Helpful ReplyBraintree update. A little messy don't you think?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
2015/02/28 07:30:27 (permalink)

Braintree update. A little messy don't you think?

No denying the goodies are great and sure appreciate them.
I can't say it's all been without some weirdness though.

CCC reset to default settings but I didn't know until after the Braintree Platinum installation.
I found out when I saw that Boost 11 had been installed to its default location, when I have my own locations defined.

Now I hadn't used the CCC for installing anything that I already had like the various Sonar plugins that came with X3 and long standing installations like DimPro and Rapture. Then I read in another post folks were questioning the new updates to Dim Pro and Rapture that appeared in their CCC.

So I checked my Cakewalk SSO account and found that the version numbers of the current installers were newer than my installed versions so. Installed them using the CCC after resetting default locations.

What else is strange is that the advertised Rapture expansion pack was part of the Platinum installer. If I need to reinstall that pack again at a later time will I need to install the Braintree update again? It's a little messy don't you think. How will that work when there surely will be subsequent Sonar updates.

So that's Boost 11, Dim Pro and Rapture as well as Studio Instruments and Cakewalk Sound centre all updated but no documentation as to what's been updated.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
mudgel
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 07:56:08 (permalink)
The Braintree release document states:

"Dimension Pro and Rapture serial numbers would not authorize automatically on systems with pre-existing installs"

This could explain what the updates to those 2 programs are about.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 08:42:48 (permalink)
Yes, it does.

But it doesn't explain why you have to download the whole package for DimPro (on a slow internet connection .... etc.... whinge .... whinge ....). Its frustrating !

Cheers,
Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 10:18:31 (permalink)
mudgel
What else is strange is that the advertised Rapture expansion pack was part of the Platinum installer. If I need to reinstall that pack again at a later time will I need to install the Braintree update again?

The Hardgroove loop library and expansion pack will be available only with the Braintree update. In other words, if you sign up in time for, say, the June update, you will get the new program features as well as quite a bit of the content (IRs, my amp, ProChannel presets, etc.) but you won't get the Hardgroove content.

However, these are just like any other sample libraries and programs, so you can copy them to back them up. Presumably you have custom programs for Rapture so when you back those up, you'll back up the Expansion pack. Ditto when you back up your Rapture multisamples. You can back up the loop library to a CD-ROM and put it on the shelf in case of emergency.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 10:28:12 (permalink)
And of course, those involved with the Braintree release will be going through the comments to figure out what can be improved next time around. For example I had written a section on where to put the samples and programs for the Rapture Expansion pack if you were doing a manual install, but it was taken out because the installer could do it for you. It seems next time it might make sense to include multiple installation instructions to handle different scenarios. The main document could assume people were going to use the installer, with other options tacked on at the end so as not to add confusion to the main body of the release eZine.

As to more information about what is actually updated, that can be done as well. The time crunch was pretty bad for the February release. When all the snow was happening and Boston was effectively shut down, it was looking like the release wouldn't make it in February. They were definitely scrambling to get it out on time. Hopefully the next one can be done in a little more leisurely fashion.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 10:38:46 (permalink)
n/m

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 10:49:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/02/28 20:23:49
It would be helpful if exclusive content was in a separate installer rather than requiring the user to make special provisions for handling the content. It still can still be done. The content will effectively be gone in the next series of installers but Cakewalk should know who was a member in Feb. It is going to be increasingly difficult to manage reinstalling the product if one cannot rely on a complete set of installers from the manufacturer.
Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 10:55:48 (permalink)
scook
The content will effectively be gone in the next series of installers.

