Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Spencer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2014/04/19 21:08:23 (permalink)

Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e)

I submitted a support request for this, but I thought someone here might have an idea. Out of nowhere my Sonar began acting up. Used to be fine last session. First it decided to set itself to 16bit, but that's sorted out. Now, I get uncontrollable clicks and pops during playback, but only specifically when there's low frequency content playing. Also, moving the volume, pan and gain faders during playback causes audible noise, but again, only in the case of audio tracks where there's bass. Only Sonar's track faders, inside Battery or Kontakt they work fine. This isn't related to buffer size, cpu spikes, windows power options or dcp latency, I checked it all out. Updating my focusrite pro24dsp to latest mixcontrol driver and firmware didn't help (it's working without issues outside of Sonar). I even moved my project and samples to an empty hard drive just in case, no luck. Tried the legacy firewire driver, no luck again. So something's gone awry in my sonar's audio engine. It's not clipping, everything is in the green. I'm using X3E but, alarmingly enough, X2A has the same problem. Quite unsettling.

Tried with the Auzentech X-Fi's asio driver, same problem, so definitely has to do with sonar and not my Focusrite. Bracing myself for a full re-install by now.
post edited by Spencer - 2014/04/19 23:09:32

53 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/19 23:15:54 (permalink)
    It sounds like you're pushing a constraint like IO (input output for reading the hard drive) or processor. In such a case, random things will cause crackling. When IO is at a limit, minor changes in processing can interrupt critical IO. Check the file size you are writing. Make sure you are recording 24 bit waves, not 32... find this in preferences.

You've been in the forum since 2005, but I'll mention LatencyMon anyway.
    http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

This is always a good tool to use to check your Deferred procedure call latency.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 01:04:08 (permalink)
    1.  What happens if you hit 'E' on your computer keyboard, to bypass all effects?

2.  Also, what happens in a new project - with a simple and small number of tracks, and no effects?

Just trying to isolate the engine itself, and see what it sounds like in a simpler world.

Could you please list the following information?

From audio interface: Sample Rate, ASIO Buffer Size
    From Sonar: Sample Rate, Driver Mode, Record Bit-Depth, Total Roundtrip Latency

Lastly, I am wondering if perhaps some new updates have changed something, or if perhaps it is something simple like increasing the Prepare Using ___ Millisecond Buffers parameter size to something like either 500 MS or 750 MS.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 02:01:42 (permalink)
    Although the way you describe some of the symptoms make it sound like the noise is coming from SONAR, I have to wonder if this might be an analog issue like low frequencies vibrating a loose connection to your monitors or possibly a component going bad in the analog section of your interface. Do you get the same noise monitoring with headphones? You might also try a demo or freeware version of another audio app to check whether it might be a firmware/hardware/system problem outside of SONAR. And can you reproduce the problem in a new project not using any 3rd-party plugins?

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 11:55:16 (permalink)
    It only happens in Sonar, standalone Kontakt and Kore2 work fine, and even with one single instance of any synth or sampler and nothing else at all in the project. Like I said, asio buffer size and dcp latency aren't the issue (unless asio and playback buffer of 2048 and latency under 500uS is insufficient), it's some sort of engine bug. I work in 44khz 24bit. It comes directly from sonar, whether I use my sound card's headphone out or spdif out.

Aaaand a re-install didn't help whatsoever. Here I was, thinking I had seen everything with Sonar. Noisy faders now. Wtf. Cakewalk better come up with a good explanation for this. Software just doesn't quit working correctly from one day to the next. Nothing happened in my system except a new video card, which can't possibly be related to this.
    post edited by Spencer - 2014/04/20 12:53:30
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:08:15 (permalink)
    I doubt this will make a difference, it can't hurt to try and I would definitely do it before a re-install; force a full re-personalization by holding CTRL and SHIFT while starting SONAR. This process resets the user directory config files and some registry settings back to factory defaults.

Make sure all drivers (not just audio) and the OS are up to date.
    brundlefly
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:19:38 (permalink)
    Spencer
    Software just doesn't quit working correctly from one day to the next.

Exactly, and no one else is reporting anything like this. That's why it's highly unlikely that the problem is due to a software defect, and we're all looking for some other cause. Something changed somewhere.

