Copy Protection Rumours

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
ustudio
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 19:04:46 (permalink)
1- I have invested a lot of money in Cakewalk products and upgrades since my ProAudio days. Cakewalk would make more money and be able to either lower the prices of upgrades or give us more upgrades, maintainence patches or products if there were not so many unregistered users.

Cakewalk make most of it money off of us, registered users, and there are alot of us to. Cakewalk upgrade has been alway resonable, and they alway come about the same time every year, Cakewalk is it own company therenot owned by anyone unlike the others, believe it or not get this they actually trust us, which is the main reason for not having dongle I think.
mikey
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 19:16:05 (permalink)
This is no hardware specific authorization. You register with your serial number by web, email or phone. In exchange you get a registration code. There is no hardware component, hardware ID, etc, involved in the process. In fact if you register with us already it's virtually the same procedure.

Isnt this the way you register Native Instruments products?
So Is there a number limit (certain number of times) to getting this reg code, before someone at Cake needs to reset your personal counter? And must you log in to the Sonar site with a designated user name and password in order to get to this registration code? Only asking because I hardly ever install something right the 1st time when its send-response coded...
ustudio
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 19:21:48 (permalink)
2- It would put an end to many of the people blaming Cakewalk for their crashes and system issues. Many people who use warez or cracked products have corrupt files or are missing files and that is why they have problems with their systems. If Sonar had a dongle or some other sort of protection this would be eliminated.

no offense computer geek here , I dont have to search for crack they find me, Im a registered user of cubase, but some times I install the cracked version instead of the real, I used both the real version and the crack and they both work the same. However with Sonar I used real version and it because they dont have dongle, cakewalk knows who I am, I been here a long time, I got alot of money invested here, I'd say a thousand bucks, give or take especally since I gonna get V5 too. Cubase I got 700 or so invested, but it aint even installed cause I dont like dongles. in other words I dont agree with you. 2 cents man, just 2 cents, peace!
confidence
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 19:33:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noah330

I am serious about wanting a more secure copy protection enviroment.

Here are a few reasons why a dongle would be a great idea:

1- I have invested a lot of money in Cakewalk products and upgrades since my ProAudio days. Cakewalk would make more money and be able to either lower the prices of upgrades or give us more upgrades, maintainence patches or products if there were not so many unregistered users.

There is absolutely no evidence for this assertion / guess / wishful thinking, and indeed it seems highly unlikely. You can't simply presume that all the people using cracks would buy the product if they couldn't get a crack. Most of them probably wouldn't - many people download cracks by the truckload that they hardly or never even use, just because they can. Those people are not going to fork out good money for the same program, just so they can play around with it for a few hour and then forget about it.

At the same time, most pro users (not all, sure, but most) need to be above board, have legal licenses for the sake of their clients, want access to tech support in an emergency etc. And they can write it off to tax, so MOST of them buy the prodect already.

So this leave one remaining sector - the "serious" home user. This is a sector Cakewalk traditionally has a strong hold over, and yes, many of these users will be using cracks. How many would buy the product if they couldn't get cracks? We can never really know - undoubtedly some, but there'd also probably be many that would opt for cheaper or free programs instead - tracktion etc. Once money's concerned, they're more likely to actually analyse and only buy what they really need.

Then even after all this, there are further factors that effect the economics of the issue:

- Many of Cakewalks CURRENT user base buy the products precisely BECAUSE there is no copy protection. (In case you hadn't noticed, you appear to be in a minority here :))Any economic analysis of the benefits of copy protection must also take into account how many of these customers would be LOST if it were adopted. At the moment Cakewalk has a unique position as the only major DAW manufacturer not to use CP. That's a "Unique Selling Point", which as any marketing man knows is not something to give up lightly.

- All CP schemes get cracked anyway. You can easily find cracks of Cubase, Nuendo, Logic etc. There are probably just as many people USING cracks of these programs as of Sonar.

- CP schemes are expensive to design, implement and keep up to date. It is a constant game of cat-and-mouse trying to stay one step ahead of the crackers, and that means paying for man-hours, of highly skilled, expensive programmers. Cakewalk are a small company, and their overheads as is are probably relatively low. Taking on a commitment like that would substantially increase their overheads, likely resulting in HIGHER prices, not lower.

After all, which cost more now, Cubase or Sonar? The feature set is roughly equivalent. No need to suggest on this board which is obviously the better product :)

- Finally, there's the old Microsoft in China argument: If they're going to be using cracks, we want them to be using cracks of OUR software, not the competitions! Because every home user who uses, learns, and grows to love their crack of Sonar, is a potential aspiring pro who may buy it one day. This may seem like a contrived kind of benefit to Cakewalk, but it's more benefit than the guy who uses a crack of Cubase or Logic.

