Dream girl, **Final remix** 4/30

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
rockinrobby
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1265
2011/04/23 16:53:54 (permalink)

Dream girl, **Final remix** 4/30

It's the grand unveiling of the all new and improved Dream Girl! Re-produced now more as a pop-rock song as opposed to just the Orchestra as before? And now featuring bass, drums and guitars, but things come and go? They breath? And the orchestra is still prominent... There's a lot going on here? I worked my ass off on this piece. And to me at least? The mix sounds MUCH better. 

I hope people like it better this time around... And "MANY THANKS TO THE CW FORUM FOR CLOSING THE ENTIRE WEBSITE IN ANTICIPATION OF THIS EPIC PERFORMANCE!" I believe you'll agree based on the epic nature of this release? It was an appropriate course of action.

And now, without further adieu? At the top, Dream Girl, I'm playing every note, no loops.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/04/30 18:31:44

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."

83 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/23 17:03:38 (permalink)
    I like it.  I've liked all its changes, but this is great.  I'm glad you brought back the guitar, drums and bass too.  It all works great together.  You've got more musicality in your little finger than should be legal.  :)  Well, I'm still not sure about that last piano note, but it's your song.  :)
    rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/23 20:07:22 (permalink)
    Thanks Janet, the last note adds the spice and romance! A lot of time and effort in this one, but I really think it's one of my best, if not the best one that I've written. Different music speaks to different people on different levels though. To me, this one came from some pretty strong emotions at the time, so that may be why I feel that way about it, plus the fact it is actually the 1st song I ever wrote? :-)

Janet
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/23 20:12:51 (permalink)
    Well, I guess spice and romance means different things to different people. :)

And this is hands down a million times better than the first song I ever wrote!  Not that I even remember what it was.  lol
    rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/23 20:20:05 (permalink)
    Romance;

Spice...

Janet
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/23 20:23:25 (permalink)
    All that's conjured up in that one note on the piano? Wow! :)
    rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 00:44:39 (permalink)
    yes... It's amazing what you can do without much to work with? I could write a book actually? I met a girl last night? And I told her, honey I could touch you somewhere that would drive you crazy! She said really? Where's that? And I said? "Your wallet..."

rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 12:03:10 (permalink)
    One other thing, I wanted to include a picture of the .wav my goal was to keep this very dynamic, and I believe that is born out by the .wav below;

rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 20:23:44 (permalink)
    I hope all my Christian friends and non-Christians had a good Easter. Even the faux Christians who cry Lord Lord ;-) Happy Easter!

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 20:47:48 (permalink)
    Nice song, Robby. I like the build-up throughout the song. The orchestration is real nice. The guitar solo is excellent too, but it needs to be WAY more present. It is kind of burried in there with some inaudible notes. The piano at the beginning sounds a bit stiff and machanical though. It's all in the phrasing. The piano note at the end could go away and result in an improvement.

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 21:42:18 (permalink)
    Magical love-symphony.  I love this.

Things build up in a mighty dream symphony.

The ballad then meanders beautifully in sections.

The finale may seem a little redundant, on 1st listen.  The 1st verse vox section, 1-2 dcbls too loud ... but then ... by verse 3, it fits perfectly.

This is easily my fav mix of yours to date!  The symphony overcomes me.  The ballad entices me.  This is such an amazing intoxicating piece of majic!!!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 21:53:46 (permalink)
    I have a feeling one day, you'll finally figure this whole music thing out.

A cross between Procol Harum and Phantom of the opry..... 

I agree too that the guitar solo should have been more prominent in the mix.

I liked it much better than the orc version alone. I guess the piano note everyone was talking about was the one that was held for too long.... envelope it faster...fade to black sooner.

The samples are very nice sounding. And the fact that you played all the parts (including drums?) is good.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 22:30:51 (permalink)
    robby you got a great mix on this tune i think.i dont know if bringing the guitar lead up would have sounded any better..the song has a great feel to it..and by turning up the guitar it may have over powered it..i think its fine just the way it is..and also a good song too my friend..i also got a listen to wtf..your guitars are very crisp and the way the keys kicked in with it..very nicely done

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 22:38:42 (permalink)
    Yeah I stopped trying to fight city hall? It's amazing how smart other people are about your music? I just put a new mix up, I;

1. EQ'ed the piano a bit less bright per Janet.

2. Brought the vox down in the beginning per Phillip? And it's funny Phillip, because I already brought them down some? I have a big volume env on there, but you were hearing the same thing I was? So I knocked another DB off.

