Helpful ReplyDAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
2017/11/24 18:42:14 (permalink)

DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians

There are a lot of folks trying to decide which way to go with a replacement DAW either now or when Sonar quits. It might be helpful if people with experience of other DAWs can contribute to this thread with their comparisons to Sonar and specific features they love about their DAW. 

The main choices based on crossgrade deals are Studio One Pro and Cubase Pro. Even those wanting to continue with Sonar may be looking at investing in their next DAW now while the deals are there. Let's try to keep this from being too subjective or conversational so it makes a useful read for those stuck with the tough decision.

The only thing I will add is that I find Cubase to be most 'Sonar like' DAW and I suspect the reason for that is that Cakewalk and Steinberg spent decades competing pretty much head to head in the sequencer/DAW market and kind of pinching the odd idea off each other here and there. Studio One is new and sleeker but less mature and developed, however, it does currently have a lower price tag and with their crossgrade offer coming next week and Steinberg having shown their hand early, price could be in Presonus' favor. It seems it's a choice between a fast developing younger platform with a lower running cost that lacks a bit of maturity and an older giant with decades of experience and enough features to sink a battleship.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 18:59:33 (permalink)
Re STUDIO ONE 3 being the younger Brat ..

That means it will only improve as it has not matured yet. OK it might not have all Sonar or Cubase has at the moment, but if one buys in now I am sure in a year or two or three it will have caught up a bit more.

For me to buy S1 now is PURELY a financial decision - Black Friday significant reductions, Special crossgrade prices. In 6 months time IF I need a Sonar replacement I dont want to look back at this and say I could have saved 100s by buying back then. I stress I will keep using Sonar as prime DAW for the moment but then would have S1 on the shelf whenever i need it if Sonar goes rogue due to win updates etc.

Again .. I have said elsewhere, keep in mind the Presonus site cart / checkout includes VAT in your price. VAT is charged at your countries rate. If you have a VAT Num you can add it in the right of checkout page to get the VAT off the price ( buying from another country ). 

Note this is not the case at AUDIODELUXE. At the moment its $168 with all discounts, no mention of VAT right through to your payment gateway.

So factor that in if you are waiting for the special Presonus crossgrade price next Tuesday. Will that be cheaper inc vat than the current Audiodeluxe price?

lv455
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 19:16:03 (permalink)
FWIW: I asked in a Swedish home recording group on Facebook what to use as a Sonar replacement in the future.

While I was expecting a lot of Cubase, Live & some Logic recommendations, 80% of all replies was about "Studio One" which was quite new to me. 10% about Cubase and the rest was about Logic & Pro Tools.

A few mentioned Live but I guess most forum members were actually recording instruments rather than just programming them.

However, my plan for the upcoming years is to stick to Sonar regardless of what Gibson is doing.

Sonar Platinum, RME Babyface, Dynaudio BM5a + BM9S, Sennheiser HD650, Windows 10 64, HP Z620 Xeon E5-2667v2 32gb, GTX1070, 2x500GB SSD, Readynas 314, Readynas 214

aidanodr
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 19:19:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cat Cave 2017/11/25 00:51:38
A CUBASE 8.5 trial is available here. Fill in the form and you get an email with link + trial serial - 9.4GB D/Load:

https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/dlreg?ID=CP85TRIAW

If thats any use for you guys testing DAWS

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 19:50:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby digimidi 2018/09/27 19:32:37
Studio One is far and away the most-suggested alternative. There are a great many ex-SONAR users there already, and they have an active forum. That means you can post questions like "what's the equivalent for SONAR's tempo map?" and somebody will be able to answer you. Whether you like the answer isn't as certain.

A friend of mine just went over to Cubase. I think his decision was based on the fact that Cubase is the most similar to SONAR, and equally mature and full-featured. While it lacks some of SONAR's features, it has a bunch of its own strengths to compensate for anything you might miss. Which is largely true for any serious DAW you might choose.

The surprise dark horse candidate is Mixcraft. It's far more sophisticated than I expected, given that it's been awhile since I last looked at it. If cost is a major factor, Mixcraft is the least-expensive alternative at the moment.

