OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2008/08/15 18:24:56 (permalink)

OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum?

My vote is Acrobat's Supper, My Love will find you, I've teared up listening to this song, it is "truely" amazing.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1317601

This song touched me deeply, and that's what we all hope for when we write.

Followed "closely" by when the devil gives up (same group of guys).

Does anyone else have an all time favorite tune posted on this forum? And if so, what was it?

post edited by robby - 2008/08/15 18:55:36

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

175 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 19:25:43 (permalink)
    I dunno I'm consistently gob-smacked by the quality here overall.

I tend to be taken by songs more than production quality and by that token there is a wealth of creativity here that transcends a lot of formulaic mediocrity that gets rammed down yer throat by the 'popular' broadcast media.

Some talk here about insincerity and saccharine backslapping recently I'm not really interested in that, I CHOOSE to come here out of preference to 100's of other places not out of any kind of obligation. Here everyone is free to express their musicality at whatever level and in any way without having any need to conform to any benchmark of merchantability (unless they want to do that) and there is very little that gets posted that doesn't inspire something in me.

Choosing a top song overall though is hard to do although my top 3 currently are these ones, and I reckon they've all got staying power, the first two very much fall into 'good song' territory while No. 3 is very much a sheer celebration of musical ability and production loveliness.

1. Rick (No How et. famille): Now Shall My Head Be Lifted Up. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1460421
    2. Mamabear: See the Hope. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1457026
    3. Paul Russell feat Geoff Oakes and M: Them Changes. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1454181

The thing is there will be a fresh batch of similarly outstanding material over the next 7 days.

An embarrassment of riches.

How to choose the best song I've ever heard here? Now THAT is a question.

edit: added Links
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2008/08/15 20:33:25

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    robby
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 19:38:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Jon, could you edit and post the links to those songs? I'd like to listen to them.

==================

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 20:10:12 (permalink)
    There ya go.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    robby
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 20:12:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Jon, yes, that's good stuff :-) I listened again to that know how vocal tune, it's good, makes me happy :-) There are areas I could comment on, but I don't won't :-) Because "I just like it" :-)

And anything by mamabear is on my top ten list :-)

==================

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 20:51:11 (permalink)
    Can I have a top ten?
    Even that would be tough, but I have a short list of personal favorites that I enjoy even after a year or two.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 21:49:12 (permalink)
    You guys are makin' me cry...

My top two (off the top of my head) would have to be Everything I Do and He Ain't Heavy, by everybody knows who...
    jsykes
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 21:50:52 (permalink)
    At the top of my list would be Paul Russell's mix of "Believe It"

http://www.calamitypop.com/audio/Calamity-Pop-Believe-It.mp3

The creativity of that track is great.
    post edited by jsykes - 2008/08/16 09:36:49

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    Electoharmonix, Digitech, Tubescreamer, AdrennaLinn
    Advice from forum members
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 22:31:35 (permalink)
    The was a song posted once...I think on this forum or maybe on Home Recording dot com by 'Scud' called What's the Rush?

I thought it was pretty bloody good. Some sensational harmony singing and some sweet guitar and production work.

Check it out if you can track it down...should be on soundclick...just search for scud I suppose.
    robby
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 22:56:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jsykes

At the top of my list would be Paul Russell's mix of "Believe It"

The creativity of that track is great.

Thanks, could you post the link? So we call can enjoy it?

==================

jsykes
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 23:00:36 (permalink)
    Robby: I linked the title to Paul's post. Its linked there. He keeps mp3s on his own server.

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/15 23:58:10 (permalink)
    three that stand out in my mind as all-time favorites:

RLD - turn and walk away (original songs forum link broken):
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=1985921

ona meyer - walk away from love (posted here a long time ago but i can't find it in the songs forum):
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=74544790

opensky - the dream is over:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=1143466

- jack the ex-cynic
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 00:28:48 (permalink)
    ha ha there's a lot of love in this room, thank you.

