AnsweredCakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
2018/11/16 16:13:59 (permalink)

Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy

It would be nice to know when of if Cakewalk will be updated and how frequently this will happen. If there are no updates coming, that would be nice to know as well. It has been I think 2/3 of a year and have not heard very much from Bandlab about how they will go forward with the software in the future. It would be good for those who are getting used to using Cakewalk to know what the plans are up the road, possibly to maybe getting another daw that will be frequently updated and useable in the future.

In saying this I guess I'll be shot, yelled at, being called not grateful etc. I will not react to those that wish to be mean, so save your ammunition for someone else.

Danny

I have changed Sonar to Cakewalk to end some confusion as to the product name that I meant in my post.

post edited by cowboydan - 2018/11/16 16:36:13
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 16:21:16 (permalink)
cowboydan
It would be nice to know when of if Sonar will be updated and how frequently this will happen. If there are no updates coming, that would be nice to know as well. It has been I think 2/3 of a year and have not heard very much from Bandlab about how they will go forward with the software in the future. It would be good for those who are getting used to using Sonar to know what the plans are up the road, possibly to maybe getting another daw that will be frequently updated and useable in the future.

In saying this I guess I'll be shot, yelled at, being called not grateful etc. I will not react to those that wish to be mean, so save your ammunition for someone else.

Danny

SONAR will never be updated. Gibson stopped SONAR development and shutdown Cakewalk in Nov. 2017. BandLab purchase Cakewalk IP from Gibson this year and released an new product called Cakewalk by BandLab based on the last version of SONAR Platinum. CbB has been updated every 4 to 6 weeks (approx) since its release in April 2018. The installer for CbB works like an upgrade to 64bit SONAR (for those with SONAR already installed) and takes advantage of any content bundled with SONAR.
a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 16:25:12 (permalink)
scook
SONAR will never be updated. Gibson stopped SONAR development and shutdown Cakewalk in Nov. 2017. BandLab purchase Cakewalk IP from Gibson this year and released an new product called Cakewalk by BandLab based on the last version of SONAR Platinum. CbB has been updated every 4 to 6 weeks (approx) since its release in April 2018. The installer for CbB works like an upgrade to 64bit SONAR (for those with SONAR already installed) and takes advantage of any bundled content.

I am sure that the author know all of that since his thread is called "CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB Update Strategy" and not SONAR update strategy.
Edit: I want to know more too.
cowboydan
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 16:25:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby a13xhp 2018/11/16 16:26:57
scook
SONAR will never be updated. Gibson stopped SONAR development and shutdown Cakewalk in Nov. 2017. BandLab purchase Cakewalk IP from Gibson this year and released an new product called Cakewalk by BandLab based on the last version of SONAR Platinum. CbB has been updated every 4 to 6 weeks (approx) since its release in April 2018. The installer for CbB works like an upgrade to 64bit SONAR (for those with SONAR already installed) and takes advantage of any bundled content.

I am sorry for the confusion. I meant Cakewalk, not Sonar. I would think that men could read between the names of the software, but I will correct it in my OP.
Danny
scook
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 16:46:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/16 21:18:24
There is no confusion here. Your .sig suggests you use Sonar [sic], a product no longer manufactured. You subject mentioned one product, the body of your original post mentioned the product in your .sig.

If you want a product that is currently being developed, maintained and supported that currently looks and works like SONAR upgrade to CbB.

If you want a road map for CbB future development expect to be disappointed. I would delighted if BandLab provided a detailed road map for CbB (or some third DAW mentioned in the OP) development with target delivery dates. I would also like to see planned product rollouts with release dates and price info. Maybe updates on some of the internal goings on like the account migration, when the new forum will be introduced. That said, I do not expect anything regarding status other than an announcement when ready.
Johnbee58
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 16:46:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/16 21:18:40
Seems like at least every other week somebody starts another one of these types of threads and the answer is always the same.  I agree.  I'd like to see some forward movement too, but they don't seem to be phased by our constantly badgering them.  We just need to be patient and enjoy the fact that we have something at this point in time.  Think of how worried some of us were a year ago.  We didn't know how much longer we would even be able to use what we had then.  Now we all have the best of Sonar for nothing.  We'll get nowhere by pushing.  We're only wasting our time starting these types of threads.  I say be patient.  They will move things forward on their timetable.

