Helpful ReplyDAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:14:06 (permalink)
I posted this in the Cubase thread:
I spent all last night downloading demos, Cubase 8.5 is 9 GB so It's still grinding away.

Anyhow for those interested so far my observations

Mix Buss - Probably a cool program for people who work in audio only, Midi editing is crude. GUI is also very undeveloped and feels like freeware. I never did figure out how to insert a 3rd party vst. Might as well go back to Sonar 5. Let's just say, you get what you pay for at only $100 regular price. There's the Mix Bus 32 but all you get is better EQ and more Busses. I failed to grasp the value in that for more like $350. One can get by with 8 sub busses and EQ is easily added with Plug ins. 
Oh, and it crashed on me for no apparent reason. A visit to the user forum and seems Mr Harrison himself answers questions, most are about  bugs found and he seemed to promise immediate action. 

Mix Craft- GUI and Midi editing is on par with Sonar 8.5. Probably a cheaper replacement for Studio 1. 
 But over all it is logical and without reading any instructions I made a song and inserted a few 3rd party VST's. 
I like it but I have Sonar 8.5 and X3 so it would be a waste of $100. I have no desire to go through 6 years of development again.

Which really nails it for me. I think you'll find only Cubase is up to our standards. I am not even going to bother downloading Studio 1 demo because so far everything I've read say's I will be disappointed with the MIDI editing and hat it too is way behind Sonar.  I feel sorry for those who panicked and did not take the time to research the options first. As said somewhere above. There is no reason to panic.    

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:18:04 (permalink)
tenfoot
aidanodr
A CUBASE 8.5 trial is available here. Fill in the form and you get an email with link + trial serial - 9.4GB D/Load:

https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/dlreg?ID=CP85TRIAW

If thats any use for you guys testing DAWS

A trial version that you can't use without purchasing a usb licenser? Can't help but think Steinberg haven't quite hought that one through!

That's one of the reasons (No ARA is another) I didn't go with Cubase. Dongles are so 70s!  I don't mind a one time authorization like Superior Drummer 3 or similar schemes other products use. When I purchased Studio One 3 they gave me a authorization code that I entered and I was good to go. No stupid Dongles!

Walt 

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
Jean
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:27:09 (permalink)
Do any of the big alternative DAWS have the insert effects visible on each track like SPLAT? (instead of an inspector like setup) I didn’t use the pro channel that much as I preferred using/opening insert effects straight from the track itself in the track view.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:29:59 (permalink)
demo demo demo!

just a sec

Jari
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:38:43 (permalink)
I don't understand how Steinberg dongle could be a deal breaker for anyone. Many of you guys are showing off your big list of computer and audio equipment as a signature, so what harm would one little dongle do if you add it to your gear collection?
post edited by Jari - 2017/11/25 18:09:41
KnottyChord
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:56:22 (permalink)
SONAR was the only reason I stuck with Windows on my last laptop upgrade.  I was kind of shocked last year when all the SONAR for Mac talk just went quiet.  I like that Cubase works on Windows or Mac.

I already have Cubasis 2.3 (50% off yesterday on app store) on my IPad and it claims to have seamless integration with Cubase.   Cubasis does anything Momentum does better with 100's of more features including MIDI.  Cubasis with a good mic (like Shure Motiv) and a MIDI controller is the most portable multi-track solution I have found that gives me lossless results that can be further developed on SONAR.  Maybe now I'll develop further on Cubase (with less hassle to boot).
aghschwabe
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:04:33 (permalink)
The Melodyne integration in Studio One 3.5 is more seamless than sonar. I can open a Melodyne Clip in the editor, edit directly, close the editor and keep working on the project. I have Melodyne Editor but this was my only worry about switching. Turned out not to be a worry at all.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:07:44 (permalink)
I don't think Cubase has an Event List. That's a deal breaker for me. I use it constantly, along with staff view. That's why Reaper has worked out so well for me. A great notation editor, and an Event List identical to Sonar's.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

khapahk1956
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:13:37 (permalink)
michael diemer
I don't think Cubase has an Event List. That's a deal breaker for me. I use it constantly, along with staff view. That's why Reaper has worked out so well for me. A great notation editor, and an Event List identical to Sonar's.

