Helpful ReplyCakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/05 14:05:08 (permalink)
rabeach
Anderton
SONAR has never had a strong presence in interface bundles because it's not cross-platform. The pairing of X3 LE and Live Lite for the TASCAM interfaces was a deal I helped facilitate because of my connections with Cakewalk, TASCAM, and Ableton but that kind of deal is an exception.

Cakewalk has had interface bundles going all the way back to pro audio 9. So what you stated wasn't exactly wrong but not exactly right either.

Those were Cakewalk bundles, not third-party like TASCAM, which was referenced in the post to which I responded. In terms of companies like Focusrite, TASCAM, etc., you're more likely to find Cubase, Live, and other cross-platform software. You won't find SONAR.

FWIW one reason why PreSonus did Studio One was because they make a lot of interfaces, and got tired of paying licensing fees for LE software.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/05 14:50:30 (permalink)
markiv2290
Yeah, so I'm late to the game. I just found out the HARD way that Cakewalk silently cancelled all upgrade paths for X3 users like me just 3 days ago.
Saw an email a while back about simplified pricing (seemed like a good thing by the sound of it), the email linked to a blog, which I didn't read because, well first I get too many emails but more importantly the email NEVER mentioned they where cancelling upgrades for previous versions and I wasn't ready just yet to upgrade (was rebuilding the studio setup at the time).
There had been upgrades for previous versions of my favorite DAW for as long as can remember.
No more.
Bad communication or bad marketing I do not know (probably a little bit of both) but I don't care, in the end I feel cheated.

We sent out multiple rounds of emails starting March 13th and ending April 30th to let everyone know. We couldn't put all of the information in the email, so we had the blog post. I wish you had read it, because the information is there - so close!

After the initial announcement, we sent out segmented communications throughout April to various groups because different clusters of customers are in different situations. 

Hundreds of thousands of emails went out to customers. We tried our best to reach out to everyone we could, and I am sorry we weren't able to connect the dots with you.  Please PM me and we can chat further, maybe I can help.

Alex Westner
VP Product Strategy & Innovation

Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/05 14:56:46 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
Can someone please explain to me why my subscription has gone from 17 dollars a month to 50. I'm getting a bit upset at this. My version of Sonar Platinum was current till Feb apparently, I don't keep abreast of these things, because I thought my 17 dollars a month meant I didn't have too.

I've never paid 500 dollars for an upgrade, particularly to go from one version of sonar to only the next version.

Someone please explain this to me. 

Cheers Ben

Ben, I'm escalating your case with Support, please stand by, I want to help set this right.

Alex Westner

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/05 16:45:50 (permalink)
Anderton
rabeach
Anderton
SONAR has never had a strong presence in interface bundles because it's not cross-platform. The pairing of X3 LE and Live Lite for the TASCAM interfaces was a deal I helped facilitate because of my connections with Cakewalk, TASCAM, and Ableton but that kind of deal is an exception.

Cakewalk has had interface bundles going all the way back to pro audio 9. So what you stated wasn't exactly wrong but not exactly right either.

Those were Cakewalk bundles, not third-party like TASCAM, which was referenced in the post to which I responded. In terms of companies like Focusrite, TASCAM, etc., you're more likely to find Cubase, Live, and other cross-platform software. You won't find SONAR.

FWIW one reason why PreSonus did Studio One was because they make a lot of interfaces, and got tired of paying licensing fees for LE software.

With that I feel myself even more confused than before... Something wrong is with the information in my head

"Cakewalk bundles"? I have always thought that some Peavey and Edirol devices have got "Cakewalk" label on them. And Roland was the connection point for Cakewalk<-Roland->Edirol, not sure about Peavey.

"like Focusrite, TASCAM, etc." ... I had feeling there is Cakewalk<-Gibson->TEAC->Tascam. And Focusrite/Novation is somehow not in that chain.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/05 22:51:00 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
BenMMusTech
Can someone please explain to me why my subscription has gone from 17 dollars a month to 50. I'm getting a bit upset at this. My version of Sonar Platinum was current till Feb apparently, I don't keep abreast of these things, because I thought my 17 dollars a month meant I didn't have too.

I've never paid 500 dollars for an upgrade, particularly to go from one version of sonar to only the next version.

Someone please explain this to me. 

Cheers Ben

Ben, I'm escalating your case with Support, please stand by, I want to help set this right.

Hi Alex, thanks...here are the case numbers from the customer support facility, and the messages I sent on the topic 345351 and 345172

Thanks Ben 

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
markiv2290
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/06 17:22:29 (permalink)
Anderton
azslow3
c) who was still waiting with X3 are out

I suspect that if they didn't get lifetime updates and they didn't update during the window when cheaper upgrade prices were still in effect, they're not going to upgrade.

Given what I stated earlier on this thread, I don't agree with that assumption, Craig. A lot of times it's a question of timing (after all we're musicians so we all know about the important of timing, right  ). Oh, and also sometimes a combination of timing and budget, for many of us hobbyists.

Intel i7-3820 (LGA2011 ftw), Win 8.1, SaffirePro24, Sonar Studio
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/07 03:47:06 (permalink)
markiv2290
Anderton
azslow3

I suspect that if they didn't get lifetime updates and they didn't update during the window when cheaper upgrade prices were still in effect, they're not going to upgrade.

Given what I stated earlier on this thread, I don't agree with that assumption, Craig. A lot of times it's a question of timing (after all we're musicians so we all know about the important of timing, right  ). Oh, and also sometimes a combination of timing and budget, for many of us hobbyists.