I think it's important to mention that there is really no rush to make a decision. Sticking with SONAR will continue to be a viable option for a long time to come. Those Black Friday deals will be back next year. Plus some vendors are offering special crossgrade pricing for Cakewalk users, and those will likely be kept going for a few months at least.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Kuusniemi
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 20:50:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aghschwabe 2017/11/25 16:45:50
I'm probably a dissenting voice, but I don't want the best fit. If I can't one day use Sonar I will want something different. Something that will push me to really learn it. At the moment for me that is Bitwig. The traditional Cubase/Studio One/Reaper triangle all feel too similar to Sonar for me to not notice that they in fact are not Sonar.

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
aconte22
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 21:10:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aghschwabe 2017/11/25 16:46:05
Hey 35mm,
As a former VP of Sales at Cakewalk for 12 years, and now VP of Sales at Acoustica for the last five years, we would greatly appreciate your kind consideration to take a serious look at Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. It is maturing with each new version and will surprise many of you. At $179 (on sale this weekend for $99), it includes side-chaining, VST3 and MP4 support, 64-bit and 32-bit, automation and sub-mixing, live recording to performance panel grids and professional video editing. Beautiful pristine sounding VI's emulating Steinway, Moog and many other vintage analog synths, acoustic instruments and orchestral strings. Includes integrated Melodyne Essentials directly into the sound edit tab, and one-click simultaneous publishing to soundcloud, mixcloud, youtube, FB, tumblr and your other music and video sites. Check it out at  the Acoustica website.

Please allow me to point out the intangibles. We are a small software-only company focusing on the PC (like the early days of Cakewalk). We have a CTO who came from Sonic Foundry and was part of the senior development team that created Acid and Vegas, which is why you will see that the Loop Library asset management (over 7800 loops and samples with integration of freesound.org into the sound edit tab with instant access to thousands of more free loops) and video editing are far superior than any other DAW on the market today. Mixcraft 8 is for real!

The Cakewalk forum host contacted us and is kindly going to allow us to start a new thread specifically about Mixcraft 8.  Look for the new thread in the coming days, and, of course, please ask any questions you have right here in this thread as well.
Anthony
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 21:52:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Johnny5078 2017/11/25 00:45:57
Anyone had any experience with Bitwig? It has features that I like but I'm turned off with the lack of support for time sig changes. At least that's what I read - maybe it's changed since then?

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
mosspa
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 22:06:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aghschwabe 2017/11/25 16:47:26
aconte22
As a former VP of Sales at Cakewalk for 12 years, and now VP of Sales at Acoustica for the last five years, we would greatly appreciate your kind consideration to take a serious look at Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I hadn't yet read your post when I posted my reply to bitflipper, above.  One thing I forgot to include in the prior post was Mixcraft's ACID-like track building capability.  I agree that no other DAW, except maybe ACID (if you can call ACID a DAW) comes close to Mixcraft when working with loops, especially in linear compositing of ideas in a track.  In addition to working with loops in a track, the ACID-like track envelope functions will be second nature to anybody who has worked with tracks in ACID.  Since Mixcraft 6 I have found no advantage to keeping ACID Pro 7 on either of my systems, since Mixcraft handles anything that ACID can, with a much more intuitive interface (once you get past assembling the individual tracks). 

John

AsRock Taichi 399, AMD Threadripper 1950x  O.C. 4.0GHz. 64GB DDR4-3200, Win 10 Pro,  Focusrite Scarlet 18i 20/Scarlet Octo Pre.  Frontier Design Apache ADAT routing, MOTU MTP MIDI Routing
Kuusniemi
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 22:36:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aghschwabe 2017/11/25 16:47:44
sharke
Anyone had any experience with Bitwig? It has features that I like but I'm turned off with the lack of support for time sig changes. At least that's what I read - maybe it's changed since then?

Very limited experience (only a few days worth) but there's quite a bit to like in Bitwig. No experience with their support but it feels like a complete product and considering it's version 2 now it's surprisingly good. There are still things missing, but I have no doubt that it will be developed more.

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/24 22:45:14 (permalink)
aidanodr
A CUBASE 8.5 trial is available here. Fill in the form and you get an email with link + trial serial - 9.4GB D/Load:

https://shop.steinberg.net/cgi-bin/dlreg?ID=CP85TRIAW

If thats any use for you guys testing DAWS

A trial version that you can't use without purchasing a usb licenser? Can't help but think Steinberg haven't quite hought that one through!

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 00:28:40 (permalink)
Same thought here. But if it's all the rage it purports to be, you'll need it for the retail version when you buy it. 