Cubase Pro has a page called List Editor which looks like an Event List to me but I'm looking at their web page as I don't own it (well, not yet anyway !). It's about halfway down the page, after Score Editor.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase_music_production_software/music_composition_tools.html

Is that what you're after ?

Bob
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:19:43 (permalink)
The dongle means probably less theft and more likely that Cubase will continue.

GEE - we can't have it both ways.  It will take money and theft protection to keep software employees employed and a good system to keep going.  Otherwise, we will all be in the same boat later.

Maybe I am wrong - I am not a theft protection expert.
michael diemer
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:22:53 (permalink)
khapahk1956
michael diemer

Cubase Pro has a page called List Editor which looks like an Event List to me but I'm looking at their web page as I don't own it (well, not yet anyway !). It's about halfway down the page, after Score Editor.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/cubase_music_production_software/music_composition_tools.html

Bob

Thanks Bob, I must have missed that somehow. Yes, it looks like that would be what I'm looking for. As the text says, it can be a huge timesaver.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:25:47 (permalink)
I remember reading this, so I looked up the wiki... Studio One was largely designed by ex Steinberg engineers.  They have strong cvs.  
From Wiki
In 2006, KristalLabs Software Ltd., a start-up founded by Wolfgang Kundrus and Matthias Juwan, began working on Studio One in cooperation with PreSonus. Kundrus was one of the early developers of Cubase and was the primary author of Nuendo for Steinberg. Juwan had written version 3 of the Virtual Studio Technology (VST) plug-in specification, and written the freeware KRISTAL Audio Engine. KristalLabs later became an integrated part of PreSonus. Wolfgang Kundrus was the Managing Director and Matthias Juwan chief technology officer (CTO). Wolfgang Kundrus left PreSonus in 2014 and is now Head of Software Development for EastWest Sounds. [3] Other members of the team who also originally came from Steinberg include Maik Oppermann and Eike Jonas.[4]

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
khapahk1956
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 17:52:53 (permalink)
michael diemer
khapahk1956
michael diemer

Bob

Thanks Bob, I must have missed that somehow. Yes, it looks like that would be what I'm looking for. As the text says, it can be a huge timesaver.

Quite agree !   One of my top five most used screens in Sonar, essential requirement in any replacement DAW.

Bob
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 18:29:46 (permalink)
GaryMedia

I have a Studio One Professional V3.5 upgrade in the pipeline; up from V2.x Professional (that I never used).  However, I took a look at the Mixcraft (acoustica.com) site and as a big fan of iZotope products, the Mastering Essentials caught my eye.  Do you happen to know if it's 'trapped' inside MixCraft like the Adaptive Limiter is trapped inside of Sonar?  In addition, the Ferox Tape Emulator and the Pianissimo VSTi seem to be excellent things that would push me to buy if they aren't proprietary to Mixcraft.  

I've never confirmed that the Izotope Mastering Essentials is usable only by Mixcraft, but I suspect that it is, in much the same way they were inside Sound Forge.  During the Mixcraft install, Pianissimo gets automatically validated for serial number confirmation, and is installed as if it were the one-off purchased plugin.  The dll gets put in a Mixcraft folder, however, so you might need to either move it, or have Studio One scan the folder.  The same is true for the Ferox Tape Emulator, I believe.

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
MarkSSwanson
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 19:28:26 (permalink)
Pardon me if this question has already been answered.  One of the factors in mixing are the available plugins for the audio tracks.  Will the plugins that SPLAT provided, such as ProChannel, be available in other DAWs, or are they specifically licensed only to run under SPLAT?  
35mm
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 19:33:33 (permalink)
MarkSSwanson
Pardon me if this question has already been answered.  One of the factors in mixing are the available plugins for the audio tracks.  Will the plugins that SPLAT provided, such as ProChannel, be available in other DAWs, or are they specifically licensed only to run under SPLAT?  

