Helpful ReplyCore Parking

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/19 13:18:30 (permalink)
It is optimised for DAW performance.

Sure, I do other stuff with it though.

It was concieved as a collaboration between myself and a successful PC builder to add to his range of PC's and was designed for maximum Audio performance on a low budget.

We were not aiming for cutting edge producers more for the enthusiast on a budget (someone just like me and many others here), hence going with the H67 to use the 3000 graphics on the 2600 chip, we succeded.  He was retailing those boxes a year ago to the same spec for £500 and they were trumping £1200 offerings from other manufacturers.

So it was built to a specification, and fits that specification perfectly.  I'm always a long way off maxing it out.  Sure you can spend more money for a bit more performance if you need it but what's the point just for the sake of it?

Get something that exactly fits your particular needs and get the most out of it, or get into some kind of competition where you get the latest and greatest at a premium price so you can brag on a forum about theoretical figures.  It's a free choice.

Does that answer your transparently obvious question?  Dedicated for DAW only....LOL!  I need a working tool not a shrine matey...

Add to that, you've also got a dedicated builder, a top end dedicated DAW builder too, here telling you as well you don't need to piddle about with all that 'Core Parking' garbage anymore and still you are trying to convince everyone you've got it right.

Post the figures to prove it.  It's easy enough to do.  Rather it would be if there was any discernable improvement.

Take that stupid AISuite off too, it has two buggy drivers that are known performance killlers and runs background tasks that serve no useful purpose.  It diminishes Audio performance far more than 'Core Parking' does.  If you need to watch guages and thermometers displaying numbers then get something that only runs when you double click it to do the job...
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/19 13:37:13

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Alegria
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2075
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/20 14:20:22 (permalink)
"Jonbouy"
It is optimised for DAW performance.

Sure, I do other stuff with it though.

It was concieved as a collaboration between myself and a successful PC builder to add to his range of PC's and was designed for maximum Audio performance on a low budget.

We were not aiming for cutting edge producers more for the enthusiast on a budget (someone just like me and many others here) ...

<sarcasm free zone>Now that's pretty darn cool to involve yourself in such a project. A win-win for all involved, and I'm sure you and your PC builder made many musicians day so to speak by giving them access to a "high-end like" DAW at a amazing price.</sarcasm free zone>

"Jonbouy"
Get something that exactly fits your particular needs and get the most out of it, or get into some kind of competition where you get the latest and greatest at a premium price so you can brag on a forum about theoretical figures. It's a free choice.

Of course, that's the goal, although I fail to grasp the pertinence of the 2nd part of your 1st sentence. Is there a message in there for someone in particular?

"Jonbouy"
Does that answer your transparently obvious question? Dedicated for DAW only....LOL! I need a working tool not a shrine matey...

The fact that I'm demanding of the tools I chose to work with has nothing to do with religion, shrines and rhymes. The fact that you also use your machine for non-audio related tasks, makes it much more difficult/unwise/impossible for you to optimize/streamline/tweak your machine as I would mine. The fact that you overclock your machine, albeit reasonably, makes it unwise for you to turn off core parking. It's all about choice, I completely agree. And these facts don't make you or me bigger/longer/holier than the other, matey. We obviously have different needs and budget to meet those needs.

"Jonbouy"
Add to that, you've also got a dedicated builder, a top end dedicated DAW builder too, here telling you as well you don't need to piddle about with all that 'Core Parking' garbage anymore and still you are trying to convince everyone you've got it right.

Well, I've noticed Scott mention this for the first time in this thread and as a reply to the OP, not me. I don't agree btw. And I don't recall Jim mentioning anything at all to that effect. Who's trying to convince who again? You are the only one that erroneously perceives my opinion as trying to convince everyone. And who's everyone. That's a pretty broad statement, don't you think? The bottom line here is clear to me and since you're so..., liberal about the "everyone" card, let me have a go at it also.

