End of the Road new mix 3/7

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Janet
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8094
2011/02/20 22:17:07 (permalink)

End of the Road new mix 3/7

I tried another orchestra piece.  I'm not sure why, except that I couldn't get it to sound right on the piano.  The whole thing started with the cello in the beginning but I had a heck of a time finishing it.  I'm open to all suggestions.  I imagine the percussion doesn't work.  I'd love some ideas for that....or for someone to redo it for me and show me how you did it.  I'm not even sure the composition 'works' or that the instruments are doing what they're supposed to.  IOW...I need your ears again.  Thanks! 

Edit:  changed the cello sample...thanks Mark and Herb!  And I changed the staccato part, for good or for bad.  I'm still not sure about the percussion.  Thanks a million, you guys! 

End of the Road

3/7---probably just subtle differences, and I don't expect everyone to listen again. But I think it's a little better now.
post edited by Janet - 2011/03/07 22:59:07

74 Replies Related Threads

rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/20 22:32:58 (permalink)
    I got a pretty strong Hallelujah vibe Janet... Don't get me wrong? I really love that song. Are you familiar with it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrZ7lChK-g 

End of the Road is really pretty :-) Were you helped with the mix before you posted this? DON'T LIE! :-) 

Aren't you glad I talked you in to EWQL Gold? It has made such a dramatic difference in your sound! 

This also sounded like a song I heard in one of the Shrek movies? I looked but couldn't find which one :-(
    post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/02/20 23:18:30

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/20 22:40:03 (permalink)
    This is excellent Janet... I wish I could put together something like this...
    Well done...
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 02:23:41 (permalink)

I really do like this Janet. I expected that maybe you were in a bit of a "wondering about this or that"
    as far this presentation of what you have. From the start this is melodic and musical and the lack of piano
    really adds to the focus on what is there. This is very smooth and it shows off the beauty of the
    arrangment, performance, mix etc. To put it another way it sounds so good as it is. The cello or main
    instrument that carries the basic fundimental aspects of the song could stand to be a touch louder
    but I think only by a small degree.

This is sort of like hearing another side of your writing and doing so without a piano really
    gives it a divercity or might I say something different. I found myself listening to this as a
    nice peice of music and not just a posted song to see whats up. From about 2:21 to about
    3:20 it went into a seemingly stacato type feel with that one instrument (the cello?).

To my ears or maybe I should say to my taste I would prefer for the smooth sound to continue
    throughout the song. Whereas as it is now "that section" has a sort of drama or action
    type vibe to it while I'm enjoying the "song mood" so it sort of changes at that point in the songs vibe.

I would think that keeping that "feel" that you otherwise have in the song (IE the sustained notes)
    would have this piece sounding "complete". It sounds like everything in the writing, production etc
    fell into place and doesn't need something else to be a beautyfull piece.

I wouldn't want to imply that me saying "hey this sounds great" is just a thing to say.
    I am truly impressed with this performance. Parden my spelling this computor that I'm on
    at the moment I don't know if the spell check is on it.

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 06:22:03 (permalink)
    Total sweetness! I don't hear anything wrong or lacking.

String Jammer
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 06:56:25 (permalink)
    the tune reminded me of something..then i realised it was Holst 'Jupiter' (I vow to thee my country).
    nicely programmed and played, sounds very sweet, not much to say in terms of mix!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 07:42:56 (permalink)
    Janet - this is an outstandingly beautiful piece of music and works perfectly as it stands. The issue of what to do to develop it is one I hesitate to answer as we all have different styles and frankly I do not have the ability to write this sort of music as wonderfully as you do. All I can say is what I would do. You have an 8 bar theme. I would write a further 8 bars that completes the theme (I vow to thee my country is a good example although with your theme I would flow the tune up the register returning down to complete). Let those new bars appear just twice in the piece. Once in the middle and again at the end. At the end I would use cellos (probably a solo cello) to lead on the first 8 bars and then bring in the full orchestra lead by the violins to complete. If you would like to hear an example of what I mean, there is a piece on my soundclick malcolmbrown page called "I will walk beside you". I wrote the piece for a friend who had lost her husband as I knew he would always be with her.