Lifetime updates were around for six months and upgrades for X1-X3 for over two years. Over two years with a month and a half expiration warning seems like a reasonable amount of time to offer a reduced upgrade price, although of course you can disagree with that.

However the reality is that upgrades from X series stuff had pretty much dried up before the price change. I'm sure there are some stragglers out there, but you can't keep a pricing structure in place forever to accommodate every possibility...it adds a huge overlay of complexity not just for online sales, but is even worse for conventional music stores, either online or "brick and mortar."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/07 14:13:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby coolbass 2017/05/07 15:24:55
Anderton
markiv2290
Anderton
azslow3

Lifetime updates were around for six months and upgrades for X1-X3 for over two years. Over two years with a month and a half expiration warning seems like a reasonable amount of time to offer a reduced upgrade price, although of course you can disagree with that.

However the reality is that upgrades from X series stuff had pretty much dried up before the price change. I'm sure there are some stragglers out there, but you can't keep a pricing structure in place forever to accommodate every possibility...it adds a huge overlay of complexity not just for online sales, but is even worse for conventional music stores, either online or "brick and mortar."

I respectfully disagree.

What could possibly be gained by giving X3 customers an ultimatum to upgrade before May 1st or cease to be considered a member of the Sonar family by having future upgrades cost the same as a brand new customer?

I could even see being demoted to a different upgrade tier, but to slam the door on loyal customers who maybe playing the long game, waiting for improvements to features which matter to them, seems harsh.

I'm not familiar with all other DAW upgrade policies, but I see that Ableton upgrades at Sweetwater go back to version 1. How many years is that?

I don't get it, but I suppose Cakewalk have thought it through.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/07 15:25:51 (permalink)
Anderton

This^

I stayed with PA9 all the way until Sonar 5 was on sale with a free upgrade to Sonar 6 when it came out. And I paid a higher price than current owners, IIRC.

It's just the way it goes. Wait for a sale. It will happen.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/07 18:05:59 (permalink)
I don't think that the new prices will be relevant for long tbh. If I didn't have lifetime updates I'd be keeping my money in pocket.
Woodyoflop
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 281
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/07 20:38:06 (permalink)
I got my lifetime membership when it was offered and I love it. Amazing deal, I'v been upgrading pretty much every version since Sonar 7 Studio. It was definitely worth the money to me.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/08 20:42:56 (permalink)
I just noticed that JRRshop is still selling Sonar upgrades to Artist or Professional for any version of Sonar.  Will those registration codes still be valid?

https://www.jrrshop.com/add-to-cart-for-15-off?manufacturer=63

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/09 14:45:53 (permalink)
abacab
I just noticed that JRRshop is still selling Sonar upgrades to Artist or Professional for any version of Sonar.  Will those registration codes still be valid?

They shouldn't be, but...  those redemption codes will work, yes.

Alex Westner

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/09 15:15:10 (permalink)
So just hypothetically speaking, if there was a straggler still wishing to catch a lifeline to future Sonar upgrades, they could get the Sonar Artist upgrade from any version at JRR for $41.65 with discount (groupbuyauto)...

Or Professional from any Sonar version for $126.65 ...

Or Platinum from any Sonar Producer for $169.15.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 00:42:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/05/10 01:35:26

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 00:43:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2017/05/10 01:35:56
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
abacab

They shouldn't be, but...  those redemption codes will work, yes.

This is like not being able to buy Custom Packs from XLN, but they allow you to redeem codes when bought from JRR

kevmsmith81
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 18:26:29 (permalink)
This doesn't appear to have worked for me - I currently own Sonar Professional, yet the prices showing for me to upgrade to Sonar Platinum are no less than the new customer price.

Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
Administrator
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 18:31:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kevmsmith81 2017/05/10 18:35:24
kevmsmith81
This doesn't appear to have worked for me - I currently own Sonar Professional, yet the prices showing for me to upgrade to Sonar Platinum are no less than the new customer price.

Hi Kevin,

I believe this is because your most recent registration is on Steam - you'd have to go through Steam to get your upgrade price.

Alex Westner

kevmsmith81
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 18:38:58 (permalink)
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
kevmsmith81

Hi Kevin,

I believe this is because your most recent registration is on Steam - you'd have to go through Steam to get your upgrade price.

Makes sense, thanks.

But unfortunate in my case as you can no longer do the monthly payments through Steam.  Credit card isn't an option for me either currently.

Admittedly, it wasn't going to be imminent due to other financial commitments, but was something I was seriously considering doing at the end of the year once  said financial commitments have been discharged.  But it looks like I'll just have to forget about an upgrade to Platinum for the near future.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 19:28:02 (permalink)
When you are ready, contact Pre-Sales and see what they can work out.
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re: Cakewalk Announces Simpler SONAR Prices 2017/05/10 20:10:47 (permalink)
kevmsmith81
Alex Westner [Cakewalk]
kevmsmith81

Hi Kevin,

Makes sense, thanks.

But unfortunate in my case as you can no longer do the monthly payments through Steam.  Credit card isn't an option for me either currently.

Admittedly, it wasn't going to be imminent due to other financial commitments, but was something I was seriously considering doing at the end of the year once  said financial commitments have been discharged.  But it looks like I'll just have to forget about an upgrade to Platinum for the near future.

Hi Kevin,

Give this page a looksie: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Renew

The Store Catalog needs a little love and isn't as smart as we'd like. We're working on addressing this in the near future but in the meantime can you try the link above instead?

Ryan Munnis
Cakewalk
Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1