Helpful ReplyDAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/19 11:33:58 (permalink)
As far as a DAW best fit for me goes ? I'm going with the glass is currently half full

10 months ago when an unexpected hurricane of high winds combined with a tsunami of Gibson corporate turds hit land fall and wiped out my beloved Splat ,  I wound up getting Studio One 3 Pro w Notion as my main cross grade away from my former lifetime membership Gibson branded DAW ...

I already had Samplitude Pro X 2 which I bumped up to Pro X Suite 3 .  I had Tracktion 7 which I bumped up to Waveform 9 . I already had Mixcraft 8 Pro ( same version is still current )   I had  SONY Acid Pro 7 which I bumped up to Acid Pro 8 .
To round things out I had a few other little ditty's Like Ableton Live 9 intro , Mixbus 4 and various other Magix and Sony audio and video products  ...

I tried my best to like Studio One . BTW, I'm not looking to pick a fight w anyone or anything , but for me personally I had to put it up on the shelf for now ...I have no desire to effing deal with it . I know it's great but for me I'm not bonding w it  so for all you guys that use it and dig it Hey you have my blessing 

I bounced over to Reaper for a while since I had it and I also started messing around w Tracktion Waveform 8 & 9 .
I found that both of those 2 DAW's are very potent in the features and functionality dept but I always felt as if I was always trying to learn how to do something I already knew ..but in these 2 DAW's I needed a language class to be able to speak to their strong functions in a way where the DAW would do what I was looking to do / accomplish .
Samp , Ableton Live intro  , Acid Pro , and Mixbus  I had been using for a while on and off so it was no big thing to just continue along and use them when I had the need to or the desire ...

When Cakewalk by Bandlab first came out I was a little gun shy at first . Part of me felt it may have been too good to be true ...
The thing is , I'm no Anderton over here so I don't know enough yet to be dangerous but I do have a solid 12 to 13 years of having used a Cakewalk DAW as my primary DAW through out all that time .
When Meng and Bandlab threw out the lifesaver of granting me  a replacement for SPlat I grabbed the life preserver and claimed my right to make and create music using a DAW that I felt comfortable with ...
Admittedly I can say that I am only as good with Cakewalk by Bandlab as I was with Splat only because I knew how to do X Y Z in SPlat so that means I know how to do X Y Z in Cakewalk by Bandlab ...to do more , means I have to learn more too do more

After these 10 or 11 months that have passed , where do I stand ?
A big part of me does not want to throw all my eggs in one basket and focus only on home recording  using a DAW.
My preference has always been to focus on my playing first , keeping that end of things fresh while learning how to use a DAW and getting better w the tech end of things there ....
I'm pretty much using Cakewalk by Bandlab these days  . I have to say I'm very impressed with how well it is performing as a whole . I still have Splat on a few computers so it has been very easy for me to compare and see a noticeable performance increase in Cakewalk by BandLab VS SPlat ...
Overall I'm pretty happy that I can choose to stick with a DAW i know to a degree and have some chops on ...
I'm also happy with the performance and the current development strategy  Bandlab has taken ...
As far as some of the other guys / DAW's I'm seriously considering bumping up my Ableton Live to Live 10 Standard ..
other than that it has been nice talking w you guys
all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/19 12:50:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby arlen2133 2018/09/19 18:47:11
For those new to this thread take note it was originated quite awhile ago at the tail end of the great Gibson hurricane.
The only reason the subject matter was kicked around here in the first place. Looking at different daws isn't something we generally did unless it was to augment and not replace...though some did go to different daws. Some of them wanted to. Most felt they needed to. The future then was uncertain. Projects still needed to go out.

During that time I bought Mixcraft 8 and Ableton 10. I already had all the plugins that came with Platinum so I was pretty well set. I already had Studio One prior to augment CbB. Someone mentioned the competition between Cubase and Cakewalk. I personally think there was more going on between Studio One and Cakewalk. I think we still see it. V4 just got slip editing.

Here's my quick take on these daws-

Mixcraft- Highly underrated. Lots of content and instruments Makes a great program to work with  loops in. The Sonic Foundry association isn't smoke. There's some concrete stuff in there that makes loop workflow nice. 

