Lockedoh great... shootout at my fast food stop

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 08:26:13 (permalink)
I can't help worry though that if everyone walking around with guns "just in case" or "to protect themselves" will lead to some sort of self fulfilling prophesy of unnecessary violence. Obviously I hope not, but it just seems odd to me.

No... it won't. back a number of years ago.... when some states were in the process of enacting legislation to allow their Law abiding Citizens to carry concealed weapons (CCW) the anti gun groups like the Brady bunch and others were quite vocal about minor issues turning into gun fights. They said it about Florida and they said it about us here in NC. Well, they passed the law, and people began arming themselves by the thousands. Currently here in NC, all the concealed carry classes are full with waiting lists and gun shops are not affected by the recession.

A strange thing happened..... there were no gun fights on the streets by Law abiding citizens with CCW.... as a matter of FACT.... and quite a few studies were done on this issue by both sides.... the violent crime rate actually decreased by a big margin over time. When a criminal doesn't know if a potential victim is armed...they are more cautious. After all, a robbery could be a deadly situation for them if the victim is armed.

And the opposite is also a proven and known fact. Ban guns from local Law abiding Citizens, like they have done in Washington DC, NYC, San Fransisco, NJ, and other places..... and the violent crime goes up. These cities are some of the most dangerous places in America, because the criminals know that NOBODY has a weapon assembled and ready for use.

BTW: the number of CCW holders who have used their weapon in an illegal manner is so very small... just a handful compared to the number of CCW's.

Another fact: you are more likely to be shot by a law enforcement officer than by a CCW holder...and there's hundreds of thousands more CCW's on the streets than law enforcement officers.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/04/02 08:29:36

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 08:26:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Monkey23

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

I guess what I was saying is that maybe the issue of why you would need to carry a gun (to work and church) should be the question on everybody's minds.

I'm sure you read the other posts here.... so basically.... for self defense and protection of my family. No place is safe today........from the schools where our children go to learn, to the stores we shop in and the resturants we eat at and even now.... the churches where we go to worship. You never know where the next "crazy" might pop up..... so I stand prepared, and pray that he never pops up near me....because I will defend my life and my family.

Sorry, Guitarhacker. When I said "you" I meant "you" in the general sense, not you personally. I understand your position. I'm not sure I agree with it, but I'm not sure I disagree with it either.

I can't help worry though that if everyone walking around with guns "just in case" or "to protect themselves" will lead to some sort of self fulfilling prophesy of unnecessary violence. Obviously I hope not, but it just seems odd to me.

That's the old "OK Corral" or "Dodge City" syndrome the Brady Campaign and other gun banners (the Clintons, Nancy Pelosi, the Obamassiah and others) worry about but has NEVER happened where CCW laws exist or have been loosened from not being able to carry. I'm talking about legally carrying members of the public, not gang-bangers and criminals.

Jack
Qapla!
jackn2mpu
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 08:41:47 (permalink)

BTW: the number of CCW holders who have used their weapon in an illegal manner is so very small... just a handful compared to the number of CCW's.

Another fact: you are more likely to be shot by a law enforcement officer than by a CCW holder...and there's hundreds of thousands more CCW's on the streets than law enforcement officers.

The figure I hear for statement #1 here is something like less than 1% and even those are more for inappropriate carry (like forgetting you've got your piece when in a bar or having it in the wrong place when in a motor vehicle) than actual firing of the weapon.

As to #2: this may come as a shock, but most leo's are NOT gun people, despite what you see on Cops or other such shows on the tube. They're more like Barney Fife from Mayberry than Harry Callahan from San Fran.

Jack
Qapla!
Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 09:15:26 (permalink)

A strange thing happened..... there were no gun fights on the streets by Law abiding citizens with CCW.... as a matter of FACT.... and quite a few studies were done on this issue by both sides.... the violent crime rate actually decreased by a big margin over time. When a criminal doesn't know if a potential victim is armed...they are more cautious. After all, a robbery could be a deadly situation for them if the victim is armed.

And the opposite is also a proven and known fact. Ban guns from local Law abiding Citizens, like they have done in Washington DC, NYC, San Fransisco, NJ, and other places..... and the violent crime goes up. These cities are some of the most dangerous places in America, because the criminals know that NOBODY has a weapon assembled and ready for use.

Interesting. How much training are new gun owners required to have - not only as far as actually using the gun - but also in terms of storing it away from children and learning the laws of gun ownership and usage?

Also, what happens if you were for example, to shoot a purse snatcher, and he was to die? Can you be held criminally responsible (provided of course that it is proven that the dead guy was in deed trying to steal your purse)?

