Dream girl, **Final remix** 4/30

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
rockinrobby
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/26 19:50:06 (permalink)
For the geeks who may enjoy it, (I know Janet does) a picture of all of the midi in piano roll view, it's the piano and the drums and orchestra :-)

The two at the bottom are pedal (I'm using it as you can see...) and velocity above it.

post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/04/26 19:51:17

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/26 19:57:57 (permalink)
Aren't you glad I showed you how to do that?  :)  I've never seen the velocity CC. I guess I should have known it was there though.  Why is it darker in the middle? 
rockinrobby
Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/27 02:14:20 (permalink)
whack

Loved it, I got that disney vibe off it wether you were lookin for that or not, but I love that s**t. I must say too the mix is so easy on the ear, which is cleary conveyed in your waveform.

Cian

Cian, it's a small world afterall? :-) Thanks!

vechung
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 818
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/27 09:56:54 (permalink)
I like it better this way.  But for the drums I would keep it more grandiouse by slowing the hi-hat. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
JD1813
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 813
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/27 12:22:18 (permalink)
Janet

Aren't you glad I showed you how to do that?  :)  I've never seen the velocity CC. I guess I should have known it was there though.  Why is it darker in the middle? 

Really enjoyed this listen, and I can see why everyone's comments are raving.  Love the piano and orchestrations.  I must have really crappy phones here at work cause the vocals came out all distorted and fuzzy.  But wanted Janet to see I also looked at the MIDI chart you showed and am looking at the pedals and velocity - with great interest.  Really an awesome job on this, I can see the tons of work that went into it!

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/28 00:58:23 (permalink)
markno999

Robby,

Quite nice song, orchestration, vocals, etc....   Couple nits I wouldn't even bring up except I think you have a quite exceptional song here.

I would add a sustain pedal to the piano at the intro and a few parts throughout where the piano drops off. 

It sounds like there is something funky happening at 1:30 where the drums and bass come in.   Listening through headphones but it sounds like a bass note is off or something.  

I also would like to hear a French Horn in your orchestration.   It would add another nice layer of movement.  Silent Lucidity by Queenscryche is a good example of the French Horn in a rock orchestration...

Like the concept of drums in this tune, but I would keep them simpler and use them to bring power, not ornamentation, to the sections where you use drums.  For example, the roll going into the 2 minute marker is nice, but the subsequent rolls at 2:02 and the beat throw off the timing to me at that point in the song.  I would also keep the drums going from 2:02 all the way through 2:30 where you return to the slower movement again.  Also during the guitar solo, the drums draw attention away from the solo.  I would keep them simple and straight.

Everything else is really good.  Really enjoyed the song and performance quite a lot....

Regards
Mark, I can't thank you enough for the detailed response! I hear you on the pedal? I was actually working it, but I edit my keys pretty heavily and may have screwed up a bit, Janet was "complaining" about that as well...  Believe it or not? There is a French Horn playing where the horns play? :-) I wrote a part for it, because I love the French Horn too? It's just that there's a full orchestra... And the FH is supporting the horns? So it's part of the blend, there's FH, bonz, and trumpets in my brass section. I hear you on the drums? VE had comments on the hats too? And JY beat me like a redneck wife in a trailer park over their dryness? They actually are wet? But that's another comment for another reply. I doubt I'll change the groove? But your input throughout is what we all look for when we ask for input so I "really" appreciate it! I can't thank you enough for your thoughtful and detailed comments. Thank you very much!

Robby.

No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/28 08:40:34 (permalink)
Yes, this sounds much better than i last heard.  Everything is nicely balanced and clean. 
You're really getting the big arrangements down nicely.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
philz
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2462
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/28 16:48:30 (permalink)
Great tune Robby, and well done all around.  You can smell the blood, sweat and tears.  The first few notes sort of reminded me of an old Tom Petty tune (read that as a compliment).

I liked the way it built.  I sort of get where James was coming from with his comments, but in my case I'm attributing those feelings to my rocker bias.  You, sir, are the master of the ballad.
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/28 16:58:07 (permalink)
Yes, this works much better.
rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/28 18:24:06 (permalink)
LOL, I just put it up :-) Just now!

Based on input from you, I made the drums wetter? 

Also, per Mark, I had to bring that French horn up some. It's still "in the mix?" with the horns? But I did bring it up, and I can hear it better. You can hear it on "now she'll stay behind, till her dream boy comes back once more." and during the solo.

Also, per Vincente, I made the high hat work a little less busy? I liked that suggestion and I think it does make it more impactful. 

Thank you all so much for your suggestions!!!

Also, I squeezed it "just a weence" on the mains before it goes in to Ozone. I think this is my best mix :-) I'm starting to learn how to do this stuff... But it's only through trial and error and input (invaluable input) from people here.

I really appreciate it!

