Copy Protection Rumours

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
rgoldie
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 95
2005/09/09 06:36:23 (permalink)

Copy Protection Rumours

Ok, not wanting to put the cat among the pigeons but I hope to god that S5 isn't going to dongle based or online activation. I like the serial number idea as it's easy to use and if things go belly up and you have to re-install you don't have to go online to activate (something not always possible if like me you are away from a net connection).

Please please please no dongle!!! It didnt help Steinborg at all.

Cheers

67 Replies Related Threads

daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 06:54:39 (permalink)
    it comes with a retina scanner - you can buy one for £500. ;)

I think we can safely say sonar will never have a dongle - they make no sense whatsoever.

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    JazzSinger
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 895
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 07:06:46 (permalink)
    Aargh!

Quick, delete this thread before someone from CW sees it! :)
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 07:16:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rgoldie

Ok, not wanting to put the cat among the pigeons but I hope to god that S5 isn't going to dongle based or online activation. I like the serial number idea as it's easy to use and if things go belly up and you have to re-install you don't have to go online to activate (something not always possible if like me you are away from a net connection).

Please please please no dongle!!! It didnt help Steinborg at all.

Cheers

Looks like no dongle at least - this from the Cakewalk web site:

Upgrades and purchases made directly through Cakewalk will be auto-registered using your purchase information. A serial number and registration code will be emailed to you. Please make sure the data you enter at the time of purchase is accurate. In addition, please double check that you entered a valid email address to ensure receipt of your serial number and registration code.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    rgoldie
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 09:24:26 (permalink)
    a retina scanner... now even though that would be a pain in the arse, how cool would that be? Or even using it as a controller..... sorry...
    kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 10:00:59 (permalink)
    rgoldie, I think you're confused about what part of the body the retina is on :-)
    bobleft
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 253
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 12:16:55 (permalink)
    This certainly sounds like an on-line activation.
    Noah330
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 587
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 12:49:28 (permalink)
    I wish we would get a Dongle.

If Cakewalk went wth iLok everyone who wants it would have to buy it and there would be no more warez users complaining about how SOnar sucks when they downloaded a version off Kazza that is missing 1/4 of the source code and full of spyware.
    ndeboy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 12:54:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Noah330

If Cakewalk went wth iLok everyone who wants it would have to buy it and there would be no more warez users complaining about how SOnar sucks when they downloaded a version off Kazza that is missing 1/4 of the source code and full of spyware.

And then we could all punch you in the head.
    (If you aren't being sarcastic.)
    MKS
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 12:56:15 (permalink)
    Will S5 allow installation on two computers that are not used at the same time??

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    dbmusic
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1150
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 13:00:23 (permalink)
    quote:

I'll be in that line!
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 13:10:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dbmusic

quote:

I'll be in that line!

Me three!
    post edited by Phoenix - 2005/09/09 13:18:18
    tombuur
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 13:13:23 (permalink)
    I probably won't upgrade this time. Don't see much of value to me in the announced new features. And if hardware specific authorization is coming, this will be the major reason for not upgrading for me. I already have a Cubase dongle and hate it, but if Cakewalk starts using copy protection then the one advantage of Sonar I treasure the most is lost.
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 13:33:03 (permalink)
    We now have to provide a finger print on an enclosed finger print sensitive pad that authorises you and only you to start up Sonar.....

Have this with Bloomberg

Just don't pick your nose before logging in !

Yes.
    guitarmikeh
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 13:36:47 (permalink)
    Just don't pick your nose before logging in !

good one...LOL

you could get empentago

I harbor no ill will towards any man.
    Master Chief [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1053
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 13:56:29 (permalink)
    And if hardware specific authorization is coming, this will be the major reason for not upgrading for me.
    This is no hardware specific authorization. You register with your serial number by web, email or phone. In exchange you get a registration code. There is no hardware component, hardware ID, etc, involved in the process. In fact if you register with us already it's virtually the same procedure.
    Noah330
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 587
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 14:20:57 (permalink)
    I am serious about wanting a more secure copy protection enviroment.