I may wait for the 9.5 demo as it has a lot of new features 8.5 omits.
Russ.15
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 00:46:30 (permalink)
I'm intrigued with Bitwig, too, but I'm waiting to download the demo until I finish building a new computer this weekend. But what's this about not being able to change time signatures?!? That's a non-starter for me.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -Martin Luther

Win10 on i7-8700k w/ 16GB RAM; SPLAT (final version)
35mm
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 04:52:07 (permalink)
I got the light version of Bitwig with my Nektar LX 88 keyboard. I had a quick play with it. I found it a bit, hmm, teenager, new skool, EDM orientated. That was my impression. That was a year ago and to be honest I am old school so maybe it's just me. I didn't play with it for long. I had a quick look, couldn't find many features I would want then uninstalled it. I did hear somewhere that it has rapidly become one of the most popular DAWs though. Even though, at the time I had never heard of it before.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 04:59:36 (permalink)
I've spent a few minutes on demos, not enough to mean anything or research what I don't know, but just to play.  Mixcraft had a music notation view and I could edit in it.  I couldn't find one on Studio One.

Now to look at the Cubase demo, then see if Digital Performer has one.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
35mm
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 05:14:56 (permalink)
Riojazz, I'm still waiting for the Cubase demo to arrive. I downloaded an 8.5 version earlier but haven't run it as I think quite a bit has changed since then. Did you find a more recent demo? I heard there should be one in a day or two. 

deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 05:22:23 (permalink)
Please tell me more.  One can record to audio and midi tracks?  One can edit the audio and midi?
What kind of audio editing features?
What kind of midi editing features?
Tempo changes?
Time signature changes?
Latency issues?
Windows 10 issues?

Thanks very much,
AB

aconte22
Hey 35mm,
As a former VP of Sales at Cakewalk for 12 years, and now VP of Sales at Acoustica for the last five years, we would greatly appreciate your kind consideration to take a serious look at Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. It is maturing with each new version and will surprise many of you. At $179 (on sale this weekend for $99), it includes side-chaining, VST3 and MP4 support, 64-bit and 32-bit, automation and sub-mixing, live recording to performance panel grids and professional video editing. Beautiful pristine sounding VI's emulating Steinway, Moog and many other vintage analog synths, acoustic instruments and orchestral strings. Includes integrated Melodyne Essentials directly into the sound edit tab, and one-click simultaneous publishing to soundcloud, mixcloud, youtube, FB, tumblr and your other music and video sites. Check it out at  the Acoustica website.

Please allow me to point out the intangibles. We are a small software-only company focusing on the PC (like the early days of Cakewalk). We have a CTO who came from Sonic Foundry and was part of the senior development team that created Acid and Vegas, which is why you will see that the Loop Library asset management (over 7800 loops and samples with integration of freesound.org into the sound edit tab with instant access to thousands of more free loops) and video editing are far superior than any other DAW on the market today. Mixcraft 8 is for real!

The Cakewalk forum host contacted us and is kindly going to allow us to start a new thread specifically about Mixcraft 8.  Look for the new thread in the coming days, and, of course, please ask any questions you have right here in this thread as well.
Anthony

denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 06:18:16 (permalink)
sharke

Bitwig is probably my favorite new DAW. The workflow is a little different than a traditional DAW, but I really like it, and it really promotes creativity. The best part is the Bitwig developers have a great relationship with the folks at Microsoft. Probably the best Windows DAW next to Sonar, in terms of supporting all the latest Windows 10 and Surface features.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
riojazz
  • Total Posts : 1337
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 06:26:25 (permalink)
35mm
Riojazz, I'm still waiting for the Cubase demo to arrive. I downloaded an 8.5 version earlier but haven't run it as I think quite a bit has changed since then. Did you find a more recent demo? I heard there should be one in a day or two. 

No, the demo (which I didn't start trying yet) said it was 8.5.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
HighAndDry
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 586
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 06:30:26 (permalink)
Reaper all the way.  It just works

ASRock Z97 Pro 4 Motherboard
Chipset : Intel Z97
Intel i7 4790k
32 gb Ballistix (crucial) 1600 DDR3 ram

Corsair 330R case Corsair Rm750 ultra quiet power supply
Win 10 64 bit

Motu 1248 AVB
Mackie Onyx Blackbird 16 x16 FW
Sonar Platinum

outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 06:47:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aghschwabe 2017/11/25 16:49:39
riojazz
I've spent a few minutes on demos, not enough to mean anything or research what I don't know, but just to play.  Mixcraft had a music notation view and I could edit in it.  I couldn't find one on Studio One.