So really, the economic issues are far more complicated than you make out, and many of them actually favour NOT using CP. No-one can say for sure which is right, and it depends as much as anything on the particular positioning of the company in the market, how they see their future and growth, how they can differentiate themselves and so on. I'm sure Cakewalk have thought long and hard about this, and they've come to the conclusion that they are better off without CP. I for one am really glad about this, and it appears I'm not alone.
calaverasgrandes
  • Total Posts : 1454
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 19:56:00 (permalink)
well not all of us can afford PT, Cubase AND Sonar. I think most of us only have enough loot to support one DAW platform. What with the everexpanding circle of possible purchases for our home studios. As for WAR3Z and cracked copies, I think this is more of an issue with plugins. I recently made out studio "crack free" just to stop having to do so many maintenance calls. Now I am the only one that can install and everything is paid for. Heck, how many reverbs do you need?!
But on the other hand, we shouldnt be punished for the minority that abuses the demo copies.
cornieleous
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 20:18:08 (permalink)
I use Sonar and Pyro5 on my studio computer. It never touches the internet - never. Pyro seems to use a similar protection scheme to that being described for this new version of Sonar.

Pyro runs fine
****BUT****
every blasted time I start it, I get a message "the web page you requested is not available offline" -- ITS TRYING TO DO SOMETHING ON THE BLASTED INTERNET WITHOUT MY WANTING IT TO.

If Sonar5 does this I'm gonna be VERY upset.
-lee-

This behavior from Pyro might be the CDDB?

I sincerely doubt the software is meant to do that every time, and I can guarantee Sonar 5 will not - how many studios connect their computers to the internet? You should check the settings of the application, or ask tech support about it.

D.
post edited by cornieleous - 2005/09/09 20:25:20
Nate
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 726
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 20:46:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noah330
I wish we would get a Dongle.

iLok and dongle based protection have done very little beyond frustrating paying customers during re-installs.
axe
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 733
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 21:55:07 (permalink)
Add a crazy copy protection schema and Sonar 4 would be the last version on Cakewalk software that ever gets installed on my computer. Which would really not be a bad thing as it works just fine for me, 4.0.3 patch and all :)

I will not even look at products with built in virus's like PACE and other schemas. It should be illegal to bundle a virus with your product.

AXE
Paul G
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 21:57:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CAW

I own and use a program called Chief Architect. It has a dongle. When it arrived, the dongle was not in the box, so I had to wait for one to arrive before I could use the program. Now that I have it, the good thing is I can use the unit on any machine I want one at a time with my dongle. The bad thing is I am constantly stressing out over losing my $2,600 dongle. It's like it is a bee sting kit and I am highly allergic. There is no just setting it down without thinking "Am I ever gonna see it again". I hate that aspect of the dongle system. Anyway, locks are for honest people and Cakewalk knows that. As said above, there is no secure copy protection system, just expensive attempts at same. Thieves will get your stuff if they want it. Don't hassle your loyal users trying to prevent that or you'll ruin sales to honest folks and impact your bottom line.

A Chief user ehh? Been there, done that. Time to come back to Autocad.

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
Cakewalk by Bandlab
Paul Robert Glaser
The Brothers Glaser
SoundClick
LaptopPop
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 853
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 22:57:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cornieleous

I use Sonar and Pyro5 on my studio computer. It never touches the internet - never. Pyro seems to use a similar protection scheme to that being described for this new version of Sonar.

Pyro runs fine
****BUT****
every blasted time I start it, I get a message "the web page you requested is not available offline" -- ITS TRYING TO DO SOMETHING ON THE BLASTED INTERNET WITHOUT MY WANTING IT TO.

If Sonar5 does this I'm gonna be VERY upset.
-lee-

This behavior from Pyro might be the CDDB?

I sincerely doubt the software is meant to do that every time, and I can guarantee Sonar 5 will not - how many studios connect their computers to the internet? You should check the settings of the application, or ask tech support about it.

D.

I wish it was -- but it appears from installing it on a different computer to test that it only does it until it successfully connects once - to something, I don't know what. I *HATE* software "calling home" without telling me/getting my permission! (I also hate piracy, BTW)
-lee-
tombuur
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 611
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/10 04:36:02 (permalink)
I feel exactly like CAW about losing the dongle. The only good thing about it is that you can legally sell your software and let someone else take over support, updates etc.

As to cracking. Cubase SX3 has been very hard to crack, and some still believe it hasn't been done successfully yet. Then again this very copy protection is blamed for a lot of problems with SX3 for legal users too.
eikelbijter
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1002
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/10 04:50:28 (permalink)
I've bought every version of the top of the line package since Pro Audio 9. I've been an advocate for Sonar and the PC platform in L.A. for quite a few years now. If Sonar gets a dongle, or even call and response 'authentication', basically anything more than a serial number, I PROMISE YOU, I will not buy another version until they remove that.

