CakeTV Live, Quick Bytes, Get Started, Go Deeper, and Master Classes in HD (with links)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 12
Author
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 2084
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/27 16:48:43 (permalink)
stickman393

With all due respect, your points don't address a single thing that was in the video. We chose ten things that are easier to do in X1 than in older versions of SONAR and demonstrated them.

Nothing against cascading right-click menus, but would you really rather have to dive through one of those rather than simply drag and drop a plugin every time you wanted to add an effect to the project? I know I wouldn't.

The respect is mutual, Seth. 

I wasn't addressing the points the video made directly, for two reasons: 

One, because on the whole, they are easier in X1, although I believe that "easier" is subjective (as you admit in your comment about cascading right-click menus), and that not everyone agrees about what is "easier". 

Two, I wanted to add some balance, and bring up some changes in X1 that (in my opinion) make it harder to use, and of course these weren't highlighted in the video (because that wasn't the point of the video, I understand.)

That was the point of my post. I'll acknowledge it was cheeky, but I think the points are still valid. I don't expect them to be incorporated into the next video Cakewalk releases, but on the other hand it will be pleasant if the next SONAR release addresses them. Cakewalk might even get my upgrade $$ again next year.

Best,

Stickman,

Your points are valid, understood, and duly noted. However, as they were about subjects that were not covered in the video, they could be deemed as OT and thus probably belong in a separate thread.

Again, we get what you're saying and I am actually on your side with the desire to reinstate some of the features that we lost with X1. However, that's a whole 'nother topic.

With this video, I think we demonstrated pretty clearly many of the things that are great about X1 which do indeed speed up the workflow vs. older versions of SONAR.

SP
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/27 17:59:05 (permalink)
John

The drop down menu system of past was every bit as quick to page thru as expanding/finding in the browser and a simple click is far easier than draggin the object across screen...
And where did that go? Its still there you know. You can still use the FX bin for example to insert an FX or synth just as in 8xx.

Absolutely! And that's why I haven't spent any effort bashing the browser... I have mine setup as my synth rack and it stays that way floating.... not docked... and I use the fx bin's menu tree to select...

I'm glad some people enjoy the Browser and I'm happy for them as I can essentially ignore it as I have many other new additions to Sonar in the past...

My issues are when I lose and old tool in favor of a different one... Additive good, Subtractive bad.... ;-)

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Keni
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/27 18:02:11 (permalink)
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Keni

Nicely made Seth...

My compliments on a job well done...

But I can't say that I agree with all the opinions regarding "easier in X1"...

X1 I still don't get the browser... You still have a menu of sorts to go thru to find things (how else could it be done?) and then I must drag the object around the screen...

The drop down menu system of past was every bit as quick to page thru as expanding/finding in the browser and a simple click is far easier than draggin the object across screen...

I won't go into more as I'm not trying to derail the topic. I'm just reminding you that not all of us find all these things improved...

But your video does show the differences very well and gets a lot of info across in a small amount of time...

Nice job...

Keni

Thanks, Keni!

One of the biggest benefits of X1's Browser is that it is permanent, as opposed to the open/ close nature of pop-up and right-click menus. Take inserting a plugin, for example. With the plugin menu open in the Browser it is always there. With the old style right-click menu you have to navigate through that cascading system each and every time you want to insert a plugin. Also, that menu goes away with every plugin inserted, unlike X1's Browser which is always there.

Also, you don't have to drag plugins or synths all the way aacross the screen as simply dropping a plugin anywhere on a track or in the track pane itself will insert that plugin on that track. And synths can simply be double clicked or drag and dropped.

And Screensets remember which section is open in the Browser, so you could easily set up a Screenset with the plugin list open, one with the synth list open, etc. Much faster and more flexible than using the right-click menus, IMHO. 

For what its worth, , though you can still use the right-click menus to insert plugins and synths should you really want to. But I typically wouldn't/

SP

Hi Seth...

OK... I'll try to work with it some more... I've got a problem leaving it docked (small screen), but I'll  give it a whirl as I see some of the issues you mention do sound attractive...

Thanks...
Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/27 18:05:23 (permalink)
Keni

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Keni

Nicely made Seth...

X1 I still don't get the browser... You still have a menu of sorts to go thru to find things (how else could it be done?) and then I must drag the object around the screen...

I won't go into more as I'm not trying to derail the topic. I'm just reminding you that not all of us find all these things improved...

But your video does show the differences very well and gets a lot of info across in a small amount of time...

Nice job...

Keni

Thanks, Keni!

One of the biggest benefits of X1's Browser is that it is permanent, as opposed to the open/ close nature of pop-up and right-click menus. Take inserting a plugin, for example. With the plugin menu open in the Browser it is always there. With the old style right-click menu you have to navigate through that cascading system each and every time you want to insert a plugin. Also, that menu goes away with every plugin inserted, unlike X1's Browser which is always there.

Also, you don't have to drag plugins or synths all the way aacross the screen as simply dropping a plugin anywhere on a track or in the track pane itself will insert that plugin on that track. And synths can simply be double clicked or drag and dropped.

