AnsweredCakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 08:36:56 (permalink)
Euthymia

... users who seem to think that they're doing BandLab a favor by using this software for free ...

Well, we are really. Isn't that the point? Aren't Bandlab trying to expand their user base as much as possible?*

But, I'm very grateful that Bandlab are here doing what they've been doing, and will hopefully continue doing long into the future. And at a pace that suits their purposes.

I'd been working on the basis that the fact that the updates had been monthly so far was a coincidence rather than a plan.

* Euthymia - sorry for the severe edit and taking the quote a little out of context.

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 09:12:31 (permalink)
3 pages, 1529 views,  60 replies as of 11/18/2018  4:10AM EST
......and next week someone else will start another one.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
cowboydan
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 09:47:08 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Hi folks, 

Most software companies don't publish roadmaps, at least not detailed ones for many reasons... Its impossible to predict release timeframes, plans change, or there are details that are confidential or bound by IP.
Its also called vaporware and most people don't appreciate hearing about things that may never see the light of day :)
When we did the annual membership model at Cakewalk we used to publish some known items that we were working on primarily to give annual members some idea of what to expect if they wanted to purchase the annual plan. Even that got problematic to maintain so we discontinued it. BTW none of this had to do with Gibson twisting our arm to do anything. It was all part of Cakewalk's working strategy to make a better model to serve customers in a more responsive way and I still strongly believe that a more frequent update model is the best way to maintain software.

Regarding the frequency of CbB updates, there is no guarantee that we will have monthly updates. We release updates when we have something in a finished form, whether it be bug fixes, optimizations or features. While its been a very regular cadence so far, we may slow down sometimes when there are deeper features. For example the elastique integration took many months of work. This month we have some nice performance optimizations that will benefit some many users especially those with large projects. We also have a new feature as well which is taking longer than expected, so it will ship when its ready :)

There is no need for concern, as others have said. Meng is committed to the product and community and in another couple of months it will be a year since we have been doing this under BandLab. Things have only gotten more stable and richer for Cakewalk users...

Hi Noel
This is what I mean. Just getting in contact with the small folk and letting them know what's in the pipeline and how thing are going with cakewalk updates. Everyone likes to hear something and not being kept in the dark.
After posting the OP, I ended up having to change everything with the name Sonar because it was too difficult I think to understand my OP with  The name Sonar in my post and in my signature. Typing the word Sonar  is still a habit that is hard to get rid of. Very sad to have this happen when the person  has been with Sonar for decades.
Oh well, life goes on. Anyway thank you again for the informatie.

Danny
cowboydan
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 09:56:49 (permalink)
Post is put back.
post edited by cowboydan - 2018/11/18 20:19:58
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 16:26:05 (permalink)
The majority opinion really can't be gauged by forum activity. A lot of users who use the software dont have an account or never use the forum or just lurk, myself included in the latter.

When people reference monthly updates as a precedent you really can't blame them for anything but sublime ignorance, i.e. from the Gibson Cakewalk to Cakewalk by Bandlab. For them to confuse previous obligations with current regime of update strategy is in the lack of research or understanding, two different companies, two different objectives with the fortunate consequence of maintaining the same developemental personel.

I am NOT calling anyone stupid for asking about update strategy or why the former precedence is no longer applicable but, If you dont know by now this far along you should do some research BEFORE you post these queries(Emphasis intentional).

The majority opinion I can safety say due to my research and understanding is, wait for it.... Updates when they are ready, NOT monthly, what do you know... The current strategy.

For the silent majority and non-forum User's which I don't speak for but with their own research and understanding would agree, THAT is the best regime along with checking Bandlab Assistant online from time to time to see if an update is available.

I realize these post's will continue and patience will be tested, tempers will be flared and feelings will be hurt but it will all blow over... Until the next thread.

