Disappeared

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Marah Mag
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1000
2008/09/07 11:25:31 (permalink)

Disappeared

Anyone else notice the total disappearance of a certain thread that was active less than 24 hours ago?

It was one of those threads that started off being about when Sonar 8 was coming out. Then it veered off topic and into general silliness because, well, a thread like that really has nowhere else to go, does it? It also took some turns into personal territory when some members commented on the posting style of another member. It was shortly after that that the entire thread was totally removed... not moved to the Off Topic area... not locked... but simply and totally deleted so that links to it now generate an error message.

I find this interesting.

Tons of threads go off topic. Lots of threads are off topic from their first post and continue that way for pages until they die a natural death. Lots of threads, some on topic and some off, get into the posting style of other members, sometimes quite heatedly. And some threads are originated for that very purpose. One such thread, asking who makes the most arrogant posts, is still active, is 7 pages long, and is currently listed on the main Sonar forum page.

I know of a thread from some months ago where, over a two or three hour period, a high-profile member, in an effort to pimp up his Soundclick numbers on the Christian Rock chart, made dozens of posts that directly and explicitly, in language that was both stalker-like and self-righteous, threatened another high-profile member with physical harm. That member was banned for 30 days before rising from the grave. But the thread is still there without a single post out of place.

Yet this thread from yesterday got summarily disappeared.

What was it about that thread that got that kind of attention? Who was able to make that happen? How and when are the terms of service enforced? What does it say about Cakewalk that entire threads on its product support forum can just arbitrarily go bye-bye?

Just thinking out loud.

75 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 11:29:16 (permalink)
    CW has every right to do what ever they may want on this forum. They own it.

Best
    John
    Marah Mag
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 11:35:29 (permalink)
    I am not in any way questioning Cakewalk's right to do anything they please. The thought never crossed my mind.
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 11:39:42 (permalink)
    Then I don't understand the point of your post. Or was it simply to inform us to the fact?

Best
    John
    Marah Mag
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 11:43:15 (permalink)
    No. I was just posting to hear myself talk. And to get my post count up. What other reason is there?
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 11:45:26 (permalink)
    I think I know the thread you mean - didn't the OP change the title to 'Cakewalk Please Delete This Thread'?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:05:50 (permalink)
    Sometimes I just wonder WHY things happen too. Apparently doing it loudly though can cause perplexity in some readers. Maybe threads should carry perplexity warnings or ratings.
    Perhaps marah Mag you could have started your thread with something like:

WARNING! The following thread contains material of a perplexing nature. Persons sensistive to perplexity should read with care or have an adult present with them. A number from 1 to 10 could be included to indicate the degree of perplexity associated with the thread 1 being the the least to 10 requiring at least the attendance of a counsellor at your side whilst reading the thread. Of course no discalimer would be necessary because we already understand that Cakewalk isn't responsibe for anything said on the forum by others
    But who would apply the rating? Should it be the moderators or should we be self determining? Now there's a quandry.
    And along with the wondering my post count goes up another one. How cool's that.

On a serious note though"
    Last year at this time we were less than 2 weeks from SONAR 7's offficial launch. Something strange going on this year. Didn't think that a few months ago but as we get closer to the usual SONAR release time i'm just wondering what's going on? If anything?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Hawky
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:23:41 (permalink)

Good post Mudgel. Yes, I saw that post and it seemed like originator was making some rather unusual remarks and should have remarked 'just kidding" or something. Then it seemed like everyone jumped on a comment by "pappa" that seemed to me rather harmless. Cakewalk even chimed in at that point but then it just spiraled out of control for a while before going away. However. it does seem like Cakewalk is monitoring these kind of posts pretty good IMHO. My suggestion:

So, when we see this starting to snowball again, those of us who just like to read the "short fused" responses and laugh our response should be to reply with a special character ot two like +=!
    This would be equivalent to saying "enough already!"

The reason I go to a forum is to seek answers to problems I am having or to help others with their issues.

Hawky

post edited by Hawky - 2008/09/07 12:33:20
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:38:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marah Mag

Anyone else notice the total disappearance of a certain thread that was active less than 24 hours ago?