And Screensets remember which section is open in the Browser, so you could easily set up a Screenset with the plugin list open, one with the synth list open, etc. Much faster and more flexible than using the right-click menus, IMHO. 

For what its worth, , though you can still use the right-click menus to insert plugins and synths should you really want to. But I typically wouldn't/

SP

Hi Seth...

OK... I'll try to work with it some more... I've got a problem leaving it docked (small screen), but I'll  give it a whirl as I see some of the issues you mention do sound attractive...

Thanks...
Keni

Keni,

You can leave the Browser collapsed when you're not actively using it and open/ close it with 'B', or mouse click on its open/ close arrow if you prefer.

SP
Keni
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/27 19:30:05 (permalink)
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Keni

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Keni

Nicely made Seth...

Nice job...

Keni

Thanks, Keni!

SP

Hi Seth...

Thanks...
Keni

Keni,

You can leave the Browser collapsed when you're not actively using it and open/ close it with 'B', or mouse click on its open/ close arrow if you prefer.

SP

Thanks Seth...

I know, but that extra 1/2" of space is a lot on my little 19" non-wide monitor, so I keep it floating and invisible, then simply open it with the B command... I wish there was a way to embed the three separate frames (Inspector/Browser/Multidock) so that they are totall gone from the screen and a simple button to open them doesn't have to "waste" 1/2" of screen width/height...

So I keep Inspector docked on left, Browser floating and closed and multidock hidden with Sonar Plus... Close... ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/27 23:31:37 (permalink)
Keni

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Keni

Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
]

Keni

Nicely made Seth...

Nice job...

Keni

Thanks, Keni!

SP

Hi Seth...

Thanks...
Keni

Keni,

SP

Thanks Seth...

I know, but that extra 1/2" of space is a lot on my little 19" non-wide monitor, so I keep it floating and invisible, then simply open it with the B command... I wish there was a way to embed the three separate frames (Inspector/Browser/Multidock) so that they are totall gone from the screen and a simple button to open them doesn't have to "waste" 1/2" of screen width/height...

So I keep Inspector docked on left, Browser floating and closed and multidock hidden with Sonar Plus... Close... ;-)

Keni

Time to update your monitor.
Keni
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/08/28 00:33:40 (permalink)
Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk

Time to update your monitor.

Don't I wish... but do I need that more than a new pc? I'm still on a core2duo running vista32! <sigh>...

So I really need a new DAW, yes and I'm hoping that I can upgrade at least one more time before I'm gone... ;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records

Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/09/03 02:23:04 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

We have three new get Started videos which cover the basics of setting up and using ACt in SONAR ...

YouTube

GS Setup ACT Ready Device
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3nV1CSi8nw

GS Setup non-ACT Ready Device
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHKIE3SMkQU</a></font>]http://www.youtube.com/wa...lt;/a></font>

GS Using ACT
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK24ySULnf0</a></font>]http://www.youtube.com/wa...lt;/a></font>

CakeTV
http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/SONARU.aspx/Get-Started

Enjoy!

SP
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/09/14 19:57:15 (permalink)
For anyone interested in what features, synths, and effects are exclusive to SONAR Producer, we've got a new Quick Bytes video up ...

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK0zVUXi6Kg 

CakeTV
http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/quickbytes.aspx

Enjoy!

SP
post edited by Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk] - 2011/09/14 20:38:35
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/09/29 23:36:20 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

We now have a sound example video of the upcoming PC4K S-Type Expander/ Gate module for Expanded's ProChannel. Check it out here ...

CakeTV

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsAu7A65DI

SP
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/09/29 23:50:27 (permalink)
Nice presentation on the PC4K S-Type Expander/ Gate module - but the second example doesn't work at all if you listen carefully!

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/09/30 00:39:12 (permalink)
CakeAlexS

Nice presentation on the PC4K S-Type Expander/ Gate module - but the second example doesn't work at all if you listen carefully!

Thanks for checking out the video. Actually, the Expander/ Gate does its job in the second example. It is not possible for an Expander/ Gate to remove bleed that is on top of the vocal. What it can do is remove the bleed between the phrases, in the 'silent space', and that's just what we did in the video. 

SP
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/09/30 06:28:27 (permalink)
My bad, I listened again and indeed the bleed is happening whilst the vocals is going on (could have sworn otherwise when I went to bed last nite!).

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/10/04 16:59:39 (permalink)
Hello all,

Another Quick Bytes video is up, this time about FX Chains 2.0 ...

CakeTV

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzY0fesOOQ

Enjoy!

SP

Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/10/10 20:17:27 (permalink)
Hello all,

If you're wondering what's new in Z3TA+ 2 then you might want to check out our new Z3TA+ 2 Overview video here ...

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qUBuHukmJ4

CakeTV

Enjoy!

SP
Keebo
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 576
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/10/10 22:34:08 (permalink)
Nice video and nice update to a great synth.  Thank you.

There is a lot I like about Z3TA + 2.1 but a lot I haven't grasped yet.

I would like to see some detailed programming and tips videos if you think you could swing it.