Studio One 3.5 reWires to Notion and apparently the edits in one send the edits to the other. I haven't tried this out yet (I currently only have the demo for Studio One). The Black Friday price for Studio One and Notion is about $225US. This is from the PreSonus site:

Or create a music production powerhouse by pairing Notion 6 with Studio One 3, where you can now send audio, note, track, VST and score data directly between the applications. The workflow between Notion 6 and Studio One 3 is unprecedented, as both applications can run side by side on the same computer or on any computers on the same network.

Learn more about Notion’s compatibility.
For a potent, yet easy-to-use combination, take advantage of Notion 6’s tight integration with Studio One. Compose in Studio One and send note data to Notion for editing and printing parts. Enjoy Notion’s superior playback sounds, notation capabilities, and video scoring features in combination with Studio One’s in-depth editing, processing, and (with Studio One Professional) integrated Melodyne, mastering, and digital release features. Export the audio or note data for each track and import it into a copy of Notion 6 running anywhere on the network.Better yet, Notion 6 can look for instances of Studio One anywhere on your network, automatically open a new project, and send the audio files or note data, track data, and score data straight to the DAW, retaining instrument name, score order, pan and gain settings, rehearsal marks, initial time signature, and metronome marks.Want to transcribe in Notion and have a reference track? Or perhaps you’d like to add audio effects for triggering during a Notion live performance. With Notion 6, you can send audio from Studio One to any instance of Notion on your network or on the same machine, setting up a new score and attaching the audio to it.Notion supports audio and MIDI over ReWire as a host and slave in 64-bit or 32-bit mode. During playback, with Notion as the host, you have full access to Notion’s playback and performance features using the computer keyboard or MIDI keyboard. As the stereo stream from the slave application arrives at Bus A in the mixer, you can alter gain, panning, effects, and so on, just like any other instrument. Send multiple MIDI tracks and buses from Notion to any ReWire-equipped application and drive your instruments directly from notation, including articulations.When Notion is acting as the slave application it follows the commands of a host application. Notion can send up to 32 streams to the host application, start and stop playback, and audition new notes. In fact, you may even forget that Notion is in slave mode until the host begins a playback operation. 

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

Bassman002
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 07:30:20 (permalink)
HI:)

I worked now 31 years with Cakewalk and I will go on working with Sonar, but I want to be weaponed for the worst case and now I bought a Crossgrade  Cubase 9.5 at Sweetwater for 255$!

I've looked a lot of Youtube Videos from different DAWs, especially Studio One, but the best I solution for me for the future will be Cubase.

Steinberg Software was the very first Sequenzer I worked with on C64, years before Cakewalk came up on PC:)

So I started with Steinberg, and with Steinberg it will end maybe:)

But my first choice is Sonar and it ever will be!!

Bassman.

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 10:59:28 (permalink)
To try to put perspective on things...it so depends on what you want to do and what you need to do. 

If only one of any of the existing DAWs was left, I'd still be able to make music with it. Cubase, Studio One. Mixcraft, Live...they're all great programs, but designed by different people who prioritized different aspects of making music on a computer. If you get hung up on "DAW A has features A, B, R, and G, while DAW B has features C, D, H, and R, but also has G, but it's not as well implemented as DAW A...but DAW C implements feature G better than anyone, but doesn't even have features B and R...but does have features T and P," you'll go insane.

As I've said before, if you go to ANY forum for ANY DAW you'll come away convinced that none of them work at all. But they all do. And they all have limitations and bugs.

I did decide my next DAW has to be cross-platform (Windows desktop at home, MacBook Pro when traveling), which rules out Logic and Mixcraft. I do agree that Mixcraft's specialty is underpromising and overdelivering. For example their video capabilities are better than Pro Tools, and their looping options are exceptional. 

They're all good. What matters is what matters to you, which depends totally on what was important to the developers.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
aidanodr
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 11:43:08 (permalink)
Basseman
HI:)

I worked now 31 years with Cakewalk and I will go on working with Sonar, but I want to be weaponed for the worst case and now I bought a Crossgrade Cubase 9.5 at Sweetwater for 255$!

