OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum?

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/25 21:33:05 (permalink)
No link? Come on John! DIG FOR IT!

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/26 20:54:16 (permalink)
come to mind. I would love to have a CD of some of these songs

How about a "Best of the SONAR Forum" CD? There's enough material here to fill a library of discs, perhaps grouped by genre. You could sell it on CD Baby.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/26 20:59:45 (permalink)
you'd need to get someone to master it. (i'm not volunteering due to lack of talent.) but it's a good idea.

- jack the ex-cynic
bitflipper
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/26 21:03:07 (permalink)
Getting somebody to volunteer to master it shouldn't be a problem. Getting somebody to cough up $1k for the initial pressing might be difficult, though. Maybe we could convince CW to sponsor it, since it would be an excellent marketing tool.

My Stuff
theguitarplayer
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3523
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/26 21:06:36 (permalink)
robbie, it use to be on this forum and I ad it saved on my computer. After my computer crashed it was gone. I almost cried, it was really that good. Check all the site for people on this forum with the last name Barnes. The title again- Doing It My Way. I think I will look also. If I find it I will get the link and post it here. John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
jacktheexcynic
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/26 21:19:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bitflipper
Getting somebody to volunteer to master it shouldn't be a problem. Getting somebody to cough up $1k for the initial pressing might be difficult, though. Maybe we could convince CW to sponsor it, since it would be an excellent marketing tool.

i missed the smiley on your last sentence i don't think you were here for the coffeehouse bit. a bunch of those guys went off and started their own forum when cake shut down the coffeehouse. they have actually put out a couple CDs, the exile collection and the exile collection II i believe. but i'm pretty sure if cake isn't willing to mod a "coffeehouse" they won't put up $1k to print CDs of the songs forum top 14 (or however many fit).

as for marketing, i can't think of a way to say this without sounding like a complete tool, but here goes anyway:

cake wants to show off the slick, professional results you can get with sonar. there are very few posters who put out that kind of level of stuff on the songs forum. that is not to put down anybody, because a lot of raw-sounding music on here is really good. but, cake is not going to want to say "here's a CD of bedroom recording artists using sonar that sound like bedroom recording artists."

- jack the ex-cynic
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/26 21:32:56 (permalink)
That's a great idea man, CW should run a contest/poll, and then foot the bill? What a great idea!! I mean, I heard so much good stuff just from this thread, that I had never heard before!

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/28 02:55:36 (permalink)
Every year the Otherplace members put out their own CD.
Most of us used to hang out here until cake closed the coffeehouse, so it's still about 80% SONAR with a couple of Reapers and a Logic.
You can check out the latest one at www.exilecollection.com

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

bitflipper
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/31 13:25:07 (permalink)
cake wants to show off the slick, professional results you can get with sonar. there are very few posters who put out that kind of level of stuff on the songs forum. that is not to put down anybody, because a lot of raw-sounding music on here is really good. but, cake is not going to want to say "here's a CD of bedroom recording artists using sonar that sound like bedroom recording artists."

I am aware of the Exile Collection and applaud their ambition.

But what's wrong with "a CD of bedroom recording artists using sonar that sound like bedroom recording artists"?

I attended an art show once that featured works by folk artists, not one of whom was a professional or was formally trained. The stuff was crude but showed great imagination and inspiration, and it made me think maybe I could be an artist, too.

Isn't that what the home recording movement is all about? The democratization of music creation?

My Stuff
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/31 21:29:45 (permalink)

I am aware of the Exile Collection and applaud their ambition.

But what's wrong with "a CD of bedroom recording artists using sonar that sound like bedroom recording artists"?

I attended an art show once that featured works by folk artists, not one of whom was a professional or was formally trained. The stuff was crude but showed great imagination and inspiration, and it made me think maybe I could be an artist, too.

Isn't that what the home recording movement is all about? The democratization of music creation?

Exactly right, I never bought anything when I was working it was always laid on so what kind of target market was I in?

It's only since I stopped that I wanted to become a bedroom producer/artist and shopped around for products...surely Cakewalk/Sonar's biggest target IS home producers, most well-known industry pro's being complementary endorsees of various product vendors in order to entice the rest of us into using the same gear as them, isn't that how it all works?

A CD of tracks plucked from just this thread would make a lot of marketing sense surely. Some of it is top notch by any measure and done well couldn't some marketing people come up with something appeal to the majority of those that WILL cough up the required dollars?