Steve's suggestion of a complete re-personalization is a good idea. But short of that, just renaming AUD.INI will cause SONAR to build a new default one, and if it resolves the issue you can compare the new one to the old one to see what the culprit is.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:21:21 (permalink)
    Yeah everything is up to date, I'm a power user with a high-end gaming pc. My new card is a GTX 770, used to have a 580. Ctrl+shift start didn't work, nor did deleting aud.ini and ttsseq.ini. Recorded fader automation does not create the noise, only physically moving it with the mouse or a midi controller during playback does. Still clicks and pops in any case, though.
    brundlefly
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:28:08 (permalink)
    Spencer
    Yeah everything is up to date, I'm a power user with a high-end gaming pc. My new card is a GTX 770, used to have a 580. Ctrl+shift start didn't work, nor did deleting aud.ini and ttsseq.ini. Recording fader automation does not create the noise, only physically moving it with the mouse or a midi controller during playback does. Still clicks and pops in any case, though.

I was just gogin  to edit my post to say that video or mouse driver issue seems like a likely culprit, too. "High-end gaming" hardware is not necessarily the best platform for a DAW.

But I'm not sure I understand what you mean by recording automation without using the mouse or a controller. Do you mean playing back previously recorded automation? In that case mouse driver would be  suspect. I know there have been some issues with High-DPI gaming mice.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:30:14 (permalink)
    Spencer
     Nothing happened in my system except a new video card, which can't possibly be related to this.

Why not?
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:30:21 (permalink)

Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 13:56:02 (permalink)
    Just for "fun" I re-installed the same driver I used to have with my 580, version 320.18, same problem. In any case I'm quite simply unable to believe that either a video card or a mouse driver (the fader itself is being problematic, mouse or midi controller) could somehow interfere with a professional daw. Especially when the rest of the audio software works fine (and the daw itself used to perform as intended). Yes I meant recorded automation, I edited the post, sorry about that. During the recording of the automation, there is indeed the noise. Speaking of which, I used my X-Fi's What U Hear feature to record the fader noise, for those who are curious. Not sure where the odd ringing comes from, possibly the X-Fi's rather crappy recorder, but you can still clearly hear, in succession, the volume fader, the pan fader and then the gain fader. Bonus: a click upon pressing Stop, despite having a long enough Fade Out on Stop to normally avoid this.
    Here it is on soundcloud: http://bit.ly/1lqFBl5

This guy here http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Faders-Make-Noise-When-Using-SPDIF-and-Analog-outs-m2437639.aspx had a similar problem, it would seem. He probably went on to keep using DAWs that don't have such highly illogical and apparently unsolvable issues. I'm rather tempted myself.
    post edited by Spencer - 2014/04/20 14:04:34
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 14:31:48 (permalink)
    Try moving the graphics card to a different slot if possible.  

Best
    John
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 14:42:09 (permalink)
    Spencer

This guy here http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Faders-Make-Noise-When-Using-SPDIF-and-Analog-outs-m2437639.aspx had a similar problem, it would seem. He probably went on to keep using DAWs that don't have such highly illogical and apparently unsolvable issues. I'm rather tempted myself.

Snarky and unfounded. The gentlemen's most recent post discussed using X3. Not sure how that helps your cause but you know best.

Good luck
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 17:23:53 (permalink)
    I know you are frustrated, but please understand that we are trying to help you get to the bottom of this, so that you can get it sorted out.

I FIRMLY believe this issue is system-specific, because this is not an issue that is being reported by a bunch of folks, regardless of what you believe can or cannot be the root cause.

So, you can either provide the information we request - which may indeed be barking up the wrong tree (in which case we will figure that out and adjust our questions appropriately), or you can choose to not help us to help you, in which case there's not much value in continuing the thread.

Let's take a fresh look at what and how you are running, and go from there.

1.  What is the ASIO Buffer Size set to for your audio interface?
    2.  In Sonar, what is the Driver Mode set to, and what does Sonar report your Total Roundtrip Latency to be?
    3.  Does this noise happen in ALL projects, some projects, or just 1 project?
    4.  Have you tried starting a new project and recording, with NO effects loaded at all, and then tested to see if the noise is still present?
    5.  IF your audio interface is connected to your computer through a USB port, is it connected through a USB 3 port, or through a USB 2 port?
    6.  Is ASIO4ALL installed on your system, even if it there but not used?