Rico

Xeon E3-1231V3, 16GB RAM, 480GB 840EVO SSD, MOTU 2480MK3, 424PCI w/ Sonar Platinum
Dell XPS 18, i5, 12GB RAM, 500GB SSD+128GB SSD, Roland VS-100 w/ Sonar Platinum

Dell XPS 13, i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB 840EVO SSD, Zoom UAC-2, Sonar Platinum

http://www.RicoBelled.com/

xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/10 05:25:59 (permalink)
Same here. As far as I am concerned, dongle = no sale. I have no dongle based stuff and very little C/R based stuff either. I think Cakewalk are smart enough to know that adding a dongle to any of their software would lose them a lot of customers immediately and would not gain them any...so why would they bother?
soundrage
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 144
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/10 10:14:16 (permalink)
Cakewalk's policy on this was an important reason I bought it. I have dealt with copy protection for years in the EDA (CAD) world and I have absolutley NO desire to deal with it in recording.
Jake68
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 11:00:15 (permalink)
You DONT WANT A DONGLE.

Period.

Dongles do not stop the software from being cracked or pirated. They merely hold them off for a short time. People who are using cracked software carry on using the cracked older version whilst waiting for the newers ones to be cracked, they dont guy out and buy the stuff because they dont have to for a handful of features that they know that they are going to get anyway.

A dongle required a hardware device, pluged into a hardware interface plugged into your motherboard. So you have a whole chain of possible problems. The code written into the software itself introduces bugs and slows down the rate at which the system will access certain features. Like performing an edit will result in a dongle call that returns an authorization before the command is completed. As a registered Steinberg user I can honestly say that the software is "bloated" with anti piracy measures that have no lasting effect on the prosperity of the company at all.

The way to acheive a low degree of piracy is to develop well appointed well tested software, treat your users fairly, keep prices as low as possible and offer a high degree of support to registered users.

If you are asking for a dongle you are asking for a whole can of worms to open up that you may think you want, but you dont. It doesnt foil piracy all it does is piss off registered users and offer something to keep the crackers going on a Saturday night!
S_A_P
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 12:14:59 (permalink)
boo dongles- worst idea evar...
b3gsus@msn.com
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1293
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 14:42:18 (permalink)
NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WILDMAN
And then we could all punch you in the head.

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
2-Mackie 24/8buss
Scott Reams
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1918
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 15:16:09 (permalink)
I'm sure that this has been talked out in this thread, but I had to chime in...

Cakewalk would very likely -lose- money with this approach. It costs money to develop and support a dongle system (or to license it from someone like PACE). Dongle-protected software always ends up cracked (usually via dongle emulators). Many potential customers avoid software that involves a dongle.

2- It would put an end to many of the people blaming Cakewalk for their crashes and system issues. Many people who use warez or cracked products have corrupt files or are missing files and that is why they have problems with their systems. If Sonar had a dongle or some other sort of protection this would be eliminated.

Not even close. Currently, Sonar has no copy protection. There are no special "warez" versions out there. People running illegal copies are running the exact same thing the registered owners are running. With a dongle system... the illegal copies -would- involve cracks or dongle emulation, and so would be far more likely to have problems.

Bottom line... Cakewalk spends more money to support a dongle. Cakewalk loses customers who despise invasive copy protection. And illegal copies are just as prevalent as before.

-S
Gordon
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 15:41:28 (permalink)
My 2 cents.

C/R OK maybe. But if Cakewalk implements dongle CP, then I will be forced not to upgrade. DONGLE=NO SALE!

Gordon
post edited by Gordon - 2005/09/13 22:01:38
vksf01
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 15:49:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Gordon

My 2 cents.

C/R OK maybe. But if Cakewalk implements dongle CP, then I will be forced not to upgrade. NO DONGLE=NO SALE!

Gordon

shouldn't that be DONGLE=NO SALE?
Master Chief [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1053
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 16:58:43 (permalink)
SONAR 5 will not have copy protection. It will, however, require you to register by phone, email or web. (No web connection required, however.) If you already register your software with us the procedure hasn't changed.
Gordon
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 21:56:47 (permalink)
shouldn't that be DONGLE=NO SALE?

Right. I was getting too steamed up.

Thanks Ron for the heads u.
Stringrazor1
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 579
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/13 23:55:06 (permalink)
No dongle, simple serial # registration w/no H/W binding? Cool.
disgruntled
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 02:45:47 (permalink)
Inconvenient copy protection is the reason I chose not to purchase the latest version of Adobe Photoshop. To hell with them. They want me to pay hundreds of dollars and jump through hurdles to use their software? My 6 year old copy serves me just fine. I'll continue to use that.