Ableton- Meh. I love what it does but I have never been comfortable living in it. If you need tracks for live work look nowhere else. They moved fast to cut out 32 bit. Not the most intuitive UI. Only scans one vst folder. If you have vst's in multiple locations, forget it. Does not export mp3 unless that was recently added. Ableton is clearly aiming at the young loop crowd which doesn't work as well in the studio.

Cubase- The main advantage to it is the ability to build huge templates using multis in Kontakt and stream from servers.Yes you can do it in CbB. CbB isn't set up as well to stream from multiple servers at the same time. People who work in soundtracks often use Cubase for this reason. Probably too complex for the average home studio owner. I mean, you can buy it but you'll probably never use half  the features unless you work for MGM or SONY. Not bug free. Complexity adds time to get the job done. Might take you a few years to figure it all out. Usually over priced with a dongle and over kill.

Studio One- For the CbB person it makes a nice second daw to have around. Nice mastering features not found in any other daw at the moment. The included plugins are a step above most daws. Case in point- I was looking at multiband compressors and comparing the Fabfilter MB which is tops in any review. For most of us "99% as good" is plenty good enough and Studio One has a really nice multiband compressor. Also has limiting and metering  on par with Ozone among other things. I have the Waves MBC s too. Pure economics- Fabfilter MB on sale at 150.00. Studio One upgrade 129.00 and I get a whole bunch of nice plugins(including their MB compressor) and an updated daw with it. My logic might be flawed but I don't think so.
I still track in CbB and usually master in it too, but sometimes I'll import a track and run it through SO.

CbB is still my go to every time. The GUI is unmatched for my workflow. Having all the plugins that came with platinum helps.The Gibson storm has blown over. No reason to go anywhere.

post edited by Starise - 2018/09/27 14:34:19

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/20 22:31:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Starise 2018/09/21 15:30:19
Starise, great summary.  However I do have a correction:

[Live] Only scans one vst folder. If you have vst's in multiple locations, forget it.

You can place shortcuts in Live's VST folder, and it will find your other VSTs - more information here

My comment about Live vs. Sonar/CbB hasn't changed over the years - CbB is like a big-bucks studio disguised as software, Live is like a live performance musical instrument disguised as software. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/21 00:19:33 (permalink)
Great summaries from Kenny and Starise!

I would have to say the best fit for Sonarians would be Cakewalk by Bandlab, without a doubt! 

I took advantage of the crossgrade to Studio One 3 Pro, plus cheap upgrades to Ableton Live 10 Standard, and Tracktion Waveform 9.  We live in interesting times, for sure!

I really hope that BandLab is truly in it for the long run, but I will hedge my bets with Studio One as a backup mainstream DAW, just in case. S1 is a fine DAW, but has a few shortcomings that those born and bred with Cakewalk may notice.  It also has a few features that Cakewalk should seriously consider adding.

I see Live and Waveform as more useful for their creativity tools, because there are so many different ways of doing things in them.  Forces you to think out of the box!  So I wouldn't write them off, just maybe not consider them for the leading role.  Plus you can always export your work from them and finish additional tracking, or mixing, in Cakewalk or another mainstream DAW of your choice. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/21 09:22:35 (permalink)
Anderton

You can place shortcuts in Live's VST folder, and it will find your other VSTs - more information here

My comment about Live vs. Sonar/CbB hasn't changed over the years - CbB is like a big-bucks studio disguised as software, Live is like a live performance musical instrument disguised as software. 

Very nice tip you have there Craig placing shortcuts in Lives VST folder. It worked like a charm for me
it is actually quite a bit of a game changer

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

jafo360
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/25 19:26:34 (permalink)
aconnte22,
Checked out your Mixcraft8 site. I can not believe you include the Minimogue va.
I have had that free VST for years. It was the best free software anything that I ever came across and has not been available for years.
It is just as good as any mini moog softsynths that are on the market costing over $100.00.

That may not be a game changer but I just felt like commenting on it.

Later.