Respectfully;
John B

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 16:56:13 (permalink)
Johnbee58
Seems like at least every other week somebody starts another one of these types of threads and the answer is always the same.  I agree.  I'd like to see some forward movement too, but they don't seem to be phased by our constantly badgering them.  We just need to be patient and enjoy the fact that we have something at this point in time.  Think of how worried some of us were a year ago.  We didn't know how much longer we would even be able to use what we had then.  Now we all have the best of Sonar for nothing.  We'll get nowhere by pushing.  We're only wasting our time starting these types of threads.  I say be patient.  They will move things forward on their timetable.

Respectfully;
John B

they're not phased because they'd have to come to this forum regularly and read it, which they're clearly not doing

be happy there's some version of sonar still available, but i don't think it's ever gonna get top billing at bandlab...

just a sec

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:02:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/16 21:18:48
CbB update strategy? They have one and it's working. This much I know. Going on what we've all already been told, there's no reason for alarm.
There have been several updates since the takeover. Future updates are being worked on. I don't need an update to complete my projects, so I guess for me anything additional is only icing on the Cake

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:09:04 (permalink)
All of this is great but How much time does it take to make a new forum? I don't want to wait another year and maybe they could provide some type of "pre-release discussion" like in REAPER forums, to see in what the hell they are working. I am not asking too much and I am a little fed up of this situation. On the other hand, the software is great and works well but that is a different topic...
scook
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:27:02 (permalink)
What if the new forum does not meet your expectations? Hopefully it will.
CbB does not have public betas. If they did, there would likely be a discussion area for them.
You may be asking a little too much and that could be causing your frustration.
Starise
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:30:09 (permalink)
We have been told there will be a new forum. I know it's been awhile. Not sure if you seen pics of the Cakewalk booth? There were only a handful of guys there. That's basically the Cakewalk team. This is nothing to be alarmed at since other DAW makers have similar teams. It DOES, however explain why they might be behind just a little.

I think if we could at least get the "Sonar" heading changed to " Cakewalk By Bandlab" that would be a huge move forward. The website does clearly direct traffic to CbB now. That wasn't happening before. I've frequented this forum for a long time. I don't dislike how it works now. I imagine a new forum will be more integrated with Bandlab. Another possibility is they are adding the goodies to purchase in terms of plugins and synths and this could be taking a little time. I don't like eating unbaked cake. A yes is a yes. We have a yes. We don't have a when. 

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

scook
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:39:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby AT 2018/11/18 15:35:10
Starise
I think if we could at least get the "Sonar" heading changed to " Cakewalk By Bandlab" that would be a huge move forward.

I don't want BandLab to spend a second or a cent on this forum if it impacts the rollout of anything. In this case. I can agree with the OP
cowboydan
I would think that men could read between the names of the software

I expect women could too.
cowboydan
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:49:57 (permalink)
scook
There is no confusion here. Your .sig suggests you use Sonar [sic], a product no longer manufactured. You subject mentioned one product, the body of your original post mentioned the product in your .sig.

If you want a product that is currently being developed, maintained and supported that currently looks and works like SONAR upgrade to CbB.

If you want a road map for CbB future development expect to be disappointed. I would delighted if BandLab provided a detailed road map for CbB (or some third DAW mentioned in the OP) development with target delivery dates. I would also like to see planned product rollouts with release dates and price info. Maybe updates on some of the internal goings on like the account migration, when the new forum will be introduced. That said, I do not expect anything regarding status other than an announcement when ready.

So, that is taken care of. My sig is changed now. Anything to make Mr. Scook happy. I sure wouldnt want to offend you in any way.
scook
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 17:59:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/16 21:19:25
I am not responsible for your posts or .sig. Don't see how you can legitimately whine about replies based on the information you post.
cowboydan
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:08:42 (permalink)
scook
I am not responsible for your posts or .sig. Don't see how you can legitimately whine about replies based on the information you post.