After all surely no one believes anymore that Eva Longoria gets her hair colourant from the supermarket and dons her polythene gloves while hunching over the bathroom sink, when she'll most likely have a team available to do it for her, although the fact that that style of marketing still works is I guess a reflection of the fact that we mostly like living in a dream rather than 'living the dream'.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Paul Russell
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3892
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/31 21:30:31 (permalink)
There's nothing to stop the SONAR forum putting out their own self funded CD like the Exile Collection

We set a deadline. Potential tracks go through the songs forum for quality control. They get serious technical crit to get them into shape as songs and mixes. Nobody is refused.

Then once the deadline is up we collect unmastered wave files and deposits, and send it all to a mastering house. Last year it was Sunbreak Music of Oregon USA. ISRC codes are assigned and a nominal publishing house is appointed. The artwork is normally done by one of the team (I did the doggy one). Printing is normally done by Oasis.

Volunteers handle the finance collection (paypal) and logistics (postage to usa, europe and asia)

The whole process is very consensus driven (right now we're finalising our choice of name) although I run the timetable and the general process. It was a self-appointed position

This forum has more members and should easily be able to do it. So don't ask for it to be done for you. Take the initiative.
post edited by Paul Russell - 2008/08/31 21:31:12

Paul Russell 
Calamity Studio and on Facebook

Jonbouy
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/31 21:40:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Paul Russell

There's nothing to stop the SONAR forum putting out their own self funded CD like the Exile Collection

We set a deadline. Potential tracks go through the songs forum for quality control. They get serious technical crit to get them into shape as songs and mixes. Nobody is refused.

Then once the deadline is up we collect unmastered wave files and deposits, and send it all to a mastering house. Last year it was Sunbreak Music of Oregon USA. ISRC codes are assigned and a nominal publishing house is appointed. The artwork is normally done by one of the team (I did the doggy one). Printing is normally done by Oasis.

Volunteers handle the finance collection (paypal) and logistics (postage to usa, europe and asia)

The whole process is very consensus driven (right now we're finalising our choice of name) although I run the timetable and the general process. It was a self-appointed position

This forum has more members and should easily be able to do it. So don't ask for it to be done for you. Take the initiative.

Sounds cool.

jacktheexcynic
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/09/01 08:52:18 (permalink)

nothing. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, only that i don't think cake will put up the cash for it as a marketing scheme.

yes, and i completely agree - again, i'm not saying what i think, but what i think cake will think. paul is absolutely right - we can easily do it but we have to take the initiative here and not rely on cakewalk.

- jack the ex-cynic
Jonbouy
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/09/02 09:04:27 (permalink)
For those that may have missed the update of Kenny's '7 String Strut' check it out here.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1459776

It got a major rework after it was originally posted so you may not have revisited it since, believe me you'll be glad you did.

Incredible musicianship.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/09/02 09:06:13

Weissang
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/09/05 18:57:16 (permalink)
Not to say best, but technically inspirational. Underhills "California" and the remix version. You have the original "soup" then you give it to a guy to "taste" and add his own "ingredients". THAT was AWESOME!!! I still don't have a fave between the two, but I like to listen to them sorta side-by-side to feel the changes.

Well done.... both versions.......
rd000d
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/07 17:14:44 (permalink)

The best song ever on the Songs forum is the trascendental masterpiece known as the recomposition of Hey Jude by Joseph Ferrante.
You can have a 60 seconds preview of it going to:

http://ferrantemusic3.byethost13.com/
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re:OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/07 22:16:56 (permalink)
wanker bot.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/17 02:35:17 (permalink)
Jonbouy

I dunno I'm consistently gob-smacked by the quality here overall.

I tend to be taken by songs more than production quality and by that token there is a wealth of creativity here that transcends a lot of formulaic mediocrity that gets rammed down yer throat by the 'popular' broadcast media.

Some talk here about insincerity and saccharine backslapping recently I'm not really interested in that, I CHOOSE to come here out of preference to 100's of other places not out of any kind of obligation. Here everyone is free to express their musicality at whatever level and in any way without having any need to conform to any benchmark of merchantability (unless they want to do that) and there is very little that gets posted that doesn't inspire something in me.

Choosing a top song overall though is hard to do although my top 3 currently are these ones, and I reckon they've all got staying power, the first two very much fall into 'good song' territory while No. 3 is very much a sheer celebration of musical ability and production loveliness.