Thanks, I will do my best to help you get this squared away - just hang in there.  I look forward to your providing info as requested for each of the above items.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    microapp
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 653
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 21:06:04 (permalink)
    Spencer,
    If you are on Win 7, try turning on the Aero interface. This is supposed to offload graphics chores to the GPU rather than the CPU. This helped with crackles and pops on my system although I am sure you have a much beefier setup than I do. You don't need all the snazzy Aero features, I turned off everything but smooth screen fonts so it looks exactly the same as non-Aero.
    Also there was a thread within the last two months describing a high end Nvidia card switching power modes. This caused problems similar to yours. There was a registry or GPU control panel option to keep the GPU in one power mode. I tried to find this thread but could not. Maybe someone here can direct you to it.
    Michael

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
    Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
    I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
    Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
    Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
    Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
    Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
    Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
    Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
    microapp
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 653
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 21:36:08 (permalink)
    Spencer,
    Here is the thread describing the issue. It is PCI-E video card switching between PCI-E mode 1.1 and 2.0.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sound-Crackling-CPU-Latencies-When-MultiDock-Maximized-m2921285-p2.aspx
    post # 49, near the end.

Michael

Sonar Platinum, Cubase Pro 8.5, Reaper 5, Studio One 2
    Melodyne Studio 4, Finale 2012
    I7-5820K 4.5GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2800,3 monitors,Win 10 Pro
    Toshiba P75-A7100,l7-4900 2.4 Ghz/8MB Win 8.1 Pro
    Tascam FW-1884, Emu 0404USB, CMC-AI,Axiom 61
    Yamaha HS-50's, Sony SA-W2500, Sennheiser RS170's, ATH-M50
    Ibanez Jem7VWH, RG-1570
    Jackson DK2-S(Sustainiac),Les Paul Custom
    Digitech Valve-FX, GFX-1,TSR-24,RP-90
    Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/20 23:57:22 (permalink)
    robert_e_bone
    1.  What is the ASIO Buffer Size set to for your audio interface?
    2.  In Sonar, what is the Driver Mode set to, and what does Sonar report your Total Roundtrip Latency to be?
    -ASIO, 44.1KHz, 24bit, 10.1ms roundtrip
    3.  Does this noise happen in ALL projects, some projects, or just 1 project?
    -All projects, old and new.
    4.  Have you tried starting a new project and recording, with NO effects loaded at all, and then tested to see if the noise is still present?
    -Yes. As long as there is any discernable low frequency content, be it a synth or sample, it will click and pop and the fader will make the noise when moved. There's nothing else at all in the project. Not related to PDC either.
    5.  IF your audio interface is connected to your computer through a USB port, is it connected through a USB 3 port, or through a USB 2 port?
    -My sound card is Firewire. Focusrite Saffire Pro24dsp.
    6.  Is ASIO4ALL installed on your system, even if it there but not used?
    -No. Never installed that.

I did the PCie tweak, hopeful it would help, and I guess it kind of does since the clicks do seem less numerous, but they're still there, and the fader still makes noise when moved. To be truthful I hate nVidia's drivers, their software team is full of completely hopeless dweebs and they always break important stuff (their latest work of art is messing up texture filter clamping), however in this case, if my new card really is the culprit, which would leave me truly dumbfounded, IMHO it's on Cakewalk's end since nothing else in my vast list of audio software is affected by it. Really, sometimes I think it's just too bad that every single other daw's interface is abysmal compared to Sonar. Certainly would save me some headaches otherwise. What a finnicky, annoying audio engine.

Tried disabling aero, didn't help, instead left me traumatized. Good lord. Never again.
    My specs are i5 2500k 4.4ghz, asus p8z68v/gen3, 2x4gb g.skill 1600mhz ddr3, zotac gtx770 4gb, crucial m4 ssd 128gb, assortment of 5-6TB worth of secondary drives, good old Novation X-Station 49 with the upper octave not working so well anymore, 800w mushkin PSU, vestigial 5.25" bay hard drive cooler from 10 years ago with a non-connected 150gb Raptor drive in it, but more importantly it has a still functional scrolling LED display which says "Apple Sucks!!". Ties the box together like nothing else.
    post edited by Spencer - 2014/04/21 00:19:36
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 08:46:02 (permalink)
    I have had video issues in the past - cannot recall details, but DO remember that I chucked the 2 high-end cards I was using and LITERALLY moved to driving 2 HDTV's I use as display monitors with simply the on-board video.

For my setup, 1 display is connected to the motherboard's HDMI port, and I connect the other one using a plain old VGA cable.  My two displays are a 32" HDTV and a 46" HDTV, and just using the on-board video works just fine for me with Sonar.

The reason I mentioned all of the above, is to suggest - just for a test - that you simply pull the video card and try using your on-board video, IF present.