Here are a few reasons why a dongle would be a great idea:

1- I have invested a lot of money in Cakewalk products and upgrades since my ProAudio days. Cakewalk would make more money and be able to either lower the prices of upgrades or give us more upgrades, maintainence patches or products if there were not so many unregistered users.

2- It would put an end to many of the people blaming Cakewalk for their crashes and system issues. Many people who use warez or cracked products have corrupt files or are missing files and that is why they have problems with their systems. If Sonar had a dongle or some other sort of protection this would be eliminated.

I have a PT and a Nuendo system and have dongles for each. It's not a big deal.
    7string
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 14:22:19 (permalink)
    The registration code seems like it should work pretty good. I hate the MS online authorization. My Sonar machine has never seen the internet.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 14:35:39 (permalink)

1- I have invested a lot of money in Cakewalk products and upgrades since my ProAudio days. Cakewalk would make more money and be able to either lower the prices of upgrades or give us more upgrades, maintainence patches or products if there were not so many unregistered users.

2- It would put an end to many of the people blaming Cakewalk for their crashes and system issues. Many people who use warez or cracked products have corrupt files or are missing files and that is why they have problems with their systems. If Sonar had a dongle or some other sort of protection this would be eliminated.

NOah.
    No (dongles) means No!

-ah.

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    sandman5000
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 14:52:23 (permalink)

dude?! are you freaking nuts? You prefer a dongel because you are worried about crack heads complaining? Are you aware that many of the steinbugs are a direct result of the programs checking for the dongel several times a minute?

I bet you'd also welcome a video monitoring device in your home connected straight to dick channey's office.

Besides, cakewalk is the #1 selling sequencer software for pc. Done with no dongels.

NO DONGELS EVER!
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 15:00:13 (permalink)

Oh boy ... How much of the price you paid for PT or Nuendo do you think went to the copy protection developement costs? And guess what, they are both completely and thoroughly cracked. There are totaly stable and complete versions of those pieces of software available from P2P networks. (With Nuendo and Cubase SX3 they just emulated the whole dongle ...)

Let me state this cleary: THERE IS NO SECURE COPY PROTECTION SYSTEM IN EXISTANCE. They all get cracked sooner or later. Usualy sooner. There are even cracks of stuff that runs on the Powercore, UAD-1, Digidesign TDM systems ... It often takes crackers less time to crack a copy protection scheme than it takes the marketing department of a copy protection company to write-up about their last oh-so-secure waste of time. ;)

I think CakeWalk have the right policy so far: Make their products available for reasonable prices. Support their userbase (for instance this forum). Be honest. Listen to their customer base.

Keep it up CakeWalk! :)

UnderTow

quibb
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 15:21:06 (permalink)
    I remember Scott Reams telling how he would send WAVES the address of the warez site that would have the cracked copy of their software the day after it was released. It was to point out the absurdity of PACE, but all the same implications apply to dongles as well. Be careful what you wish for.

Vernon
    Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 16:58:05 (permalink)

I too have invested a lot of time and money, in Cakewalk software, over the years. Since 1998, I have calculated that I have spent nearly $2000 dollars, on Cakewalk apps, plugins and loop CD's. But, I don't believe that changing their copy protection to dongles would cause Cakewalk to lower prices, increase profits and lower the use of cracks. It would have just the opposite effect. Cakewalk would have to increase prices to cover the extra costs of dongle copy protection. That would hit their bottom line and our back pockets. What do we get in return, a CP system that is inconvenient, costly and simply does not work. There is no such thing as a secure copy protection environment.
    All CP schemes get cracked sooner or later. PACE (Antares), Syncrosoft (Nuendo 3/SX 3), iLok (URS plugins), they all have been cracked. I think Cakewalk's current system for SONAR 5 (serial number/authorization scheme), strikes a good balance between protecting it's software and accomodating it's registered user base.

Well, honestly I could care less that people using cracks/warez are having problems. You get what you pay or don't pay for.