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    Janet
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 09:01:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Robby.  Yes, I know that song and it IS pretty. :-)  This mix is all my own.  I didn't eq or pan anything this time, because I wanted to see what EWQL was like on its own (I suspected they knew what they were doing.)  I just now remembered that I should make sure that solo cello is in the middle (I think?).  I'm curious to see what the orchestra guys say.  And yes, EWQL is great.  Thanks. :-)

Thanks Frank.  I wish I could put together songs like YOU do! ;-)

Jimmy, I'm so glad you stopped by.  I've been thinking about (and worrying about) you lately.  I'm glad you like it, Jimmy and I really do appreciate your comments. I can see how the staccato passage might be a little jarring. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I'll have to wait a few days and listen to it with fresh ears I think.  I struggled so much getting each part to fit together and that may be one part that just didn't work.  Although I 'heard' that part early on in the process.  I wanted some sort of change-up.  Anyway, thanks for the idea.  It's easy enough to change. 

Thank you, Scott! :-)

Thanks Mark.  I knew this wouldn't be your favorite of mine , but I appreciate you listening and commenting. :-)  I'd never heard 'I Vow to Thee My Country' (listening now) but I can certainly hear the similarity. 

Thanks Malcolm.  Really glad you like it.  Thanks for the idea.  Part of the problem is that it's fairly easy to come up with a good 'hook' for a pretty song, but you can't have 3 1/2 minutes of a good hook.  :-)  (nor do you want it boring between the hooks.)  Sometimes the rest of it comes easily to me and sometimes I have to fight with it. 
    post edited by Janet - 2011/02/21 09:05:29
    malcolmb
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 09:50:49 (permalink)
    Hi Janet - "sometimes I have to fight with it". Yes, I know exactly what you mean. My waste bin is full of fights I have lost (I tend to loose far more than I win)! Trying to write music which has no lyrics is I believe the most difficult fight. Trying to keep the attention of the listener for 3 1/2 minutes can be a real struggle. There is only so much you can do with a melody line and changing the lead instrument, key and register is OK but even that gets boring after a while. It often strikes me when I listen to the great orchestral composers that more than half of a piece is padding between melodies. But their padding is a thousand times better than my melodies!

Best Regards
    Malcolm

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    kson
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 10:20:18 (permalink)
    I really liked that.  Very well done.

I would only say, since you are asking, that the crashes do nothing but take me out of the mood.  A crash, to me, can be a symbol of excitement/change or used as an accent in a song.  I feel nothing either way, but it just may be the placement.  It actually disturbs my feel of the movement of the piece.  That's just my humble opinion, since you asked.

If nothing changes, it is still a wonderful movement.  Cheers!
    Storm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 808
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 10:29:04 (permalink)
    nice work Janet

to me it's very 'thoughtful' and 'reflective' and you made great choices. It seems very well thought out.

2 songs from storm's band reijo | Latest Video Shadows | new reijo track - storm on lead guitar
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 11:20:53 (permalink)
    Hi Janet, don't change a thing this is absolutely mesmerizing. I even like the percussion .

Greetings, Rik
    Janet
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 11:27:00 (permalink)
    Malcolm:  Exactly!  :-)

Thank you, Reginald!  I think I had the idea of adding excitement and accent and perhaps this song as it stands didn't really pull off the excitement.  I appreciate the ears! :-)

Thank you, Storm.  I'm really glad you like it and I appreciate the kind words.  :-)

Thank you Rik.  I like mesmerizing too. :-)  And maybe I'll leave the percussion just for you.  :-)
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 11:58:21 (permalink)
    I like  this song..... the cello at the start on my computer speakers sounded a bit synthy.....I'll turn on the DAW and listen there in a minute.

