AnsweredDo we OWN our project files?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/15 18:52:36 (permalink)
 Most of us never encounter Sonars bugs because of the simple way in which we use it. That has always been Sonars appeal to me. It gives me a lot more than I'll ever use and if I needed it there. But I certainly have stayed on top of features that are well documented to cause issue. Example, don't try and apply Melodyn to a whole track. 

As a Sonar users we all sort of collectively know what features are buggy and either use with caution or avoid.  

Many of these other DAW's might be more stable, I don't know.. I'm sure all software has bugs. But myself I would not have used Sonar if I was planning on using a lot of Automation because, ya,, it's buggy as all get out. 

I hope this tool does work because I think it's a cool idea and will be very popular in the transition period. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/15 19:15:31 (permalink)
This has turned into a very interesting read.  It's obvious Azslow doesn't want to ave to apy for advice, I wonder if there is some type of legal forum in the EU where he could post this question and get some help.  I think his translator would be amazing and I'd certainly be willing to pay for a copy.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
Musikman
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/15 23:30:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/01/16 15:19:25
Brando
The utility also has its most significant value now and in the near future as a tool to help current users move to another DAW, in this case Reaper.

The thing to note here as Brando mentioned, is that a tool to help current users migrate their Sonar Projects over to another DAW would be most useful now and in the near future, but probably not far beyond that. If I were to use such a tool, once all my projects were successfully transferred over, I would likely no longer ever need to use the tool again, unless I keep creating new projects using Sonar, if it hasn't already become obsolete.

Did I miss it, or did anyone mention which of Sonar's Plugins we would be able to load into a different DAW? I use DimPro and Rapture extensively in my projects, and usually immediately convert those MIDI tracks into audio when finished. I do like a lot of the other CW plugins that came with Sonar Platinum, but does anyone have knowledge of which plugins will load to another DAW?....is there a list of which ones can and which ones can't?? I would appreciate if someone from CW (or anyone else who knows) could please post that list here if possible. Thanks!

MM

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64bit, AMD FX 6300 6 Core, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9-380
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/16 00:34:13 (permalink)
Musikman
The thing to note here as Brando mentioned, is that a tool to help current users migrate their Sonar Projects over to another DAW would be most useful now and in the near future, but probably not far beyond that. If I were to use such a tool, once all my projects were successfully transferred over, I would likely no longer ever need to use the tool again, unless I keep creating new projects using Sonar, if it hasn't already become obsolete.

While some people are in kind of "panic", I guess many just continue making music. I see such tool as :
* an "airbag". I normally feel myself better when I can use the information when I need it, including another application (in my case,  that is the source code with another compiler. I have more programs then songs ). That does not mean I permanently switch programs I use, but just a possibility to do this without a pain.
* backup. When some project is over, the preservation comes in question. Without converter, everything should be exported as MIDI/WAV/FX presets. That takes time and still loose integrity. If opening in other application more or less works, open/check/save in another format takes almost no time and I know the information is "safe". Also no reason to hurry even after switching DAWs, when everything is one click away from the transfer.
** if sufficient features can be transported, learning. By opening something known, it is easer to understand how it looks like in the "foreign" environment.  But I am far away from that stage.

Did I miss it, or did anyone mention which of Sonar's Plugins we would be able to load into a different DAW?

Here is one of the posts... http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3718399

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/17 09:55:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby panup 2018/01/17 11:33:21
Brando
... And - not to get even more pedantic, I would say that it would be hard for Cakewalk to prove they have more right of ownership to individual CWP files than the user - who clearly has (sole) rights to the contained content.

This. Plus, why in this or any world would a large company, up to its ears in debt, waste money on lawyers to try to prove a questionable legal point, in a foreign country governed by EU law which is definitely more focused on consumer protection than US law, in order to defend their rights to software they have already abandoned, evidently because it was losing money, by going after an individual who has pretty clearly stated he is no intention of making a commercial product? Ok, he's suggested he might make it donationware. But again, he's not trying to reverse engineer the code, or break the copy protection. He's trying to produce a tool to help people extract our own intellectual property from a container format that Gibson has already abandoned.

