Cakewalk International Distributon ... Killing the Company?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
dreamkeeper
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2141
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 14:44:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip Dreamkeeper!

You're welcome!
urock
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 501
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 15:12:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: luismacedo

Hey, urock!! Nice guitar in your avatar! Is it a Taylor 414ce? Just like mine ..nice guitar, nice sound!

Yes, its my baby! (although the pic itself is a stock photo) It plays like "butter." I figure it's probably the only piece of musicial equipment I'll keep for the rest of my life.

Best,

urock
Asseli
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 15:50:24 (permalink)
Hallo Loopjunkie, we bought (our musicschool) S 4 Prod. via the big musicstore thomann, germany. It was a school license and it was the best and cheapest pack (5 licenses) compared to all other seqenzers (cubase has got school license, too, but quite more expensive). But really, the 'ping-pong' service via edirol/cakewalk is not very good and has to be really improved.
Anyway, cakewalk's products are not the only funny things in the markets on both sides of the ocean: you can get a yamaha's o1x for $US 999 in the states and for 1.195 Euros in Germany. That'S QUITE A DIFFERENCE! Well, and as you said, why should we not pay more! (talking cynical)....

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
juca
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 17:44:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: luismacedo

Hi everybody,

Take just a look at this, when I go to Roland.pt(PORTUGAL) it routes me to RolandIBERIA which means RolandSPAIN and if I do a search on "SONAR" the answer I got is:
Registers Found=0 ... and the same for "CAKEWALK". Try for yourself because it is fun.

Hi Luis:
This is the exact point I told in my other post. If you to access www.roland.com.br and to make a search for Sonar, Cakewalk etc, you will have a "zero registers found" reply. You can´t to buy any Cakewalk product in that site. Is this a normal condition for a company wich represent the comercial interests of other company in other country? I believe it isn´t.
I hope Cakewalk take a fast providence about this problem because one great market (Brazil have so much musicians and Cakewalk products users) is being ignored by their representant in this country and this fact can be very negative in their products sales. More negative if this procedure is occurring in other countries, as you told us.
Greetings.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 18:10:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: juca

Hi Luis:
This is the exact point I told in my other post. If you to access www.roland.com.br and to make a search for Sonar, Cakewalk etc, you will have a "zero registers found" reply. You can´t to buy any Cakewalk product in that site. Is this a normal condition for a company wich represent the comercial interests of other company in other country? I believe it isn´t.

juca -

You've hit the nail right on the head here!

As I see it, Cakewalk have allowed themselves to be virtually swallowed up by Edirol as far as the non-US market is concerned ("Won't you come into my parlour said the spider to the fly?....)

Because of this, Cake evidently have now legally binding agrements that prevent them from selling to us direct. We might not like it (I certainly don't), but we have to live with ... BUT ALSO ... a legally binding commitment works both ways - ie Edirol surely must have a legally binding commitment to at least provide a basic standard of service to us, the international customers. In this they are clearly failing.

Why? Possibly because their only interest in this deal is to get their hands on Cake's awesome software so thatv they can bundle it into their crappy products to give themselves an edge over btheir competitprs' crappy products.

Either way, it's up to Cake to ensure that their international distributors keep to their side of the bargain.

PS to Nick ... thanks for your comments, mate, much appreciated.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
DigitalDesign Speakers
Petronome
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 19:49:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Grooveteer

WHOOO-HOOO!

Already got a reply from Edirol. I can order through them. (just did)

Maybe I should hold the whoohoo-ing until I have discs in grubby little hands, but I'm happy for the moment.

Thanks for the tip Dreamkeeper!

Love this forum.

Yea, just wait till you get your copy, and find out that it's on mandarin chinese!
LoopJunkie
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2466
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 19:58:10 (permalink)
I could buy another copy of Sonar 4 Producer & sell it for instance (only): to you for my cost plus shipping???? Then if you registered that copy, wouldn't you be entitled to Customer/Technical Support? If it is possible, alot of Americans might just become closer to our Global Friends!!!

Yes, that should be possible - we would have to pay VAT to customs on top of that if it's not made up as a gift

I wonder, though, if Cake would be able to track via serial numbers if a product has been sold via an unofficial channel and pops up in a wrong part of the world ... I remember once I bought some software in a store in the US and had trouble registering it when I returned to Germany.

loop

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 20:06:31 (permalink)
it's cool Edirol hooked you up .. but this is entirely a Cakewalk thing and they way they've
chosen to distribute their stuff ....

compare this with:

Sony Media Software Store

This is worldwide sales .. and they just charge more to international Fedex .. and they handle
upgrades and competetive offers and all that.

Seems like they're hardware bundling more in Europe and Asia .. maybe something Roland
mandated .. hard to tell.

jeff

glazfolk
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/28 20:16:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: LoopJunkie
I wonder, though, if Cake would be able to track via serial numbers if a product has been sold via an unofficial channel and pops up in a wrong part of the world ... I remember once I bought some software in a store in the US and had trouble registering it when I returned to Germany.