Some will. There was a list posted on the forum recently in a thread asking this question. Note at ProChannel is not a plugin - it's built into Sonar.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
muddfishmike
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/15 12:33:10 (permalink)
I've been fighting with the transition. I bought Studio One, Samplitude and Reaper. I find myself working mainly on Studio One, but I've grown so used to Sound on Sound recording mode which none support. I am loading Cakewalk by Bandlab and hope I don't have to relearn another DAW.
LJB
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1502
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/15 12:41:06 (permalink)
You won't be disappointed.

Ludwig Bouwer, One Big Room Studios.
--------------------
Cakewalk
with all the trimmings / Win 10Pro 64 / Intel i7-7700 / Asus Prime Z270k / 16GB DDR4 / RME HDSP9652 / RME UFX / Black Lion Audio ADA8000 / ART MPA & ART Pro Channel / Focusrite Voicemaster Pro / Aphex 107

Check out my work at www.onebigroom.co.za

DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/15 13:10:22 (permalink)
Best fit?
CbB!

T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/15 19:26:06 (permalink)
muddfishmike
I've been fighting with the transition. I bought Studio One, Samplitude and Reaper. I find myself working mainly on Studio One, but I've grown so used to Sound on Sound recording mode which none support. I am loading Cakewalk by Bandlab and hope I don't have to relearn another DAW.

You already have 3 great DAWs and you are adding yet another great DAW to that collection.

Unfortunately, you need to learn each DAW separately. Some parts are more strait in one DAW compare to another, but there will be opposite cases.
F.e. REAPER can loop record with Sound on Sound but a beginner will probably never realize how (3 options should be set, at 3 different places, one of which has such a name that it is impossible to understand its relation to required behavior).
CbB is (IMHO) simpler to start recording then REAPER. But it also has many not self explaining options spread across different places.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/15 23:54:40 (permalink)
If I just wanted to move all my projects from SONAR/CbB for re-mixing only to Reaper, azslow3's reacp.dll is a brilliant tool (Reaper plugin) that transfers everything (or at least it did for me on a few of my most complex projects with both audio and MIDI) by opening a .cwp from within Reaper.

Brilliant I say.
Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 06:05:35 (permalink)
HI:) 

In the end of November I bought Studio One and Cubase 9.5! I learned to work with Studio One, but worked with SPlat, then I tried to work with Cubase, but I don't like it, I never liked it! Some cool features but that's it, I'm not happy with it:(

So then CbB came out am I'm still there, not made just 1 project wether in Studio One nor in Cubase 

And that's fine like it is! I have CbB and the best of all AZCtrl + BCR2000, a very good team!

Bassman.

Cakewalk for DOS Shareware
Cakewalk for DOS 1-5
All Versions of Cakewalk
Sonar Platinum 64bit
bapu
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 06:56:55 (permalink)
For me I'm doing all new projects in Studio One Pro V4 (to infinity and beyond).
I have two or three unfinished projects still in CbB that will be finished there. After that I'm not likely to start any new projects in CbB unless a collaborator actually gives me a full project in a .cwb or zip file.

I'm not down on CbB for any reason I just now prefer to work in Studio One Pro.

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 11:29:01 (permalink)
Last Autumn I took advantage of the S1 Crossgrade. what is a nice software so far. But I realized, SPLAT can do so much more, a perfect toolbox for every situation. So much things, S1 doesn't have (Sysex, Playlists, Matrix, Staff View, Theme editor, 5.1, punch markers and so on . . . . ) And Sonar has so much little Details to ease your workflow, I really like that. It looks good, it feels good, so I decided to stay with SPLAT as long as possible. And then came Bandlab. So, I'm a happy CbB User, hoping for the reincarnation of rapture pro f.e. and curious about the future plans of bandlab
Jm2C

Cheers :)