Actually the only content that will be gone will be the Hardgroove loops and expansion pack, which you can copy and backup per normal files. The rest of the content in this release is considered part of the program. I confirmed this with Cakewalk yesterday. At least for the initial releases, they're being more liberal with what they consider "part of the program" than I expected.

scook
Forum Host
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 11:29:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/02/28 14:00:50
I understand but throwing the onus on the user to keep track of bonus content is a poor choice. Instead of being able to rely on a series of Cakewalk installers to get back to a full version of Platinum the user will be expected to run a series of installers and then use whatever plan they have to get back to a full version of SONAR. Even as jacked up as my account currently is, up until the most recent reorganization in January, I was able to download exclusive content from previous versions of SONAR from my store account. Most of those files were deleted in January. I still see a few but have no expectation they will be available for long. The new SONAR and current account handling reinforces my belief that I cannot rely on my account for anything other than a portal for downloading purchases one time and I must keep track of all files and registration information.
mudgel
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 12:47:56 (permalink)
Just from this release it seems we have 2 widely disparate groups.
One group seem to be made up of power users who don't want to be forced to install where Cakewalk insist and want full control. The other group prefers to have everything automatic.

Judging from the many questions on the forum, a lot of new users are a bit confused regarding nformation about file locations after the fact and what to install.

Not everyone's at the same starting position. Above all the CCC really needs some love

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

scook
Forum Host
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 12:55:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/02/28 14:02:21
I really don't care where Cakewalk chooses to install their product. I can handle that. I just want to be able to rely on Cakewalk providing the product in a way that I can install it on a new machine a year from now. As it stands, I cannot rely on Cakewalk providing a complete version of Platinum even if I need to install it 2 months from now.
Mack
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 12:55:19 (permalink)
I must say that I am fully confused at this point. I have not and will not do any updating until hopefully Cakewalk officially clarifies exactly what needs to be downloaded and a step by step process of how to do it. The content looks great, but they need to guide us through a successful updating procedure.

Sonar Platinum 
Cakewalk BandLab  
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10
Garritan Personal Orchestra 5, Instant Orchestra  
MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid
Windows 10/64  Intel i7 CPU, 16G RAM
Dual Screen Monitors 
ADK Pro Audio built Computer
mudgel
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:00:41 (permalink)
The Braintree update is pretty straight forward and Cakewalk give explicit instructions in the opening post of the announcement thread.

The other issues are resolved by going to your Store Account and by selecting a particular download element once the download file is created by you clicking on the download link, you'll see the version number of the installer and you can check against products versions on your already installed products and update where necessary.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:06:32 (permalink)
scook
I just want to be able to rely on Cakewalk providing the product in a way that I can install it on a new machine a year from now. As it stands, I cannot rely on Cakewalk providing a complete version of Platinum even if I need to install it 2 months from now.

Are you sure that's the case? I would assume (i.e., in the immortal words of Herman Cain "I don't have facts to back me up") that if you were doing a new install on a new machine, you would download the Command Center to it, it would be linked to your store account, and it would download whatever Platinum's status was at that time. You'd miss out on any content that's only available exclusively with a particular past release, but if you created a copy as you went along after downloading, you'd still have it available to install (basically what you would need to do if you downloaded a sample library from Big Fish or whatever).

Hopefully an official Cakewalk person could clarify.

mudgel
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:10:09 (permalink)
Another issue I forgot to mention is that I had to download 1.3GIG of data to get a 48mb Sonar reference guide and updated help file that was even smaller. That's pretty poor organisation. Considering the difficulty some guys have with download speeds and limits that's a bit extreme.

Perhaps Cakewalk have been rushed getting February's update out in time but it's this lack of attention to detail that takes the spotlight off the big goody items and focuses it on minutiae.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:10:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2015/03/01 07:43:57
Who came up with the name Braintree? I'm a person that likes numbers and order to keep track of things. It will be a pain to talk about features in the Braintree update vs the Triffid update, and let's not forget the big changes we had in the Vampire update.

I also don't like the blended update model. For me, there should be a unique update package for each level of membership. It's really the only way to tell if a more expensive membership delivered the goods over the year. I don't do dance or loop based stuff, so this update was a dud for me. The Doggy plug doesn't meet my criteria for a Pro Channel plug because it's more of a special effect as opposed to being something I want available on every track.

So there I go, the first member to say he's underwhelmed. I don't want a year of loops and EDM stuff. How about every update attacks something from the problem reports forums, or generally moves the product down the field toward the goal. Dance beats will not work for me nor will bass samples.