Treating everyone that ain't you or a pro DAW builder as ignorant fools that don't know any better..., doesn't make it so. Just as you have achieved your goals within your budget and specifications (which you have so proudly elaborated for everyone's benefit), so have I. And I'm talking about the "holy grail". Something I haven't seen you mention at all. DPC latency. And it's not so much the fact that I've achieved border line single digit numbers in a Win 7 environment (I could easily live with higher numbers), it's the fact that it's a flat line no matter how long the utility is used for. Completely spikeless. And that's what has allowed me to enjoy EastWest's QL Pianos for example in a stable, solid and reliable environment, consistently day in and day out. And disabling core parking was "a component" of the process that helped me achieve this. I'm just as proud about it as you are about yours. Scott and/or Jim is more than welcome to elaborate on the futility of disabling core parking in a dedicated DAW context. I'm all ears..., and good luck in trying to convince me otherwise.

"Jonbouy"
Take that stupid AISuite off too, it has two buggy drivers that are known performance killlers and runs background tasks that serve no useful purpose. It diminishes Audio performance far more than 'Core Parking' does. If you need to watch guages and thermometers displaying numbers then get something that only runs when you double click it to do the job...

Now now Jon, you're assuming again and being a poor sport (grown men don't act this way). And a Freudian slip to boot. Priceless!
jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/20 14:27:24 (permalink)
""Well, I've noticed Scott mention this for the first time in this thread and as a reply to the OP, not me. I don't agree btw. And I don't recall Jim mentioning anything at all to that effect. """

you dont agree really? are you on an X58 or beyond.. X58 see this thead.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/465221-c1e-c3-c6-eist-speedstep-turbo-boost-core-parking.html

if you are on 1155 or 2011 then forget every bit of it..

UMM yes Jim most certainly said the same..

and i would echo the request post the benchmarks.... as i can prove it..

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/20 14:40:07 (permalink)

"jcschild"
Core parking: since this so far only seems a potential (not definitive) issue for Sonar i wont say much. (its also only for Sonar) its Hyper-threading way of doing C1E if there are not enough threads
required it will "park" shut down the HT cores to a ready but not active state. (Win 7 only). Core parking is supposed to be an efficient way of data caching with concern to HT as well. With Core parking enabled it can cause threading issues in Sonar.

All of this power management is supposed to be about "Green" frankly if i want to save energy i will lower my heat and put a sweater on.
 for DAWs ideally you would turn all of this off and have 100% access to full power at all times. leaving it on can cause issues particularly low latency power users.

Seems to me like we do agree about the benefits of disabling core parking, especially in a dedicated DAW context. Thanks Scott! 
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/20 17:35:45 (permalink)

He said 1155 or 2011 then foget every bit of that.

Shall I post an old quote where you are using AISuite to update the BIOS as well then Alegria?  I assume nothing!

You really are beyond belief, after several tests I've finally decided.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/20 17:40:08

jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/20 17:40:58 (permalink)
Hey Jon,
are you sure he is using asus ai suite? as much as a PITA he can be i think he is far smarter than that?

Ai suite= not too bright...

Scott
ADK
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/20 17:48:47 (permalink)
jcschild

Hey Jon,
are you sure he is using asus ai suite? as much as a PITA he can be i think he is far smarter than that?

Ai suite= not too bright...

He certainly was at one point.  He may deny it now though, he said I was assuming that just now but he actually posted about it...

Careful with that 'smart' word btw, especially if you combine it with 'alec', it's been known to cause weeping before...
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/20 17:50:20

Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 12:49:46 (permalink)
"Jonbouy"
He may deny it now though, he said I was assuming that just now but he actually posted about it.

There's no need for me to revisit this as all my posts are public and usually non-edited (contrary to yours). We've had this conversation before and a quick search would put your misleading comments about the Asus AI suite to rest. Next...

And I would appreciate a reply to my post #32, if you will. Oh, and the topic was/is about core parking. Remember? 

"Jonbouy"
He said 1155 or 2011 then foget every bit of that.

I know what he said and simply followed the link he provided. If there was a particular post of his he wanted to emphasize, then linking to said post is a simple affair and the least he can do. I have better things to do then to go through 6 pages of back and forth confrontational opinions about C-States. Have you noticed that about Scott? Confrontation and confusion seems to follow him around quite a bit. And that's an observation, no more no less.

@ Scott
Quid Pro Quo dude. 