As I and others have said, no, I'm not a lawyer, but I do know a number of them, and one of the things they tend to say rather a lot is, don't throw good money after bad. I imagine they would give the same advice to Gibson - who clearly have much, much bigger problems to deal with.

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
jude77
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/17 15:36:29 (permalink)
subtlearts
why in this or any world would a large company, up to its ears in debt, waste money on lawyers to try to prove a questionable legal point, in a foreign country governed by EU law which is definitely more focused on consumer protection than US law, in order to defend their rights to software they have already abandoned, evidently because it was losing money, by going after an individual who has pretty clearly stated he is no intention of making a commercial product? Ok, he's suggested he might make it donationware. But again, he's not trying to reverse engineer the code, or break the copy protection. He's trying to produce a tool to help people extract our own intellectual property from a container format that Gibson has already abandoned.

Perfectly said. 

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/17 17:25:29 (permalink)
azslow3
In short. In case I will use the information from CWP file, in particular to open CWP files in Reaper, is that going to be legal?

In details.
We do NOT OWN CW software nor any part of it. And we are not allowed to RE/modify/etc. any bundled with Sonar code. That is in EULA and there is no questions about that part.

But WE OWN WAVS, MIDI, FLAC and other media files which Sonar produce. At the end, that is why we have payed for the license to use Sonar (plug-ins, etc). So we can do whatever we like with these files. We can use them in other DAWs, we can split them into bits, modify, sell, etc.

CWP files are also "media" files. They have the information how we have named out tracks, fade-in/fade-outs, automations, which settings we was using for the project and plug-ins, MIDI data, etc.
CWP files do not contain any CODE (at least it looks so).
CWP files are not "encrypted" (breaking any encryption is illegal).

But...
At least some "presets" from CW contain IP, as was mentioned in the forum before (f.e. FX chains from Craig).
There are many precedences that formats can be "protected" by something, f.e. mp3 not so long time ago.

So far, by deep Googling, I came to the conclusion that at least in Europe (and I am in Europe) file formats can not be patented. Restrictions can be on the DATA usage, but data in my case are solely made by users (using Sonar) directly or by Sonar on behalf of users. Restrictions can be on algorithms for using the data (like with mp3), but it seems like not the case with data in question.

But I am not a lawyer. In case someone has opinions (better with references...), please let me know.

As already discussed in several other threads, when a program development is stopped, people start to think about data preservation. While we can save WAVs and MIDI, there is a bit more information in our projects.

AHHH WHAT!!!???

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
azslow3
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/19 18:46:11 (permalink)
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Here is the EULA. Note the standard reverse assembly sections. http://store.steampowered.com/eula/241070_eula_0
So in theory this isn't kosher to do. Besides it would be incredibly difficult to actually do a full translator. Several years ago I was collaborating with a company who wanted to do just this and started writing up a specification. However since our file format is a modern object oriented chunked based (forward and backwards compatible) format, its very hard to write up without providing the actual code. Reverse assembling the file would be prohibitively difficult since each object has its own persistence history of versioned chunks.

I'm impressed that you want to try doing this but even if I wanted to do it myself it would be incredibly hard. I wouldn't recommend wasting your life on this :) Even something basic like pulling volume levels and parameter info for tracks would be very tricky since that data is all in a sub document within the project file. Each parameter is keyed by a bunch of guids etc which makes it pretty hard to find.

Update. After such recommendation, I have decided to check that I can get "essential pack" of parameters before I start to use it (converting to something different). By "essential" I mean that even in case I will stuck with something else, I do not see that as a show stopper (much simpler to fix by hands after then "essential" staff).
And at the moment I have:
* strip information (no fader/pan levels, sends nor routing... I guess that will is not difficult to retrieve, but not "essential")
* clips. Audio and MIDI, theoretically also grooved. With core parameters (fades, position, lane, mute). No AudioSnap or extended grooving parameters (not "essential").
* FX chains (strip and clip). Down to "CW preset" (as found in SPP and other places), that is the only part to clarify before "essential" is complete. But strictly speaking that is not CWP.
* SynthRack (the same as with FX chains).
* automations. Clip and Tracks, standard and FX parameters.
I have not found anything "incredibly hard", not even simply "hard".
Also, while I was using X2 CWP files, the result shows no problem with Platinum CWP files (not yet intensively checked).