ADD:

Yeah...confirmed. the cello is too "buzzy" sounding..... maybe some verb and velocity adjustments would help...enveloping out sooner....

the strings are really sweet.  when they come in I'd fade the cello a bit quicker.... or bump the verb so it blends into the background better.
    The rest sounds pretty decent.  Horns are nice and blend well.  where the cello comes in at 3 something.... it's better but I'd still put more verb on it.... just a bit.

So to me the issue is in the cello. Make it fit better.

JMHO
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/21 12:09:42

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 12:17:56 (permalink)
    Janet,

Apart from one minor detail, everything about this song is really wonderful. The only thing letting it down is the cello sample at the beginning and the stacc at 2:20.
    A better sample here makes this track contender for one of the most beautiful songs ever to grace these forums.

Its very rare for me to listen to a song more than once due to time restrictions and work commitments. I listened to this three times today.

Best
    Mark.

Janet
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 13:57:55 (permalink)
    Wow--thank you, Mark!  :-)  Three times?  I'm honored!   You're so right about that cello.  I changed the sample and it sounds so much better.  I really appreciate the listen and comments!
    Janet
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 13:58:58 (permalink)
    Herb..I changed the cello. Good call.  So many to choose from and I obviously forgot to try out different ones. 
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:End of the Road 2011/02/21 14:51:06 (permalink)
    Great job!  You must have put a lot of time on it.  The orchestration sounds great!  You could add some timpani at the end to give it some more drama. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    Thatsastrat
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1267
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/21 16:43:11 (permalink)
    Janet,
    Nicely done. You might not believe this, but I just clicked on the link to this to listen, not paying much
    mind to what the song title was. As I was listening, I was thinking that this gave me a feeling of being at a journeys end. The dramatic builds really took me away from that initial feeling I had when it first started. I am not sure what you wanted to convey in this piece, but the initial vibe I got was nice, but was interrupted. Tell us more about what you were wanting to convey, and perhaps others could help guide you. Like I said the feeling that this invoked when it first started, I think is exactly what you wanted, but got somewhat interrupted.
    [size=3 font="times new roman"] 

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/21 18:43:53 (permalink)
    Janet,
      I'm pretty limited in my exposure to this genre.  I do like and listen to Rick Wakeman and David Arkenstone alot though.  The mix sounds very good to me and the song is very majestic and flowing.  This song would be a great addition to a video that shows sweeping and majestic landscapes, like flyovers of vast mountainous areas.  Very nice work, I liked it a lot.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/21 20:39:50 (permalink)
    i listened again on my buds..... better. But I'm hearing the very beginning is not distinct...almost like a fumbling of fingers..... I played it back 5 times to verify..... and it's almost like a triplet there ...... if that's intentional, ignore my nit picking.

I like the new cello sample better.

Nice song, and a good job on composing it.

BMI/NSAI

Janet
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/21 21:09:02 (permalink)
    Thank you, Vicente.  Yeah, this one took awhile to compose for some reason.  I thought of adding timps at the end, but I was wanting it to wind down there.  I'm not sure it really came out right though.  lol.  I'll probably revisit it...or make another version sometime. 

Bruce, yeah, that's interesting. As I mentioned in the OP, I couldn't really get this to go where I wanted it to go.  Perhaps I should change the name to 'The Journey'.  Otherwise I'll have to just end with the beginning.  :-)  Thanks so much for listening and commenting.   I appreciate it.

Thank you, Tony.  I'm glad it created pictures for you. :-)

Herb...say what?  I'm not hearing that, but I'll try again.  Yeah, that cello's better.  I need to remember that for next time.  Thanks for the idea!
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 03:03:41 (permalink)

I like this Janet. I may be figuring out some things when it comes to my "listening to your work(s)".
    I listen to your stuff at "face value" in a sence. What I like in doing so is to sort of think about things
    and to see and hear. It would I guess be like music appreciation. I find myself responding when there
    is something in the song that makes me do just that, respond.