Maybe next time. And before I forget, committing to release something every month is not a good idea. The membership model was to release updates as they became available. Instead we're on a monthly release schedule now and that just encourages people to  collect floor sweepings if they don't have something meaningful to deliver.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
scook
Forum Host
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:20:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/02/28 14:07:05
Anderton
scook
I just want to be able to rely on Cakewalk providing the product in a way that I can install it on a new machine a year from now. As it stands, I cannot rely on Cakewalk providing a complete version of Platinum even if I need to install it 2 months from now.

Are you sure that's the case?... You'd miss out on any content that's only available exclusively with a particular past release, but if you created a copy as you went along after downloading, you'd still have it available to install (basically what you would need to do if you downloaded a sample library from Big Fish or whatever).

This is the point. Cakewalk shifts the burden to me. Up until last month, I could rely on Cakewalk for copies of content which they provided with previous versions. Now, without notice, that content was removed and now with Brainfree we are not told but figure out that we are expected to keep track of all future content starting today. I don't see Cakewalk as a Big Fish or whatever you choose to call them. It represents an unwelcome change in how Cakewalk is handling their product. I can deal with it but it just complicates what use to be a fairly simple process of going to my account, collecting what constituted SONAR and installing. In quick order, Cakewalk introduces a overly simplistic front end for installing their product and complicates the users life further by requiring them to keep track of parts of the product which will not be in the installers beyond one month.
mudgel
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:23:14 (permalink)
Don't forget the 25 fixes and extensions to Mix Recal, Vocalsync. They're pretty big considering it's just a month since release.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

scook
Forum Host
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:29:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/02/28 14:06:55
Anderton
, but if you created a copy as you went along after downloading, you'd still have it available to install (basically what you would need to do if you downloaded a sample library from Big Fish or whatever).

Wouldn't a Big Fish provide their sample library as a zip file or installer and not require the user to create their own from the installed content?
mudgel
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:39:41 (permalink)
We also used to have access to previous version updates to download from Cakewalk. All I get now is whatever is the current installer.

As scook said it places the burden on the end user to maintain their own file backups as you no longer have access to last months downloads if there was a change this month.

I suspect some ironing out will need to be done because this is showing some holes in the Cakewalk release plan.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:41:31 (permalink)
ampfixer
Instead we're on a monthly release schedule now and that just encourages people to  collect floor sweepings if they don't have something meaningful to deliver.

You're forgetting the DSD update, VocalSync update, Mix Recall update, and 27 fixes. Would you rather not have them now? Do you really think that nothing "meaningful" happens at Cakewalk during a month's time that would be worth giving to members?

And I assume you haven't used Bark of Dog if you think it's a "special effect." Try it next time you need to separate kick from bass, or do narration. A very similar plug-in from a different company costs $150 - the price of an entire year's update for SONAR users. But they could charge that much because, well...try it next time you need to separate kick from bass, or do narration. Or bring out the kick from a drum part. Or give a Rickenbacker bass more "bottom" without adding mud.

Furthermore, I would hardly call 126 IR impulses, 436 MB of loops (which I spent many, many hours editing and tweaking for proper stretching in both WAV and REX formats), an amp optimized for acoustic guitars, and all the other goodies as "floor sweepings." If you actually knew something about loops, and compared them to other commercially available loops, I highly doubt you would call them "floor sweepings."

Anyway, you're going to get a year of loops because I do really good loops , and people use them. The loops I did for M-Audio, Wizoo, and Discrete Drums were some of their best-selling titles. Now members get the same level of quality for free. 

No one should expect a new release to consist only of items of interest to them. The reason for including a lot of stuff is so that everyone gets something useful. If Cakewalk keeps up its pace from this release for the next 12 months, even if you don't care about content at all you'll still get 36 features or updated features, and over 300 bug fixes. And you'll get them as soon as they're available (within a month's time frame).

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:54:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2015/03/01 07:47:41
My vote is when Cake has time, to make a new Blog or whatever format... and answer all these questions.  There's too much riding for me to haphazardly just update my working program.
I agree also, the Barking Dog plug is FREE at Boz Labs and while it's nice to have in a ProChannel, seems like sticking a freebie in there is a bit underwhelming.  I don't need it and in fact passed on the +10dB plug as well. 