Bob Oister
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2766
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/29 04:00:29 (permalink)
Hey, Robby,

This is really great!  Well written and performed, the piano sounds fabulous, and the vocals are excellent, as always.

I really like the orchestration and it sounds really good, especially during the intro. My only extremely minor personal nitpick is the solo orchestral sound during the three note transitions before the pre-choruses. To be honest, I'm not sure why, but for some odd reason, it reminds me of the organist at a Major League Baseball game. Only on those three notes when they play by themselves, but then again, I'm probably just going crazy!

Anyway, the song is really fantastic and it sounds great, and you can sure tell that you put a ton of hard work into it. Really nice job, buddy!

Have a good one,
Bob
rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/29 04:58:33 (permalink)
I just put up a new version/mix up this am, kinda late/early? Lots of minor changes really? 

But lots of minor changes add up...

I edited the lead guitar here to make it "sit better.." And it does... It may could come up a weence more? I'll defer to the collective.

I edited the vox to make them "wetter" Because I thought they were a bit dry? By wetter? I mean, I added some delay? And also played with the compression...

A little in the beginning, and a bit more when the music kicks in? And a bit less at the end when the music fades out... You know how it works? :-)

dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/29 08:58:33 (permalink)
Hey Robby - every mix has been an improvement. I like the newest tweaks. Good job!
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/29 10:21:39 (permalink)
rockinrobby

LOL, I just put it up :-) Just now!

I hadn't heard anything but the initial mix. This is getting pretty good.  The strings sound unconvincing, might want to work of the attack and perhaps dropping a fat Q around 2k about a db or so.

I would also fade out the strings just a half measure before you do that three note intro at 1:07, which will give it a more dramatic effect; give it some space to breathe and give the listener some anticipation.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:Dream girl, remix 4/29 wetter vox 2011/04/29 10:42:22 (permalink)

Robby,

I will post my comments (before reading others).
The vocals seem sonically dull.

All the instrumentation seems way too hot. The piano in the intro overpowers the vocals. 

That said, it's a great song and you arranged and sang it beautifully.
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:Dream girl, remix 4/29 wetter vox 2011/04/29 14:17:40 (permalink)
certainly a 100% improvement over the original. the vocals fit much better now, and the orchestra is more convincing. just to mess with your head, i would now reduce the verb on the snare a little. the guitar solo is a little lost in the rest of the music and could come up. great work for getting this so close, it must be incredibly hard to mix!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/29 17:27:13 (permalink)
Ok, I tweaked it again... I upgraded to the new version of Voxengo GlissEQ and re-EQ'ed the vox, and changed the verb on the vox to a different setting (plate) brought the piano down a weence, actually drums up a bit, orchestra down a bit, changed the compressor on the main (a little tighter) and the limiter in Ozone, lots of little changes actually. I'm hoping the vocals aren't too wet now. I consider this to be my magnum opus, so I want to mix it as well as I can.

Thanks everyone!

SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/29 17:31:47 (permalink)
Your singing is just great!!! Epic song as well!

The MP3 encoding seems to have hit your song pretty bad though. But I can vividly imagine how great it must sound at your place. But is there a hint too much breath freq in the vocals?

Sven

rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/30 03:27:51 (permalink)
Ok, I've been remixing on this? I took the breath part down on the vox. And made many other changes...   

I've had some problems w/my DAW crashing because I "load it up..." on big projects like this?  It's a quad core? But I mean, I load it up...

It's on the hairy edge here... I managed to get another remix, but it's crashing :-( I'd like to get a new Studiocat DAW this Spring/Summer God and other forces willing...

I did a lot more things to this mix...  "Again?" 

I think it's getting closer?  I think it's getting better? I am trying to get better at this aspect, it's not easy...

You people have been great, if you could listen again?  I'm listening now, and it's sounding better to me?

Again, it's an iterative process... Mostly changed the vocal envelope on this mix.  But I made other changes as well, I gave the snare a little more "sex?" It's easier to say that than go in to the details... It's just sexier...  Lot's of other changes, you people know how this goes? I used a lot "a lot" of input from people here, as well as listening over and over as we all do? But the things other people hear that I can't? That's the money shot that this forum gives, that's difficult to get elsewhere... So show me the money shot? 

Please comment on the mix, for better or worse? Thank you again :-) Damn I need a new daw! 

Thanks to the input of everyone, and my persistence, I think I'm getting close on this one...  If not there :-)

post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/04/30 04:50:07

timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/30 17:17:52 (permalink)
I've listened to this tune a bunch of times but never said anything. Don't know why. Maybe cause there's nothin much to say. It's a really nice tune and well performed and recorded. Like it.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/30 18:36:14 (permalink)
It's an iterative process for me... And fortunately I have OCD about it? 

