Helpful ReplyBraintree update. A little messy don't you think?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:06:51 (permalink)
Kylotan
Ok... speaking as someone who IS a programmer/developer/etc, the idea of changing your system PATH variable to address installation problems is really not a good one.

Agreed. The better solution is to use NTFS junction points (or "symbolic links" as *nix systems call them). The physical location of the data can then be moved without having to change anything in the (potentially hard-coded) paths.

Let the installer run, find out where it's put stuff, move the stuff to where you want it then create the necessary junction points to get everything pointing at the right places. Works very well with, amongst other things, software that expects to see e.g. data or components in a particular place and can't/won't accept any other location for them.

You need to keep a record of the junctions of course otherwise things can end up very confusing.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
SilkTone
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1566
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:13:40 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
In a future phase we plan to improve on this and make it more granular and customizable. So if you have requests post them as feature requests...

Noel, there are already a few threads in the feature requests regarding this. This one comes to mind. Hopefully a future release of C3 implements step #2 I mentioned above, so that those of us who are forced to do manual installations can get C3 back in sync and start using it from that point onwards.
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:17:34 (permalink)
I'm not sure what gave you the impression that you would not be able to access content that you own. 
Any "connected" products should always be accessible via Command Center in the future as well. If the product was only offered as part of a monthly update to members then going forward you should continue to see that installer in your account because you will still have access to it. New members who start later wont see it.
The file wont be deleted so it will still live on our servers.

Now how this will be presented to customers via C3 when you have 100 products from the past I'm not sure - that stuff isn't baked yet in C3. I imagine there will be some way to hide/archive updates that are older than a certain point or perhaps even move those to the account page if its too much clutter.

Either way I don't think this is cause for concern. Cakewalk isn't going to take away something you rightfully own as part of your membership.

This is good to hear Noel...

One of the mentions that caused some of this concern was bundling the month-only additions into the update which will disappear from our accounts when replaced by the next update... How will we restore these when we're many updates past... I think we really need separate access to such data as features added via an update will be in future updates and not a worry...

I'm sure many others as I and scooks have had need/access to our purchases to rebuild or build new machines are a bit concerned with the changes to our online accounts as well as the intermingled packaging of some of the new things you and the Bakers are bringing to us...

Please note... I am not complaining and I know that being such new methods of purchase/distribution, this stuff is still undergoing changes and adjustments. Do I hope you will understand that much of what's being said (by me at least and I'm guessing for others as well) is in hope of helping shape this new direction into something we can all be very proud of... As I am so proud of being a Sonar user and look forward to the future!

Many thanks for all that you do!
Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:29:20 (permalink)
Just a note...

Craig mentions the complexity of releasing on a Friday...

It seems to me that Cakewalk as chosen this option many times... I'm thinking they want to give a few days for people to try the system/software as they present it before responding to issues...

That makes sense(of a kind) for them, but creates extra issues for users when initial problems arise...

Solution? Hard to say... I'm grateful for everyone doing such a good job of moving ahead...

Now if only my internet access would allow me to download anything! <sigh>..,

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:34:44 (permalink)
In this case, Friday may have been the first day the release was possible, the other choice would have been Saturday. They had  a commitment to release an update in February.
OldTimerNewComer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 164
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:37:37 (permalink)
I  also have had a trouble free system since x2 expanded,
and I also am a BORG. My installation was flawless.
I would rather not babysit a download when I could have nice,
hot cup of joe.
Thanks for this, Bakers.

I am sorry for any mis-information;
To be honest, after I read my post I
fully expected to get that "from someone who is" response;
I deserved it.

I was actually just trying to say that for better or worse,
I don't usually find the real problems to be with this wonderful
program... more with the incidental folk who don't read their manuals,
then come here and complain that "something is wrong with my software,
it didn't jump out of the box and auto-write me a hit",
just to get you nice folks to solve their probs.

I have been a customer since Sonar 2XL, and
I have gotten a ton of information here, great stuff...

But... one of the reasons I don't have many posts is that
I have a drive to solve my problems myself so that I
have better idea of the overall thing I'm working with,
and for the most part, I have succeeded in that.
    The result is I spend more time using my software
and less time troubleshooting.

I Am here a lot ;
I just usually keep my trap shut unless
I'm trying to help someone.

Mel

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
Windows 10 Pro
Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 12:40:10 (permalink)
Keni
One of the mentions that caused some of this concern was bundling the month-only additions into the update which will disappear from our accounts when replaced by the next update... How will we restore these when we're many updates past... I think we really need separate access to such data as features added via an update will be in future updates and not a worry...

It won't disappear. What will most likely happen is that the exclusive content will be put into a different installer which you will have access to. It will be removed from the current installer that new users will get. 

There are bound to be some content management issues with this model once in awhile but they will get rectified and users wont lose anything they own.

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
chamlin
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 260
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 15:27:53 (permalink)
Partial Context:
  • The "membership" system is new and we as "members" are all trying to adapt to and learn how this system is going to work;
  • Heck, Cakewalk is facing the same thing, yes? New to everyone;
  • There was a commitment to get an update out by the end of February (pressure);
  • The Boston region has been hit by unprecedented snow storms and all that brings.
View:
For me, I would rather have the Bakers come to us and say, if need be, that their work has been snow-impacted and that they do NOT want to rush out an update not yet ready for prime time. We can be a testy bunch at times, but for the most part, a very reasonable and supportive group.

I'd much rather wait for a Braintree that works broadly across the user base than spend that same time or longer frustrated that the things that worked before Braintree aren't working right now.

Noel & crew, thank you for getting the update out as promised. And thank you in the future for taking some deep breaths before releasing; and sensing as to whether or not there is a knot in your stomach about the release. If there is, trust that; it's information; and please consider waiting and resolving what's causing that knot before releasing. (Of course, there may not have been a knot or an awareness that it wasn't quite right...but the support in the message stands.)

Grateful for Sonar Platinum and those who deliver it,
Chamlin
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/03/01 16:05:04 (permalink)
Doesn't fruity loops use something to link the software to loops libraries on whatever drive you put them on?..Just double click the file, and it sets the drive path and loops location or plug ins folder?... to the software/player?...not sure any more which software does it?..i think it was fruity loops/but do not quote me ..,but it has been coded sort of already...just need something like that as a bonus in next updates for us pin heads to get it right....because I do not like hacking reg entries much, if at all...

Just saying...if we have things setup from past versions, why can't new content libraries be separate downloads with out having to install anything through ccc on its default...take that library content zip installer or what ever, put it where the other content is, run it from that point, or many points, which sets everything and puts everything in the right places, once put there...all is well for all...hopefully?.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1