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
azslow3
So, in short. Are you "do not recommend to do this" or "forbid to do this"? That is the major question.

Its not up to me azslow, I'm not a lawyer and Cakewalk the company has stopped. However Gibson or another company that potentially acquires the assets and wants to continue the product could take issue with an unauthorized translator even if you could manage to do one so you would have to be prepared to deal with that.
You are a smart dude and I'm sure you could get far with the basic transfer of tracks and audio and maybe even plugin data but a full blown translator that can take a project and make it sound the same in another DAW is a pipe dream. Even the guys who were in the business of doing just that who we were working with couldn't do it.

Since I still do not see technical problems, original question is the only unclear preposition for final decisions.

CW/Gibson is giving Home Studio for free and was giving CA-2A for free. Why not allow some translator? Also in case CW wants "protect" some parts (I have hard time to imagine which, but still), do not want the translator is open source (that I can imagine) or has some other wishes about it, we can discuss that.

The alternative... I was reading EULA several times. Still I have not found anything which can be interpreted as forbidding to open CWP (or other OUTPUT) files in a HEX editor. Corresponding restriction unambiguously mention "the product or any part of it". Output files was not in the product (I was not using CW demo files). And I have not opened in hex editor, debugger, tracer, etc. ANYTHING except my own generated CWP with strictly my own generated clips.
Finally, I am convinced now that in EU opening files which contain no code and which are not encrypted can not be forbidden even explicitly.

But I would prefer to do it in "clean" conditions, if that is possible.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
jude77
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/19 21:36:19 (permalink)
Man, if you've gotten this far in the project that's amazing!!  Press on!

ptheisen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/20 01:51:49 (permalink)
FWIW Azslow3, in my opinion as a non-lawyer, the closest comparison that can be made to your situation is the one that  someone made earlier with Microsoft Word and Corel Word Perfect . Both of the respective companies (and others as well) have developed code to read and write each other's output file formats (.doc and .wpd), and as far as I know, nobody sued anybody over it. They sued each other for different things, such as copying Word's ribbon concept in Word Perfect, but not over reading and writing each other's output file formats. So, again in my opinion, I think you are safe to continue this quest if you so desire, and I hope you succeed.

By the way, are you still planning to port AZController to Reaper? I'm hoping you are, because even with an existing dedicated third-party app for the Alphatrack in Reaper, there are a few things that need fixing, and I'll bet AZController could do it!
azslow3
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/21 21:33:07 (permalink)
ptheisen
By the way, are you still planning to port AZController to Reaper?

That is the plan... for this year. Full version will take a lot of time, but I do not exclude some partial port first.

For the parser:
* presets cleared (down to chunks required to build Reaper FX blobs, there are still some questions but they are actual only for the other side...)
* strip parameters (level, pan, phase, gain, mute). Noel has mentioned someone had problems with that. I have no idea why.

I must admit that for parsing binary formats some "matrix" skills are required. I mean the person should be able looking and HEX representation recognize doubles, UIDs, lists, arrays, maps, etc. But that is not SciFi, there are more people then just Neo and Trinity which can do that
For casual listeners, music is also just a pleasant (or not) sequence of sounds. Other immediately recognize style, harmony, rhythm, instruments, amps. Down to problems with mixing and mastering. And no-one say they are "cheating" or violate "listening EULA" because they hear all that details. I am not so good in music, but I am from the HEX world.

Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/21 22:00:14 (permalink)
I've gotten into the habit of converting all of my MIDI files into WAVs and doing the mix using all WAV files.  This way it doesn't matter what DAW I find myself using years from now. I might have different plugins, but I'll always have the WAVs.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
Sir Les
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1182
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/21 23:27:59 (permalink)
Well here is the agreement...ula or eula..agreement...to use the licence if you click yes and install...That part is in agreement of the user of the software and code for the tools.