Sonar Platinum Win 10  Focusrite 8i6 Intel i5 3.5 Ghz
SiberianKhatru59
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/26 19:26:31 (permalink)
Personally, I love Reason 10 and I've been a Reason user as long as I have used SONAR.  For a home tinkerer such as myself, it is an excellent value IMHO.  When I want to record myself on acoustic guitar, I reach for SONAR but when I want to record synths, acoustic and electric guitar, it's Reason for me.  I love the rack metaphor since I used to work in telephone plant and tech control and feel right at home in a tangle of wires 

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/26 21:46:08 (permalink)
For those interested .. the AKAI MPK mini 2 controller keyboard .. less than $100 comes with a large amount of software once you register it online. This includes REASON 10 LITE which for me seems more than enough if you also use Sonar. To be honest it pretty much seems to be reason full with less instruments and effects. But that does not matter because it now supports all your VSTs as of version 10.

So For less than $100 you get a nice 25 key controller keyboard with 8 pads etc AND Reason 10 lite + also VIP 3 + way more other stuff. Great deal tbh!!

LOSTinSWIRL
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/26 22:15:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby digimidi 2018/09/27 19:47:18
Went to Studio One 4 myself. Love it. The arranger and the chord tracks are awesome. Have not tried Bandlab yet though.  I have Sonar Platinum still installed but haven't used it since the I got Studio One. To each his own. 
rodreb
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/26 22:22:16 (permalink)
I would like nothing better than to stay with CbB. I love it and don't want to go anywhere. Unfortunately, I can no longer get it to run correctly for me. I have it on two completely different computer systems using two completely different interfaces. I have tried everything I, and many other people have thought to try. I have written to BandLab asking if there is any form of tech support available and, I have received no reply.
Throughout all of this, Studio One has run flawlessly on both systems. I specifically bought a new computer and interface just to try to make it work and be able to stay with CbB.
So, I guess I will be moving to Studio One, even though I don't want to. I do not like it as well as CbB but, I guess I have no choice. 

ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording 
https://www.facebook.com/ifrecording?skip_nax_wizard=true

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

BENT
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 355
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/26 23:17:01 (permalink)
rodreb
I would like nothing better than to stay with CbB. I love it and don't want to go anywhere. Unfortunately, I can no longer get it to run correctly for me. I have it on two completely different computer systems using two completely different interfaces. I have tried everything I, and many other people have thought to try. I have written to BandLab asking if there is any form of tech support available and, I have received no reply.
Throughout all of this, Studio One has run flawlessly on both systems. I specifically bought a new computer and interface just to try to make it work and be able to stay with CbB.
So, I guess I will be moving to Studio One, even though I don't want to. I do not like it as well as CbB but, I guess I have no choice. 

I'm sorry to hear this Rod.
I have used cakewalk since Pro-Audio days (1995 I think) and on many computer builds using many USB ext hardware's. What I don't understand is how come the software has run so well for me, not flawless... as X1 was a nightmare. Yet I hear different stories from some users. I'm a muso not a computer tech so please don't ask me to much about my setup as I get lost in tech-talk real fast all I can add is when I do update my DAW computers I splash some cash and get the best I can with fast CPU lots of ram and memory. I don't doubt Rod's or other users word or experiences and I'm definitely not suggesting trolling.

So again I ask... 'How can this be"

I have empirical evidence this is true... (Bender told me!) 
Cakewalk by BandLab, Splat and other DAW's
PC = Win 10 64 Bit, i7 3770, 16Gb RAM, 256GB Samsung 2.5’ 840 PRO SATA6GB/s SSD 1, and 2 x 2Tb Internal, 
Monitors = 2 24” Samsung SA450 and 1 20” Dele
Edirol = Octa-Capture-UA1010, Quad-Capture-UA55, PCR-500,
Berringer 2 x FBC 1010 Alesis Control Pad KRK monitors
aidanodr
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/26 23:44:13 (permalink)
rodreb