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:18:52 (permalink)

all my posts are public and usually non-edited (contrary to yours).

Are you inferring something other than I have fat fingers?

btw Core Parking is no longer needed or desired.  Just so you know so you can change your stance on it just like you did when I pointed out to you that AISuite was a pile of poop.

To be fair you usually get there in the end.

Alegria

And I would appreciate a reply to my post #32, if you will. Oh, and the topic was/is about core parking. Remember? 

You asked a question in that post?

Ah yes I found it I think.

Alegria

"Jonbouy"

Get something that exactly fits your particular needs and get the most out of it, or get into some kind of competition where you get the latest and greatest at a premium price so you can brag on a forum about theoretical figures. It's a free choice.

Of course, that's the goal, although I fail to grasp the pertinence of the 2nd part of your 1st sentence. Is there a message in there for someone in particular?

Yes, Alegria that would be you then.

Alegria

Something I haven't seen you mention at all. DPC latency. And it's not so much the fact that I've achieved border line single digit numbers in a Win 7 environment (I could easily live with higher numbers), it's the fact that it's a flat line no matter how long the utility is used for.

Sorry, I must dash I gotta go and impress my GF with my DPC latency figures...oh my.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/21 14:37:19

jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:34:07 (permalink)
Alegria

I know what he said and simply followed the link he provided. If there was a particular post of his he wanted to emphasize, then linking to said post is a simple affair and the least he can do. I have better things to do then to go through 6 pages of back and forth confrontational opinions about C-States. Have you noticed that about Scott? Confrontation and confusion seems to follow him around quite a bit. And that's an observation, no more no less.

the very first post was all you had to read. the point to it is very simple.

IF you are not on X58 or 1156 socket

then all of that stuff that once needed to be done (and FYI core parking was specific to Sonar only and was pretty useless, rarely fixing anything)
is no longer needing to be done..

there is much tweaking to still do yes in win7 as few items in bios (far far less than XP ) but C states/core parking etc or disabling anything that stops full power use including hyperthreading
is well STUPID

i fail to see the confusion of that statement or for that matter any of my statements.. feel free to enlighten me so i can set you stright..

do you even know what Quid pro quo means.. rather out of context here..

Scott
ADK
jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:36:00 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

For maximum DAW performance:
We don't want the OS/hardware having the ability to "throttle down" speed/performance to save energy.
We don't want the PC "tied up" managing non-essential tasks.

Depending on circumstances, you may "get by" without any tweaks.
For absolute maximum performance (especially when running heavy loads at ultra-low latency settings), tweaks are necessary.

quoted for algeria benefit..

Scott
ADK
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:41:33 (permalink)
jcschild

quoted for algeria benefit..

I'm waiting for him to post the performance benefit he get in figures....

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:48:13 (permalink)
Alegria

"Jonbouy"
 I have better things to do then to go through 6 pages of back and forth confrontational opinions about C-States. Have you noticed that about Scott? Confrontation and confusion seems to follow him around quite a bit. And that's an observation, no more no less.

No actually the reverse is true Alegria, I've found Scott's opinions are mostly backed up with sound factual data.  I get more confused by your confrontational style when you make blanket statements that can't be backed up and you start to act like a smart alec.  That was the observation, no more no less, I made about you a few weeks back when you got all hurt and affronted by it and started crying breach of TOS statements.

Some of your inferences that you've made here and elsewhere are purely confrontational however you might like to think you've cleverly veiled them.  If I think something I'll tell ya!

post edited by Jonbouy - 2012/08/21 14:52:08

jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:55:57 (permalink)
so there is no confusion..
i must speak engrish and type chineese or something.

for socket 2011 and 1155
in the bios (for those who would be confused)

Hpet OFF..   (there is my bonus tip for the week)

all cstates ON, turning any of these off stops turbo mode.. never mind OCing..
hyper threading on..

anything else is again STUPID..

oh wait there muight be some confusion so i guess i better be completely clear..

this does not count other bios tweaks just those concerning cstates
ram timing etc is a completely differnt discussion..

post edited by jcschild - 2012/08/21 14:57:20

Scott
ADK
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 14:57:57 (permalink)

Alegria has a MemOK button and he knows how to press it...

jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 15:01:11 (permalink)

Scott
ADK
Freddie H
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 15:45:37 (permalink)
jcschild

so there is no confusion..
i must speak engrish and type chineese or something.

for socket 2011 and 1155

all cstates ON, turning any of these off stops turbo mode.. never mind OCing..
hyper threading on..

anything else is again STUPID..

oh wait there muight be some confusion so i guess i better be completely clear..

this does not count other bios tweaks just those concerning cstates
ram timing etc is a completely differnt discussion..

