Disappeared

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 18:50:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Lanceindastudio

Even if he was kidding, and even if he said he was kidding, from some of the things he said, he shouldnt be offended AT ALL if they remove the thread.

Say whatever you want, but if this was my forum, and you said something oddly out of line or too much of a "bad flavor", especially if it has to do with shooting people, which really is no laughing matter considering things that have happened involving shooting, I would have no problem deleting that thread as it really has no place on the forum...

I actually thought he was funny until the shooting people thing came up.

I don't neccesarily agree completely but understand and respect your viewpoint. To be clear, i am not upset that CW killed the thread...it's their party.

[paternalistic mode]

(see folks, this is how civilized people can disagree and still have civilized conversations on internet forums)

[/paternalistic mode]

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Malibu1328
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 18:53:28 (permalink)
"You say you want a Revolution - well - we all wanna change the world"
"You tell me that it's evolution - well you know - we all wanna change the world"
Hmm...I forget the lyrics here
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 18:57:43 (permalink)
Hmm...I forget the lyrics here

Thats the problem being our age. LOL Its funny but because of this weird thread I have learn something. The Beatles have an answer for everything! I never knew that before.

Best
John
Malibu1328
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 19:03:22 (permalink)
"The world is treating me bad - Misery"

Hey John, you're right - Beatles have an answer to everything.
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 19:03:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL
We all live in a yellow submarine,
yellow submarine, yellow submarine,
We all live in a yellow submarine,
yellow submarine, yellow submarine.

(with built-in Sonar)

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
Malibu1328
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 19:28:01 (permalink)
"Now it's time to say goodnight - goodnight sleep tight"
"Now the sun turns out his light - goodnight sleep tight"
"Dreams sweet dreams for me"
"Dreams sweet dreams for you"
"Close your eyes and I'll close mine - good night sleep tight"
"Now the moon begins to shine - good night sleep tight"
"Dreams sweet dreams for you"
Marah Mag
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1000
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 21:42:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: papa2004

But I've tired of the BS and constant criticism of a program that actually works quite well for those who've taken the time to learn it...

You tiredness is obvious. But indulge me for a moment. Let's come at it from another angle.

There's a big difference between learning a program and learning to live with it.

Is it possible that criticism of the program isn't based on not having learned it, but rather on having learned it and encountering a limitation, maybe even a limitation of an otherwise advanced feature?

Characterizing criticism as whiney "BS" or a request for needless changes might not reflect on the critic's lack of knowledge, but on the limited use of the program by those who assume such requests come from other's ignorance. The fact that criticisms and suggestions are so commonly dismissed with sage-like references to how it used to be done back in the good old analog days speaks less to experience than to a lack of imagination. DAWs didn't exist in the analog days and those days are gone to all but boutique fetishists. (How should I dither when mastering to vinyl?)

Saying "spend a week in an analog studio to see what it's like" says nothing about a modern DAW, or about the merits of a suggestion, or how well the user has learned the program. But it says a ton about how well you've learned it... but have merely *learned* it... and how you're using it... but are merely using it.

The discussion yesterday about markers, and the idea that "it doesn’t get much simpler than that," and ridiculing the notion that anyone would actually know a project's marker numbers, while helpfully pointing to the marker number pad as a great feature, but ignoring how using it requires that you *do* know the marker numbers... is a nice example of how suggestions for improvements that you're unable to imagine, because of how well you've "learned" the program, sound like BS. It sounds like that because you don't "get" it. Maybe you've learned it too well.

That’s OK. No one is asking you to reply to these complaining BS FR posts. And you wouldn't have to use the feature, on the off chance it gets implemented. And there's little reason to fear that implementation would mess with your workflow, because Cakewalk is unlikely to do anything that would throw off its established user base -- which is WHY certain types of suggestions are so unlikely to ever get implemented. So like, what's the big deal?

post edited by Marah Mag - 2008/09/07 21:49:32
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 22:04:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah Mag

ORIGINAL: papa2004

But I've tired of the BS and constant criticism of a program that actually works quite well for those who've taken the time to learn it...

You tiredness is obvious. But indulge me for a moment. Let's come at it from another angle.

There's a big difference between learning a program and learning to live with it.

Is it possible that criticism of the program isn't based on not having learned it, but rather on having learned it and encountering a limitation, maybe even a limitation of an otherwise advanced feature?

Characterizing criticism as whiney "BS" or a request for needless changes might not reflect on the critic's lack of knowledge, but on the limited use of the program by those who assume such requests come from other's ignorance. The fact that criticisms and suggestions are so commonly dismissed with sage-like references to how it used to be done back in the good old analog days speaks less to experience than to a lack of imagination. DAWs didn't exist in the analog days and those days are gone to all but boutique fetishists. (How should I dither when mastering to vinyl?)

Saying "spend a week in an analog studio to see what it's like" says nothing about a modern DAW, or about the merits of a suggestion, or how well the user has learned the program. But it says a ton about how well you've learned it... but have merely *learned* it... and how you're using it... but are merely using it.

The discussion yesterday about markers, and the idea that "it doesn’t get much simpler than that," and ridiculing the notion that anyone would actually know a project's marker numbers, while helpfully pointing to the marker number pad as a great feature, but ignoring how using it requires that you *do* know the marker numbers... is a nice example of how suggestions for improvements that you're unable to imagine, because of how well you've "learned" the program, sound like BS. It sounds like that because you don't "get" it. Maybe you've learned it too well.

That’s OK. No one is asking you to reply to these complaining BS FR posts. And you wouldn't have to use the feature, on the off chance it gets implemented. And there's little reason to fear that implementation would mess with your workflow, because Cakewalk is unlikely to do anything that would throw off its established user base -- which is WHY certain types of suggestions are so unlikely to ever get implemented. So like, what's the big deal?