I am not whining about anything on this forum. I believe that I asked a few questions to find out from Bandlab what the future would bring. Instead I get hit with your posts because I used Sonar in my OP. After that was changed You started on my signature had Sonar in it. This I also corrected. I would never have expected that you were the GODFATHER of Bandlab. And I did not expect to have a hard time from you because I asked a few questions. Are all Texans like this?
scook
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:14:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/16 21:19:38
Maybe your beliefs are wrong. Why so personal? I answered your questions and you did not like the answers. That is OK. Getting personal is not.

Does it stem from
cowboydan

If so, I have no gun, did not yell or call you out for being ungrateful. Must be the "et cetera" category that caused the reaction.

Still, your reaction to my posts is unwarranted.
cowboydan
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:26:37 (permalink)
scook
Maybe your beliefs are wrong. Why so personal? I answered your questions and you did not like the answers. That is OK. Getting personal is not.

Does it stem from
cowboydan

If so, I have no gun, did not yell or call you out for being ungrateful. Must be the "et cetera" category that caused the reaction.

Still it seems your reaction to my posts is unwarranted.

I did not see that you were representing Bandlab when you answered my question. It might have been beter just answering the question without your issues with Sonar ( by habit) in my OP and after that with my signature. 
I did ask a few questions and I hope to get the answer from someone else except you. I do not think you are the right person to answer these questions. And yes "I Believe "
scook
Forum Host
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:42:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Wibbles 2018/11/16 21:20:02
This is a public peer-to-peer forum. There is no expectation anyone will answer posts.

I am not a BandLab employee and have never claimed to represent BandLab in this thread.

I replied to your posts as posted and clarified. Hopefully others will choose to participate. Maybe someone will provide replies more to your liking.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:49:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jrmunday 2018/11/18 10:55:13
I don't know of any DAW company that publicizes what future plans are beyond some occasional hints, although Noel has done that as well. For example no one knew that Studio One 4 would include harmonic editing, Avid didn't pre-announce they were going to monthly updates, Ableton didn't comment on whether or not Live 10 would include VST3, etc.

I think it's quite straightforward. Cakewalk is being updated; something like replacing the audio stretching algorithm is a pretty big deal. Sure, it would be nice to know what updates are being contemplated in the background, but again, I don't see why BandLab would be any different in this respect than most other manufacturers who keep things under wraps until they're ready. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Canopus
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 261
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:50:55 (permalink)
cowboydan
It would be nice to know when of if Cakewalk will be updated and how frequently this will happen. If there are no updates coming, that would be nice to know as well. It has been I think 2/3 of a year and have not heard very much from Bandlab about how they will go forward with the software in the future. It would be good for those who are getting used to using Cakewalk to know what the plans are up the road, possibly to maybe getting another daw that will be frequently updated and useable in the future.

There have been numerous posts in this forum asking for road maps, strategies and schedules. Your post is certainly not the first and probably not the last. But this is basically a peer-to-peer forum. Should Meng turn up to give any such information, you can rest assured that it would be posted as a stickie at the top of this page for everyone to see. Until then, I guess we all just have to wait.

Starise
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 18:59:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cowboydan 2018/11/16 19:12:28
scook
Starise
I think if we could at least get the "Sonar" heading changed to " Cakewalk By Bandlab" that would be a huge move forward.

I don't want BandLab to spend a second or a cent on this forum if it impacts the rollout of anything. In this case. I can agree with the OP
cowboydan
I would think that men could read between the names of the software

I expect women could too

Agreed. I would rather Cakewalk spend time on the most important things. When I brought this up it was mainly me thinking it was a few minutes to fix a title. Maybe not? 

Scook. It can sometimes be difficult to gauge intent on the web. I will say you seem a bit testy and dismissive here. 