3. I added "pressence" and a tiny bit more volume and whatever that fill in the volume when it's not there thingie is on the compressor? On the lead guitar per Scotty (much respect...) 

4. And lastly? :-( DAMN YOU! I killed my romance note at the end on the piano! May it rest in peace... LOL!

YOU GUYS ROCK! 

rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 22:43:40 (permalink)
    And thanks Herb! Yeah man, my drummer kicks ass!! :-) I sweat blood for days over that drum track... I always send Janet emails with a subject of "I HATE THE DRUMS!!" When I'm working on them? Because they are a tempting, yet fickle and angry mistress... I really love the drums? And have so much respect for "drummers?" because other things come more naturally to me. I do consider myself a MIDI drummer? But man... It takes me "days and days..." To get the right sound, then build the grove, edit it, do the fills, re-do the fills, do the verb, pan them, etc... The drums wear me out, but they are just SO important! And I think I nailed them here :-D

rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 22:46:45 (permalink)
    Charlie, thanks very much. I worked on it for a month... Hours every day, it was a HUGE undertaking... And I'm sure it could still be improved upon. 

This particular song had much meaning to me when it was written... Emotions are powerful things? And I was emotionally "in a blender" when I wrote this? And some of that comes through in the delivery, and hopefully the production :-) It's one of my, if not my most ambitious production to date? But hey, it keeps me off the streets? And the neighbors REALLY appreciate that... 

Janet
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 22:57:42 (permalink)
    So if I want you to do something, I have to get other people to gang up on you with me, huh?  I'll have to remember that.  :)

Now if we could only do something about that mechanical piano at the beginning, that wouldn't bug me anymore.  The thing is, I really liked it the first time I heard this about 3 years ago.  Is it because the production has improved so much that now that sticks out to me?  I'm not sure...I wish I could tell you how to make it better without losing what makes it 'it.'  I do like the fact that it's not so bright now.  :) 

You've still got more musicality than I could ever hope for this side of heaven. 

And it doesn't lose any romance without that last note.  Good call.  (thanks Scott!)  If it helps, that .wav more than makes up for it anyway.
    rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 23:10:26 (permalink)
    yeah, but I can't be something I'm not? And that's what I feel/hear "as a piano player?" :-( I know there was another comment on it as well? But I played it the way it was played in the original, when it was written? I was trying to be true to the old cassette version of this tune, but this one of course is recorded with a few more years of experience, and a few dollars more worth of equipment... ;-) I told you I'd redo thing thing "BIG TIME" one day? :-) Well there you go! I'm a man of my word.

Janet
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/24 23:11:36 (permalink)
    I know.  I really like the fact that you stayed true the original cause it was great.  And yes, you did redo it big time.  Way to go. :) 
    rhynosynth
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 520
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/25 01:30:18 (permalink)
    Hi Robby. You've got an amazing voice and you know how to record it well. That's always the given with you. It's just a matter of the song underneath it and how you deliver it and this one is great. Piano sounds nice and I guess the slight stop rest is a matter of taste for the particular tune. The three note change at about 1:08 reminded me of Elton Johns Levon for a sec and works very well in this song. I love the chords at about 1:20 and 2:40 and the vox over them are dynamite. I think the solo is great and the notes and phrasing fits the song perfect. A Neal Schon thing would work well too. Matter of personal taste. The solo winds out brilliantly and the supporting instrumentation throughout is really great. Excellent song. 
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/25 06:09:51 (permalink)
    New mix is gooderer!

String Jammer
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/25 06:42:21 (permalink)
    Loved it, I got that disney vibe off it wether you were lookin for that or not, but I love that s**t. I must say too the mix is so easy on the ear, which is cleary conveyed in your waveform.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/25 12:06:50 (permalink)
    Robby,

Quite nice song, orchestration, vocals, etc....   Couple nits I wouldn't even bring up except I think you have a quite exceptional song here.