Many changes... I didn't like the way the piano sounded? So I re-eqed it and gave it a little more verb. I did a lot of work with the envelopes... And the biggest changes are that I ran it through hairbal and inflated it a bit with the limiter there, and changed the harmonic balance/eq slightly. So it's a lot louder now. But I tried to retain the dynamics?

Here's the new wav. I think I'm done with it now, it's as good as I can make it :-) (unless one of the mix masters says I did something stupid, which is entirely possible?)

Individual thanks to follow, I really appreciate everyone's patience and input. 

post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/04/30 18:40:30

rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/30 23:07:54 (permalink)

"New mix is gooderer!"

Thanks for listening and providing good feedback Scotty.

"Magical love-symphony.  I love this. 
Things build up in a mighty dream symphony. 
The ballad then meanders beautifully in sections. 
The finale may seem a little redundant, on 1st listen.  The 1st verse vox section, 1-2 dcbls too loud ... but then ... by verse 3, it fits perfectly. 
This is easily my fav mix of yours to date!  The symphony overcomes me.  The ballad entices me.  This is such an amazing intoxicating piece of majic!!!"

A love symphony :-) Yeah, I guess it is. She was hot... I wonder where she is today? My relationship with her was 1989, so it's hard telling. Thanks Phillip.

"It's a great song and the arrangement and orchestration are fantastic. Lots going on but it never feels too crowded. Epic tune here, bro! 

Although I'd give my left pinky toe to be able to sing this good, I still think it's one of my least favorite of your vocal performances. 80% of the vocals are great. But then 20% don't live up to the high standards I expect to hear when I listen to a Robby tune. I think it's just that parts of it sound forced, whereas your vocals usually come across as very pure and natural. But the only reason I'm expecting so much is because I know what you're capable of!"

Yeah Dave, you're hearing that it's high in my range... And that strained sound is really what I was going for, as opposed to smooth. Thanks very much for listening and for commenting.

notnat
Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5236
Re:Dream girl, **Final remix** 4/30 2011/05/01 11:31:51 (permalink)
epic indeed... definately worth the wait... as always your vocal sound is awesome... 
rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, **Final remix** 4/30 2011/05/01 14:06:28 (permalink)
Thanks Frank, very much appreciated. I worked harder on this than most... But now I'm on a new course :-) Covering "an old blue grass standard!" :-)

rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/05/01 19:39:50 (permalink)
" I liked the last version a bunch but this new version is really a masterpiece, every instrument and vocal line is ear candy. That snare sound is about the best I've heard. Production sounds total pro my ears on my monitors. Masterpiece track here!"

Thanks Grant, it was a pig to work with because it was so freaking huge. I'm happy to be working a nice bluegrass tune now :-)

"I remember this.  Sounds like you put a lot of work into it.  Very nice!"

Thanks Warren. Yeah it's funny how we can hear the same song in different ways/different productions. This is actually the 3rd version I've done (not counting the original from back in the day)

Ian Ferrin
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 527
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/05/02 06:11:18 (permalink)
Excellent Robby... I really enjoyed this.  Nice song with a strong hook.

It's probably nit picking but the overall mix sounded just a tad bright to my ears.

Anyway, all the best with this.  Really good work.

Peace,

Ian

"Everyone is a 'believer' - even if you don't believe, that's a belief" - Me

Songs - (at soundclick)
Sonar Platinum, Native Instruments Komplete 10u, Korg N1R X2 (for some reason I still love this old synth).
rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/05/02 12:02:54 (permalink)
Thanks Ian, that's the kind of FB I'm looking for, since others commented, I had run it through HB, and that can change things quite a bit? If others are hearing that as well, it's a pretty simple change in HB to grab the high and move them down a bit.

rockinrobby
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/05/02 20:54:49 (permalink)
"While appreciating the endless work you put into this, I will be honest and say the whole thing fell apart for me once the drums came in. I just can't wrap my head around this piece of performed chamber music once it was jolted out of its place with dry toast drums. 

I think you have all the pieces you need for a great song, it just isn't there yet. It is like you have your toes in two different pools.  A master mixer could certainly make it work. 

Liked the solo. "

James, I appreciate the fact that you push me to be as good as I can be. Thank you for that.

geeare1
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1906
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/05/02 21:27:11 (permalink)
Hi Robby,

The arrangement and mix sound fantastic to me...

And your vocal, as always, is incredible.

Oh yea, I love the song, too

Great job, man.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
darylcrowley
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2700
Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/05/03 21:58:48 (permalink)
I remember you telling me about this when I posted my "Dream Girl" song.

This has a 70s pop rock vibe.  Well sang as always but I had trouble understanding the words.

The orchestration was nice but for it was a bit too much, I would have liked a little more guitar... but then I would.

Well played for sure.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
Windows 7 64bit Professional
Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
http://www.darylcrowley.com/
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1