Could you simply describe your problem/s? You dont elaborate .. so no idea, in sonar, what is or why is it not running correctly for you?
rodreb
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/27 00:36:35 (permalink)
I have full details in another post on this forum (on page 3 currently) so, I won't get into great detail here on this thread but, in a nutshell....
Whenever I hit play (either in playback or record mode), I get approximately 1 second of hesitation before anything happens (spinning blue frisbee). Also, when editing everything is very sluggish and has long hesitations, as well.
I was originally using an i5 setup with 8 ghz RAM with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 firewire interface. I replaced the firewire card and still had the problem.
After trying everything I, and others could think of, I bought an i7 system with 16 ghz RAM and a Focusrite Scarlett USB interface. I still have the same problem.
I am at my wit's end and, as much as I love CbB, I don't know what else to do. I have been using Sonar since the very first version and, really do not want to be forced to leave it behind.
As I said, full details are in my post elsewhere on this forum.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Need-help-with-Cakewalk-setup-on-new-computer-m3777869.aspx

ROD

Dell XPS, i7 8700 (6 core), 16 gb 2666 RAM, two 2 Tb 7200 RPM HDD's, Windows 10 Home, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & Octapre

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/27 01:56:59 (permalink)
Do you have a high buffer setting? That will cause it to hesitate when you hit playback. Just wondering.
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/27 06:13:50 (permalink)
rodreb
I have full details in another post on this forum (on page 3 currently) so, I won't get into great detail here on this thread but, in a nutshell....

What you can try is computer+DAW (remote) tech support. Unfortunately CW has no such department.

I can try. Music is my hobby, so related computing I do for free. You have disabled PMs in the forum, but I think you still can PM me if you want.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
rodreb
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/27 08:33:28 (permalink)
As an update: Amon from BandLab has contacted me and has identified himself as part of the CbB official tech support. I'm hoping we can get this figured out. I REALLY want to be able to stay with CbB!

ROD

aidanodr
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/27 11:52:49 (permalink)
rodrebAfter trying everything I, and others could think of, I bought an i7 system with 16 ghz RAM and a Focusrite Scarlett USB interface. I still have the same problem.

And on the new system did you try SONAR before installing anything else on the system? So basically just WINDOWS fresh with Sonar, nothing else, maybe just one VST for testing?

rodreb
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/27 12:32:34 (permalink)
aidanodr: Yes. Actually, just SONAR with it's own stock plugins. 

ROD

poetnprophet
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/28 22:10:49 (permalink)
rodreb

Same here.  I tried everything, spent lots of $ and time, still had issues that even Bandlab gave up on (gee thanks).  For me, I moved to Reaper in June and have been happy since.  This is the first time I've had studio sessions go for hours and hours without a single hiccup, it's a nice feeling.  Even the old days of 8.5, I remember having to avoid certain functions because I knew it would cause a crash, such as V-Vocal (without freezing).  For me, stability is absolutely important right next to workflow.

Cakewalk by Bandlab
i7 8700k, 32GB, Win 10pro
MOTU 828es, VS700(idle)
Hulk 990, NT1A
Slate Digital, Izotope, Waves
www.kdubbproductions.com
https://www.bandlab.com/kdubbproductions 
Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/29 02:51:12 (permalink)
I am perfectly happy with Cakewalk by BandLab and could not care less about cross-platform as long as the result will play cross platform, which, of course it does.  I have tried most of them at one time or another, and find it hard to compare any of them to something I have used since early Cakewalk days. 

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: DAW Comparisons - best fit for Sonarians 2018/09/29 03:54:08 (permalink)
LOSTinSWIRL
Went to Studio One 4 myself. Love it. The arranger and the chord tracks are awesome. Have not tried Bandlab yet though.  I have Sonar Platinum still installed but haven't used it since the I got Studio One. To each his own. 

CbB improves considerably on Sonar. I feel Studio One and CbB are like having an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar. Superficially, they seem the same, but they fulfill different functions, and are best in different contexts.

SiberianKhatru59
Personally, I love Reason 10 and I've been a Reason user as long as I have used SONAR.  For a home tinkerer such as myself, it is an excellent value IMHO.  When I want to record myself on acoustic guitar, I reach for SONAR but when I want to record synths, acoustic and electric guitar, it's Reason for me.

Why not ReWire Reason into Sonar (or better yet...CbB)? Then you can have the best of what both can do. Back when Sonar was anemic in the virtual instruments department, rewiring Reason was like adding a super-cool instrument backline.

More and more, I'm becoming convinced that the route to musical nirvana is being fluent in more than one program. But I'm certainly thrilled that my fluency in Sonar wasn't for nothing, thanks to being resurrected as CbB.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1