Sorry for all the questions, Guitarhacker. These are open questions to anyone who might want to answer me. It's just out of curiosity. Our society here in Canada is set up the complete opposite in terms of this situation, and it seems to work for us (though obviously not perfectly) so it interests me to hear about your country's philosophy.
jackn2mpu
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 09:40:01 (permalink)

Interesting. How much training are new gun owners required to have - not only as far as actually using the gun - but also in terms of storing it away from children and learning the laws of gun ownership and usage?

Also, what happens if you were for example, to shoot a purse snatcher, and he was to die? Can you be held criminally responsible (provided of course that it is proven that the dead guy was in deed trying to steal your purse)?

Sorry for all the questions, Guitarhacker. These are open questions to anyone who might want to answer me. It's just out of curiosity. Our society here in Canada is set up the complete opposite in terms of this situation, and it seems to work for us (though obviously not perfectly) so it interests me to hear about your country's philosophy.

Depends on the jurisdiction. That's the problem here in the US - laws are NOT equally enforced across the country. But in general, for a simple purse-snatching or theft gun use is not allowed. However, if in the act the criminal is causing bodily harm and threatening your life (assault & battery) and you consider your life in reasonable danger, then you may defend yourself as appropriate and as allowed where you are (save for NYC, DC, the whole state of NJ and some others).
Most enlightened jurisdictions allow self defense to one degree or another, some lethal and some non-lethal (pepper spray or Mace).

Jack
Qapla!
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 10:07:28 (permalink)

Michael, I'll try...
I've never attended a class to become licensed to carry a handgun. I can only answer about how things are where I live, Louisiana. For the most, guns are something one grows up with. How to be responsible is taught by dad or mom on hunting trips or evenings of target shooting. Not only shooting but cleaning, storing, sighting in, etc. And not one type of firearm. The lifestyle will include shotguns, rifles and handguns. It is taken very serious. And most carry a gun here...legally or not and mostly in their vehicle.
A friend's son went to Iraq and became the units sharpshooter and leader...no surprise to us. And those around him will feel a little better knowing he's with them.
Another complication with carrying a gun is crossing state lines. One needs to know the laws of the state their in or traveling thru. I do believe there is a law that permits one to carry (rightfully) for protection if they are more than 100 miles from home. I wouldn't bank on that alone. It still must be carried in the right (legal) way. Most state laws that I'm aware of the gun and ammo have to be stored seperately. (which may be seen as no good to you at all if needed)
I can see where there are parents or folks that only have a handgun for protection and may not know a thing about it. Very bad.
On question two..the same thing will happen that would happen for any criminal or hostile advance on another person, with or without a gun. You can/will be prosecuted. The court will determine what happened and what's going to happen.

Michael as with many things...the parents have a responsibility to raise their young ones right. If you're going to have weapons, learning properly is key and that applies to everybody. Unfortunately we know there can always be a loose screw.

Regards,
Michael

correction and spelling
post edited by spacey - 2009/04/02 10:33:06
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 10:19:54 (permalink)
I was given my first 6 shooter on my seventh birthday... I got a hand tooled holster to go with it. Still have it all of course. It's a Colt Frontiersman .22, and it came with both LR and Mag chambers. I wish the holster fit... it's got great style.

It was cool... but it seemed tiny compared to the stuff dad and the guys would let me use on Saturdays when we went out to the earthworks.

That was a typical childhood where I grew up. :-)

When you learn responsibility at an early age it seems natural later on.

Russell.Whaley
  • Total Posts : 2755
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 10:44:30 (permalink)

Good questions. Jack's right, it really does depend on the locale.

Here in the rural upper midwest region, where I was born and raised, guns are not terribly controversial. They're a tool, like a hammer or saw. (And, yes, of course, people can use tools in the wrong way!)

Here in ND, you can get a CCW by passing a written exam, but there is no hands-on training required. For the most part, this isn't a problem because so many of us are hunters; you cannot get a hunting license without having successfully completed a hunter training course, which includes gun safety - not only use, but proper storage. Of course, this doesn't catch everyone, but it does cover a lot of people. The bottom line is, most of us are raised to use them properly and safely. It's not a "Wild West" environment where we'll shoot each other over a disagreement.

I am not supportive of irresponsible weapons ownership in any way. I also don't wish to deprive anyone of the ability to defend him or herself.

As a pastor in a small border town, I'm thankful that there are so many armed persons here, law enforcement and private citizens - there are some scary people that have slipped through into the US OR are trying to exit into Canada who are legitimately dangerous. My church's border ministry has on occasion brought me into contact with some very interesting invididuals. One was a parole jumper with a SWAT standoff in his past who was trying to slip out of the US.