It was one of those threads that started off being about when Sonar 8 was coming out. Then it veered off topic and into general silliness because, well, a thread like that really has nowhere else to go, does it? It also took some turns into personal territory when some members commented on the posting style of another member. It was shortly after that that the entire thread was totally removed... not moved to the Off Topic area... not locked... but simply and totally deleted so that links to it now generate an error message.

Very early this morning (around 2 a.m. Central) I noticed that the OP had requested that the thread be deleted (if the "thread" you refer to is the one I'm thinking about). I didn't read his request or any other of the posts that had been entered since yesterday. The main reason I didn't read any further posts was because my "original" reply to the OP was completely misconstrued and my subsequent explantions seemed only to "fan the flames" of those who thrive on contributing cynical and completely useless comments...

I know of a thread from some months ago where, over a two or three hour period, a high-profile member, in an effort to pimp up his Soundclick numbers on the Christian Rock chart, made dozens of posts that directly and explicitly, in language that was both stalker-like and self-righteous, threatened another high-profile member with physical harm. That member was banned for 30 days before rising from the grave. But the thread is still there without a single post out of place.

Perhaps Robby (or Robbie, however he spells his name these days) will offer a plausible explantation for his behavior and ask for forgiveness from those whom he offended (although I seriously doubt it)...

BTW, I was online during that "two or three hour period" and was witness to the masochistic, violent implications that were proposed by ROBBIE...FWIW, he didn't "rise from the grave", he merely used another email address to become a "different" member (purportedly his twin brother or cousin--who really cares)...His comments are, IMO, mostly useless in the "helpful" category and his sole purpose in being a part of these forums is to get more "clicks" on his SoundClick page (he seems obsessed with being #1 on the charts)...

Many months ago I listened to his songs...I suggested that he try to assume the persona of what his songs reflected...IMO, the "Mike Myers" avatars and "Yeah, baby" replies that he thinks make him "cool" are counter-productive to the style of music he's recording and the image a listener would expect...

Whatever, none of this really matters...Nor does, as of recently, any of this forum matter...I've pretty much given up on what these forums are becoming...I've offered all the help I can (and I don't need instructions about how to record a vocal track or how to get something as simple as Session Drummer 2 to work)...I don't find any "comfort" in people wanting a "one-button-does-it-all just like every other DAW program does" requests.

I'm completely comfortable (and very productive) with how my SONAR software works...If others need more, perhaps they should invest in another DAW application...All the "nit-picking" about trivial stuff has gotten ridiculous...Those who complain about such matters should be forced to work for a week in an analog-tape studio...Perhaps then those nay-sayers might appreciate what the digital world has to offer...

Reaper, Cubase, Logic, Pro-Tools, whatever...Use whatever you feel compelled to use by the needs of your particular project...

BTW, I'm fairly certain that "Yet this thread from yesterday got summarily disappeared" might be as confusing as why the "Echo Input" button has nothing to do with "Echo" as we know it...

Love ya, MM...But I've tired of the BS and constant criticism of a program that actually works quite well for those who've taken the time to learn it...

Regards,
    Papa
    UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:51:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

I think I know the thread you mean - didn't the OP change the title to 'Cakewalk Please Delete This Thread'?

"Cakewalk Please Delete This Post" :) I guess his wish was granted...

UnderTow
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:53:53 (permalink)
    I've pretty much given up on what these forums are becoming.

Yes, I remember a few months ago you created some cry-baby thread about you leaving this forum. Too bad you didn't keep your word.
    papa2004
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:54:33 (permalink)
    Seems others have chimed in whilst I spent an hour or so composing a carefully worded, appropriate reply that wouldn't offend EVERY forum member...

I still maintain my stance of (even jokingly) threatening to "shoot everybody" as being less than humorous...I don't find any humor in violence of any kind, be it shootings, beatings, child abuse, spousal abuse, rape, etc.,...I know (at least I think I do) that the OP was really just trying to be funny...Unfortunately, that particular attempt at humor affects some others much more than how it was intended...Count me as one of the "some others"....

Regards,
    Papa
    UnderTow
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 12:55:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papa2004

Love ya, MM...But I've tired of the BS and constant criticism of a program that actually works quite well for those who've taken the time to learn it...