Loop ... I fear the answer is "Yes, they would" ... I remember during the S4 release/distribution farce, one enterprising member of this forum who lives in NZ (but whose name, alas, with the inexorable onward march of senility I cannot recall) was enterprising enough to have persuaded one of the US dealers to sell him an upgrade (an act it appears, which on the scale of crimes against humanity ranks somewhere between paedophilia and matrocide).

I recall him being sternly and publicly rebuked on this forum by someone in Cake marketing or sales for doing so, on top of which I now have in my mind an horrific image of a dealer somewhere like Seattle wandering around with no fingers ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A committee is an animal with too many mouths and not enough hands
Grooveteer
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 00:22:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Petronome

Yea, just wait till you get your copy, and find out that it's on mandarin chinese!

Well, I've heard that the Mandarin Chinese version is actually 20 - 40% better than the English version...

AMD X2 4800+, Asus A8V deluxe, 4Gb RAM, Dual 17" LCD, 2x UAD-1, Win XP-pro SP2, S7PE, Mackie Control, MOTU 128, Audiofire 12, Presonus CS, KRK RP8
vmw
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 02:42:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

it's cool Edirol hooked you up .. but this is entirely a Cakewalk thing and they way they've
chosen to distribute their stuff ....

compare this with:

Sony Media Software Store

This is worldwide sales .. and they just charge more to international Fedex .. and they handle
upgrades and competetive offers and all that.

Seems like they're hardware bundling more in Europe and Asia .. maybe something Roland
mandated .. hard to tell.

jeff

Sony pisses on Cakewalk when it comes to looking after non USA customers. At one stage Sony had a special shipping deal of a flat US$5.00 international shipping and what's more they tell you about in weekly e-mails. Roland/Intelliware Australia wouldn't know anything, and do nothing about supporting cake customers. In fact, I don't think they would even know if the **** house fell on them.
neonknight
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 03:47:44 (permalink)
I haven't read the whole thread, but I will say something as well..
I also live in Holland, and I am a registered user since Sonar 3.0...recently I also bought Project5V2...nice piece of software
But I will never spend a single euro on Cakewalk products again.
I never receive emails, I cannot buy online, Roland customer support sucks /well, it always has, not only for Cakewalk customers/...it's like our money is not worth like a US dollar...
I guess I will be more than fine with Cakewalk software that I already have for at least 2-3 years to come. This also fits into my idea of concentrating on music, and not on the upgrades..
Glazfolk, Ableton Live 5 iz amazing, and if I do buy something before the end of this year, it will be Live...
cheers everyone
neonknight
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 473
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 03:49:47 (permalink)
Sony rocks!
I receive emails on a regular weekly basis, though I never spent money on their software..
but if they continue like this, eventually I will..
that's what I call marketing!
But Sony is Sony..
JazzSinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 03:56:45 (permalink)
I live in Switzerland and the official distributor is Edirol (Roland).

I ordered HomeStudio as an upgrade from Cakewalk 4 for Dos (!) over Edirol Switzerland website, duly clicking all the relevant buttons regarding my location (some were grey but filled in correctly). I also contacted the phone number mentioned and, after being handed from one person to another and having to make several attempts to call (someone in the chain wouldn't pick up or the line would go dead) I was finally assured the upgrade was possible.

The only available delivery method was FedEx, which is silly because the postal service here runs like clockwork.

When I got my package, I discovered FedEx had charged me for "services".

When I got my credit card account, I discovered it had been posted from the United Kingdom and I had been charged VAT, and on import to Switzerland, I was charged further import duties and tax on top of that.

Bah!

And trying to e-mail people was unsuccessful, and phoning Edirol Switzerland I was again passed from person to person until finally the line went dead.

In the end I paid 75% over the value of the product!!!
glazfolk
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 04:06:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: neonknight
Glazfolk, Ableton Live 5 iz amazing, and if I do buy something before the end of this year, it will be Live...
cheers everyone

neon ... thanks for this info. I'm playing around with the Live 5 demo right now ... in many ways it's impressive indeed, but just seems to lack some of the features I need. But even if it was the answer to all my prayers and dreams, I'd much rather that cake got their service/support act together then be forced to switch to a dufferent product.

This is symptomatic of what I mean - from the Pyro 5 sticky thread:

Dear Cakewalk customers,

We are pleased to announce that Pyro 5 is now available for download. ...

... You can download Pyro 5 for $29 here.

Notice the last line. They don't even think to mention that this download is pretty much available to only US customers - because the existence of the rest of us doesn't even make it into their thought processes!
post edited by glazfolk - 2005/07/29 04:12:28

DigitalDesign Speakers
Grooveteer
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 04:08:31 (permalink)
Hmm. Don't feel so whoohoo anymore after reading JazzSinger's post.