Thankfully, we had help from the sheriff and the Border Patrol, so nothing came of it. He was arrested and extradited back to the state he'd fled from. But... though I am a peace-lover, and will go to great lengths to be peaceful, had that guy assaulted me or someone incapable of effectively defending him/herself, I would have done what was necessary to protect life and limb. I have a wife and small children, and they depend on me for a safe home.

My thoughts for a Thursday morning. Thanks, all, for a good conversation that has been spirited but not ugly.

Russ

In the city, much of the timd

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 13:38:21 (permalink)
I was at my local gun shop a while back. A police range training officer was setting there as well. He commented that he felt the most danger when he was at the range with Police officers. And that he always wore his bullet proof vest when at the range with LEO's. Many accidental shootings and unintentional discharges occur at police ranges. Police are NOT the gun experts many people think they are. Generally, a civilian who has a CCW spends much more time cleaning, dry firing (snapping in....as we called it in the USMC), and target shooting, than 10* LEO's combined. (* not a scientifically verified number)

In NC, you must take and pass an 8 hr course, and demonstrate proficiency in the opinion of the course instructor, before submitting an application to the local sheriff, who will run a background check.

As far as using your weapon for defense, they cover various situations in the class. (videos) If you feel that you life is in danger, or the life of someone else is in danger...from an immediate and present threat...like the criminal has a knife or gun and it's obvious they will use it.
If they have your property...like a purse snatching.... you can not shoot them to protect property. If they're breaking in your home...you can use deadly force (DF), if they are inside your home.... you can not use DF, unless they have a weapon and are coming towards you. If you pull your gun and they stop and retreat, throw their hands up, you can not use DF....even if you are being attacked by someone.....unless you feel your life is in danger.....you can not use DF...of course...all of this is relative, and a jury will be the ones who decide if you were in the right to use DF. Just hope...if you do have to use DF against a slimeball, that I'm setting on your jury.

It's crazy and you really have to think before you squeeze the trigger, or you could be in big trouble.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
pianodano
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1160
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 16:08:29 (permalink)

Our local Walmart has a rent-a-cop that drives around the lot with flashin lights due to the robberies, rapes, kidnappings, and shootouts in their parking lot.

Needless to say, I don't go anywhere with my 9mm. I carry it to church, to work, and to all other places that don't prohibit me from exercising my 2nd amendment right. If they have a "No CCW" sign, I don't do business with them. In NC, there is currently legislation to allow CCW in resturants that serve adult beverages with the meals. I'll be glad when it passes.

Crime and gangs are out of control in the USA..... small towns are not immune, living in the country is not safe anymore..... protect your self..... just ask yourself this question:

Would you rather have a gun and not need it...or need it and not have it?

MOST DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE: in a "gun free zone"... think about it.

Uh.. Where the hell do you live where you need guns at church, and a cop at Wall-mart to prevent rapes and kidnappings?!

I'm not trying to stand on my high horse here, because there is violence everywhere, but this is excessive and by no means normal. This thread should not debate guns vs no guns, but maybe should discuss why your town (state? country?) is so dangerous that it would be deemed reasonable and necessary to bring your gun to work and church!

It sounds like pretty much any ole present day USSA city to me. I suppose there are much more civilized countries though. One that doesn't come to mind right now is jolly old England and it's protestors on the tube last night battling cops and tearing all creation up. It is illegal to own a gun there, right ?

Well that works good.

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 03:54:18 (permalink)
The red flag for me was reading the article where it said that the city actually allowed these kids to congregate in the McDonald's parking lot. In this day and age with a certain demographic, you can almost guarantee there will be "beefs" and weapons. It ain't like "American Graffiti" (which was way before my time, but seems like a similar scenario). You just can't allow large numbers of high-school kids to congregate anywhere anymore.

Thanks to all the rap and hip-hop "artists" who's "music" has aggravated this situation.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
The Maillard Reaction
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 08:32:21 (permalink)
"it said that the city actually allowed these kids to congregate in the McDonald's parking lot."

The article said the property owner allowed the gathering.

There is a night club around the corner... I guess the 24 hour combination MacDs, convienience store, gas station, is the next stop after the club closes.

We have FAMU here in town... it's a historically black college... so we have a lot of young people who might appear to fit some arbitrary profile. They are young and they dress fashionably... they're kids. The night club is part of the FAMU scene... but it's got an *authentic* islands theme... which in Florida is code for "edgy".