Where it also goes grey and between the lines...If you did not agree to the EULA or install their licence...

Now the grey area is...If you have a cwb or cwp file...Given but do not own the rights to licence or agreement of the agreed use of their code....Can you retrieve the Music that does not belong to be held captive in a container bottle, it is put by the agreed upon use by another...but not the one who wants to export it out to another software their music , of which CW cannot hold as bound or binding as theirs...or in any way prevent it from being owned by the music maker...being a user...not necessarily the user of said agreed agreement.

So grey it is....if you seek to sell...and you nibbled any code, if trade agreements are not totally in agreement in other countries...grey areas....Then...it is grey, but CW cannot hold bound in format, what does not belong to them, as claimed...they cannot own, nor bind the file, if the one making the program to unbind...did not agree by clicking...I agree.

Even if they change the agreement...don't read it....another grey area....lol

I think Aslow3 has the right attitude...and wants to help his way.

I said some smart kid would come.....Well worth the wait....and so refreshing to see...
Imagine if he / or someone liken..was working in the CW camp bake...things might be so different today.

Now about law, and living things...with words about life time updates for a product of usery licence....my life, and those bakers,company workers...sure flew, and still live...breaking my agreement.....and using a grey area....did not honour my agreement.

Go Aslow3!

Cheers.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
Sir Les
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/21 23:37:45 (permalink)
PSS...donations are not payment...so another grey area might be a path...or freely distributed for...again so many grey areas.

not because it is hard...but because some can do...and if they love what they do , just to do it because they can...why stop them?...to the moon and beyond?...a president once said...?...question is was it hollywood made>?<grey areas eh?...yeah greys...but let it not stop us from doing good works because it is the right thing to do...is give because it is in us to do also...hope!

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

Sir Les
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 00:15:52 (permalink)
Another grey area...if you or anyone else, if something is said dead...raised back to life if bugs occur in future...to continue the fixing processes of a life time user's use, not forth coming from the bakers and agreed usery of licence paid life time upgrades for fixing bug issue on so said OS it is supposed to work upon...if change occurs of said OS, which renders the usery unusable....nibbling a codex to fix not steal or pirate..leaving only a credit onto further life of a product of life time updates made by a living entity for users ...is not a crime!

Sir Les
Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 00:37:40 (permalink)
embellish
verb  em·bel·lish  \ im-ˈbe-lish \
Popularity: Top 40% of words |Updated on: 19 Dec 2017
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF

TRENDING NOW:surrogate motherfurloughpopinjaylibelSEE ALL

Tip: Synonym Guide 
Examples: embellish in a Sentence
Editor's Note: Did You Know? 

Definition of embellishtransitive verb
1: to make beautiful with ornamentation : decorate 
  • a bookembellished with illustrations

2: to heighten the attractiveness of by adding decorative or fanciful details : enhance 
  • embellished our account of the trip

• 1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.

Sir Les
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 00:39:12 (permalink)
    Words, and the use of them....Truth be told...Stay on track...no lies, no liars...And no worries!

Sir Les
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 00:45:59 (permalink)
    Righteousness...another word of the day...you know lawyers must uphold..the people's best interest...not the thing!

Sir Les
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 00:59:07 (permalink)
    By their own agreement made dead....then the agreement also is dead to life time updates...is impossible to make dead....life...it is always a living thing....So to honour it they must!...or it goes to enhanced by another, is totally legal, if paid for those terms, does not matter who does enhance or embellishes to keep it working as agreed by the payment for to use that licence...longevity is with the agreement of user with living entities!!!!...life, they should not of used that word in any agreement for usery to honour fixes for, to use a legal term for company or product having none!...I expressed this when being promoted...and the ideal of bribery...showing a misleading...look what we are working on...to bait in for cash...could be fuel for fodder....so legal...and terms of agreements..bound by words...meaning is grey....life has not been defined properly, nor is it all proper working yet....reminders of definition..is not determined by corp or lawyers babble...it is defined by Linguistics of bound meanings of known meanings founded by people living for use the meanings of....do not make yes mean no...or good be bad, or bad be good..to suit the self interest...when sold to masses to use in agreements for...if it is to be used upon..under licence agreement of paid to use for life of user, gaing fixes for paid up front by agreement to get done by the agreed parties!