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
chap_sistine
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 15:48:26 (permalink)
I often work/-ed with different DAWs, even for the same song. Sometimes a synth or another plugin is bound to a DAW and I record a wave file with it for a song and transfer it into Sonar/CbB for the mix. Or I record the vocals or a guitar on my old hardware recorders. I split a song recording anyway into several projects: Basic arrangement, recording VSTi's, recording lead vocals, treating vocals, ..., mixing, mastering. The result of each project are one or more wave files that I use in the other projects. Like that the projects are much lighter (no dropouts, no crashes) and I have natural backups of my work (the wave files).
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 20:05:06 (permalink)
chap_sistine
I often work/-ed with different DAWs, even for the same song. Sometimes a synth or another plugin is bound to a DAW and I record a wave file with it for a song and transfer it into Sonar/CbB for the mix. Or I record the vocals or a guitar on my old hardware recorders. I split a song recording anyway into several projects: Basic arrangement, recording VSTi's, recording lead vocals, treating vocals, ..., mixing, mastering. The result of each project are one or more wave files that I use in the other projects. Like that the projects are much lighter (no dropouts, no crashes) and I have natural backups of my work (the wave files).

To which I'd add that premixes are your friend. You can mix down a song in CbB, and then bring the premix into another DAW so you can use instruments locked to it or features not in CbB. Then you can render what you did in the other DAW, and bring it back into CbB.

Of course the reverse is also true - start a project in one DAW, then export the WAVs and use CbB for the ProChannel, upsampling, Mix Recall, etc.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bapu
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 20:53:49 (permalink)
mkerl
punch markers and so on . . . . ) 

I'm not sure what you mean, I can set a punch range in SO4P.
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/16 22:14:16 (permalink)
bapu
mkerl
punch markers and so on . . . . ) 

I'm not sure what you mean, I can set a punch range in SO4P.

Hi,
I have S1 3.5. There are Loop markers but no dedicated Punch markers in S1 like Sonar has. Sure, you can set a punch range with loop markers and Autopunch on. To me the punch markers in Sonar are much better, more flexible. No big deal, but a little thing that counts for me.

cheers :)

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/18 03:46:57 (permalink)
bapu
For me I'm doing all new projects in Studio One Pro V4 (to infinity and beyond).

I'm not down on CbB for any reason I just now prefer to work in Studio One Pro.

Agreed.  It's time to move on.  Well, I did, actually, and the studio is still in boxes, but when I'm settled again SO will be center stage.

I reserve the right to use SPlat of course, and to check in on this community from time to time, but like I said, the time has come to make a change.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
35mm
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/18 18:51:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby marled 2018/09/18 19:37:38
Nearly one year on and here's the situation for me... Up until last November I was happily productive in Splat. Then the disaster struck and I got S1 and Samplitude in the special offers that came up and tried out Reaper. I didn't get on with S1 partly because it lacked some of the deeper features I need. I didn't like Reaper. Samplitude was great and easily as good as Splat if not better in some ways, but I still had an affinity with Sonar after all those years. When CbB came along I was very excited and grabbed it. Now I am in a state of chaos. I never know which DAW to launch when I am feeling inspired and I have projects in progress in virtually all my DAWs, well in CbB, Samplitude, S1 and FL Studio (which I have had for many years also). That's a bad way to be! I think psychologically it's a case of I paid good money for them so I must use them and get my money's worth out of them. I haven't updated to S1 4 and don't think I will. But I am torn between Samplitude and Cake. Samplitude fits in really well with my studio setup. It has a brilliant, deep controller editor where you can change the functions of all your controller buttons, knobs etc. to work with the DAW any way you want which means any controller you use can work exactly how you want it to - all DAWs should have this instead of just presets for a limited number of supported controllers. Meanwhile, I still have this infinity with Cakewalk, and now the initial excitement of BL's acquisition of it has worn off a bit, I am feeling a bit unsettled about moving forward with Cake again. The memories of getting my fingers burned last time are still fresh - twice shy etc. The regular updates have been good and it seems like there's a plan, but everything still seems to be up in the air and a bit uncertain still.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1