1. Rick (No How et. famille): Now Shall My Head Be Lifted Up. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1460421
2. Mamabear: See the Hope. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1457026
3. Paul Russell feat Geoff Oakes and M: Them Changes. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1454181

The thing is there will be a fresh batch of similarly outstanding material over the next 7 days.

An embarrassment of riches.

How to choose the best song I've ever heard here? Now THAT is a question.

edit: added Links

Guess I'm too late...  I was able to hear exactly none of these!  (No link, no link, dead link...) 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/17 07:47:11 (permalink)
craigb

Guess I'm too late...  I was able to hear exactly none of these!  (No link, no link, dead link...) 

That's what happens with a 4 year old Fred. You'd be able to hear exactly all of the ones that are in the present day though...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/18 02:12:35 (permalink)
And there's definitely been some good ones recently!  I don't get up to the songs forum that much because it takes a lot more time to listen to a song properly a couple of times and then craft an intelligent reply than it does to post "Ya" in some silly thread in the Coffee House - lol!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
ABeautifulVirus
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 523
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/18 11:05:59 (permalink)
foxwolfen

I do not think this kind of thread is appropriate. I do not want to engage in a popularity contest here. That sort of thing risks developing a clique driven elitist attitude which I prefer to avoid. I would hope that most members who post here are "newbies" and they would have no objective way of participating in this conversation, but could very well end up using what they see here as some sort of measure for success and that would be unfortunate, as it is meaningless. It is also somewhat self-congratulatory.

I say this without malice or anger.

Cheers
Shad

i concur. 
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/18 12:41:22 (permalink)
ABeautifulVirus

foxwolfen

I do not think this kind of thread is appropriate. I do not want to engage in a popularity contest here. That sort of thing risks developing a clique driven elitist attitude which I prefer to avoid. I would hope that most members who post here are "newbies" and they would have no objective way of participating in this conversation, but could very well end up using what they see here as some sort of measure for success and that would be unfortunate, as it is meaningless. It is also somewhat self-congratulatory.

I say this without malice or anger.

Cheers
Shad

i concur. 

+1

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/18 20:05:11 (permalink)
I think "song I liked best on the Forum" would be a fine topic.

That way it takes the presumed objectivity away and makes it purely subjective. 
CLEAN
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re: RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/20 22:43:36 (permalink)
My favorite - anything by Freddy.

THE PUGTONES
Mark
The Band19
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2795
Re: RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/20 23:25:04 (permalink)
Song I liked best on the forum? Started this mess... It was James and Acrobat's Supper? It was "My love will find you..." Why was this the best? "For me?" Well, The words spoke to me... It was a time in my life when I was going through "tremendous" hardship. And I felt as I listened? As if the song was written for me? At the moment in time when I was in deep emotional pain... And the way the song was performed and sung? It made me cry. And not once? But every time I listened to it... I'm getting a little misty now thinking about it. It's why when I asked permission to cover it, I touched it "so delicately.." Because I had such respect for how it was done... I still maintain that this is the best song ever done on the forum, and I mean that sincerely... Perhaps I'll try to remix my tribute version of it, it is truly a magnificent song...

Love will be answered? Love will break through
And though you be 10,000 miles away, "my love will find you..."
I'm telling you James, this song spoke to me in my darkest hour.
It spoke to me about my only child? My son...

THAT is what a truly great and memorable song does. It touches us, somewhere deep... Music is primal? Music was written and preformed by man “before we were man?” When we were cavemen!? We were writing and performing music? And to this day? There’s something about music, that can touch us, and can move us, in ways that few other things can…

People? What we do is truly ancient, and magical... It is spiritual in the earliest sense. You should embrace the gifts you have, and be thankful for them, for they are truly ancient gifts, and they can evoke the ancient inner being within all of us. Music is the language of the soul... I listened to it again tonight, and it made me cry like a baby. I'll say it again, music is the language of the soul. 

**My version of this song is posted as a tribute and an homage to James and Acrobat's Super's original. Mine is an overdub of theirs w/harmonies. It is truly a great song IMO. And James, please forgive me for posting this again. It is IMHO, the best song on the forum. (not my version, or my performance, and certainly not the mix/master, I'm talking about the underlying songwriting)
post edited by The Band19 - 2012/07/21 00:58:16
kaushal
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2012/07/22 01:50:20 (permalink)
I think Robby means YOUR top ten FAVORITE songs. I think it is a good idea to start this thread simply because we get to hear back what we have missed and I see it more like a recommendation. Nothing wrong with it. There is nothing offensive about it. I personally found it really enjoyable to listen to everybody's recommendation.
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1