I agreed to life time updates....so did they!...I was in understanding this product to be Cakewalk...not Gibson, which is not withstanding, in my agreement of use of cakewalk products sold or bound under these agreements...life has nothing to do with dead things...product has no living attributes under that meaning for life...it is defined only by living entities having life or death...."Principle"....another word!
    post edited by Sir Les - 2018/01/22 01:21:12

Sir Les
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 02:01:19 (permalink)
    Now if Gibson owned this company..and murdered it..yet holds their and our user interest at bay....not honouring the agreements to carry over onto what they say is owned by them as code paid for life time updates...the licence is also owned by user under agreement to have life time updates which were paid in advance forwarded for life of usery of user licences paid for!...fixing any bugs in, and any to come by change of os or updates of other in machine or parts drivers or other things of the machine the codex works or kind of works upon , yet has bugs, or bugs are in to needs constant fixes for!.As has been witnessed since its conception as needing!..By law of their own words owned, and agreed upon...so the licence is bound by those agreed, and the third parties not held but own or are tied there in bound of said agreements!...user should not walk away to another signage or port over ...but stand as user, and force the Principle!

Sir Les
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 02:12:38 (permalink)
    If the principle is not withheld by all parties...the eula is also not withstanding of any licence agreement ..as it is nul and voided by..owner....Not user...User has no EULA for it is broken by owner...even if they own the codex...the agreements agreed to are no longer withstanding by their own doing it to be dead...the also if you have the codex, you can nibble the code with not withstanding under any agreement, if the primary holders no longer suit the interested licence terms of agreement...it is broken Eula...to use under those terms...so go and nibble, hack and fix to enhance the user base of honouring what they did not honour!...what court would not see this..if you use those terms they put, yet still needs fixing...they may own the old code...but the new code is now in grey area to any one who wants to fix it..if found broken or error in any of that code!..one must read it to know...nothing wrong in reading it...and fixing to enhance any error.

Sir Les
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 03:16:10 (permalink)
    See it liken this...if some did pay for life time updates...and agreement was met by these paid parties...it does not matter who updates the licence or the code...as long as it is for life done as agreed....By those parties agreeing!...if they walk away from that agreement ...They break it...But if you fix it the code, you honour the part agreed to...then no law can sue, no party on its own can take that ..if they broke the agreement of, and  broke up due to capital, which is not a living entity or reason to disband the company and entities whom were in that agreement of with.....User has rights to agreements honoured by any of the paid and signed to that agreement was was offered as..is honoured by...Entities of the living and bound by law...Parties of...and in there in...You have rights to updates....for life!

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 07:42:17 (permalink)
    Well, all that makes sense.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 08:04:51 (permalink)
    I think it's written in French and the translated.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    subtlearts
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 13:39:06 (permalink)
    ptheisen
    By the way, are you still planning to port AZController to Reaper? I'm hoping you are, because even with an existing dedicated third-party app for the Alphatrack in Reaper, there are a few things that need fixing, and I'll bet AZController could do it!

Yes, the AlphaTrack preset for the AZ Controller is great, and of course you can do pretty much whatever you want with the plugin, so I'm happy to know it will make its way to Reaper at some point. But I'm glad you drew my attention to the existing AlphaTrack Pro plugin for Reaper, as it's also great, quite deep and configurable - a bit different so takes some getting used to, but for the moment, I'm glad to have more functionality out of the AT than what Reaper provides natively. Thanks for the tip!

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 13:50:28 (permalink)
    ampfixer

I think it's written under the influence, and not translated

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    azslow3
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 18:08:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2018/01/22 20:55:51
    subtlearts
    ptheisen

Yes, the AlphaTrack preset for the AZ Controller is great, and of course you can do pretty much whatever you want with the plugin, so I'm happy to know it will make its way to Reaper at some point. But I'm glad you drew my attention to the existing AlphaTrack Pro plugin for Reaper, as it's also great, quite deep and configurable - a bit different so takes some getting used to, but for the moment, I'm glad to have more functionality out of the AT than what Reaper provides natively. Thanks for the tip!