Jack, I've re-worked three of Ona's tracks, including Walk Away From Love, and you can hear those remixes on the Calamity Studio website at
    http://www.calamitystudio.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=45

Ona's a class act.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 01:40:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

I dunno I'm consistently gob-smacked by the quality here overall.

I tend to be taken by songs more than production quality and by that token there is a wealth of creativity here that transcends a lot of formulaic mediocrity that gets rammed down yer throat by the 'popular' broadcast media.

Some talk here about insincerity and saccharine backslapping recently I'm not really interested in that, I CHOOSE to come here out of preference to 100's of other places not out of any kind of obligation. Here everyone is free to express their musicality at whatever level and in any way without having any need to conform to any benchmark of merchantability (unless they want to do that) and there is very little that gets posted that doesn't inspire something in me.

Choosing a top song overall though is hard to do although my top 3 currently are these ones, and I reckon they've all got staying power, the first two very much fall into 'good song' territory while No. 3 is very much a sheer celebration of musical ability and production loveliness.

1. Rick (No How et. famille): Now Shall My Head Be Lifted Up. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1460421
    2. Mamabear: See the Hope. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1457026
    3. Paul Russell feat Geoff Oakes and M: Them Changes. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1454181

The thing is there will be a fresh batch of similarly outstanding material over the next 7 days.

An embarrassment of riches.

How to choose the best song I've ever heard here? Now THAT is a question.

edit: added Links

Hey, you're making me all wobbly and soft over here

I do appreciate it more than you know...well, you probably DO know.

I agree about the songs here...way cool things happening and it's a regular renaisance in our very midst.
    I can't even listen to any radio anymore because what's on this forum is SO MUCH BETTER.
    Choosing is way too hard for me.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 10:58:58 (permalink)
    I do not think this kind of thread is appropriate. I do not want to engage in a popularity contest here. That sort of thing risks developing a clique driven elitist attitude which I prefer to avoid. I would hope that most members who post here are "newbies" and they would have no objective way of participating in this conversation, but could very well end up using what they see here as some sort of measure for success and that would be unfortunate, as it is meaningless. It is also somewhat self-congratulatory.

I say this without malice or anger.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    robby
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 11:04:38 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, a lot of those songs I had never heard, and they were excellent!

==================

jsykes
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 12:29:36 (permalink)
    "I do not think this kind of thread is appropriate."

I disagree, without malice or anger.

Forum members used to have lots of contests in this room and I enjoyed participating in the voting. By titling this thread "best ever" Robby implied opinion because best and ever are pure subjective concepts that can't be defined.

There also used to be massive flame wars in this very room, which, while I'm glad don't happen here as much, did have an entertainment value all their own.

I think this thread is great and would submit that it would be cool if Robby aggregated all the song links in order of post in the OP so we could refer to them. It would be good for mix reference and to spur creativity if you ever hit a wall.

post edited by jsykes - 2008/08/16 12:54:27

Sonar Homestudio XL
    Dell laptop
    Echo Layla
    Takamine EAN-15C
    Ibanez Artcore
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 13:47:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: foxwolfen
    I do not think this kind of thread is appropriate. I do not want to engage in a popularity contest here. That sort of thing risks developing a clique driven elitist attitude which I prefer to avoid. I would hope that most members who post here are "newbies" and they would have no objective way of participating in this conversation, but could very well end up using what they see here as some sort of measure for success and that would be unfortunate, as it is meaningless. It is also somewhat self-congratulatory.

I say this without malice or anger.

like jsykes, i also disagree with this line of thinking, not only for the reasons he stated but because there are songs here that merit recognition - songs that have connected with each of us as individuals for one reason or another in a meaningful way.

and now, without too much malice but a little bit of anger:

let's please put aside the pretenses and stop acting like there is a single person here who puts up a song who isn't hoping for recognition. let's stop pretending that no song is better than another song, even if we all know that is based on subjective qualities. let's stop pretending that there is nothing to strive for and no examples to benefit from.

this attempt to automatically validate everything and ignore what works and what doesn't is what is meaningless. it is one thing to create what has essentially become an amateur musicans' support group, it is another to undermine the motivation someone might have to continuously grow in their musical experience.

first honest song critiques and now "best of" threads. next we will move on to inequality of post counts. i'll get things started. shame on all of you, for not making sure each song post gets the exact same number of replies and a hot topic icon.

