So your not in OS X but Windows. It would be like dual booting between Windows 7 and Windows 10. Not the same as running Sonar natively in OS X.

Sonar 7 PE
Windows XP Pofessional (SP3)
MSI K8N Neo4-F
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2 GB PC 3200 Ram
RME Fireface 800
Edirol FA-66
CM Labs MotorMix

Old stuff: ARJO
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 14:56:15 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]

Is it possible to have both installed, but use only one at a time? Is there a license violation for that, so long as the user isn't using both, or being used by two different users? Reason I ask is, I have a MacBook Air and a PC. I use the PC for heavy lifting, but for mixing/editing, tweaking, perhaps even over-dubbing, the laptop would come in real handy!

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 15:10:16 (permalink)
Zzz
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 15:41:34 (permalink)
I can't believe how rude some people here have been. Cake has been working their butts off on these things and have been very generous to us the past few years only to be torn down by some people here who are being very entitled in their opinions over this because it doesn't directly effect them. I doubt many of you would like it if someone crapped all over your hard work that you were proud of.

If they are successful in this, we're going to see Sonar boosted to a place we've all wanted it to be. They already are providing us with the best service of pretty much any other company that makes DAWs what with our monthly updates and constant new features. Whether those features are ones you personally use or not is irrelevant. It's still a hell of a lot more than I'm seeing any other DAW based company doing so try to be a little more respectful. :\

*hops off soap box*
jfcomposer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:04:13 (permalink)
TerraSin
Whether those features are ones you personally use or not is irrelevant.

Respectfully disagree.  This is a product that I pay for, and that, at the very least, buys me the right to voice my opinion and make it known what I'd like to see.  Nobody will argue that they have worked hard, but you don't give trophies to kids on a baseball team because they ran fast in the wrong direction. 

Then again... maybe they do.  Bad analogy.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:14:37 (permalink)
Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
rlared
I see that "Plugin Browser enhancements" is now listed.  What happened to the "Library / Browser" enhancements that was listed previously?  I was really excited about the whole library / browser being re-vamped.

Still on the roadmap and something we need to tackle.

Plugin Browser is Phase 1. 

But, but...what about the Plugin Manager and custom layouts? Are you guys thinking of dropping that side of things? I will be okay if that's the case as long as the browser enhancements really improve things.

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:14:54 (permalink)
jfcomposer
TerraSin
Whether those features are ones you personally use or not is irrelevant.

Respectfully disagree.  This is a product that I pay for, and that, at the very least, buys me the right to voice my opinion and make it known what I'd like to see.  Nobody will argue that they have worked hard, but you don't give trophies to kids on a baseball team because they ran fast in the wrong direction. 

Then again... maybe they do.  Bad analogy.

Except the people I'm talking about are expecting each and every update to be 100% relevant to them. That's just not realistic. We've all spent money on this and we've done it because it's a product that meets our needs better than other products. Voicing your opinion is one thing, being disrespecftul with that voice is a completely different story. Believe it or not, people are capable of debate without insults or discourteous comments.

We're all guilty of it. I'm certainly no saint when it comes to making comments that shouldn't be made but I try my best to not trash peoples hard work when I actually see them working hard on it.
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:22:12 (permalink)
TerraSin
Cake has been working their butts off on these things and have been very generous to us the past few years only to be torn down by some people here who are being very entitled in their opinions over this because it doesn't directly effect them.

I agree with what you are saying.  And in the end, this can be a very good thing for the existing base of Windows users, or it could be the beginning of the end.  We don't know.  Nothing is guaranteed in such a crowded industry.

I do hope you can also recognize that the negative or lukewarm reaction is understandable (even if the rudeness is distasteful) because the company coupled a "paid up forever" offer with the announcement of the new platform.  It is quite reasonable for people to assume it is a quid pro quo; as in "The good news is you can make only one payment forever.  The bad news is there isn't any 'ever' after that."

And frankly with the company being so absolutely giddy over this, that only reinforces the suspicions of betrayal.

If I were in charge of the marketing, I would never have put the two things together.  That only invited these suspicions.  A better marketing message, IMHO, would be to separate the Mac announcement as its own event, and reinforce how Mac inherits all the great stuff that has been built for the Windows environment.  And separately present the "reward" for loyal customers, together with the commitment of additional 2016 features.  Marketing involves a lot of subtlety.  It is very easy to send unintended messages if the tone is just slightly off.

In the end, everybody will somehow survive June 1 and we will get on with our lives.  Either this bold new strategy will work and we will all be proud to be on the best multi-platform DAW, or else it won't and we'll move on from there.  Gnashing of teeth won't really change anything.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Big announcements coming June 1st, 2016 2016/06/01 16:27:18 (permalink)
Definitely a huge announcement IMO. Lifetime updates for a small one off fee (which many people still have the chutzpah to **** about) and an Apple version too. The only other two announcements of such scale I can remember were the sale to Roland and the sale to Gibson.

Will be interesting to see if they can get the Mac version to float. Magix tried with Samplitude for a couple of years (how hard they tried I don't know) but they ended up abandoning the effort. MOTU has a Windows version which users say is not as reliable as the Mac version. If Sonar runs even better on Mac than PC I will have to go to #TeamCrapple

post edited by backwoods - 2016/06/01 16:53:57

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 45 of 47
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1