It's my guess that the majority of that crowd were not trouble makers but rather young people here in town getting an education.

Sometimes the locals gang culture overlaps with the not so locals college culture.

The main point to consider is that very same location permits crowds many times as large to park and gather and do business during a FSU football game... I think it might be awkward and regrettable for them to start profiling crowds and denying access to some and not others.

best regards,
mike

edit spelling
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/04/03 08:36:54

Nick P
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 16:21:05 (permalink)
I'm not talking about profiling. That would be politically incorrect. However if you look at the statistics of who shoots and gets shot at these kinds of nightclub gatherings, you can draw your own conclusions. I watch the news in SOFLA alot. Where do these types of shootings happen? Again, check the statistics. As a SOFLA native I am aware of FAMU. And also FSU is there too, no?

I don't really have an answer. All I know is that the kids that don't hang out at nightclubs probably are less likely to get shot. There's an old saying, "if you hang around a barbershop long enough, you're probably going to get a haircut".

BTW, being a Florida native, I can't picture any clubs in tally as being edgy. Edgy will be found in NY, L.A., and select spots around the globe. Funny thing is, in those spots, I bet there is less likely to be shootings. Shootings of these types seems to be sort of a "backwoods" culture. Mostly happens in hick places.

The Maillard Reaction
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 17:30:12 (permalink)
I guess you don't like Tallahassee Nick?

Edgy is defined by the number of 911 calls I guess.

The Calypso club is edgy... in a *out there* Creole sort of way. :-)

I've ridden my bicycle in Harlem and Brooklyn Heights as a tourist many times. I've walked the sidewalks of Liberty City with a microphone in my hand... chatting it up with locals. I've driven a rental car in to Watts to see the Towers.

You can find edgy anywhere.

It seems like you are drawing some sort of arbitrary conclusion. Less likely to have a shooting in Hialeah than Tallahassee??? You're just making that up. :=0

Do you ever get up much?

Are you just one of those frustrated UM music students?

What's yer beef?

post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/04/03 17:43:07

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 19:06:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

I'm not talking about profiling. That would be politically incorrect.

all the rap and hip-hop "artists" who's "music" has aggravated this situation
You know it's funny, the "greenies" who of course vote straight Democratic will be the first guys to scream bloody murder.
Shootings of these types seems to be sort of a "backwoods" culture. Mostly happens in hick places

I don't really have an answer.

Classic.
Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 23:27:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

You know it's funny, the "greenies" who of course vote straight Democratic will be the first guys to scream bloody murder when their precious "shadow" music biz jobs (i.e. too scared to go for it as a musician so become a tech) are cut due to the Dems "spread the wealth" mentality. If you work for a company, you are a capitalist. It's so hypocritical to cruise a cushy job and **** about the capitalist Repubs who get rich off the small guys. How do you think the small guys get their jobs?

Did I miss something? What does this have to do with anything?

This thread is on a topic that normally results in a lot of petty fighting and mud slinging, and yet somehow has remained civil, so far. I personally would hope that it doesn't escalate.
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/03 23:56:05 (permalink)
Well Dem could be a make or model? Like, hey, check out my sweet new Dem .40? It's the best "bang for the buck?" Reminds me of another story... But I won't go "there", but if you insist? One day I actually dialed 867-5309? The rest is somewhat of a blur... That Jenny, what a woman...

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
Nick P
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/04 04:06:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

well, is that it? :-)

Yup, that's it. It was the avatar thing I think. But hey, don't go changin'

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/05 02:46:49 (permalink)
Mike you may remember I went through a time here where I was being stalked. You have my full support in anyway I can be of any help. It is an awful thing to put another human being through simply for making a silly point. It BTW is totally against the TOS. If you need any help let me know. You can PM me or post here if you like. I will not stand by and let another go through what I went through. Anything you want you got.

Best
John
The Maillard Reaction
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/05 08:59:51 (permalink)
I'm ok John.... but thanks very much. I appreciate your thoughts.

It's my hope that Nick and I can grow through this... perhaps Nick can learn to dislike me in a more peaceful and graceful way?

I've been exercising restraint but it is tiring... I do not think Nick is unaware that he is acting violently... I think he fully intends to be hurtful... his statements do require energy to put out of mind.

Maybe the best way to help is to simply demonstrate that people can disagree peaceably.

Thanks again and best regards,
mike

edit for clarity
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/04/05 09:10:43

Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/05 10:45:08 (permalink)
All posts (that I could find) containing profanity have been deleted.

This thread is being locked as it is getting OT and violating the TOS in more than one way.

If you'd like to continue the discussion peacefully - please start a new thread.

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1