Direct guitar

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: Direct guitar 2008/05/21 21:26:56 (permalink)
Strummy and I have a long history of going back and forth. Especially when it comes to beer, ale or spirits. I've been around a lot longer than my profile says. I hosed up my other profile last March by changing my email address. Never will do that again! Hey can't you at least get Sapporo?

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Direct guitar 2008/05/21 22:14:33 (permalink)
That would be an import in which case I'll take any number of others over the sapporo!

BOT, I chose the firewire setup so that I can record a band with drums if the situation arises. I actually like GT3 for the multi track stuff because it's so butt simple so I've stayed with it even though I've tried stuff like Cubase. I do wish they would make a GT4 though, I don't want new features, just safety when upgrading my OS. The Toneport doesn't allow for simultanius multi track in and out so even the 8 channel version would be off my list. ART has the new TubeFire though and it sells for under the $500 mark. They also have the MPA gold or digital gold, both of which have come down in price dramaticly.

It looks to me like the real advantage for the Toneport is the software bundle though. If you have to record guitar direct, I don't think you could find a more cost effective solution. I paid more for my Mesa V-Twin back in the mid '90s than you would have to pay for GT3 + the Toneport + a good hard drive. Ain't technology great!

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: Direct guitar 2008/05/22 11:22:12 (permalink)
Tecnology has come a long way all right. What would have cost me a minimum of high 5 digits low 6 digits 10 years ago can now be had for a fraction of the cost. I have more tied up in amps and guitars than software and computers for music. Amps are still pretty pricey for anything that has tubes.

Doc
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

cjlinus
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 446
RE: Direct guitar 2008/05/23 18:30:43 (permalink)
Doc,

your right about the amps. I just got word that Mike Clark (Clark Amps) finished my GA-30 and I should get that in a week or two. That's the reason I don't have any money to upgrade to Sonar. I used to record all of my guitars with just a mic and amp but since I've moved I switched to DI, I live in a duplex now and teh studio is on the adjoining wall. I have found some good sounds using revalver but I have to take the time to really dig to find something I like. Mostly I'm using the V-Twin because I can still use my stomp boxes with it. For fender type sounds I keep going back to the old ampsim plug, in a mix it does pretty good. I won't be getting the toneport because I have too much guitar oriented hardware/software as it is.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
Doc_Hollingsworth
RE: Direct guitar 2008/05/23 19:03:31 (permalink)
Cool. Would love to hear that Clark Amp! Three are quite a few good amp sims out there now. GTR from Waves, Amplitube from 1K, and a few others. With The presonus gear you should be able to plug into the instrument in and just go from there. It's nice these days though that a lot of amps are available with balanced XLR outs from the preamp. I've got one along with a TRS line out on my Marshall. But really for recording I usually use a modeler. I can get close to the same sound and with a bit of linear EQ I can bring the bottom end back in without issue.

Doc

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1