I don't like the insinuation you make. I think Sonar can be improved massively but obviously some people are much less demanding than others and have much less experience with other applications so they just don't know what they are missing.

UnderTow
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 13:09:25 (permalink)
    Wow, Papa. Talk about going off on a tangent — on a subject that doesn't really relate anything other than your being disgusted with these forums. MM asked a simple question about threads being deleted, a totally relevent question, and a harmless curiosity.

They say, if you don't like what you're reading, watching on TV or hearing on the radio. TURN THE CHANNEL.

If you don't like what's going on in these forums, why do you torture yourself by coming back? I'm quite sure Cakewalk doesn't need users acting as police on these forums.

papa2004
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 13:24:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: UnderTow

I don't like the insinuation you make. I think Sonar can be improved massively but obviously some people are much less demanding than others and have much less experience with other applications so they just don't know what they are missing.

UnderTow

I made no "insinuations"...Can SONAR be improved? Certainly. Can any other DAW app be improved? Certainly.

Why must you (and others like you) continue posting on a "SONAR" forum if you truly don't like the product? I just don't get it. Use something else and don't be such a whiner. Better yet, why not "complain" to the technicians/developers who might actually be able to do something about your desires?

Nobody has forced you to use SONAR. If you think you made a mistake by purchasing it, write it off as "lesson learned" and go somewhere else.

TO: Marah Mag...Still "luv 'ya"...I don't always agree with you, but I think you're a very intelligent person so please accept any comments I make as just my own preferences and opinions, not any reflection on your character or musical/engineering knowledge...

To the rest...SEE YA! and F*** OFF! (Bar me, Cakewalk, I really don't care anymore)...

Regards,
    Papa
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 13:27:04 (permalink)
    To me this was an innocent thread. Yet it too has devolved into non since. I still don't get the point of the thread but it shouldn't be a license to rant.

Sonar is good as it is and it could be improved. Argue with that.

Best
    John
    papa2004
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 13:34:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spindlebox

Wow, Papa. Talk about going off on a tangent — on a subject that doesn't really relate anything other than your being disgusted with these forums. MM asked a simple question about threads being deleted, a totally relevent question, and a harmless curiosity.

They say, if you don't like what you're reading, watching on TV or hearing on the radio. TURN THE CHANNEL.

If you don't like what's going on in these forums, why do you torture yourself by coming back? I'm quite sure Cakewalk doesn't need users acting as police on these forums.

So sad...You really didn't read my post, did you? There was no "going off on a tangent" involved...FWIW, MM's post wasn't a "simple question"...It was an in-depth "inquiry" about the "state" of the forums (which I did not disagree with)...Do you people read one sentence and then make judgements?

If I were to listen to your music, would you want me to judge your talents on the basis of listening to one bar?

Regards,
    Papa
    Marah Mag
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 13:59:07 (permalink)

All the "nit-picking" about trivial stuff has gotten ridiculous...Those who complain about such matters should be forced to work for a week in an analog-tape studio...Perhaps then those nay-sayers might appreciate what the digital world has to offer...

hehehehe That's sort of like saying... hmmm... let's see.... "those who don't like sitting in traffic jams should be forced to walk to work for a week... perhaps then those nay-sayers might appreciate what the automotive world has to offer"... or maybe... "those who don't like standing and waiting at supermarket check outs should be forced to live with the Amish for a week and grow their own food... perhaps then then they'll appreciate what industrial society has to offer." It doesn't really make a whole lotta sense. But I could be wrong -- I've been up all night slaving over tape scraps with a razor blade in one hand and a grease pencil in the other, so things might look different after I've had some sleep (though I wouldn't count on it.)

If I were to listen to your music, would you want me to judge your talents on the basis of listening to one bar?

Well, one bar would at least be a start, and better than judging my talent based on not listening to it at all and instead relying on my signal flow description. But then, if I knew that would be your approach, your judgement wouldn't be of much interest to me in the first place. So I guess it works out in the end.

spindlebox
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 13:59:49 (permalink)
    I do agree with you there, Papa. It is sad. Sad that these forums turn into such a sad state of affairs, especially since they're intended to help each other do something we get much joy out of, and instead turn into a platform for miserable people to vent.

papa2004
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:17:05 (permalink)
    Well, one bar would at least be a start, and better than judging my talent based on not listening to it at all and instead relying on my signal flow description. But then, if I knew that would be your approach, your judgement wouldn't be of much interest to me in the first place. So I guess it works out in the end.