- jack the ex-cynic
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 19:08:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jsykes

I think this thread is great and would submit that it would be cool if Robby aggregated all the song links in order of post in the OP so we could refer to them. It would be good for mix reference and to spur creativity if you ever hit a wall.

That would be very sad if it becomes the norm here.

There is utterly no objective way of determining "the best", so it is nothing other than a "personal popularity" contest.

I am not here to compete with others. I come here for peer to peer interaction. There are plenty of sites with plenty of competitions.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    dlogan
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 20:23:15 (permalink)
    Based on the song (not necessary the recording, mixing, etc) for me it would be close tie between Acrobat's Supper "When the Devil Gives Up" and Slow Marching Band's "Goin' Home". Both are great, great songs... I'm sure I'm snubbing some others that are right up there with them but these two quickly come to mind...

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    Freeze1st
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1213
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 21:57:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

My vote is Acrobat's Supper, My Love will find you, I've teared up listening to this song, it is "truely" amazing.

Does anyone else have an all time favorite tune posted on this forum? And if so, what was it?

First : Music is not a contest, and you are wrong for trying to do so. Music is something for everyone to hear and the sounds regardless of how they may be should either be liked or not. IMO . You are talking about what people like to hear and trying to put a standard on what's the best and you are wrong for that. I'm sure you will come up with some smartazz remark that's funny to respond to me, that's ok though, your joking is an insult a lot of times to people when they are being serious. Just thought I would mention that.

As for how a tune might sound as being the best posted here on the forums : that's a matter of opinion.

I for one don't like this tune, that doesn't mean it ain't any good, I'm just saying that I don't like it, therefore I can't offer an honest opinion on it. It's just not my style of playing or what I listen to everyday and hear for the most part.

Well, I guess I just pizzed everybody off for saying that : "I don't like something".

I'm an honest person and I don't need COMIC RELIEF to silently MAKE FUN of me or OTHERS....... Just thought I would mention that..........

FREEZE1ST!!!

MC4,Bossbr1600,Maudio2496,Vista HP, Stinger Electric Guitar,New York Pro Bass, MXL V67
    dlogan
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 22:18:20 (permalink)
    Freeze1st - buddy... you don't like the way some people are using the forum. Some people don't like the way you are using the forum. Can't you just ignore the posts you don't like or if it's so intolerable find another forum? I've never seen a situation where someone who is not a forum mod and has the ability to delete posts and ban users has been able to change how other people are using the forum, so I think you are only going to get more and more frustrated...

Peace

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    robby
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 23:01:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Freeze1st

ORIGINAL: robby

First : Music is not a contest, and you are wrong for trying to do so. Music is something for everyone to hear and the sounds regardless of how they may be should either be liked or not. IMO . You are talking about what people like to hear and trying to put a standard on what's the best and you are wrong for that. I'm sure you will come up with some smartazz remark that's funny to respond to me, that's ok though, your joking is an insult a lot of times to people when they are being serious. Just thought I would mention that.

As for how a tune might sound as being the best posted here on the forums : that's a matter of opinion.

I for one don't like this tune, that doesn't mean it ain't any good, I'm just saying that I don't like it, therefore I can't offer an honest opinion on it. It's just not my style of playing or what I listen to everyday and hear for the most part.

Well, I guess I just pizzed everybody off for saying that : "I don't like something".

I'm an honest person and I don't need COMIC RELIEF to silently MAKE FUN of me or OTHERS....... Just thought I would mention that..........

FREEZE1ST!!!

I have insulted "no one" please re-read everything I've said here "carefully", then read your rude angry post. I'm sure you'll probably threaten to leave again and be back tomorrow. My opinions are my own, I'm not criticizing anyone else, this forum and the world would be a much nicer place if people were allowed to express their own opinions without crap like this, or high ground moralistic "OH NO! YOU MUST LOOK AT THINSG THE WAY I VIEW THEM". This and other posts here are "pure, unadulterated, BS". I am a free man protected by the constitution, it's too bad the simple statements made here can be found so offensive, by me saying that I particularly like this performer, or this song. Jesus! Grow up!!