I think you know that you and I have had disagreements on some points but I have never said you don't know Sonar.
To me you can't offer a suggestion if you don't know the program. Some have asked for a feature that was in fact there but just didn't know it. You in my view do us all a service by pointing out improvements that could be made. So do all the others that do the same thing me included. I may not like what is asked for but in the end it serves us all that CW is made aware of a new idea. Heck I whence when a certain cheap DAW is used as an example but if it does something better it is only good to remind us that it can be done a better way.

You keep on being MM I like it that way. I hope you know that.

Best
John
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 23:01:53 (permalink)
No john, underground. The hills will go first.

Ever wonder what would happen if someone made a simple arithmetic mistake in the process of modelling out the response of creating a mini-black hole - say they got a sign reversed. Might not catch that one.

Turn CERN on and whoosh.
ORIGINAL: keith

ORIGINAL: jinga8
What the heck is going on? I'm confused. Not dazed. Just confused. Oh well, I'm sure they have a self-de-confusify forum out there somewhere. I'm gonna go find it.

I don't know, man.... All I do know is that Tom Brady has a knee injury... and we're T-3 days to the CERN LHC being turned on and the whole Earth being swallowed from the inside by a tiny black hole:

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/Welcome.html

This thread has covinced me: it's time to head for the hills!

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
RockStringBender
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 23:03:23 (permalink)
I took the OP as a scratch your head and wonder, "why do some extremely bizzare and destructive threads stay alive and others get recycle binned". The fact that the post in question was requested deleted is convenient to dismiss the topic, but you still have to wonder, how can some things stay in the data base and others get kicked out? What ARE the criteria, what is the thinking behind it? I find it interesting as well.

That's what makes forums like city hall: the peeps who actually make up the community live with what we get and the powers that be do not have to give a decent explaination for their actions or lack of action on anything.

Anyone else notice the total disappearance of a certain thread that was active less than 24 hours ago?

It was one of those threads that started off being about when Sonar 8 was coming out. Then it veered off topic and into general silliness because, well, a thread like that really has nowhere else to go, does it? It also took some turns into personal territory when some members commented on the posting style of another member. It was shortly after that that the entire thread was totally removed... not moved to the Off Topic area... not locked... but simply and totally deleted so that links to it now generate an error message.

I find this interesting.

Tons of threads go off topic. Lots of threads are off topic from their first post and continue that way for pages until they die a natural death. Lots of threads, some on topic and some off, get into the posting style of other members, sometimes quite heatedly. And some threads are originated for that very purpose. One such thread, asking who makes the most arrogant posts, is still active, is 7 pages long, and is currently listed on the main Sonar forum page.

I know of a thread from some months ago where, over a two or three hour period, a high-profile member, in an effort to pimp up his Soundclick numbers on the Christian Rock chart, made dozens of posts that directly and explicitly, in language that was both stalker-like and self-righteous, threatened another high-profile member with physical harm. That member was banned for 30 days before rising from the grave. But the thread is still there without a single post out of place.

Yet this thread from yesterday got summarily disappeared.

What was it about that thread that got that kind of attention? Who was able to make that happen? How and when are the terms of service enforced? What does it say about Cakewalk that entire threads on its product support forum can just arbitrarily go bye-bye?

Just thinking out loud.

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 23:10:04 (permalink)
Hmmm... well, that's a problem then... with mini-black holes the calculated values would be both positive and negative at the same time! See you on the other side!

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Ever wonder what would happen if someone made a simple arithmetic mistake in the process of modelling out the response of creating a mini-black hole - say they got a sign reversed. Might not catch that one.

Turn CERN on and whoosh.
What the heck is going on? I'm confused. Not dazed. Just confused. Oh well, I'm sure they have a self-de-confusify forum out there somewhere. I'm gonna go find it.

I don't know, man.... All I do know is that Tom Brady has a knee injury... and we're T-3 days to the CERN LHC being turned on and the whole Earth being swallowed from the inside by a tiny black hole:

spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/08 00:23:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Turn CERN on and whoosh.

Space! What are they puttin' in the water down in Tejas?! Montazuma is getting his revenge!
Houston, I think we have a problem!!!

keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/08 01:13:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spindlebox
Houston, I think we have a problem!!!

Not yet.... but we will... ohhh, we will, alright...

Cakewalk better release v8 before it's too late!
jinga8
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5817
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/08 09:14:14 (permalink)
gone to all but boutique fetishists.

That is the most judgemental, whiney, BS EVER!!! They are, of course, referred to as boutique enthusiasts..., or, perhaps, as "technophobic curmudgeons stuck in the 60's due to too much tripping" (I believe that is the name of their national association)
Marah Mag
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1000
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/08 11:09:07 (permalink)

gone to all but boutique fetishists.

That is the most judgemental, whiney, BS EVER!!! They are, of course, referred to as boutique enthusiasts...,

That's right. I forgot. My bad. (That's the first time I've ever said "my bad.")

or, perhaps, as "technophobic curmudgeons stuck in the 60's due to too much tripping" (I believe that is the name of their national association)

Hmmm... I always thought their national association was the Affiliated Societies of Surly Hotheaded Often Luddite Engineers.

(sorry... couldn't resist... no offense intended... please DELETE this!)

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: Disappeared 2008/09/08 11:49:38 (permalink)

or, perhaps, as "technophobic curmudgeons stuck in the 60's due to too much tripping" (I believe that is the name of their national association)

Hmmm... I always thought their national association was the Affiliated Societies of Surly Hotheaded Often Luddite Engineers.

(sorry... couldn't resist... no offense intended... please DELETE this!)

Wasn't it the Archaic Society for Silly and Historically Obsessed Lambasted Engineers?

UnderTow
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1