Another way to put it is to "hear something" that "doesn't sound right". I use that term loosely
    but that is about the jest of things. Keeping in mind the thought of structure and/or arrangment
    one might find themselves "making things fit" or playing by "the rules or standards". On this you don't
    sound like your trying to meet some standard. The song doesn't really burst out in dynamics, nor
    does it need to. The song (is) however strong in its character.

To me the melodic content comes to the front in what makes this piece. I guess I'm also saying
    that I like to hear that side of you. From "my end" or "my perspective" I'm hearing this song as
    just that, a song.  So while I'm on that subject I think I like to (even on my own works) "let things
    rest", such as less focus on individual parts and just listening from a more "enjoyment" type
    of mindset.

(Not) having the sort of (stacato) section in there really smoothed out the flow of the song. 
    You might also think of how this song would fit in on a CD. If you had for example some pretty
    dynamic sort of peices this song would really change pace for the listener at that time and place
    on th CD.

Guitarhacker
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 08:40:32 (permalink)
    I also thought the thing I'm hearing was the result of mp3 conversion and or streaming audio..... but I don't think so.

to me, the notes are not clear and defined at the very beginning. I listened just now on the desk top speakers, and I still hear it....

let me describe it differently.... it sounds almost like there is a volume envelope that fades in ON and across the first notes. In that, the volume of the first note is rising as it begins to play..... giving it an "unfinished" start.  It's not "at volume" before the first note begins.
    the first note in a song should be definitive, and at volume,  not fading in as the song begins. I understand there are exceptions to this and I'm not arguing that point here and now. Even if that is not the case, that's how it sounds.

Listen with focus on the first few notes. It starts at 3 sec and by 5 secs its done.  This might seem REALLY picky. If the notes are intentional, and they just come out sounding that way, I would, and have in my own projects, gone in and changed notes and chords to eliminate minor glitches that the ordinary listener would not hear, but that the professionals pick up immediately.

Example in my own music: In Emerald Eyes.... towards the last reprise, the back ground piano played a chord that had a note in it that clashed with the chord maintained by the other instruments. Solo'd.... it didn't sound bad at all, actually, it  was quite beautiful. But in the mix it didn't work. I enveloped that one note out and it changed the song and made it totally smooth.  During the time that song was on the forum for review, no one  here commented about the chord disagreement in the last reprise. Everyone missed it.  If I had sent it to a music listing in that condition, it would likely have been turned back due to that perceived wrong note. On some of the TAXI reviews I get, it is amazing some of the minor nits those guys and gals will catch, and they return it for that reason. Broadcast quality means everything is right.

Again... JMHO.....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/22 08:43:02

BMI/NSAI

Janet
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 10:21:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for stopping by again, Jimmy.  I appreciate your comments. :-)

OK, Herb, yes, I heard that.  Gotta get that CC 11 data under control.  Thanks for the tip! 
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 11:21:51 (permalink)
    Hi Janet, you just couldn't leave it alone could you . Actually this cello sounds much nicer, apart from the very first note, like Herb mentioned, and there is one high note coming in a bit strong. There is also a bit to much hiss before the first note if I'm really picky but that could be Soundclick.

Greetings, Rik
    Guitarhacker
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 12:50:53 (permalink)

BMI/NSAI

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 12:55:58 (permalink)

This is a beautiful piece Janet.

I really love the timpani parts, they are the icing on the cake for me.

Having said that, all the instrumentation is from the very top drawer.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

radio
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2782
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 15:41:25 (permalink)

Dang Janet I like this , great movie stuff !

Nice music score .

Radio

equality
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:End of the Road new mix 2/21 2011/02/22 16:00:04 (permalink)
    The melody has a lovely hook. It does sound a bit familiar (can't place it) and it doesn't matter. I am impressed by the way you have orchestrated this. Would be great to hear it with real instruments. It could definately be used in any billion dollar movie. 
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1