I would add a sustain pedal to the piano at the intro and a few parts throughout where the piano drops off. 

It sounds like there is something funky happening at 1:30 where the drums and bass come in.   Listening through headphones but it sounds like a bass note is off or something.  

I also would like to hear a French Horn in your orchestration.   It would add another nice layer of movement.  Silent Lucidity by Queenscryche is a good example of the French Horn in a rock orchestration...

Like the concept of drums in this tune, but I would keep them simpler and use them to bring power, not ornamentation, to the sections where you use drums.  For example, the roll going into the 2 minute marker is nice, but the subsequent rolls at 2:02 and the beat throw off the timing to me at that point in the song.  I would also keep the drums going from 2:02 all the way through 2:30 where you return to the slower movement again.  Also during the guitar solo, the drums draw attention away from the solo.  I would keep them simple and straight.

Everything else is really good.  Really enjoyed the song and performance quite a lot....

Regards
    post edited by markno999 - 2011/04/25 18:29:02
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/25 13:38:29 (permalink)
    It's a great song and the arrangement and orchestration are fantastic. Lots going on but it never feels too crowded. Epic tune here, bro!

Although I'd give my left pinky toe to be able to sing this good, I still think it's one of my least favorite of your vocal performances. 80% of the vocals are great. But then 20% don't live up to the high standards I expect to hear when I listen to a Robby tune. I think it's just that parts of it sound forced, whereas your vocals usually come across as very pure and natural. But the only reason I'm expecting so much is because I know what you're capable of!
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/25 17:56:50 (permalink)
     I liked the last version a bunch but this new version is really a masterpiece, every instrument and vocal line is ear candy. That snare sound is about the best I've heard. Production sounds total pro my ears on my monitors. Masterpiece track here!

Me

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/25 18:03:03 (permalink)
    I remember this.  Sounds like you put a lot of work into it.  Very nice!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/25 18:12:54 (permalink)
    While appreciating the endless work you put into this, I will be honest and say the whole thing fell apart for me once the drums came in. I just can't wrap my head around this piece of performed chamber music once it was jolted out of its place with dry toast drums.

I think you have all the pieces you need for a great song, it just isn't there yet. It is like you have your toes in two different pools.  A master mixer could certainly make it work.

Liked the solo.
    rockinrobby
    Re:"THIS" is why the forum was down for days! 2011/04/25 22:37:03 (permalink)
    rhynosynth

Hi Robby. You've got an amazing voice and you know how to record it well. That's always the given with you. It's just a matter of the song underneath it and how you deliver it and this one is great. Piano sounds nice and I guess the slight stop rest is a matter of taste for the particular tune. The three note change at about 1:08 reminded me of Elton Johns Levon for a sec and works very well in this song. I love the chords at about 1:20 and 2:40 and the vox over them are dynamite. I think the solo is great and the notes and phrasing fits the song perfect. A Neal Schon thing would work well too. Matter of personal taste. The solo winds out brilliantly and the supporting instrumentation throughout is really great. Excellent song. 

Republican In Name Only, :-) Thanks for the kind words. It's funny because my son said he liked that part too? The 3 note step up from a to Bm? And yeah the solo is singing a melody so to speak? vs. a lot of technical shredding which I'm not really capable of, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks!

Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/26 00:02:31 (permalink)

Hat's off to you sir!!!!!!!!! Dang man, I've had the pleasure to hear how far your music has "STARTED" over the last few year.

Dude, you've got it going on man! If you ever need an old 80's fart to add something give me a shout. I'd be honored to give it a try.

What you have accomplished here is what I have been trying to bring to life with my own music, perhaps in a different way, but the principal is still there.

Just  FREAKING AWESOME Robby!!!!!

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Dream girl, completely re-mixed, and re-produced as a pop-rock tune. 2011/04/26 00:13:34 (permalink)
    i gave this another few listens again today robbie..you know me..im a pretty ballz to the wallz smashing guitars,breaking tables type of guy..this is a great song.your voice just stretches the high end of the song.i love the dynamics and i love what you write about the signwave leaving room to breath in the saong..and it shows..its load and in your face(in a good way)but yet sounds soft enough for a lula-bye.be proud.this is good.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1