Sonar X2 Producer 64 bit
Sonar X1 Producer Expanded 64 bit
Sonar 8.5.3 Producer 32/64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/10 17:19:27 (permalink)

Hello Everyone,

We've got a new Quick Bytes video up about the PC4K Channel Compressor for SONAR Producer Expanded's ProChannel. The video is a brief overview of the compressor and has sound examples, as well.

CakeTV

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYae5RoM7pE

Enjoy!

SP
johnwayne11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/11 11:13:57 (permalink)
And 'divided into three classes. Start with the basic use and takes you deeper into the most profound way in which some functions can be applied.
johnwayne11
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:SONAR X1 Tips, Videos and Resources 2011/11/11 11:17:14 (permalink)
Yes, I ordered the book by Scott 'Power', but I will also pay for a printed guide, and I'm sure many others would. What about Brandon?
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/14 13:59:31 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

We've got a new Get Started = SONAR Producer Expanded video out which shows the basics of how to use SONAR Producer Expanded's new modular, customizable ProChannel.

CakeTV

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gkj4IQPhKc&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

SP

Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/17 01:26:34 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

We've got a new Quick bytes video up which has sound examples of SONAR Producer Expanded's new ProChannel module, the Softube Saturation Knob.

CakeTV

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2Vnt21sho&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

SP

Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/22 17:47:34 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

We've got a new Get Started video up about SONAR Producer Expanded's integrated SoundCloud exporting. Check it out here ...

CakeTV

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoDo5UPiLlI

Enjoy!

SP
rtucker55
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2177
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/26 19:30:45 (permalink)
Is there or will there be a video for the

Browser Expanded

Kind regards,
Rick

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/11/28 14:45:44 (permalink)
rtucker55

Is there or will there be a video for the

Browser Expanded

Kind regards,
Rick

Rick,

Possibly, but its not on the immediate horizon as the Browser Expanded's feature list is relatively small for a standalone video (Replace Synth and drag to Browser).

SP
My Favorites
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 744
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/12/05 04:26:52 (permalink)
I've been trying to understand midi behavior in X1 no luck. Right now i am stuck with the snap settings in "piano roll" inside. Not the snap setting entire arrange view. I want midi note to snap while i move them, like we do in the earlier versions. I want to move half note away but this thing wont help me. Of course i know its just in the ..... location, waiting to be activate first. I don't know where did you hide snap on off in the piano roll view. I tried to watch youtube if someone explain midi tools compare to earlier version. Someone probably will screw me why i said like this or my English bla bla. If i am lucky i will get the answer where is the piano roll snap settings.. But this is not the solution. After huge update to X1 you should do a compare videos for daily tools you change location to where. WHERE DID YOU HIDE the things? Who cares i drag and drop loop from my nokia? Maybe someone but i care midi tools how to use in this version. You can't show there is youtube video or cake TV explain; we do in 8.5 like this but now in the X1 is like this.

click image
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2011/12/05 13:43:17 (permalink)
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion for CakeTV. X1's PRV Snap Override can be found in the top right corner of the Piano Roll View. Click the Snap On/ Off button, which looks like a grid, and the note value selector will appear. 

This will give the PRV a different Snap value than the TV. However, if you disable the PRV Snap Override then it will listen and use the value in of the Global Snap, found in the Control Bar.

HTH.

SP
Re:New SONAR: Get Started - Tools and Editing Video is Live 2012/01/26 19:10:59 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

A Quick Bytes video for the ProChannel Concrete Limiter is up ...

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxw2Vc57u8

CakeTV

SP
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re:CakeTV in HD (With Links)! 2012/02/08 09:27:25 (permalink)
Hi, Are YouTube videos downloadable to watch offline or do you have to be logged on to the internet? I don't have high speed internet at home so I won't be able to watch them.

Thanks,
Steve
Re:CakeTV in HD (With Links)! 2012/02/15 19:11:56 (permalink)
soens

Hi, Are YouTube videos downloadable to watch offline or do you have to be logged on to the internet? I don't have high speed internet at home so I won't be able to watch them.

Thanks,
Steve

There are third-party tools that will allow you to download videos from YouTube. Also, I believe Real Player can do it, too.

SP
Re:CakeTV in HD (With Links)! 2012/02/15 19:23:33 (permalink)
Hello Everyone,

We've got a batch of NAMM videos up on CakeTV and YouTube. They were all shot on location at our booth inside the Roland arena, so the audio has a lot of background in it and can be pretty busy at times, but there are definitely some interesting and informative nuggets in the videos.

As an extension of this, we'll be broadcasting the first part of a two part webinar series starting next week featuring Brandon and I. 

In next week's webinar I'll be doing the demo I did at NAMM. And I'll be using X1d all throughout the demo so I'll weave in a bunch of the new features so you can get a first look at the upcoming X1d update. Next month's webinar will feature Brandon doing his NAMM demo. More details on the webinar series to come soon ...

NAMM 2012 Videos

CakeTV
http://www.cakewalk.com/CakeTV/backstage.aspx

YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC4BA0F4995F7E4B&feature=view_all

Enjoy!

SP
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 12
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1