Being "rushed" because of weather is a lame excuse too.  I've LEARNED a LONG time ago that you ALWAYS give your customers truthful reasons for delays.  I'm in a public service type business, and I've NEVER had problems.  If Cake just said: "we need more time"... check our weather"... most *sane* people will understand.  But to slap something out rushed is a poor business decision.  However, I'm not suggesting that's what they did...only judging by what Craig mentioned of them being "rushed".

Personally, the CCC needs the overhaul at this point, or Cakes going to start losing credibility with their wonderful product.  Surely that can be put towards the top of the list.  My Platinum is working fine with the Alston update, so it can wait another month for anything.   And yes...go to numerical, sequential update names.  and keep ALL available.  The MA city names is borderline on stupid. 

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

scook
Forum Host
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 13:57:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/02/28 14:05:01
Anderton

And I assume you haven't used Bark of Dog if you think it's a "special effect." Try it next time you need to separate kick from bass, or do narration. A very similar plug-in from a different company costs $150

Bark of the Dog has always been free and available as a VST for some time. It is nice to have PC format but not necessary if someone wanted to use the plug-in.
mcdonalk
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:10:27 (permalink)
Can I install Braintree without disturbing my existing Dim Pro or Rapture installations? I already have these installed, and I remember the wrestling match I went through to to get their content located where I needed them to be (programs on D drive and samples on E drive). I don't want to relearn how to do that (including registry editing) and go through that process again.

I bought the Platinum upgrade before the March cutoff to save $50. However, now I don't know when I'll ever install it. I would like to wait for a time when Command Center offers installation options other than default, but I doubt that will ever happen. I am capable of installing individual tools, but now this release update seems to require re-installation if Dim Pro and Rapture. I would greatly appreciate any clarification that anyone can offer.

thanks

Keith

Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:18:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2015/02/28 14:24:13
scook

It represents an unwelcome change in how Cakewalk is handling their product. I can deal with it but it just complicates what use to be a fairly simple process of going to my account, collecting what constituted SONAR and installing. In quick order, Cakewalk introduces a overly simplistic front end for installing their product and complicates the users life further by requiring them to keep track of parts of the product which will not be in the installers beyond one month.

I definitely understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's going to be as worst-case as you fear. A significant conceptual change is that Cakewalk is now becoming a content provider, and merging that aspect with SONAR. Content was never a big part of Cakewalk's gestalt; the same loops have been in there since the dawn of time. The FX chains I came up with were, I believe, the first FX Chain additions since X1. Ditto the ProChannel presets. Those are probably bad examples because they will be considered part of the program, but you get my drift. Cakewalk has pretty much worked only on features and fixes, so any content came about because of arrangements with third parties (even things like Rapture or Dim Pro presets).

In the case of Brian's loops, they were created as a commercial product (by an artist with various contracts and encumbrances regarding his work) to be sold like any other loop library. Fortunately, because he's a SONAR user he was kind enough to let members have them for free, AND convince his business manager it was a cool thing to do, but the caveat was one month only. Piracy for commercially available loop libraries is bad enough without having one available for free in perpetuity. Cakewalk could have said "No, we don't want to give people your loops for free for a month, people will complain they're not a permanent part of the installer and that will look bad." But for better or for worse, they made the loops available. (The only reason the Steinberger Rapture pack is also one month only is because it uses the chromatic samples from the loop library.)

So basically, after a month the loop library ceases to exist except as a commercial product. But "early adopters" of the membership program will have gotten it for free. The tradeoff of getting it for free is users have to take the responsibility (at least for now) of backing it up, as they would with commercial loop libraries they download from third-party content providers. 

All the official statements from Cakewalk indicate they're going to be pretty liberal about what will be part of the program as opposed to exclusive to one particular release. The reality is that this kind of content simply would not have been in SONAR before, so the company has no experience yet with how best to deal with it. 