Bob Bone

Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 14:37:03 (permalink)
    Unfortunately that's not a possible workaround. I'll chuck sonar long before I chuck my graphics card. Other daws don't have such non-sensical problems.

@John I tried, didn't help.
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 15:53:01 (permalink)
    Hang on - I didn't ask you to chuck your video card.

All I did was ask you to TEST with the card temporarily pulled from the computer.

We're talking about MAYBE 10 minutes work - shutdown, open case, remove card, reboot, test Sonar, shutdown, install card again, close case, reboot.  DONE.

You can do as you choose.  I think there is something system-specific with your computer that is causing these issues, and the reality of it all is that it is POSSIBLE that the video card or drivers for it have some sort of conflict.

All I asked you to do was to check it out, as noted above - to determine if that is potentially a source for the issues, or to rule it out.  10 minutes.  I think it worth investing that amount of time into trying to solve the issues.

Or not  - your choice.

Bob Bone

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 17:12:11 (permalink)
    Spencer
    To be truthful I hate nVidia's drivers, their software team is full of completely hopeless dweebs and they always break important stuff (their latest work of art is messing up texture filter clamping), however in this case, if my new card really is the culprit, which would leave me truly dumbfounded, IMHO it's on Cakewalk's end since nothing else in my vast list of audio software is affected by it.

I'm not sure what the vast list of software includes, but Sonar ties in with Windows at a very fundamental level...more so than most other programs, which is a major reason why Sonar X3 needs to limit its official support to Windows 7 and 8. While this tight integration promotes better performance with Sonar, it is more dependent on its host machine.

I have often experienced graphics card issues that affect one piece of software but not another. One issue affected anything from M-Audio but nothing from Cakewalk. I reviewed a Focusrite interface that was non-functional until I downloaded updated graphics drivers. Intuitively, it would seem that a high-end gaming machine would be ideal for audio because the emphasis is on performance. However, the performance prioritizes incredibly fast frame rates from games rather than passing audio over buses. Gamers don't really care if the audio is delayed by 50ms; Sonar users do. Some high-end graphics cards grab the PCI bus and won't let go.

I've always had my computers integrated by companies that specialized in machines for audio. They generally recommend very basic graphic cards. When I swapped out an nVidia for a fanless ATI, it helped performance as well as noise levels. When I had the nVidia card, I always set a system restore point after downloading drivers, and would exercise the drivers thoroughly. I didn't have to restore often, but when I did, I was very glad I set that restore point.

It took me quite a while to accept that graphics cards and drivers could have such a major effect on pro audio. It just didn't seem to make sense. But over the years, I've learned that graphics capabilities of Windows computers can make a huge difference with audio-related programs.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 19:01:38 (permalink)
    Confirmed: the issue happens even with the motherboard's onboard video, with the 770 removed.

I also uninstalled X2 and manually removed every trace of any previous Sonar installation I could find, going over the folders, registry, everything. Clean installed X3, faders still make noise. Ugh. This being said, I'm uncertain about my 100% deletion of everything, as the X3 installer still had my serial number in it, and shared component paths. Not sure it would really make a difference though.

Checked out demos for Studio One, Reaper, Fl Studio. None of them have the problem, but Jesus H Christ, how anyone manages to make any music in there is beyond me. Nothing left to do but wait for tech support to reply.

Like, wtf. How can the faders even possibly make noise, and one single bass track all on its own generate clicks&pops on a powerhouse computer. Something is definitely awry on a fundamental level in the audio engine, and I am the lucky winner who gets to witness it. Can't wrap my head around it at all.
    Anderton
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 19:35:04 (permalink)
    Spencer
    Checked out demos for Studio One, Reaper, Fl Studio. None of them have the problem

To my point, they're all cross-platform.

Like, wtf. How can the faders even possibly make noise, and one single bass track all on its own generate clicks&pops on a powerhouse computer. Something is definitely awry on a fundamental level in the audio engine, and I am the lucky winner who gets to witness it. Can't wrap my head around it at all.

If it was a problem solely with the audio engine, somebody else would be experiencing it. That's not to say there isn't a potential problem in the audio engine that manifests under particular circumstances, but given that it worked before a new graphics card and didn't work properly after a new graphics card, then it seems like the issue is either something in the graphics card drivers or the way the audio engine interacts with those particular drivers.