As far as software piracy goes, is there anyone who has never pirated software? As one poster mentioned, many software pirates are future customers. I learned computer programming on pirated software--when I was in college and flat broke. Now Microsoft has made thousands of dollars off of me because I use their programming tools because it is what I learned on--a pirated copy, no less. Had I not got that pirated copy, I would have learned on something else.

Software pirates use what they use because they can get it for free. They are NOT going to purchase it. If they can't get it for free, they won't buy it--they'll just not use it or use something else. You can't lose a sale you never had a chance to get in the first place.

One reason, I think, that people pirate software is because of the asymetrical legal copyrights. If you buy a piece of software and it sucks, what are your options? Generally, you can't get a refund. All you can do is exchange your CD for another one. Which doesn't solve the problem that the software is crappy. So the consumer is stuck--and out money. Try before you buy helps. But not all software companies offer that.

Good software is worth paying for. Really good software is worth every penny, and then some.
rgoldie
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 13:30:23 (permalink)
jeez. i wish i hadn't started this thread now! so heated!!!
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 16:37:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rgoldie

jeez. i wish i hadn't started this thread now! so heated!!!

Yes, but Cakewalk got a free virtual focus group from hell on on the subject.

Thank you, Cakewalk, for making a wise decision, which I believe will benefit all parties concerned. Now I can continue to use Sonar in peace and freedom.

Ron, if a group of us were to found a religion around Cakewalk would we have to pay a royalty fee?
Boogie
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2106
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 17:55:26 (permalink)
Cakewalk would make more money and be able to either lower the prices of upgrades or give us more upgrades, maintainence patches or products if there were not so many unregistered users.

Not so. I think they would lose many more of their current customers than they would gain, myself included. Hardware copy protection does not prevent the software from being used illegally, it just creates more hassle for legitimate users. I'd wager that most people using cracked Sonar are people who would not shell out $600 for it anyway if they were unable to get an illegal copy.

post edited by Boogie - 2005/09/14 18:44:32

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 18:08:37 (permalink)
Ron, if a group of us were to found a religion around Cakewalk would we have to pay a royalty fee?

we'll if we were treated like royalty, perhaps it would be worth it.

but like many religions, a loyalty fee is more likely..

actually, i wouldn't mind a dongle .. i said it before .. as long as they're good about
responding quickly and appropriately when problems occur. with waves, i broke my
dongle and they were really really good about keeping me up and running until
i got a replacement.

i think the steinberg problem is their support network isn't/wasn't setup to handle
the additional burden associated with dongle problems. i believe that software
companies have a right to protect their intellectual property from theft and if
someday Cakewalk decides that there's too much theft of their work, then
i would understand their decision ... and there are a lot of people using
Sonar that shouldn't be .. i see it all the time .. and i won't work
with them .. period.

and what's the big deal anyway? ... you're only licensed to use it on one computer
at a time ... so .. is it just 'cause it tweaks your perceived sense
of freedom ("i could break the licensing agreement .. any time i want ?")
because the dongle isn't really that inconvenient (as least not to me it's
not).

plus, dongles are mandatory fashion accessories in many studios ... the more
you wear (red, blue, etc.) the higher you rank ... when you have enough
colors .. you eventually become white and ascend into a higher plane
of existence. [ edit -- this is the additive properties of color .. not that white
is any better ... just being overly sensitive here ]

jeff

post edited by jmarkham - 2005/09/14 19:09:27
Boogie
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2106
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 18:37:46 (permalink)
post deleted ...

post edited by Boogie - 2005/09/14 18:53:09

glazfolk
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5253
RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/14 18:47:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jmarkham

actually, i wouldn't mind a dongle .. i said it before .. as long as they're good about
responding quickly and appropriately when problems occur.

jeff -

I wonder if you might be focussing on form rather than substance here, if you see what I mean. Reading between the lines, I suspect it isn't a dingle per se that you want, but a rigorous system of copy protection. As has been shown to be the case with Steinberg, dongles just don't give you that - I could get hold of cracked copies of the latest versions of Nuendo and Cubase in 48 hours if I wanted to.

.. as long as they're good about responding quickly and appropriately when problems occur.

Which they wouldn't be. If you had any idea about the difficulties that Cakewalk customers outside the USA have to endure now, you wouldn't even make that point. Emails to the official Cake distributor in Australai - the only point of contact we have - go unanswered. Phone calls inavariably end "We'll get back to you." and they never do. I wouldn't care to guess what a drama it would be for us to have ot replace a lost or broken or malfunctioning dongle.

"Sorry, Mr Client, I'll have to cancel your recording session tomorrow because my dongle is defective. What's that? When can I reschedule? No idea. I'll have to wait until Edirol get back to me. Maybe next week, maybe next month."

No, sorry, the day that Cake introduce dongles definitely will be the day I'm out of here.

Best,
Geoff
post edited by glazfolk - 2005/09/14 18:54:29
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1