I believe your issue is concern about the addition, or re-installation, of this content being handled in an inelegant or "user-hostile" manner going forward. However, this is the first membership release and only a little more than a month after a major release. Cakewalk pays attention to these forums and I would be extremely surprised if course corrections weren't made over time to take care of issues that weren't thought out well enough beforehand. But that's the advantage of this system. Changes that respond to user feedback can happen relatively quickly; the bug fix list is a good example.

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:20:49 (permalink)
mcdonalk
Can I install Braintree without disturbing my existing Dim Pro or Rapture installations?

Keith, I think you can download the products and install them yourself and control where everything goes (although I haven't done this). Beepster is doing it now and can give details. He also has a link to a youtube vid on how it's done.

As far as Dim Pro and Rapture are concerned, yes you do not have to touch those. Just install Cakewalk Sonar Platinum but avoid the installers for Dim Pro. I used the Command Center for my installs and it worked fine (but default locations were fine with me). There is a setting for where your plugins go and download path in the CC, but that may not be what you want.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:27:09 (permalink)
mixmkr
I agree also, the Barking Dog plug is FREE at Boz Labs and while it's nice to have in a ProChannel, seems like sticking a freebie in there is a bit underwhelming.

But it's just one element out of 12. What would be the reason NOT to include a ProChannel version if it's available?

Frankly, I think the VocalSync, DSD, and Mix Recall updates, along with 27 fixes would have been a reasonable update, given that it occurred within weeks after a major release and only cost you $12.50. But you got a whole lot of other stuff, too, and I guarantee a lot of people will find at least some of it, if not most of it, very useful. The IR responses alone give a lot of life to electronic instruments by wrapping a room around them.

Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:33:28 (permalink)
scook
Anderton

And I assume you haven't used Bark of Dog if you think it's a "special effect." Try it next time you need to separate kick from bass, or do narration. A very similar plug-in from a different company costs $150

Bark of the Dog has always been free and available as a VST for some time. It is nice to have PC format but not necessary if someone wanted to use the plug-in.

The release documentation specifically states "This version of Bark of Dog is based on a free resonant highpass filter plug-in from Boz, but is making its debut as a ProChannel module for the convenience of SONAR users." I mentioned the price in reference to the concept having value as something other than a "floor sweeping" or "special effect" with limited use.

Someone proclaiming all the content is just "floor sweepings" that aren't "meaningful" really rubbed me the wrong way, given how many hours I put into my contributions. The Acoustic Piezo amp alone took several days, including testing with multiple acoustic guitars. I don't even want to think how many hours I spent formatting the loops to work well with both the Acidized WAV and REX formats. But if you compare the range over which the files stretch compared to other commercial libraries, you'll hear the difference. 

I'm not asking anyone to sympathize with me, or even to agree that I attained a high standard with my material. But I would hope people would not dismiss outright something they admittedly don't use and/or understand.

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:44:22 (permalink)
mudgel
We also used to have access to previous version updates to download from Cakewalk. All I get now is whatever is the current installer.

So how do you roll back then ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anderton
Re: Braintree update. A little messy don't you think? 2015/02/28 14:58:22 (permalink)

Paul P
mudgel

So how do you roll back then ?

Presumably, you'd want to roll back if you had an existing installation, which you can do. If you're doing a new installation, for example on a new computer, then I assume you would be able to install only the latest version as there wouldn't be any history to roll back to.

In the previous model, you could do this by installing older software and then installing updates individually. For example if you didn't want X3e but X3c, you could install X3, then install the X3c update. I wonder how many people actually did that, though.

Where a problem would exist would be if, for example, you found out in July that the June update conflicted with some cool 3rd party plug-in, so you rolled back to May for projects using that plug-in. Then your computer died in August but you wanted to run the May installer and the subsequent updates so you could return to May at will.

I think it HIGHLY unlikely that Cakewalk will simply erase all previous versions of installers once a new one comes out. So you call tech support and explain your situation. They will of course tell you to go to hell. No, not really. They'll probably provide a solution, like putting the May installer in your store account and letting you carry on from there.

There will always be "corner cases," that's why support exists. It will be interesting to see how many people roll back from the current release, and if so, why. I suspect it won't be a lot.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1