Humor me: try using the most plain vanilla USB mouse you can find and see if that makes a difference. Maybe the new graphics card drivers have special accommodations for high-performance gaming mice? These are known to cause audio performance issues, and not just with Sonar.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 20:33:19 (permalink)
    Better still: no mouse plugged in at all, the problems persists. Adjusting the faders with my midi controller makes the same noise. By now, with the problem happening with no video card or mouse plugged in, it can be assumed my gaming gear isn't related. Same with the Saffire which performs flawlessly in all other asio software I can throw at it. In any case, this is certainly eye-opening: cross-platform software isn't necessarily worse than windows exclusive.
    Anderton
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 21:02:11 (permalink)
    Spencer
    Better still: no mouse plugged in at all, the problems persists. Adjusting the faders with my midi controller makes the same noise. By now, with the problem happening with no video card or mouse plugged in, it can be assumed my gaming gear isn't related.

But the drivers are still installed. I've had problems with some audio interface drivers with ASIO4ALL installed, even when using the native drivers and ASIO4ALL is just sitting there. Those nVidia driver packages are what, over 100MB? They put a lot of files into your system.

Same with the Saffire which performs flawlessly in all other asio software I can throw at it. In any case, this is certainly eye-opening: cross-platform software isn't necessarily worse than windows exclusive.

My point about cross-platform is that by being Windows-only, Sonar can take advantage of esoteric Windows features that are less likely to be used by cross-platform software. The same holds for Logic on the Mac. This is also a reason why you won't see a Mac port of Sonar any time soon; it's too intertwined with the Windows OS. Separating them would be a Heculean task. But this also means that if Windows sneezes, Sonar catches a cold.

What I'm saying is:

1. If it was a universally-applicable audio engine problem, you wouldn't be the only person experiencing it. I've logged major hours in these forums and never saw a post that moving faders caused issues. This isn't to say I might have missed it, but what you're describing is at best extremely rare.
    2. It seems logical that the issues are the result of the audio engine interacting with...something. But we don't know what, So a re-install won't help, because it won't change the nature of the interaction.
    3. No one else has been able to offer a solution, presumably because the people reading this thread haven't experienced it.
    4. The issue of installing a graphics card and having problems appear makes something involving the graphics card suspect. But, it could also be coincidence.

One last-ditch thought: You mentioned Kontakt. I had some very strange crackling problems related to mouse movements in the track view (not console view, interestingly enough) that happened only in projects that had instances of Kontakt. After I updated Kontakt, the problem went away. Are you on the latest updates of the software that you're using in this particular project?

robert_e_bone
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 21:10:42 (permalink)
    If it still had the registration stuff, then there were pieces still left over.

If you would like to do a complete removal of Sonar X3, here is a link I just typed up yesterday for someone:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2914367

Bob Bone

Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 22:51:04 (permalink)
    Well, yeah, I did say that the only thing that changed was a new graphics card, but it might very well have been before or after that the problem started occurring. I just didn't take notice of it before a few days back, at first I erroneously attributed the problem to the hard drive my samples are on (confirmed to be unrelated). I mean, I have always had a nVidia driver installed. That's nothing new for my system. I even re-installed the one I had when I know for sure Sonar used to work fine. This, combined with knowing that the problem occurs even with the card sitting on my desk, to me is enough to rule out the possibility. Same with the mouse. Again the issue couldn't possibly have anything less to do with the mouse, which has always worked perfectly before and still does, since midi control does the same thing when the mouse isn't plugged in at all.

It's not related to Kontakt or any instrument. Stand-alone kontakt has no issues. It can be a raw sine wave from z3ta+, an audio track with 808 kicks in it, or anything at all as long as it has bass frequencies and it will click/pop and the fader will make noise, otherwise no. If I take my zeta sine, play a low note, then high-pass the bass, no fader noise. Sonar has just decided for me that I have too much bass in my projects, which sadly won't get me anywhere since I produce urban/dance music. I'd gladly switch for non-working high freqs if I could!

I'll re-install again tomorrow as per these instructions, see if it helps. Hopefully I'll be in contact with support by then as well.
    Anderton
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 22:57:38 (permalink)
    If you turn down the master fader far enough, does the problem go away? Does the issue relate to levels at all, or do you get the same effect regardless of where the master fader is set?

Spencer
    Re: Clicks and pops, and audible noise from track faders (x3e) 2014/04/21 23:00:53 (permalink)
    Yes, same problem irregardless of levels. Don't worry, I'm militant about clipping, nothing is ever in the red over here. So, no, it doesn't discriminate about levels. Speaking of which, the bus/master faders make noise as well. Not only the audio tracks.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1