Well, I would feel a little ticked off having to financially support and put up with a failed CP system that simply does not work. How do you think I was able to demo and I use that word loosely, Nuendo 3.02 (build 623), on my home studio DAW. Yup, that secure syncrosoft dongle did a whole lot of good.

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

LaptopPop
    • Total Posts : 853
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 17:09:45 (permalink)
    I use Sonar and Pyro5 on my studio computer. It never touches the internet - never. Pyro seems to use a similar protection scheme to that being described for this new version of Sonar.

Pyro runs fine
    ****BUT****
    every blasted time I start it, I get a message "the web page you requested is not available offline" -- ITS TRYING TO DO SOMETHING ON THE BLASTED INTERNET WITHOUT MY WANTING IT TO.

If Sonar5 does this I'm gonna be VERY upset.
    -lee-
    Paul G
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 17:10:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ron Kuper [Cakewalk]

And if hardware specific authorization is coming, this will be the major reason for not upgrading for me.
    This is no hardware specific authorization. You register with your serial number by web, email or phone. In exchange you get a registration code. There is no hardware component, hardware ID, etc, involved in the process. In fact if you register with us already it's virtually the same procedure.

Thanks Ron!

I knew That.

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
    1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Elvenking
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 18:16:16 (permalink)
    Actually...a dongle has never stopped anything from being warez'd. But on the brighter side...90 percent of the people using cracked copies would never have paid in the first place. They either have it...or they don't but they sure aren't paying for it either way. Those who will actually use the software to produce something do pay for it. At least in most cases.

post edited by Elvenking - 2005/09/09 18:28:55
    rgoldie
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 18:24:25 (permalink)
    Exactly, the whole syncrosoft/cubase fiasco turned out be just an exercise in protection circumvention, the warez group that done it admitted to the fact. A lot of info came out about how Cubase was accessing the dongle every few seconds which may or may not have been adding to the CPU overheads. Of course how much of this is actually true is unknown. Steinborg denied it wholeheartedly. What I do have issues with is the amount of software that is beginning to use iLoks, dongles etc. You end up buying the software, having to buy an iLok and then buying a USB hub and then you have no where to plug your mouse in! And yes I am exagerating slightly before anyone pipes in...
    almeister
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 18:42:17 (permalink)
    I haven't seen that dongles do much good at all. I use software at work (cost around $15,000 ....I'm a prototype machinist using software to program CNC mill) that runs off a dongle. Every time they come out with a new upgrade they give you an update code for the dongle. Well, usually with in the first week of release, it's been cracked. The latest release came out a month ago and last week, on a forum, someone posted a link to some joker selling it on Ebay. Yup......dongles work REAL well.

I think the way CW does it is fine. To get support, updates, patches, you need to register. Plain and simple. I guess the crackheads like using buggy software with no possible way of debugging and the possiblity of down loading viruses and adware.
    CAW
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 337
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 18:47:24 (permalink)
    I own and use a program called Chief Architect. It has a dongle. When it arrived, the dongle was not in the box, so I had to wait for one to arrive before I could use the program. Now that I have it, the good thing is I can use the unit on any machine I want one at a time with my dongle. The bad thing is I am constantly stressing out over losing my $2,600 dongle. It's like it is a bee sting kit and I am highly allergic. There is no just setting it down without thinking "Am I ever gonna see it again". I hate that aspect of the dongle system. Anyway, locks are for honest people and Cakewalk knows that. As said above, there is no secure copy protection system, just expensive attempts at same. Thieves will get your stuff if they want it. Don't hassle your loyal users trying to prevent that or you'll ruin sales to honest folks and impact your bottom line.

Great things happen in a vacuum.

http://www.coronaampworks.com
    Featherlight
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Copy Protection Rumours 2005/09/09 19:03:27 (permalink)
    I have no problem with Sonar's authorization as long as the registration code they return is good for that serial from then on like the boxed versions of Sonic Foundry products. Those of us who update their hardware configs about as often as new Sonar Versions update will have a better chance of getting a working config before their "allotted registrations" run out.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1