==================

RobertB
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 23:22:02 (permalink)
    I can see where Shad is coming from, but at the same time, there have been songs posted here that have inspired or touched me, sometimes deeply, that I think deserve some recognition. A "best" would be hard, if not impossible to pick. Too many variables for style and taste.
    However some of my personal favorites have been(in no particular order):
    Kennywtelejazz:A tear for you
    Bill Davies(Tonecarver): Across the Oceans
    James Lingree(james1213): My Brave Boy
    Stephen Foster:Burn
    DeBro:Nyabhingi Style
    dcumpian:Voyager leaves Solar System
    For me, these are memorable standouts, and some are fairly old, but I still enjoy listening to them.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    robby
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/16 23:33:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Rob, do you have links for these? I've never heard any of them, and that's what I was trying to get at, really great music that I have not heard or been exposed to, as opposed to stiring up a hornest nest, Thanks.

==================

jacktheexcynic
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/17 01:34:47 (permalink)
    don't sweat it robby. most of us don't need an artificially leveled playing field to feel validated musically. most of us are here to share, enjoy and learn, and not just share. but some of us will not be happy no matter what we do.

- jack the ex-cynic
    RobertB
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/17 01:47:44 (permalink)
    A Tear For You
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4256446
    A haunting song, that paints a vivid picture of the aftermath of a fierce battle.
    Across the Oceans
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5872870
    If I had to pick a favorite, I think this would be it. Lovely textures, and Nick's bass is to die for.
    My Brave Boy
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4540140
    After nearly three years, this one still gives me chills.
    Sadly, the links to Stephen Foster and DeBro evade me, but I have downloaded MP3's.
    Voyager Leaves Solar System
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6734768
    This one tells it s story in a very visual and captivating style.
    These may not be everybodies "best", but they grab me, no matter how many times I listen to them.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/17 01:55:56 (permalink)
    hey shad, don`t think of it that way, look at it as another chance to listen to some old songs that got rolled under as new one`s came in and we forget cause there are so many songs here to listen too. Also there`s nothing wrong with a little self indulgence every once in a while, damn if you can`t please yourself how could you ever expect to please other people just my 2 cents if it`s no good just email half back LOL

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    rolifer@verizon.net
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1676
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/17 02:00:02 (permalink)
    Let's all be honest here for a second.

I will go first

All of the best pieces I have heard here have all be composed by the same individual. His name is Ron and he goes by the moniker of rolifer.

There are a number of other pieces that are very good here, but if Ron wanted to hear that kind of music, he would have composed it himself.

Now that everyone is convinced I am an arrogant bastard, you're right, I am.

But my guess is that so are you. If you didn't think your music was the best, why did you post it?

Realistically speaking, I know my music will never show up on anyone's best list. I compose classical music which is rare in this forum and even in more classically related forums, my music is frowned upon by many because it doesn't fit the accepted mould. I have known this for a long time and accept that my music isn't for everyone. I still post and greatly enjoy any and all comments. I even believe some of them from time to time.

Right now my favorite posted piece of music is

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1461407

Hopefully that will change once I compose a new piece.

I do agree with Shad. Lists such as these are usually leaning towards popularity contests more than anything else. Newbies get lost and the older members get upset if they are not on the list so what is the point? On the other hand, If I missed the next greatest piece of music in the world, I would like to hear it.

Please keep in mind that this is all satire, but even within satire, there is some truth.

Ron

wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: OT-Best song ever on the Songs forum? 2008/08/17 04:07:53 (permalink)
    Best song ever on the song forums?

are you kidding me?

have you been here since the first day cakewalk started this site?

Have you listened to every song ever posted?

did you listen more than once?

Answer: NO

Come on Peeeeeeeples

And
    Just for Fun
    A tune -----hear the melody ......

Sunshine go away today
    I don't feel much like dancin......

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1