I actually thought you'd "get it"...I guess I was wrong...

Regards,
    Papa
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:17:14 (permalink)
    What the heck is going on? I'm confused. Not dazed. Just confused. Oh well, I'm sure they have a self-de-confusify forum out there somewhere. I'm gonna go find it.
    UnderTow
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:27:53 (permalink)

I made no "insinuations"

"a program that actually works quite well for those who've taken the time to learn it... "

Do you even realise what you write?

Why must you (and others like you) continue posting on a "SONAR" forum if you truly don't like the product? I just don't get it.

That much is clear. Besides your obvious non sequitur, wanting to improve the product is clear evidence that we like it! You seem more concerned about any criticism of a product you have chosen than improving it. THAT I really don't get.

Use something else and don't be such a whiner.

It is not whining. That is your limited imagination and insecurity twisting things.

Better yet, why not "complain" to the technicians/developers who might actually be able to do something about your desires?

Again you jump to erroneous conclusions. How are you to know that there is no communication going on with the developers?

Nobody has forced you to use SONAR.

And no one is forcing you to participate in this forum. You should follow your own advice from time to time.

If you think you made a mistake by purchasing it, write it off as "lesson learned" and go somewhere else.

You really can't see that people want to improve things BECAUSE they like the product and the company? And you really can't see that in some areas, Sonar could do with A LOT of improvements? That is your limitation. Stop calling people that want improvements whiners. That just makes you an arse and shows your limited imagination and intelligence.

To the rest...SEE YA! and F*** OFF!

Deep down, you are not a very nice person are you?

You have this holier than thou attitude and I can tell you it is utterly misplaced.

UnderTow
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:29:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jinga8
    What the heck is going on? I'm confused. Not dazed. Just confused. Oh well, I'm sure they have a self-de-confusify forum out there somewhere. I'm gonna go find it.

I don't know, man.... All I do know is that Tom Brady has a knee injury... and we're T-3 days to the CERN LHC being turned on and the whole Earth being swallowed from the inside by a tiny black hole:

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/Welcome.html

This thread has covinced me: it's time to head for the hills!
    John
    Forum Host
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:30:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jinga8

I hope its "that time of year" only! Oh well here we go again. Sonar 8, PLEASE!

Best
    John
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:50:37 (permalink)
    I was wondering about that thread too... There's a listen in this:

Stir up trouble, and ya just might get Hoffa'ed.

JD
    spindlebox
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:50:49 (permalink)
    'click'
    'click'
    there's no place like home
    'click'
    'click'
    there's no place like home
    'click'
    'click'
    there's no place like home . . . .

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:53:43 (permalink)
    Sound waves are vibrations in the air. Sound waves are generated by anything that vibrates; a vibrating object causes the air next to it to vibrate, and the vibration is passed through the air in all directions. When the vibrating air enters your ear, it makes your eardrum vibrate, and you hear a sound. Likewise, if the vibrating air hits a microphone, it causes the microphone to vibrate and send electrical signals to whatever it's connected to.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 14:58:20 (permalink)
    Original papa 2004:
    To the rest...SEE YA! and F*** OFF! (Bar me, Cakewalk, I really don't care anymore)...

Very nice. Why don't you show your post to those two little girls, I'm sure they would be very proud of you!
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 15:02:51 (permalink)
    Just wanted to say that I noticed it too...and figured the OP's request was granted. It is CW's forum but I agree...sometimes it seems arbitrary. In this politically correct world I imagine that thread was killed because of the "I'm from Egypt and I'm gonna start shooting if I don't get something"...even though it was a comment I took to be in humor, nothing more.

RE: The previous thread you mentioned...I presume that was the "robby" thread? Surprised the thread is there and that he only got 30 days...

FWIW...in regards to another post on this thread....I appreciate your posts criticizing SONAR...you have made me realize a lot of things that are "missing" because you experiment with a lot of other programs and I don't. I basically take advantage of your feature request posts to know what I am missing...

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Disappeared 2008/09/07 15:04:07 (permalink)
    Well said.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1