Oh well... We'll see.

AMD X2 4800+, Asus A8V deluxe, 4Gb RAM, Dual 17" LCD, 2x UAD-1, Win XP-pro SP2, S7PE, Mackie Control, MOTU 128, Audiofire 12, Presonus CS, KRK RP8
Mr. G
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 04:17:00 (permalink)
When I upgraded to Sonar Studio 4 early this year through Edirol Europe, everything went smoothly, and the person who took my order on the telephone was very friendly and helpful, so I have no complaints in this respect. But I can confirm what has been said about a lack of e-mail communication (e.g. no announcement of updates), and the pricing difference in the case of Pyro is indeed ridiculous - for the equivalent of $29.95 I would probably have bought Pyro 5 already, but having to pay twice as much for an older version somehow doesn't convince me...

Jan (Germany)
post edited by Mr. G - 2005/07/29 04:25:04
Grooveteer
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 07:18:40 (permalink)
I'm such an idiot. Maybe I just don't deserve any better..

Just got a call from Edirol, they're processing my S4PE order but my creditcard's overdrawn.

My bad. I'll fix that tonight.

So far nothing but praise for Edirol. The guy gave me his direct number for me to call when I've fixed my card.

glazfolk
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 07:25:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Grooveteer
Just got a call from Edirol, they're processing my S4PE order but my creditcard's overdrawn.

Sorry, but there is a funny side to it!
Grooveteer
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 07:27:39 (permalink)
I know. I kind of liked the irony too. (not very much though)

glazfolk
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 07:42:29 (permalink)
... nearly as funny as the time I was discharged from hospital, and presented with a bill for around $3,500. Wouldn't have been a problem, except the Medicare card I flashed turned out to have expired six moinths earlier. I'd moved house and not received the replacement. Got it sorted out in the end though, but not funny at the time!
Grooveteer
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 07:47:21 (permalink)
Yeah, that sounds nice! What did they then do? Put your tonsils back in?

Andy C
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1272
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 09:24:43 (permalink)
To be fair Edirol UK are a lot better than they used to be, they got P5 V2 up oin site quickly and they have reduced their prices to be more in line with U.S prices.

Now if only they'd get the bloody download thing sorted !

Andy
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 10:17:23 (permalink)
Sony pisses on Cakewalk when it comes to looking after non USA customers. At one stage Sony had a special shipping deal of a flat US$5.00 international shipping and what's more they tell you about in weekly e-mails. Roland/Intelliware Australia wouldn't know anything, and do nothing about supporting cake customers. In fact, I don't think they would even know if the **** house fell on them.

they're still doing the $5 international fedex thing .. which is pretty cool.. now Sony has deeeeeeep
pockets .. but what they're doing on their site isn't that hard to emulate by smaller companies.
in fact, with steinberg being pretty dysfunctional right now .. this is the perfect time for cake to really
upgrade its presence in Europe ... isn't it easy to market consult from afar in complete ignorance? .. damn
i'm good ;-)

jeff
post edited by jmarkham - 2005/07/29 10:24:19
fac
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2427
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 19:03:28 (permalink)
I just received an email from Cakewalk about the 4.0.3 update (which I already downloaded and installed). What do you know? Maybe they're actually listening.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
Tonmann
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 661
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 19:29:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fac

I just received an email from Cakewalk about the 4.0.3 update (which I already downloaded and installed). What do you know? Maybe they're actually listening.

The same here. Seems like I'm added now, geat!
Thanks @ Cakewalk!
LoopJunkie
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2466
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 20:10:30 (permalink)
Been faithful to Cake since early Windows days - but they never write

Whenever I complain they tell me to drop them a mail or register yet another time, so I would be included in their mail distribution list - but that doesn't help, either. Nothing about 4.0.3 - I'm downloading right now and it's so sloooooooooooooooooooooow .......

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

loop

fac
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2427
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 20:20:35 (permalink)
It is slow, yeah. I was downloading at about 4 Kb/sec with my 512 Kpbs DSL connection. But the new audio engine is totally worth it.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
glazfolk
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/29 23:39:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: LoopJunkie
I'm downloading right now and it's so sloooooooooooooooooooooow .......

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Yeeah, but worth the wait. Or would you rather order it from Edirol?
post edited by glazfolk - 2005/07/29 23:53:22

DigitalDesign Speakers
metaprog
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 551
RE: Cakewalk International Distributon ... Still a Joke! 2005/07/30 01:29:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fac

Heh. Well, I'm in the USA and I don't think I've received an email from CW yet, other than order confirmations. I'm a pretty new customer - less than two months - but still....

Not that I mind. I pretty much keep up with things on the forum, anyway.

Good thing that 4.0.3 came out. I hadn't noticed that the version I received last week didn't have the previous patch applied. I was running 4.0.1.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1