I've looked a lot of Youtube Videos from different DAWs, especially Studio One, but the best I solution for me for the future will be Cubase.

Steinberg Software was the very first Sequenzer I worked with on C64, years before Cakewalk came up on PC:)

So I started with Steinberg, and with Steinberg it will end maybe:)

But my first choice is Sonar and it ever will be!!

Bassman.

https://www.sweetwater.co.store/detail/CubaseP95CG
ChazEd
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 12:08:22 (permalink)
After this gibson/cakewalk disaster, I say: forget daw comparisons.

Stick with the Big Guns (Cubase, Logic & Pro Tools) and don't worry about zombieware (for now) or broken vaporware (next windows update LOL).

I'll stick with Live for now, and if this poll can be trusted, I made the right decision:

https://www.gearslutz.com...ial-poll-d-2017-a.html

Ableton Live 10 Suite x64
Korg Legacy Collection, FXpansion Tremor, Z3ta+ 2 & Rapture Pro
Win 10 x64 (Still knocking on wood...)
i7 4770, GA-H97-D3H, 16 GB, 7200 1TB + 2TB, RX 580, CX600V2
UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
GaryMedia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 217
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 13:56:26 (permalink)
bitflipper
The surprise dark horse candidate is Mixcraft. It's far more sophisticated than I expected, given that it's been awhile since I last looked at it. If cost is a major factor, Mixcraft is the least-expensive alternative at the moment.

I took a quick tour of the forum for Mixcraft and couldn't find and answer to this issue.  I hope you can answer off the top of your head.

I have a Studio One Professional V3.5 upgrade in the pipeline; up from V2.x Professional (that I never used).  However, I took a look at the Mixcraft (acoustica.com) site and as a big fan of iZotope products, the Mastering Essentials caught my eye.  Do you happen to know if it's 'trapped' inside MixCraft like the Adaptive Limiter is trapped inside of Sonar?  In addition, the Ferox Tape Emulator and the Pianissimo VSTi seem to be excellent things that would push me to buy if they aren't proprietary to Mixcraft.  

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 14:31:43 (permalink)
I already choosed Cubase Pro 9.5
Important for me was: Offline Rendering (we need this to restore old records), audioclip management with batch numbering thousends of clips, batch exporting from thousends of clips, project templates, track templates, fx chains, fast zoom in and out, the posibility to record over 100 hours of audio in one project, fast splitting thousends of clips, audioclips can be processed with wavelab, More then one marker track, enhanced Video ... compatible to AVID controllers, compatible to Console 1 ...
So I can do my work in Cubase - and also make music.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 15:02:02 (permalink)
I'm also looking for a DAW replacement that'll have the following:

- Cross-Platform (we never know)
- strong hardware / software relationship that has a long history... kind of hoping that regular cashflow is being injected to those collaborating companies...
- Strong "Ableton live"-like features (mainly, a performance pannel able to support key / time signature / tempo / controllers from the performance pannel's cells... Live looks like the only one viable out there, even if i'm a hopeless beginner in that aspect of things...)

So besides the obvious Ableton Live, the only runner ups for me are still the usual Cubase / Studio One / and now maybe even ARDOUR (still was not able to confirm that regular windows VSTs are running on it's windows version...)

Anyway, i'm sticking with SPLAT (and X3 as a "authorised backup" for at least a year...)

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
jimkleban
  • Total Posts : 1319
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 15:31:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby aghschwabe 2017/11/25 17:02:03
I have been a CAKEWALK user since the 80s.... but over the years, I would now and then demo (or even buy) other DAWs.  I currently have PRO TOOLs and PRESONUS.... 

The dilemma for me isn't so much the features replacement products have (they all pretty much do what I need them to do) but it is more about LEARNING CURVES.

Of the two alternatives I currently own, I can easily say that PRESONUS is much easier to navigate and understand what I need to do to set up projects.  Can't say the same for PT... with PT, I am consistently getting bogged down in trying to figure how to do something that I don't even have to think about when using SPLAT.

I guess the other good thing for me (at least) in this situation, is that I never used any of the FREEBIE plugins or advanced features of SPLAT so my projects are pretty much vanilla (audio tracks, midi tracks triggering 3rd party plugs, etc). Any of the freebie plugins that I liked, I would up purchasing the full versions.  The ones that come to mind are: Melodyne and TH3 so instead of having tospend a lot of money at once to keep using these plugins, I have spent a lot of money slowly over the years.