Twitter @Rodein

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 19:15:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby a13xhp 2018/11/16 20:03:49
It's a free program financed via a tip jar, what did you all expect? It is what it is, take it or leave it.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 19:24:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby michael diemer 2018/11/17 02:20:56
The company formerly known as Cakewalk, probably set up pretty unrealistic expectations when they started the rolling updates policy, which was primarily a marketing ploy intended to complement the membership model. Apparently there is now a group of users of the product presently known as Cakewalk who are salivating like Pavlov's dogs in anticipation of the same kind of monthly distribution of tidbits they have come to expect. Frankly I found rolling updates just plain annoying. When they were in force, there were many users who complained about an update that was underwhelming in terms of new features, and those who were unhappy that some stuff got released before it was fully cooked. I expect that most of us will be happier if Cakewalk is not updated on a self imposed calendar based schedule, but rather when significant bug fixes and features are ready for release. Unless you are planning to purchase another DAW that has features you need, and want to save some money if Cakewalk will have those features in the near future, there seems to be little utility in knowing what some form of Cakewalk vaporware will take before it arrives.
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 20:46:46 (permalink)
Every month some people get nervous when there is an delay on the expected Update. That's quite funny. Me and myself I think to myself, the longer the wait, the bigger the bang. Time to fill up the basement with beer and champers. 

Cheers :)

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 22:44:09 (permalink)
Gibson did a disservice with the monthly updates (which was inexorably bound to the marketing/billing model) in that they forced "something" to be released each month which led users to expect something (not always quality, but just SOMETHING!) and totally undermined any marketing campaign (the "same ole, same ole" scenario).

To put that into perspective, PreSonus and iZotope are good examples of making releases into a horse and pony show. It is often common to see a lot of fanfare well in advance of their releases that draw a lot of attention with grandiose claims (some true, some not so true). Videos, web casts, etc... with some people "Oohing" and "Ahing" and others throwing rocks... but regardless, attention (i.e., adept marketing). In the 20-working-day release cycle with SONAR, marketing was lost in the shuffle and continues to be so... pretty much relegated to this forum which forsakes new members.

CbB has always had great potential to be more, but I have always felt the monthly updates mandated by Gibson would have a lingering detrimental effect. It would be nice to see an attention-grabbing campaign surface (if even by users), but the paradigm seems to be entrenched already.

[Good grief... just reread this and made me feel like a walking thesaurus, sorry about that!]

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 23:48:10 (permalink)
I would be happy to see one decent update a year.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/16 23:57:41 (permalink)
Well, we're almost at full circle now. :-)
retired_account
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/17 00:09:31 (permalink)
No-one payed a dime for CbB, no-one is owed a thing.
Be thankful it's still around.
newdreamstudio
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/17 00:29:05 (permalink)
...  after waiting a few hours to see if I wanted to reply to this thread, I've decided to reply... YMMV...

lots of energy around this one!
I think that everyone just wants a great result, no one wants to feel dissed...
... would that more politicians get that...

Texans and the Netherlands:    I assure you that the vast vast majority of Texans are wonderful people...   of course/as always the media goes for "the story"...     my Oregonian wife has really enjoyed 99% of the Texans that she's known (including me)..      and I have a total soft spot in my heart for anyone from the Netherlands...
...   so maybe  everybody take a breath...  

SCOOK:   really:   he is one of the good guys...    Very Very Very patient...   I couldn't be that patient with what comes across on the forum...     he's always out to help, IMO his advice is about the best.... 

.......  just sayin'

Rusty
Santa Fe, NM/USA    formerly Texas/USA

rusty kirkland
Studiocat, Intel i7-8th gen/Coffee Lake @ 5.0GHz,  32 gigs RAM, SONAR Platinum 64bit, Motu 2408, 24 I/O and 8pre
CbB
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Cakewalk by Bandlab Update strategy 2018/11/17 00:44:45 (permalink)
I'm going to hop on user peer Honda website and ask what Honda's plans are for future models of the Odessey line of vehicles. Then and only then will I decide to upgrade. And dagnabbt, they better give me the answers I want (hint: hovercraft).

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1