Reaper community has many active developers and API is always up to date (Reaper can "generate" corresponding source file). So there are several projects ongoing, some are surfaces oriented. Unlike with Sonar, there is some "competition" for me

Brando
    ampfixer

I do not think that is the first time you see his posts. There are most of the time cryptic, but have sense.
    I guess this bunch of posts has the following meaning:
    "If Gibson/CW think it is ok to sell Lifetime Updates and abandon the development in less then a year, just using the fact they have (almost...) never promised particular nor minimal length of the "lifetime", following the same logic, since in EULA nothing is explicitly written about any output files, it should be ok to parse them." In other words, parsing CWP is not more "gray" then what CW has done with users.

And I see that point as: an attempt to attack (foreign) legal customer of "lifetime updates" for questionable violations of not explicitly written rules concerning output files from abruptly abandoned project sounds rather risky idea.

Ok, point taken. Thanks

For the progress.
    Routing in CWP is saved in Sir Les style 
    Normal audio routing is clarified (including sends), I still have to look at SynthRack (Audio input, Synth audio and MIDI in general is not in audio patch-bay). I plan to skip DM, freeze and MIDI track settings till after the first prototype, but I have decided that general routing is good to have from the beginning.

subtlearts
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 21:43:38 (permalink)
    azslow3
    Brando
    ampfixer

I do not think that is the first time you see his posts. There are most of the time cryptic, but have sense.
    I guess this bunch of posts has the following meaning:
    "If Gibson/CW think it is ok to sell Lifetime Updates and abandon the development in less then a year, just using the fact they have (almost...) never promised particular nor minimal length of the "lifetime", following the same logic, since in EULA nothing is explicitly written about any output files, it should be ok to parse them." In other words, parsing CWP is not more "gray" then what CW has done with users.

Alexey, you're a more patient man than I am (though to be honest that's not really saying much) but I suspect you have it about right. I sometimes have a hard time ploughing through "cryptic" posts - whether they are deliberately obfuscated or merely the product of (how to say this?) a freely wandering poetic mind. A long time ago I had a friend who was a technical writer, and she told me her method of assessing clarity in writing was something along the lines of, "Do you want me to understand what you are saying? If so, make it clear and precise; if not, f%$k off and stop wasting my time!"... This always struck me as good advice, though it hasn't kept me from making some rambling posts of my own from time to time...

Normal audio routing is clarified (including sends), I still have to look at SynthRack (Audio input, Synth audio and MIDI in general is not in audio patch-bay). I plan to skip DM, freeze and MIDI track settings till after the first prototype, but I have decided that general routing is good to have from the beginning.

Again, you're a patient man!... By the way I'd be very happy to do some testing for you whenever you get to an alpha stage, and I'll even try to give you, ermm, clear and precise feedback!

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    ptheisen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 21:45:35 (permalink)
    subtlearts

But I'm glad you drew my attention to the existing AlphaTrack Pro plugin for Reaper, as it's also great, quite deep and configurable - a bit different so takes some getting used to, but for the moment, I'm glad to have more functionality out of the AT than what Reaper provides natively. Thanks for the tip!

If I'm the one that got you connected with AlphaTrack Pro, even though I didn't name it specifically, then I'm glad I could help.

The one definite weakness that I experience with AlphaTrack Pro is related to the plug-in tab. Though plug-in parameters are well mapped to the rotary encoders, and parameters that use continuous data work well, the vast majority of parameters that are buttons or selectors, meaning they have just two or maybe several discrete states, do not work, turning or pushing the encoder has no effect on the parameter. Do you also see this?
    subtlearts
    Re: Do we OWN our project files? 2018/01/22 22:08:27 (permalink)
    Yes, your post indirectly alerted me to it. And yes, I've noticed it doesn't seem to handle discretized controls very well. Alexey's plugin does that and pretty much everything else, so hopefully it makes the transition at some point! In the meantime, the AT Pro plugin is pretty good. 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1