I am sorry to see CAKEWALK go but the writing was on the wall... free LIFETIME upgrades (really)? Cancelled MAC version of SONAR, etc.  and I for one, will probably go the PRESONUS route based upon my recent real world experiences.  The other good thing about Presonus is that they have really nailed add-on hardware thing, closely integrated their software was many options for their own hardware audio interfacing at NO WHERE near the cost of doing this was with the PT offerings and quite honestly, not even able to do this with CAKEWALK.

Now, does anyone know of a method to PORT existing SONAR projects to another DAW for this could be an important feature in making my decision of which DAW to migrate to.

Sorry to see CAKEWALK go but it has been a long and wonderful 30 year trip for me.  

Talk about a BLACK FRIDAY!

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
Apollo Duo (via TB)
UAD Quad
UAD Duo
WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
Splat (latest version)
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2017/11/25 16:04:03 (permalink)
Anderton
To try to put perspective on things...it so depends on what you want to do and what you need to do. 

Totally, obviously there's many people still using much earlier versions of Sonar and are perfectly content with it getting them from point A to Z. Coincidentally, I was content with 2017.06 and Id thought Id stay with that for some time as I didn't really see any new features I wanted or needed since, guess this pretty much happened without my choice as it turns out, LOL. My bigger dread perhaps more so now is moving to Win10.

If I move to a secondary DAW system, my criteria may be more based on sustainability, using this as a lesson, it may be which product supplier is least likely to go belly up and remain consistent in the long term. and yet still introduce new technologies and features, I think Sonar was doing this well for the 30 years it lasted. I would think its a somewhat costly business to support effectively and efficiently, if your offering innovation, good support and have a first class team of developers and programmers employed. You would have to be consistently attracting new clients to buy your products, and/or maintain income through high subscription costs, and/or have other primary and more profitable product lines to help sustain the DAW software product line, which may actually represent a net loss.
I guess in terms of sustainability, Pro-Tools may be a good but costly option, sustained by their Avid mother product lines, and having established their "industry standard" foothold. Studio 1 may be a cheaper option, sustained by Pre-Sonus and its integration with their hardware product lines, as long as these remain prosperous. Im not sure where Steinberg's CuBase fits in here, i.e., in terms of other product lines that may sustain their DAW software products, perhaps they may have a large enough user base and update costs to maintain them , Im also not sure of Ableton or other smaller DAW suppliers sustainability (or other corporate affiliations), perhaps they're actually small enough to survive, or their technologies will be bought out by corporate giants eventually.

Having recently tried out free Pro-Tools/First and Studio 1 versions, I thought Id died and gone to DAW hell in both cases, LOL. Having started with and always stayed with Sonar, perhaps in part it was a familiarity bias and resistance to change habits.            

Im sure with Gibson, it was a losing proposition to sustain Sonar, even with costs of their instruments skyrocketing,  Im not sure how many struggling musicians can afford to buy them these days, and there's only so many "rock stars" to sell to who can afford them, in any case I dont imagine they could justify maintaining an unprofitable DAW software. As good as it is, Cakewalk/Sonar has been stomped on by the corporate giants, as happens with most smaller companies, to take that share of the market away from the small guy. Then I guess all are at the mercy of having to constantly adapt and integrate with changing MS and Apple operating systems and where they decide go with them, and not to mention ever changing physical computer hardware technology advancements, these must represent significant costs, aside from the continued development of the DAW itself. I guess there's probably few DAW suppliers that will weather this storm in the long run, if that's the only product they have to offer. Perhaps its all part of a bigger corporate strategy to take back this part of the market from small software developers and home music producers, by overpricing DAW softwares and too take them out of realm of the small guy, and yet on the other hand people are producing music from their smartphones these days.

Its likely the only way Cakewalk/Sonar could be resurrected, and still be a leader in introducing innovative technologies into their DAW regularly, as in the petition thread, is if some corporate giant like MS takes it under their wing as a pet project to cater to what may be considered us, the last devoted and elite group of Sonarians, destined to extinction. 

As for me, since Im not relying on this as a career, or need to conform or be assimilated to industry standards Ill be perfectly fine continuing using what may be the last version of Sonar and using Win7 OS, for as long as it allows me to do what I want and need to do.

Cheers 

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1