You may all continue...
post edited by CTStump - 2018/11/18 16:49:20

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 16:53:33 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Hi folks, 

Most software companies don't publish roadmaps, at least not detailed ones for many reasons... Its impossible to predict release timeframes, plans change, or there are details that are confidential or bound by IP.

hi noel, thanks for the response

nobody wants a detailed thing

but we haven't heard anything (excluding explanations why companies don't give away business plans) since the big change

so anything would be nice

please

cheers

just a sec

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 16:54:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cowboydan 2018/11/18 17:01:20
cowboydan
I posted twice now and was blocked twice. Nice to know that there is still this behavior on the forum.
I guess that this is how people get treated when they have an opinion.
Thanks  Danny 

more likely the over-active spambot

just a sec

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/18 17:58:31 (permalink)
I just have to chime in about this "forcing out updates before they were ready" myth about the Gibson era. Remember, I was the guy doing the monthly eZine that covered the new features and applications for same. There were many times where a feature was planned for an update, even down to my having written the article and done the layout, but pulled because some issue was found during testing, or some aspect of the feature needed more work. The Drum Replacer is a great example of a feature that was delayed many times (and probably people saying "Where's the Drum Replacer?" in the forums gave a good reason for Cakewalk to be less specific about updates).

The fluid nature of software development was also one of the reasons why I contributed content like FX chains, loops, etc. - they could fill in something for the update in case a feature was MIA. Because I was always creating content for my own use, there was never a problem with just picking something I had on my hard drive. So in that respect, yes, there was a sense of needing to have something out there every month...but including content I had developed had zero impact on the development team, or feature development.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/19 04:57:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/19 10:18:07
Wibbles
Euthymia
... users who seem to think that they're doing BandLab a favor by using this software for free ...

Well, we are really. Isn't that the point? Aren't Bandlab trying to expand their user base as much as possible?*

But, I'm very grateful that Bandlab are here doing what they've been doing, and will hopefully continue doing long into the future. And at a pace that suits their purposes.

I'd been working on the basis that the fact that the updates had been monthly so far was a coincidence rather than a plan.

* Euthymia - sorry for the severe edit and taking the quote a little out of context.

All forum content is subject to remix at will, innit? :-)

I think the best favors the pre-BandLab user base will be able to do will come when there is an official forum that allows the newbs to ask all y'all how to do stuff! That's what I'm looking forward to. To me, there's nothing quite like perusing a forum full of new users asking questions I hadn't even thought of and getting answers from veteran users who know 5 different ways to accomplish the task.

That's when I hope everybody will really have something to talk about, the enthusiasm level will be high, and there will be a new user community rather than an echo of a lost civilization. :-)

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/19 05:58:12 (permalink)
CTStump
The majority opinion really can't be gauged by forum activity. A lot of users who use the software dont have an account...

Good points, CT.

This makes me think of something: unlike most other freeware programs, BandLab can easily get a pretty accurate idea of how many people are actually using Cakewalk. Not just the usual "we're up to 750,000 downloads," which could go either way, maybe someone downloaded it and tried it and deleted it, or they downloaded it and put it on the school server and 500 students all install it every time there's an update.

By requiring users to register and use BandLab Assistant to install and update, BL have very cleverly built in a way to log not only initial install, but how many systems a given registered user installs it on, and whether they are bothering to install updates. Not precise, of course, as anyone could create multiple user accounts, or go around installing it on a classroom full of computers, but a pretty good idea.

If they stick around long enough to download an update, that means they're interested, and 2 updates means over a month of interest, and you can safely call that person a User. Installing on multiple computers means they're in love. And it can also notice whether the interest in Cakewalk translates into interest in BandLab-in-the-browser.

That little app that some people were so scared of can be used to collect data and I think they would be missing out not to use it for that purpose. Just not the kind of data those poor folks were worried about.

I would just love to get a look at those stats a year after the Gibson announcement....companies don't tend to publicize how many licenses they've sold, but of course they let the stock analysts know. And BandLab in their wisdom have built in a way to report pretty accurately to shareholders, investors, and analysts how well this investment is faring in the marketplace.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1