Thanks for making that clear. So anyone that do not use 2011 and 1155 should disable all!

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 15:55:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby thebiglongy 2014/02/06 12:08:18
read the thread i linked to.. but yes basically other than HT

Scott
ADK
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/21 16:20:21 (permalink)
Freddie H

Thanks for making that clear. So anyone that do not use 2011 and 1155 should disable all!

Only if your DAW is DEDICATED by a papal order bestowed on it by Alegria.  Using Notepad is prohibited.

Fair play Freddie at least you listen and are always good humoured about it...

Freddie H
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/22 07:45:12 (permalink)
Jonbouy

Freddie H

Only if your DAW is DEDICATED by a papal order bestowed on it by Alegria.  Using Notepad is prohibited.

Fair play Freddie at least you listen and are always good humoured about it...

Yeah Sure..
About english humor. Who is the man of the picture of your avatar? It looks kind of funny.

(Note: If its picture of you, please don't be offended, that is not my attention.)
post edited by Freddie H - 2012/08/22 07:46:17

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/22 08:43:45 (permalink)
LOL

He's called Terry Tibbs and he likes to buy and sell things....

What we'd call a 'wide boy' over here.

Google him.

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/22 09:16:12 (permalink)
Jonbouy

LOL

Google him.

all this time i thought it was telly savalis

Attached Image(s)

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Goddard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/23 04:01:54 (permalink)
jcschild

for socket 2011 and 1155

Oh good grief, not again...
Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/23 08:16:46 (permalink)
Somehow, after the announcement of Billy's passing, and out of respect for those who are mourning (including his friends here), I'll pass on commenting for now (I'll be back in a few days). Feel free to continue knocking yourselves out in the meantime.

Jonbouy
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/23 09:38:28 (permalink)
I'm not even going to comment on that other than to say you've just been blocked for good.

jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/23 10:41:09 (permalink)
Goddard

jcschild

for socket 2011 and 1155

oh feel free to explain.. i will gladly hand you your butt

Scott
ADK
Goddard
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/23 15:35:04 (permalink)
jcschild

Goddard

jcschild

for socket 2011 and 1155

oh feel free to explain.. i will gladly hand you your butt

No, please, I insist, you first. Your bonus tip, after all. Don't leave us all guessing as to why we should turn off HPET.

Were you implying that HPET somehow has something to do with core parking or power or performance management? Or was it merely a general system performance improvement tip? Or what?

Freddie H
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/24 03:25:36 (permalink)
Jonbouy

LOL

Google him.

Got it!

Alegria
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/25 11:35:07 (permalink)
"Jonbouy"
I'm not even going to comment on that other than to say you've just been blocked for good.

I'll try to get over it. 

"jcschild"
do you even know what Quid pro quo means.. rather out of context here..

It was a reference to an older debate we've had, where you simply avoided answering a very specific question (you took your ball and went home, remember?). So if you have any hard numbers to show that would put to rest this debate about core parking, my suggestion at this point is to..., show them. That's it, that's all.

Note 1: As for the "easy button", where can I get me one of those?

Note 2: As for the "HPET" pseudo-tweak, I've asked the question a long time ago about the benefits of leaving it ON or OFF. Never got an answer, but after approx. 3 months of having it OFF, I'm in a better position to make up my own mind. I'll be glad to share what I've discovered..., after you've answered "Goddard's" question of course.
jcschild
Re:Core Parking 2012/08/27 13:56:04 (permalink)
Hpet:  in a nut shell so all can understand

You turn that off because it allows the C state changes to happen at a much faster interval. It also allows Drivers to interrupt the CPU every 1ms instead of 10 ms.

Scott
ADK
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1